Dunkirk is lame

I have to be honest, the Dunkirk evacuation makes for a shitty movie. It's just a historical incident about Allied soldiers losing and having to retreat.

Nolan and the Brits want to play it up as some "triumph of the British spirit" bullshit, but it wasn't. It was the aftermath of a military failure that involved using civilian boats to get guys out of France. It would be interesting to read a non-fiction book about it, but it's not suitable for a big-budget movie. There's no characters, there's no plot, and there's no message. It's just "look at some of these guys eventually eat jam on toast".

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812
youtube.com/watch?v=PndNRMUmuBE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Orleans
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Saratoga
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Yorktown
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_War_of_1812_Battles
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Battalion_(Europe,_World_War_II)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's unironically one of the greatest propaganda stunts of history.

Turning a defeat into a victory where the common man actually thought he was doing his bit to win the war

Like all war movies from the winning side (and many from the losing side) it's mostly masturbation, but in the post SPR-era you have to hide your masturbation behind a facade of "grit" and faux objectivity. At least when John Wayne shot Gooks in Vietnam it was genuine in its simplicity and lacked the dishonesty of the modern war film. As I said, this is mostly due to Spielberg and later Band of Brothers changing the rules.

Nolan is a hack

Churchill is a hack who could've easily saved all 400k (French included) but didn't want to spare any destroyers or planes because fuck actual people we need machines to win the war

You had to be there.

>you will never be an american getting this upset over a movie
apocalypse now is shit because the US lost!

Churchill himself said DIRECTLY AFTERWARDS that this was a colossal military defeat. Fuck off you retards, it's called the Miracle of Dunkirk for a reason.

It's as if God himself swept away the rough sea.

It's mentioned explicitly that it was a military disaster, and the soldiers repeatedly mention feelings of failure.

That being said, the evacuation was an incredible effort and a success.

film about operation cottage when

too bad its kino americlap

Did you watch the film? This is explained in it.

Destroyers entering the harbour, and perhaps being sunk, would have blocked the harbour for more boats. Hence, one destroyer at a time. There were plenty of ships.

You're probably an American teenager. Hence cannot comprehend this film at all.

>t-there is no british spirit!
>usa is t-the best!

> Americans

Haha, Jesus. Americans literally lose against no one.

Reminder that survival (of the anglo) is victory.

Britbong soldiers are worthless. Their commanders are worse. Have you seen A Bridge Too Far? Better to save the ships and hope to fight the Germans in the air and on the sea.

>vietnam
lol

I agree with you OP.

I really like Nolan's work but why make a WW2 movie about a retreat? Even Churchill said "wars are not won by retreats".

I guess you could be happy your army wasnt completrly obliterated.

He should have made a film about the eastern front where the actual war was fought.

>TheWar of 1812(1812–1815) was a conflict fought between theUnited Statesand theUnited Kingdomand their respective allies. Historians in Britain often see it as a minor theater of theNapoleonic Wars; however, in the United States andCanada, it is seen as a war in its own right.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812

Pound-for-pound the best soldiers in the world.

Anglo-Saxon warrior spirit combined with superior tactical nous and technology.

Americans were/are just fodder.

Why was Patton the only General worth shit during WW2

t. plot driven surface-level casual manbaby who needs fake empathy/sentimality with one big ending exposition "message"

>It would be interesting to read a non-fiction book about it

you dont have history books in america ?

> why make a WW2 movie about a retreat?
Typical American response. You don't understand the point of the movie at all.

> He should have made a film about the eastern front where the actual war was fought.
Because Britain didn't fight on the Eastern Front.

>gooks which you had to retreat from and then nuke civvies
LMAO

SOME FOLKS WERE BORN
MAAAAAAAAAAADE TO SHART THE MART
OOH THEY'RE COVERED IN POOOOOOOOOO

Dunkirk literally ends with exposition proclaiming them as heros

he wasnt?

the fuck you on about? nazi and russian generals were far superior

>ship hits a sea mine
>"battle"
what point are you trying to make

AINT ME
AINT ME
I AM A WIFES SON
>cant drive a boat

>literally no enemies there
>have all the time in the world to take it slow and check for traps
>still too stupid to see the mine

If it weren't for America, Britain would be speaking German right now

It was a movie about survival, both individually and of a nation, about persistence, about what it really means to be a man, about the pant-shitting terror of war and the effort of an entire nation, even old civilians and women to persist and survive
But such noble ideas are above a drooling retard like yourself so despite all the dive-bombing and dogfights it couldn't hold your attention because war is about more than the masturbatory action but an actual matter involving logistics and hard decisions

Step it up lad if I can wrap my burger brain around it surely you can

>Why did a British director make a film about an event that the U.K calls 'The Miracle of Dunkirk'
>American education literally produces people of this caliber

>sold arms to both sides
all the USA did was prolong it
the russians actually won it

>why make a WW2 movie about a retreat?
Why not? You ameritards really can't even fathom that a ww2 film can be something other than the usual WE THE BEST LET'S KILL ALL THE EBIL NAZIS SO HEROIC SO PATRIOTIC SO VICTORIOUS shootout gorefest narrative. A film set in ww2 can be literally about whatever, and this is a suspense thriller about transporting a fuckload of people from point A to point B set in a war setting.

