Ok Sup Forums, two questions:

1) What do YOU want for the future of animation? Can be any kind of animation.

2) Do you think a web-based animation studio can "make it"?

1) At the very least, for the stigma against animation being only for children/edgy teenagers to finally ago away.

2) Theoretically, yes. How long it'll be until one actually does so is still up in the air.

1. I want an acceptance of adult animation that isn't full of poop jokes and DUDEWEEDLMAO in the West. Basically where """mature""" doesn't refer to the goddamn humor

2. I hope so because my roommate heads his own and he needs money to pay rent

1) I think that if we pulled our collective heads our our Cal Arts meme asses and tried traditional animation again things may be better but you can't teach a millennial old tricks anymore can you

2) an online animation studio that wouldn't be gobbled up by the YouTube collective of 'muh parody of vidya or other shows' sounds hard as he'll but it's gonna happen and when it does I would be glad to join the resistance

OP here. Do you mind if I ask what studio your friend runs?

Yes

i want more art style variety and less flash tweened shit

probably not, or at least not as well as one off the web

I see.

Here's my email: [email protected] It looks jank because it's a temp one

Whoops, I'm retarded. If you sent me something, send it to this one instead: [email protected]

Another question for inquiring minds: what are some things that you would really want in a web-based animation studio, as far as the content and community?

Yeah sorry, m80 but if you want a jorb you're better off just sending your reels to these studios. I know for a fact if you don't have a decent animation reel this guy won't give you the time of day but then you should already know this if you're up for a job.

And "random asshole on the internet" isn't a good reference, even ignoring that I literally have nothing to do with what he does.

Oh and if you want to know which studio, I'm still not going to tell you because it's not my place to do so

>Guy draws a cartoon over a sketch of Spike Motherfucking Spiegel.

No prob, bob. I'm not looking for a job, by the way. I'm looking to make jobs :)

Quit being an asshole and give him your fake studio's name

1 I want another heavy metal movie

2 Yes but it needs to be ran like a proper business

1. Kill anime.

2. Possible, sure.

some kind of new software / guide / boon that enables independant animators to make really top notch stuff intuitively, easily and efficiently, ushering in an age where people can make larger scale projects that actually get fleshed out

I'd like to see more small time animators produce more content with a lot of visual experimentation

i want to see more surrealist cartoons. stuff that gets out there like noiserover or david firth or greencardlove

1. I want animation to do what it always has; do what live action can't do. The kind of visuals and designs that can only be achieved in that medium. While themes and writing can be aimed a mature audiences. I want a far-out, insane world full of cool, creatively designed characters, with a story that has action and drama and everything else you'd expect from say... HBO.
2. Yes. I've seen several with the design and animating chops to do so with some extra funding.
3. And if not, fuck it. I'll do it myself

1) More real-world cultural inspiration and less anime worship. You watched Sailor Moon as a little kid, I fucking get it.

2) Maybe someday it'll be more commonplace. I could see Netflix originals like Bojack coming into their own in the 2020s. But as for right now Bee and Puppycat proved that dedicated commercial web-cartoons, and I mean purely web-cartoons and not normal cartoons hosted on an online service, aren't something to hold your breath for.

>1. I want an acceptance of adult animation that isn't full of poop jokes and DUDEWEEDLMAO in the West. Basically where """mature""" doesn't refer to the goddamn humor
>1) I think that if we pulled our collective heads our our Cal Arts meme asses and tried traditional animation again things may be better but you can't teach a millennial old tricks anymore can you

>2) an online animation studio that wouldn't be gobbled up by the YouTube collective of 'muh parody of vidya or other shows' sounds hard as he'll but it's gonna happen and when it does I would be glad to join the resistance

>i want more art style variety and less flash tweened shit

This.

I would also like some change from the public. People need to grow up and finally realise that things do not have to pander them to be interesting. And that if you like a serie, you should probably stop trying to bend it in the way you want because, you know, you ACTUALLY LIKED IT BEFORE.
And if you don't like a serie, don't bother with it holy shit. Unless its fandom is cancerous, but once again the problem come from the public being dumb.

