If they become one country, what would the official language be?

If they become one country, what would the official language be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Rr8ljRgcJNM
youtube.com/watch?v=EUxwi71LKQA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

probably french

Esperanto

There wouldn't be an official language.

german

Language: Latin
Capital: Rome

esperanto

French

>they
you're here too, Czechanon

Arabic

Arabic

Orcish, the Black Speech of Mordor

Rome to the Allah

Vatican city will have Europe Supreme Imam ; )

German, and the capital should be Berlin

Should be German because there simply are more native German speakers than French speakers.
Anyways, even after the bongs left for practicle reasons it should stay English. Very simple language that anyone already speaks.

Arabic before the plot twist is revealed and they have to learn language of their Hebrew Masters
Meanwhile over in states I could care less, it is not home place of Europeans and the Injuns and Mexicans have more right to it, I just want Europe to be okay
Hitler-kun is that you

English or German 2bh

I'd rather be dead

/thread

unironically German

English.
UK is out for good btw.

suomi :DDD

Swiss German

Kek, for now

Pic related, not even a question.
It has a simple grammar, a sane orthography without diacritics and similar, it is derived mainly from Romance languages thus it is pleasant to the ear and it wasn't created by a Jew like Esperanto so conspiratards can't play that angle.

Damn.

A mix of german, french and english.

Latin

English - French - German, one of those three, even though we're talking "what if" here and Europe united as one country and sharing one language is absolutely pure fiction and will remain so in our lifetimes.
=> English because it is the international language
=> French because it is an international language & France is a founder and powerhouse in Europe
=> German because it is already the most spoken european language per inhabitants and because Germany is Europe's uncontested leader as of right now.

Both languages (and the countries behind it) have very legitimate reasons to want to become the only official language of the EU so it would end up in yet another war or an absence of linguistic unification.
Spain & Spanish would be my #4 choice, but there wouldn't be able to hold their own against the aformentionned three.

All three languages*
but they wouldn't be able**
Sorry, I should have read myself twice before posting.

>English
Over my dead body.

Took you a while

Face it, Mario, you know it would be hard to justify denying English as lingua franca within a European "country".
It pains to admit that, but it is the plain truth.

If the EU started speaking Latin I would probably want to rejoin

>If they become one country
They won't
>what would the official language be?
English, because the entire identity of the EU is based on denying the identities of the individual member states, meaning they default to the "global culture" that is American. They can't even use "b-but England is a member state!" as an excuse anymore. Hell, with the UK out technically there isn't even a single English speaking country in the EU (Ireland joined as an Irish speaking country, because they joined at the same time as the UK which joined as an English speaking country. They did this to ensure supranational recognition of the Irish "language").

German - germanic language with the most speakers
French - romance language with the most speakers
Polish - slavic language with the most speakers

Or just make it english and make youtu.be/Rr8ljRgcJNM the anthem since EU is nothing but globalist bullshit anyways.

this

Les pays dans lesquelles il y a beacoup de personnes qui parlent anglais peuvent facilement commencer à utiliser l'allemand (Scandinavie, Europe Centrale, Pays-Bas) ou le français (Roumanie et tous les autres).

Imposer la langue du ennemi c'est dégoûtant.

CHAD BERLUSCONI should be the Emperor.

Magyar definitely

Let me explain why this won't happen. Let's say Macron goes full Jupiter and decides that now the working languages of all EU institutions is French. Because for some reason the president of the EU commission, president of the EU parliament and president of the EU in general are all massive Francophiles and/or native Francophones this somehow becomes reality. Can you even begin to understand the shitstorm other countries would throw over "French cultural imperialism"? That's the problem with the EU's entire model, too many incompatible countries makes a default to American culture necessary, which is ironically enabling American imperialism much more than anything the individual EU countries could ever do themselves short of applying for statehood.