>Russian Generals

Don't make laugh, the zerg rush isn't even a notable strategy

>British ((((((((((men))))))))))

>suspense thriller about transporting a fuckload of people from point A to point B

Holy FUCK that sounds intense. Hopefully someone makes a Psychological Thriller about whether Susan from Accounting can finish her paperwork before closing time!!

>works
>somehow a bad strategy
Napoleon was a shit general I guess because its literally what he did

Bullshit. And you know it.

Did the French end up speaking German? Or the Czechs? No, of course not.

And Hitler loved the British.

The Anglo-Saxons had a nation of millions and were conquered by 5,000-9,000 Normans and French adventurers.

You have to look at it from a non-US perspective user

We as Americans have tons of cool battles and liberations but for the rest of the Allies it was losses until we came in so they don't have much to work with

WE'D NEVER MAKE A FILM ABOUT A MILITARY LOSS RIGHT GUYS

I SAID RIGHT GUYS

GUYS

GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYS

youtube.com/watch?v=PndNRMUmuBE

who the fuck stops their flank mid-assault?
The germans gave away what could of been 300,000 dead allies/POW's.

this has to be a joke
>millions
>also unarmed peasants count as combatants

>Implying the USA,USSR and UK weren't all vital for victory
>Remove any one of them, you cant win

They also showed a military victory at the end.

Common people were never involved in war until the the 1890s or so.

The Norman invasion was aristocracy fighting aristocracy, literally nothing changed for the common man.

> oh, look, my local archbishop is now a Norman
Wow.

no, it has to be a competition, USA is the best

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Orleans

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Saratoga

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Yorktown

How many peasants were genocided when William scoured North England?

this competition isn't about being the least white, paco.

although you do win that one.

if they knew the Japanese had left they wouldn't have had this operation in the first place

>be american special forces
>get raped by sand

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_War_of_1812_Battles
lol

That doesnt change what happened

>if you criticise Dunkirk as a meaningless event in ww2 it was you're an american

wow brits sure are idiots

keep telling us how Dunkrik helped the allies in any way

>Nolan and the Brits want to play it up as some "triumph of the British spirit" bullshit,

Did you even watch the film? The only people to fire shots in anger are the french

the brits are the ones who run away only to be shot in the back or drown, it's more of a survival film than anything

pretty sure they didn't try and turn it into a victory.
Also, 300,000~ is not a small amount of soldiers and getting them back to safety to fight another day is a small victory in of itself compared to them all killed or captured..

t.american

Yes, because no other ship in history has ever hit a mine.

>he didn't get it

the UK embassy in Washington posted this.

Americucks got super salty lol

kek

it's like you can't fucking read, paco.

Clearly you can't. You must be an American.

why don't they make this?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Battalion_(Europe,_World_War_II)

It hits all the SJW progressive buttons that hollywood loves and i-Ooooooohhhh, it's asians, nevermind. Hollywood only wants to milk the black diversity cake.
And given recent casting decisions, they'd p[probably cast 30% chinese, 50% blacks, and 3 whites and 1 quarter japanese woman for the 442nd.

Kept Britain in the fight, thereby securing the jumping-off point for the Normandy invasions and keeping the Atlantic and North Africa campaigns on the go.

>Americans trying to get in one of the "we was the eternal enemy of great-Britain grrrr!" thing
>while pulling these weak as fuck ""bants""
Please leave this to the French who actually know what we're doing.

At least you're aware of your nature americunt.

Jesus you're retarded.

>murricut tries to false flag

absolute jej

> they'd p[probably cast 30% chinese, 50% blacks, and 3 whites and 1 quarter japanese woman for the 442nd.
They already cast britcucks as irish, and welsh as germans and many other such instances because if they look close enough it doesn't matter.
There's no sense in getting upset over something so trivial weeb.

COUGHsaving private ryanCOUGH

Literally the so called amazing scene involves hanks turning his head and a ridiculous guy with no leg. Of course, everyone loves it cause its american...

Yeah, you must hate yourself so much that you curse the very land you come from. It's quite sad.

if it was 50% black it would be american, their country literally is 50% black

unlike you, i'm

1) white
2) still have a foreskin
3) not an amerifat

>a movie about running away
HAAAAAAAAHAA

>British are the best

If it was in defense of the religion of peace it would be quintessentially British.

did you just describe every vietnam movie

>lost to rice farmers

you mean when the obvious asian casting in Dr Strange, Ghost in the Shell, Iron Fist?
Yea, ok. Let's not deride them too hard now, because that'd be unfair to hollywood, and let's be honest "asians! lol" amiright?

>a-america is w-white guys
>r-really

Hey, remember that time when America asked you for your former empire and all your territory? Neither do I, but they took it anyway.

Sorry it's not The Expendables

>when his country 56% white and got 911'd
could be worse!

>Dr Strange, Ghost in the Shell, Iron Fist?
Stay salty weeb.

remember when you got colonised by jews, mexicans and blacks? How do you feel that your only overseas land is fucking hawaii?

remember that time you asked to touch your wifes son, and after the doctor took the tip, he asked for 40 bucks?

>when his country is now the property of the caliphate and experiences terror attacks regularly

It's called de-escalation, in America he would've been shot 150 times by 16 officers because they were too scared or too lazy to try and take him alive.

>when you willingly submit to a kenyan twice but still try to claim whiteness

>just posts images because he is literally unable to counter the hard facts that his nation is leagues less white than anywhere in europe
At least we arent circumsized at birth fucking can you imagine!

burgerbash thread?

burgerbash thread