What do you think of DC's latest crop of superstar writers (not necessarily great just popular writers) versus the new...

what do you think of DC's latest crop of superstar writers (not necessarily great just popular writers) versus the new 52 batch

>Steve Orlando
>Tom King
>Tim Seeley
>Ben Percy
>Rob Williams
>Rucka, Ennis and Priest are back

Then:
>Scott Snyder
>Jeff Lemire
>Charles Soule
> James Tynion IV
>Ray Fawkes
maybe some others I'm missing

The current crop is ridiculously better.

You're obviously cherry picking but now is better because King.

also wanted to mention DC had Paul Cornell and China Mieville for a time, and Grant Morrison still publishes on and off there

They're much, much better than the New-52 crop. It's also both hilarious and frightening to think that with their superior scouting and talent development program, DC will likely have their next wave up and running once this batch eventually moves onto Marvel to half-ass it after their exclusives expire.

You missed out Morrison, Robinson and Johns.

Their scouting really is ridiculously good but them constantly losing talent to marlel is pretty pathetic.

>Robinson
>Good
>Star at all
no

Isn't Tynion still there now?

remember when ales kot wrote 4 really good issues of suicide squad and then they shit the bad on that? good times

His Earth 2 for new 52 was great.

There is no money in loyalty

Will Mieville ever return or he's mad at DC for cancelling Dial H?

yes he's writing 'tec and just finished being the architect to dc's last weekly

They were meh issues and the person DC replaced him with is Kindt and Kindt is much better than Kot, Mind MGMT is amazing. Kot can at best be readable but for the most part he is awful. DC dodged a bullet.

Is steve even doing anything in DC i haven't heard anything since midnighter.

That was pre burbank move DC. They seem to be pretty chill with creators nowadays.

at least Kot is willing to experiment and challenge comics. kindt's indie books are amazing agreed but his squad was terrible

He'll be writing Supergirl and Night of the monster men.

>Their scouting really is ridiculously good but them constantly losing talent to marlel is pretty pathetic.
And...? Most artists and writers write for both regularly and with the exception of a couple mainstays that fit them like a glove (Morrison, Johns, etc.) DC is more happy to go with the younger talent with new ideas than established vets like Marvel. Compare Millar's, Soule's, Lemire's etc. DC work with their Marvel. The thing I'm actually shocked about is that it seems to work in reverse as well, since Humphries is writing something that's actually relatively entertaining compared to his Marvel work.

Maybe DC should offer money to(exclusives). I think they're royally fucking up by giving Timms and Abnett and Merino exclusives but not to Ferreyra.

you know who shit the bed really hard? Marvel
Marvel 2008-2013 had an unbeatable crop of superstar writers and now they have literally who's and DC leftovers

Nah. They recently(last 4-10 months) lost Aco, Saiz, Del Rey, Kuder...

Too bad Kot won't be writing anything for the big two now. He's reached nirvana now and beyond corporate comics.

Zero was really good up through the end (i'm a fan of burroughs what can I say) Material was really bad, and Wolf is decent so far

>at least Kot is willing to experiment and challenge comics.
Did you seriously not read Mind MGMT? because what you're saying is crazy

As for Kot, he isn't challenging shit.

>but his squad was terrible
Agreed, Kot's was better but it still wasn't great and since then Kot has only made garbage.

you missed the part where I said kindt's indie books are amazing.

I did read Mind MGMT and its fantastic yes. I wasn't so much comparing them so much as making a statement about kot's work. Material may not be good but its still challenging a lot of what kind of stories you can tell in comics

Those seem to be business minded moves rather than pissing off creators, which DC did a lot during early new 52. They seem chill down now.

DC is not Marvel, they can't afford to throw money around to keep the talent there. All they can do it produce enough quality work to make enough money and keep the talents happy

I swear this is the fucking WWF WCW shit all over again

seriously they had
>hickman
>gillen
>Remender
>Fraction
>Rucka

and on the artist side they weren't too shabby either
>aja
>mcniven
>opena
>Weaver

also Brubaker and Aaron (still have Aaron but he's shit now)

Read the whole post, if they can afford to throw money at fucking Tims and Merino then they could afford to throw money at Ferreyra instead.

Whats funny is that many of Marvels star writers went to image and then moved to hollywood. Also King more than makes up for any talent lost.

They can afford a few, but not everyone, so you gotta choose who gets the big bucks and who gets the shaft

And you chose Merino and Timms over Ferreyra. Right. Good decision.