Mais mon ami, la langue de l'ennemi est déjà imposée :/.
Ce n'est pas la Grande Bretagne qui nous l'impose, c'est l'Amérique du Nord, mais ça ne change rien au fait que ce soit la langue internationale.

There is not that much antipathy against France, even Germany is down with using French, thhe only ones that could sperg out are the Slavs, but Poland has always been pro-France as far as I know.

>but Poland has always been pro-France as far as I know.
Yeah not really. Before WW2 definitely. It's not like anthipathy towards French is a thing in Poland but to say that Poles feel sympathy would be a massive stretch. The british stereotype of "cheese eating surrender monkey" is very much alive in Poland.

>even Germany is down with using French
Citation needed. And I don't mean a B-list politician dreaming, I mean an official statement from the government.

>the only ones that could sperg out are the Slavs
And the Dutch. And the Flemish (who detest using French in their own country, let alone in the EU). And the Scandinavians. And the Iberians. And the Greeks.

Even if it's "just" the Slavs that's already about half the EU. Given that Merkel is already pushing them to their limits, perceived "French cultural imperialism" might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Et on peut changer ça si on commence à utiliser le français comme langue principale de l'Union Européenne. Utiliser l'anglais quand le Royaume-Uni était membre avait du sens, mais maintenant?

Si on le veut, on peut le faire. C'est uniquement une question politique.

>There is not that much antipathy against France
As much as I'd like to naïvely believe that, even outside of Sup Forums, I quite often read the sentence "dude everybody hates the French".
I think is unironically right, generally speaking, European countries have no problems acknowledging France's power and importance, but they just don't want them in charge. They'd sooner have Germany or the USA.
Germany (and Austria, Luxembourg, etc) would see no reason why French should prevail over the German language, and even the most pro-French countries or French speaking countries like Belgium would not be overly thrilled.
Moreover, the USA has colonized, well, most of Europe culturally really in the aftermaths of WWII with the Marshall Plan, and the strong Anglo negative depiction of the French they have managed to inspire to others is very, very much alive today.
I wake up today in a continent where there a loads of Europeans who unironically think that Frenchmen are smelly feminine cowards who are good for nothing but being overly pretentious about their language. The irony of thinking of the country that literally wrecked Europe's shit for centuries way before the XXth century kills me a little every day (not to even fucking mention France is considered the strongest army on the European mainland continent as of today).
Seriously, I think between French, German and English, European people would prefer French the least.

> Utiliser l'anglais quand le Royaume-Uni était membre avait du sens, mais maintenant?
Nous n'utilisons pas l'anglais pour le Royaume-Uni, nous l'utilisons pour les Etats-Unis.

>If they become one country, what would the official language be?

*federalizes*
>folklore,language and history act
All languages of the EU shall be taught in all member states as a mandatory second language spread equally and on random bases amongst the student population example:1/27th of the French population will be learning Bulgarian as a second language,1/27th will be learning Greek etc. and on the other side 1/27th of the Romanian population will be learning German,French,Polish,Spanish etc.
The history off all 27 members will be taught as secondary history classes by adding 2 additional hours of history studies to each week that will cover the history of all EU members.
The customs,music and folklore of the 27 EU members will be taught in additional classes by adding 2 hours of EU folklore and music classes to each week.
>military,police and administration act
Officers and personnel will be exchanged between member states on regular basis for sharing of expertise and experience.

Check mate nationalists :^)

On l'utilisait aussi parce que le Royaume-Uni était un membre important et il était plus facil utiliser l'anglais que trouver un compromis entre tous les membres. Si on le voulait changer on pouvait le faire, ça n'a rien à faire avec les États-Unis.

The court of Justice de facto already works in French and nobody really did much about it, not even Germany.

Already English.

English
if they quit before then French probably

Different languages have different importance, 1/27th of the French learning Maltese is retarded.

English is main language for a reason (because of USA.)

All of them.

