So memes aside, what did Sup Forums think of this show?

So memes aside, what did Sup Forums think of this show?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qrNQjReV0gw
youtube.com/watch?v=P1Za1nmyXE0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Grew up in central Texas. Loved it.

Best animated sitcom, hands down

It's great. I know the word comfy gets thrown around a lot these days but that's the best way to describe it to me.

Haven't watched it in a while, but I watched every single episode throughout 2011 - 2012.

Honestly one of the best cartoons I've ever watched. Loved the setting and the characters. Really liked how the characters developed throughout the series. I was sad when I found out that it got canceled back in 2010, but at least reruns still air on Adult Swim.

In the Québec French dub that I grew up with before watching every episode in English, they actually relocated the show from Arlen to St-Irène, a town in this province. They only really changed that in speech though, the visuals are pretty much unchanged, so things like pic related were still exactly the same. Kid me couldn't quite speak English properly yet and didn't know any better either. Still pretty fun to go back to that dub though. There aren't reruns of it though so the only way to watch it anymore are recordings people have made of the dubbed episodes.
Fuck you, Télétoon.

Got pretty weak in the later seasons, but the first half is some of the best sitcom comedy ever made.

great writing, fun quirky characters, a lot of cleverness, a few really well-made points
But what it really shines with is rewatchability. like the first few seasons of futurama, like old simpsons, i can just keep watching it over and over and over and it... well it gets old, but it takes a while

Possibly the all around best animated show I've seen

I liked it a lot, but I feel it should have ended sooner considering Mike Judge wasn't around for quality and continuity control in the later seasons.

Also it is one of the few cases where a horribly researched and inaccurate episode can still be good.

>where a horribly researched and inaccurate episode can still be good.

Which one?

>horribly researched and inaccurate episode
Not that I'm doubting what you're saying, but do you have an example of such an episode? I'm actually curious.

Loved it.

truth be known, Sup Forums loves it

Sup Forumsmblr however ...

he probably means the trans-fats one
where the general 'government stay out of our food' message was on-point, but they missed the greater point which is that trans fats were, in the first place, bullshit pushed on us by the very same healthfood-dumbasses they're trying to oppose in this episode.
so the message should have been 'go back to butter and lard, it's fine, and those morons calling it unhealthy and pushing their margarine are responsible for fucking up a lot of vascular systems'

A semi-accurate representation of life in the deep south.

I mean, about as accurate as a cartoon will get, anyway. Most people are nowhere near as cool or nice as Hank.

well if you watch the show, hank's consistently portrayed as unusually good and nice and competent.. and also unusually uptight. he just THINKS everyone else is like him, but they arent.

yeah his ignorance about that is his character flaw. he doesn't tolerate bullshit when he sees it, but he's naive enough to believe all people are inherently good, which often drives conflict due to people taking advantage of his trust (most commonly buck strickland)

I enjoyed the episode because I really hate the government. Even going so far as running for many offices and becoming a city board member just to fight the government overbearing on my life.

I would of not remember that episode really well if it was another 'those damn liberals,' episode.

hey good for you man. genuine care-about-shit politicians are hard to find. if only we could somehow give those local-level guys more power while hiding the fact that we'd done so, because obviously as soon as people know about it, they'd start lobbying and voting for their own special interests and it would all be just as fucked up except harder to fight
mike judge is a pretty cool guy. most of the time he doesnt take potshots at strawmen. he DOES use them for comedic purposes. that episode about organic foods was particularly great, with hank teaching the hippies how to run their shit more effectively, and they just immediately sell out

Still one of the funniest episodes. Especially if you hate Peggy.

>Hate Peggy
>love her feet

Fuck this episode. I've never been so conflicted

oh god i remember hoping she'd die. even back then.
the next episode was pretty great though. peggy's frustration was palpable and hilarious. her sobbing while being fed, her "if it's not dangling in front of my face i can't do anything about it" cry when nobody was dealing with the baby..
i loved how bobby had to shoulder some of it too.

That episode actually made me respect Bobby. Kid actually stepped up and took care of his baby uncle.

That boy is alright.

My favorite episode always. I laugh so hard everytime. Hanks yells are priceless

The mention of French dubs of cartoons takes me back to watching Captain Harlock on Radio Canada where it was called Albator. I had to pick up on the plot through the visuals as I didn't speak a word of French. Good times.

Mike Judge was around, it was Greg Daniels who wasn't around. He cut off all association with the show around 2004-5, I don't know if it was just that he left to do The Office or if there was a power struggle.

>his baby uncle

thinking buying a car at sticker price is a deal

How could you hate Peggy?

hey i didnt know that til this show taught me. it's not something you talk about much. and there ARE certainly plenty of things where the base price is a deal. like getting it at wholesale.

They leaned too heavily as time went on on the "Bobby gets involved in some hippie fad and Hank pulls him out of it and is proved right" plot. It works sometimes and is a nice reversal of the bumbling dad stereotype, but they did it too many times.