Timms has been on Harley's book which has been DC's third best selling book behind Batman and JL, of course they want to keep that guy

Does anyone know what kind of benefits exclusive creators get? How much money compared to the regular ones?

Isn't Hardin the usual artist for HQ?

Exclusive means you get a steady paycheck every month. Work for hire means you get money for every page you turn in. So you end up making more money/month.

Eh... those are really more of the standard talent rotation. Saiz was primarily in their New-52 wave and left some time ago. Aco did some New-52 work but was particularly notable for the DCYou stuff. Kuder did the tail-end of New-52 stuff and DCYou stuff and that volume of Constantine is done and they probably didn't have Del Rey in mind for anything. Comics are an artistic product and each writer and artist bring different styles and are good at expressing different things with their work. It's likely nothing in their planned Rebirth lineups was a good fit for their particular talents or they had other people in mind.

And Midnighter/Apollo

Hey, I'm not saying DC made the right call. I'm just saying that's probably why they didn't chose Ferreyra

>Steve Orlando
He's like what a Marvel writer would be if they weren't complete pieces of shit
>Tom King
Hasn't bought into his own hype like Snyder did
>Tim Seeley
>Ben Percy
>Rob Williams
Currently DC's literally whos, but they have great potential to become industry stars
>Rucka, Ennis and Priest are back
Always enjoyable but they don't pack the punch they used to
>Scott Snyder
Tiresome but All-Star Batman looks rad as shit
>Jeff Lemire
Boring, needs to stay at Marvel
>Charles Soule
Better than Lemire but only by a small margin
>James Tynion IV
Harper Row is dumb but otherwise he's okay
>Ray Fawkes
Not sure yet

part of me misses new 52 era though because there was a clear and dividing line between the good and the shit now its blurred a little more and its harder to tell what to stick with.

If you want me to say it then fine: DC still has the better pool of artist and especially writers, but losing those guys was not ideal, especially when they still have crappy writers and artists doing work for them. No need to be such a company man and defend everything hey do./ Hell, Saiz and Del Rey's works for Marvel don't look as good as their DC stuff, but they're still good artists that DC should've tried to keep.

What is Ennis back doing?

>Ennis
>Doesn't pack the punch
Just because he didn't write for big two a lot in the past five years, he's bad now?
fury: My war gone by, war stories and other war related stories, rover red charlie and crossed have been great.

Timms is part of the Harley Quinn team, which is producing one of the bestselling books in comics. The Rebirth book is pretty much a continuation of the previous Harley book and doesn't have a planned change to the look and feel of the comic, so it makes sense.

Merino's been with the company for 15 years. He's basically a house artist and knows what DC wants.

Ferreya's good, but Gotham by Midnight is done, they're going with a different style for Suicide Squad and currently only need him as backup for Green Arrow.

This isn't about keeping generally good talent. It's about keeping the right talent for the things you want to do.

Sixpack and Dogwelder: Hard travelling heroes and Dick dastardly and Muttley,

>Lemire and Soule went to Marvel and Marvel lost King and Abnett.
It's not fair. It's not fair goddamn it.

This gets me so fucking mad. Not a single guy is left from that era besides Aaron and Gillen (and he's on Darth Vader.)

I want Hickman at DC dammit, on a legion of doom book because lord knows the man loves his evil illuminati type books

>If you want me to say it then fine: DC still has the better pool of artist and especially writers, but losing those guys was not ideal, especially when they still have crappy writers and artists doing work for them.
Thing is, you're just focusing on them as "these guys are good" and not "these guys are good for what we want to do." I like Aco. Dude's great. But Aco is slow as fuck and they're moving to a bi-monthly schedule. Plus they likely don't have his particular skillset in mind for what they want to do with their books. Darwyn Cooke was one of my favorite artists, but he's wasn't fucking suited to do Deathstroke.

ewww no

Justice League is a drop, and arguably Action Comics as well. Batman and Wonder Woman (if you don't mind a bit of decompression) are top pulls, maybe Superman/Nightwing/Green Arrow/Detective Comics. Everything else is "if you like the character, you won't be disappointed"

Well now that you're mentioning it, Aco would be a great fit for Deathstroke. You're right that he's slow as shit though, dude can barely keep up with a monthly schedule.

>I like Aco. Dude's great. But Aco is slow as fuck and they're moving to a bi-monthly schedule.
But there's a Midnighter and Apollo mini coming later this year and since you've got the same writer as Midnighter, why not the same artist too? He gets a few months head start until it starts, it's monthly and it's a mini so when deadlines creep up on him he finishes. Don't get me wrong, Blanco is a much betetr artist, but they could've still used Aco at DC. Not all the artists they have right now are fast, y'know?
And it's not about styles, because DC has a a lot of different artist with lots of different styles working for them right now.

