There are people on this board right now that think comics shouldn't be available at news stands or grocery stores

There are people on this board right now that think comics shouldn't be available at news stands or grocery stores

Other urls found in this thread:

time.com/4337908/marvel-iron-man-3-female-villain-toy-sales/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What is Archie

My city has 1 comic book store and its filled with Morbidly Obese people who play Magic.

There are people on this board right now that don't pay attention to the magazine industry and think putting comics on the newsstand will save everything

I think that comics shouldn't be available in print at all

I'd actually like more anthology magazines similar to Shonen Jump as a way of letting people read more series and broaden horizons, but I don't think it'd work in the western market. I mean Shonen Jump actually ended over here years ago.

Why aren't they?
How wouldn't it help drive sales? Especially now that capestuff is "in"

>Shonen Jump

Go back to Sup Forums you fucking weeaboo faggot

Those Archie Digests must sell because they're at every checkout lane at the grocery store. Why don't other comic conpanies do something like that for cheap easily available reprints?

Because A- People don't Buy NewsPrint anymore because of the online age

Hell people can read comics online now they don't have to waste the money

Also if you're at a store you're shopping for food not comic books.

They're not worth the forests clear cut to be made

I would fuck a more evil version of Veronica if given the choice.

>what are impulse buys
>nobody goes shopping with young children who like superheroes
Because the comic book industry is doing so great right now with new readers coming in every day right?

They sell but have you noticed in the last six years Archie has been trying to get more stunt-chasing? And on top of that they've been trying to make more titles sold only at the direct market? That sounds more like the newsstand market's sales are affecting Archie like they are for other non-comics magazines.

>nobody goes shopping with young children

You fucking shouldn't go shopping with your child because he's going to get in the fucking way of your actual fucking shopping.

Marvel recently did some stuff here in western australia to get kids back into comics as a tie in with the newspaper.

I hope they have some success.

My assumption was they fit on the magazine rack all nice and orderly

Wheras regular comics can't because they take up too much space

that and people prefer tabloids anyway

Well it's generally frowned upon to leave them in the car

>Australia

Literally what is the point? Australians censor everything and pray every day their wildlife doesn't kill them

Roll the fucking windows down

That or just leave them at home literally a no brainer.

Please don't ever reproduce

This is coming from an user curious as to why places that aren't book stores or libraries don't sell comic books

That is like asking for a bible after every purchase from Chik Fe Le.

They have something like a 50% return rate. That's a lot of money spent on printing all those extra copies, shipping them to stores and shipping them back to Archie.

Archie sells some of them off in specials, but most of them get pulped.

Publishers went direct market because they sell every copy they print. Otherwise a $3.99 comic would be $4.99 or $5.99.

What a monumental waste of forest

Not really. Most/all paper comes from renewable resources and getting "pulped" means recycled.

You do know they can grow new trees right? I don't see anyone complaining about the waste of potatoes from all the companies selling french fries. They just grow more potatoes.

Potatoes can be easily replaceable since GMO's allows us to grown then cheaper and faster

Trees requires years to reproduce

Pic related the Archie Corporation right now.

>leave your young child in the car with the windows down while you go grocery shopping, or better yet just leave your young child home alone.
You just seem genuinely ignorant about raising children.

Children can take care of themselves there is literally no reason to always feel the need to be close to your spawn.

Teenagers sure, but leaving a 7 or 8 year old at home by themselves is pretty irresponsible

I've always wondered why they don't make more commercial paper out of bamboo. It's fast growing, and ,as far as I know, doesn't need a lot of water.

That would drastically kill the surviving panda population

Nigger you don't know a damn thing about Mexican children don't you they're bred self sufficient.

Not really, Mexicans just have a shitload of kids so that when one dies it's no big loss, they have 9 more.

they used to be on newstands and in the supermarket. I'd post the 'how marvel fucked over the comics industry' screencap but my old computer is dead. So in summary

>Marvel is a solid #2
>DC is riding high, pretty much always has
>marvel puts out rumors they'll jack up their prices
>DC falls for it and does so
>this price jack leads to no one buying comics
>add into it that both companies still make use of Daimond Distributer's services, a literal monopoly on distributing comic books and you have an added complication to the whole price gouging issue
>comics are banished to niche stores
>this series of events would lead to the great cover speculation bubble and the ghettoification of comics in america

Come say that shit when you live in the city of Rosa feg.

Why would I want to live in a shithole?