I like that it has a respectful yet funny perspective on people who aren't usually respected on TV. Just by trying to see the world from Hank's perspective and do some research on how people live in Texas they managed to tell a lot of stories that most sitcoms would never tell.

fix the disproportionate feet and the butt-head nose and undo that fucked up hairstyle she usually wears, and yeah.. peggy's fine.
in either case i'd fuck a flock of peggys before going near a kathy najimy

Bobby unfortunately got derailed hard.
like, people complain about luann's flanderizing, but she was always a little goofy from the beginning. she was just highly competent white trash. bobby was kind of the same.. a soft-spoken guy who you would imagine grows up into.. well, the way Bill was in the early episodes. one of those soft-spoken but competent hillbillies. it fits in with their original trashier concept of the show, where peggy was more like the obese muumuu lady from daria
but whereas they made luanne an increasingly dumber funnier giggly party girl, bobby went from almost autistic to a strawman for KIDS THESE DAYS. it's one thing how luanne was good at car shit and that never got brought up again, no huge deal, that's not much different from being good at hairstyling (though they went back and forth on that too many times), but it's another thing ENTIRELY how bobby went from nearly emotionless and lacking in will (pretty much do anything you tell him) to a crying little faggot. you can't imagine him being a crack shot anymore.
My favorite old Bobby moment has to be "After I learn sex ed, I'll be too busy dating" "Who?" "Iunno. Whoever wants to have sex with me"

>memes aside

I kind of hate the memes related to this show. Not that they're bad, I just think it deserves better.

i havent seen any memes related to the show, but i have seen the show used IN memes before
like in the 'pretend western sitcom is a shounen anime' thing, or the whole youtube poop thing. it's fantastic for those because it's so down to earth. but none of them are really related to this show specifically any more than animutations are related to colin mochrie

the only real koth memes are shit like dale's catch phrases or hank talking about propane or peggy speaking bad spanish

I would be interested to know how much of Luanne's weirdly inconsistent role was due to Brittany Murphy's own weird inconsistency. From episode to episode you couldn't tell if the character existed or not, sometimes she'd be living with them one week and gone the next week.

I couldn't blame the writers for that but I do blame them for falling so in love with having Tom Petty in the studio that they kept bringing Lucky back.

It's one of the most accurate shows concerning life in Texas I've ever seen.

That being said, I only hated how the universe almost always seemed to bend to prove Hank was right about whatever every episode.

Paddlin Peggy got me hot

>That fan service

aw i love Lucky. I get why people don't, but I can't not. he was fucking fantastic.
I kinda felt like luanne's weird placement was intentional. they ended the moving-out episode with "Well if you need to come by every so often, feel free"
and then they unceremoniously just said 'ehh move back in with us now that you have a job and it's clear you're not a freeloader'

I felt that it was more of an issue that Bobby was written in any scenario without thinking if he would really do it or is this Bobby?

I mean, the only choice would have been to focus harder on Joseph. because they wanted to write relatable stories about real people, and what made the show so interesting originally is they WEREN'T like real people. they were quirky weird texans instead.

it's like that whole 'commander cuckoo bananas' phase the simpsons went through when they couldnt decide what character would stand for what, and were dead-set on getting real-life-issuey.
now granted current simpsons doesnt sound anything like the characters either, but it's not nearly as bad about it.

>I mean, the only choice would have been to focus harder on Joseph. because they wanted to write relatable stories about real people, and what made the show so interesting originally is they WEREN'T like real people. they were quirky weird texans instead.

The fuck? You have that backwards. They were more believable in the beginning, but as episodes went on, things got wackier and wackier.

I mean they were quirky, but they were clearly more based on actual Texans than in later episodes.

how is that not what I said?
relatable stories about real people = wackiness, not down to earth texans that nobody can identify with except texans.

Down to earth people that nobody can identify with but Texans are relatable stories about real people. Texans can relate. Texans are real people.

Wackiness =/= relatable stories about real people because nobody is actually that wacky. It ends up not being relatable to anybody.

okay but you get what i mean
they wanted to write about fucked up normal kids, not abnormally calm and almost creepily emotionless ones like bobby. so they made him into one.
and it didnt exactly hurt that pamela adlon is FANTASTIC as that kind of character. she knocked that shit right out of the park, into the next, and nine feet into the ground where it landed.

>TO THE FLOWERS OF TIME!!!

Pretty close to unwatchable until the end of the third season

Is this where you sign up for the jizzob?

I thought the whole third season was great.

It did improve a lot when they redesigned the characters (ie made Judge's designs less ugly) in the second season, and then they spent a year trying to really nail down the characters, but I think they more or less had it by 1998 or so. Unfortunately it was that exact time that Fox changed its time slot and it was never as popular as it had been in the first year.

Why'd they have to add that crease?

youtu.be/qrNQjReV0gw

Amazing in every way show.

Great soundtrack.

Didn't we have a KOTH thread get derailed over dolphin fucking the other day?

Honestly the OP was what is was about so kinda hard to derail what the thread was based on in the first place

>tfw you'll never have an album where every song is sung in its entirety by Hank

Seriously though this was beautiful....

youtube.com/watch?v=P1Za1nmyXE0

i only recently discovered this kinda shit exists. simpsons had it too.

I disagree. Bobby always just needed a little discipline and focus. One of the last four episodes was the one were he becomes an expert on cuts of beef. You could easily swap that with the crack shot episode.

well yeah that was THE last episode. so they wrapped shit up nicely by re-railing him a bit so they could have a nice ending.

I couldn't remember if that or manic Khan-day was the last one .
Any way I never got that feeling with Bobby.

>this doesn't mean you're my buckle bunny
>oh yes sir it does

manic khan-day is the listed last episode because it aired last, but that's because fox skipped four episodes that were obviously meant to air earlier. so it's not as if you consider dexter's rude removal to be the last episode of dexter's lab, y'dig?

haha, if there's one thing i do quite like, which remained the same all along, it's bobby's proclivity for unashamedly saying things that just aint right

why does peggy have a bulge?

it's called the mound of venus. non-anorexic women have them
if your bulge looks like that... well that's just sad.

Didn't appreciate it until I was older.