King isn't going anywhere, and it seems Orlando feels pretty comfy at DC.

And Seeley just firmed an exclusivity contract with DC.

>King isn't going anywhere
For now but in a few years he'll be Marvel exclusive. Hopefully the wheel will turn again and after that he'll come back to DC again.

DC probably offered him in addition to batman a niche character or team that he's a fan of in order to keep him on

Meterial issue 1 and 4 were pretty good desu. And i agree i appreciate that he was trying new stuff. It fell flat but experiments do that lots.

Other way around, he's working on some new pitch right now and DC will be fools if they don't let him do whatever he wants right now.

>Jeff Lemire
>Boring, needs to stay at Marvel
He's doing the best book he has since animal man. He is one of the most inconsistent writers but when he's on his A game he is great. Also Animal Man was beter before Snyder joined the writing team

after marvel is image and after image is doing vanity projects at both DC and Marvel whil your image titles get delayed into oblivion

>these big name writers will never publish thru fantagraphics

>crossed
>great
Is this bait? Smells like bait

>Ferreya's
I am blown away by his Green Arrow stuff. Some of the best action I've scene in western comics. What other stuff with good action should i check out of his?

C-can we hope for The Question written by King?

He hasn't done much comic book work in general. Other than GA he's work on Colder(3 minis) and Gotham By Midnight and they're a bit more horror than action,. But he also did one arc(the last one) of New Suicide Squad with Seeley. Check that out.

Gotham by Midnight (second volume)
New Suicide Squad (vol 4)

Seeley's Squad was so good.

well out of DC's teasers for second wave-ish stuff i.e. rumors he could be on
>shazam
>LOSH
>JSA
>The Atom
>JLA
he's def not on super sons

it was simply a lot of fun. and had a good harley that wasn't a waste on the team

Looks great
Thanks anons

would love to see King on the Atom, Orlando on JSA, Johns on Shazam, Hickman on LOSH, and whoever on JLA

I hated Seeley's Harley. Well, I hate Harley in general but sometimes she's mildly tolerable.

I pray he's on L.E.G.I.O.N.

Would work as a pseudosequel to Omega Men

>Orlando on JSA
Why? He's fairly unproven and he'll most likely have a hard time juggling the big cast.

LOSH or The Atom wpuld be awesome with him. I think he should dip his hand into magic at some point and since he loves to challange himself i think he will. But i don't know if Shazam is the right character for him. He should write a hellblazer book

>Hickman on LOSH

Ferreyra was the star of that short run.

I dunno I just saw him gush about Johnny thunder and jakeem thunder on twitter and him and Johns geeked out over the jsa for a bit too

Buy the Omega Men trade and that might be a possibility. Didio said they'll be looking at trade sales more now.

One of the things that DC has made apparent is that in Rebirth they are pairing creators with books that they have interest in. Orlando is a JSA fan so people have been picking him for it also because they like his work.

I would probably prefer Abnett on it though since he is cleaning up Earth-2 and wrote the Convergence mini so he seems somewhat trustful on it anyway. Just seems more fair.

>anybody but a brit writing hellblazer
leads to disastrous results m8

I know he likes the JSA, but I don't think his style would fit.

I don't think LoSH is a good fit tonally. They can get dark at times but I wouldn't put King on it.

>character-centric with a heavy dose of action?
He's the first guy to make midnighter a character beyond gay batman

It was well-written fun though

Ennis' and Moore's crossed were good. Why don't you read them yourself instead of taking Tumblr's opinion?

Abnett is writing too many comics as it is.

But the second half got cluttered when more characters joined up. He works better with a smaller cast.

Yeah that's the only concern, I don't want to stretch him too thin. Might be better for him to just take care of Aquaman and Titans in the long run.

Earth 2: Society is going to be cancelled any day now.

But yeah, between Aquaman and Titans, he's got enough on his plate already.

Didn't know Moore did any Crossed. Ennis is a hack and hasn't writter good shit aince Hellblazer when he cared about a story and not just shock

I think it's heading for a Rebirth

A lot of bat stuff there

Its because despite that talent pool no one really achieved much? AXIS? Uncanny Avengers? Hickvengers? They clearly were all trying so hard to do that "a list" stuff but nothing really stuck. Hawkeye is probably the best they got out of that era along with Daredevil and both those series petered out..