The EU has always been caught in a big contradiction. It's very big on protecting every single language known to man (even some dead ones) but a single, official working language in a federal superstate completely obviates that. They dodge the whole problem by just printing everything in every language to pay lip service and then using English for anything practical. All it's really doing is putting the responsibility on someone else's shoulders (America's).

>ça n'a rien à faire avec les États-Unis.
Tout aujourd'hui, est lié aux USA, ed è sfortunato.

> The court of Justice de facto already works in French and nobody really did much about it, not even Germany.
We're discussing about an official language used between all of the European people between them. French being the lingua franca of Europe is a possibility that was definitely discarded after 1815. For French to ever reclaim that legitimacy, it would take for France to become a superpower on the world's stage and for the USA to fall from grace at the same time (and even then, I'm not sure it would be enough considering how many countries already use English as a global language).

Using an outsider language is appropriate when we can't decide on a single one for obvious reasons. Don't see how there's any responsibility there in the first place, much less America somehow being connected to it.

>Different languages have different importance
I agree. Bulgarian is definitely more important than Italian.

Anything other than French and German. For obvious reasons.

pic related.
I'm oblivious to the obvious here, please elaborate.

Yeah in your dreams Ioan.

Finnish of course. More obscure from swedish and more interesting. With the same persons but in different languages. That's how similar our cultures are.

youtube.com/watch?v=EUxwi71LKQA

Vid related is a pewdiepie lookalike rapping.

>The court of Justice de facto already works in French
Case Law hasn't been published in primary French since the 70s though. Had the EU never advanced past the original 6 it would've been a distinct possibility.

This.

>Using an outsider language is appropriate
Yeah...nah. Imagine if the Chinese decided "whelp, we have 12 different languages that are barely mutually intelligible. Guess we'll start using Russian as our official language". That'd be retarded. And because China is an actual country unlike the EU, they agressively enforced Mandarin as the universal language of the country.

It would be retarded only because the Chinese don't widely speak Russian.

>Had the EU never advanced past the original 6 it would've been a distinct possibility.
Pretty accurate, or by adding less relevant languages than French and enforcing the latter as premiss for becoming a EU member.
It's not happening in the current state of things.

I don't have to dream to know the truth of the universe.

Bulgarian > Italian > French

It's shifting the responsibility because you can pretend your hand is being forced by American influence into using English for everything (which just happens to be very practical). In reality this still makes English a prestige language just as any single official EU language would and it still has the effect of weakening the situation of regional languages. The two goals of protecting languages and promoting a federal one do not go together at all, it's a square hole and a round peg.

english, easiest shit to use for communication between zillion languages

No, the problem is that we can't use a language that gives primacy to any of our countries. So we need to use some other language. English would be used just because it's the best of all viable options. The only viable one really, once you remember that the other ones are memes like Latin.

French or latin. While english is easier and the obvious choice, it's an extremely poor language and would mean the end of poetry

latin

Turkish

English, same as it is now, with everyone speaking their own in their country.

Mmmm...

Esperanto or some other utopian globalist shit, while people will just use English for communicating with those they don't share a language with

Dis

French

Oh really? I want that to happen, see if they'd make anyone here write/sign documents in other language than Romanian

latin

Estonian

Engsweidsh.

/thread

at this point probably arabic

Easily French

>French
pig disgusting
>German
pig disgusting
>English
It's fine, I guess...

English isn't fine

We can only hope.

>Most native speakers
German

>Most commonly spread language
English followed by French

But there wouldn't be a national language

it couldn't be possible, people are too proud

The language from Europe with the most global speakers.

So, Portuguese.

you're welcome, by the way.

I am, actually.

But so should you be, to be fair. Language and cooking are the two things you can't fault us for.

English would be the most practical and you all know it.

I think they should put all spoken languages into a hat and draw done at random

That would be Spanish, actually.

What the fuck? Spanish isn't spoken anywhere, mate.

Maltese so our New European friends can easily learn it.