>1. I want animation to do what it always has; do what live action can't do. The kind of visuals and designs that can only be achieved in that medium. While themes and writing can be aimed a mature audiences. I want a far-out, insane world full of cool, creatively designed characters, with a story that has action and drama and everything else you'd expect from say... HBO.
This too. I'm always bummed when people use a SF setting where 95% of the cast is humans, or blue/green skinned humans. Guys, you are drawing this shit. Have a little variety.
Also, just because something is crazy doesn't mean it's a good design. Unicorns shitting rainbows get old fast. We get it, you're random; Now work on a real design.

1)I want to see a return of hand drawn, drawings on cels type of situation. Fucking THESE:
2) Isn't that Brazilian studio doing it with Any-malu right now?

>tfw working on some shorts with art friends, plan on making an online animation studio and just make the shit we want to make
>basically we just want to make serious adult animation, we have a noir animation, a space opera animation, and a weird grungy post apocalypse animation in the pipeline
>tfw moving into a house together probably by March to make it a physical studio

We doin it

For animators to learn some fucking cinematography.
Fuck off with this animation should be a bunch of colorful bullshit, you have unlimited editing power. Use it to actually make films that are impossible to do in live action because of the editing, like all of Satoshi kon's works.

I want animation and comics/graphic novels to fully engage with both as a medium not genre like seen in Japan's relationship with manga and anime.I want people of all ages to like animation and for it to be limitless in its topics/style and more.

>What do YOU want for the future of animation? Can be any kind of animation.
As far as TV animation I'm starting to think going back to shorts as the norm or at least miniseries should be the way to go about things for the sake of animation and storytelling quality.
Kids wouldn't care either way, though.

>Do you think a web-based animation studio can "make it"?
If they're getting decent revenue right now, I'd say they already "made it." TV will shit the bed eventually and mostly everyone will wind up with their own cartoon hangover channels.

>2) Do you think a web-based animation studio can "make it"?
If they are using digital tools and everyone's living expenses can be covered, yes. At that point you're mostly spending money on software licences, audio recording equipment and electricity. The profits don't have to be huge to cover that. Digital distribution is pretty painless (though not free) compared to the hurdles of getting something released in theatres or broadcasted on tv.

As for the first question, more diversity. And I mean artistic diversity, styles, content, formats, more of everything. In the current environment very few things can make it, they can't take risks and they have to use cost-cutting and time-saving measures like flash animation.

1)
>)Above all, more diversity in terms of audience demographics, genre's and plots for western animation.
You can say what you like about anime, despite all the light novel adaptations and harem anime, you can still see pretty much any story pop up if you look hard enough.

>For traditional animation ti find a place. It looks like it's popping up more in Europe so fingers crossed there.

>More experimenting with styles and visuals.

>More countries getting involved in making good animated works.

2) I think so, but it'll probably take a lot of time before anyone can call it success.

With all sincerity, I wish you luck friend.

1. I'd like to see 2d animated movies make a comeback. Maybe even some mature non comedy ones.

2. Maybe not right now but probably within the next 5-10 years.

1) I want mainly 2 things:
- a Sci-Fi Space Opera Animation
- a Adult-Oriented Action-Comedy Animation

2) Yup

>1) What do YOU want for the future of animation? Can be any kind of animation.

More 2D and stop motion

>2) Do you think a web-based animation studio can "make it"?

2D yes, stop motion no

Any-malu is ok. It's just a bit dry. The animation is wonderful - I wish they would use their talents for something else, something bigger.

Yeeee

any malu is very ambitious i'll admit, but it's really not that good, the humor is what nigga humor is for you, normie shit. It'll probably slowly dissapear one day because it's so shallow.

1) I honestly just want the creators to have complete freedom in their cartoons without constantly pushing whatever agenda the creator is trying to spread. It doesn't need to have a good message, it doesn't need to have a target demographic, and it doesn't have to pander to anyone. It just has to have good writing, great characters, and anything else that a good story should have, all wrapped up with a tolerable plot. I'd also prefer artstyles that fit the story of they're trying to tell

2) It might be in the future, but right now, it seems impossible, especially since it isn't cheap to hire people unless you have a group of friends who have a passion and talent for animating, writing, etc.

None of this will ever happen because it will never be financially successful.

People don't care about the quality of animation, so television animation will always look like shit.

People will never care about adult animation that isn't full of swearing and immature jokes/violence/sex, so nobody will throw money at that either.

With that being said, what are some ways of generating financial support for a studio that caters to the needs previously mentioned, like an adult animation studio that makes genuine, artistic, and thoughtful animations? Patreon, Indiegogo - what else? A donate button?