I'm curious how much the Archie digests really sell because I don't think many kids really give a shit about Archie anymore. If they do sell a lot, it would have to be because there's nothing else. Archie does have Sonic digests now as well but I have no idea how those are doing in comparison to their other digests. Though Sonic is somewhat popular with young boys over here so that should be doing at least as well as the other Archie digests.

There needs to be digest books for Batman or Star Wars or other insanely popular franchises like those. Many companies just missing out on big money here.

To give you an indicator that not only are you're wrong you're also a fag

Archie popularity is gonna skyrocket if that CW show gets popular.

Have you seen the dead as fuck book sections at Target and Wal-Mart? Have you noticed that many book stores have gone out of business in the past ten years? Physical print is dead to everyone that isn't an online retailer. Throwing them onto grocery shelves is the same as throwing them into the scrap heap. Plus it's a model that only going to benefit already popular titles if at all. So what we achieve is a huge waste of money and Dan Slott on Spider-Man until his final breath.

>You now remember Borders is gone and dead forever

I mean Barnes and Noble is OK and Copperfields is garbage by proxy but fuck me

I hate E-Kindles.

So what you're saying is that we should keep eating Diamond's shit with a smile and ask for seconds?

I'd take anything that sells comics to be honest.

Only thing in my city which does is a Forbidden Planet, and it has more shelf space dedicated to fucking Funco Pops that actual comic books. Does have a massive manga section I guess, but that's not really my thing.

There was an indie store where I used to live which was amazing. A pretty decently sized store, had two floors, but you couldn't move if there were more than about half a dozen people there because it was just packed with books.

They did stamp cards like coffee shops do too. Buy 7 TPBs and the 8th is free. Kept me coming back more than I should have.

You think Diamond's bad, the newsstand market is fucking worse.

That's not what he said at all you fag not even remotely. You don't have to buy any of their shit if you don't want to.

Comic Book stores especially the ones in my state get their money thru trading card sales not so much comic book distribution. Magic Cards make good money off Obese Clammy Virgins.

We ain't even got one of them in Rosa.

Again...Online reading is the future it saves on trees and keeps Greenpeace quiet

Less they wanna bitch about the coal needed to make Electricity.

You do realize that if that dumbass wish that all comics be moved to newsstands instead of comics shops happened, that most comics wouldn't even sell there? If you thought DCYou sold poorly in comic shops, they wouldn't even be published at all on the newsstands.

You should feel ashamed of yourself for being bated so easily.

Well something needs to change. There's a pretty shitty logic at only selling comic books at inconvienient locations and charging that much for something that can be so easily pirated for free at home

The Viz is sold on magazine stands still.

I think it's the only comic I've seen there.

It doesn't really work when the person baiting pretends to be retarded because they're still retarded.

So you cant even mention anything to related anime or manga here anymore without someone calling weeaboo. Do you kids even know what it means?

>Well something needs to change.

Its not. Stop wishing for things that are coming never ever.

You sound like a fucking newfag then if you honestly genuinely believe that garbage.

Sup Forumsnime retard is literally seething.

In most countries comics are easily available outside of special stores.

Can I at least wish for Marvel comics to be readable again?

Sounds like you're upset at being called a retard

Nope. Not until Disney frees them from their hell.

Its almost time for Patrick to enjoy his Daily Krabby Patty I am too tired to be angry about anything.

Sorry but you can post anime in Sup Forums too and always had. And why do you complain about weebs when you are in Sup Forums?

Sup Forums is a containment board as /r9k/ is to Sup Forums

>Archie popularity is gonna skyrocket if that CW show gets popular.
1. I'd be shocked if that show takes off far.
2. Kids won't be watching it.
3. People who do watch it and then decide to read the comics will be turned off by it because the show will be very different. That or they would buy digital copies instead of the digests.

Which is why the comic digests are always near the registers. They're there for children/impulse buys. Go to a fucking Barnes and Nobles if you want to buy books.

>2. Kids won't be watching it.

Kids shouldn't be watching it its gonna be TV-14

Its basically going to be Gillmore Girls meets Degrassi.

>The magazine only puffs don't buy
>Boy Fucking George on the cover
>Also Spandau Ballet

The Viz is a subtle and sophisticated book.

My local Wal-Mart started selling old floppies, the Marvel stuff would be be 3 issues of some 90s series and the DC stuff would be 3 issues of New 52 issue ones but instead of putting them in the book section they're near the card game and other collectables. Nobody's buying them though they've the same couple of issues for months.

It looks like the English version is all online now. I note that they have free chapters online as well as a paid subscription, though I don't think an anthology would be really effective given that you can get greater exposure to different comics not limited to a sole publisher through online readers.

The image of a cheap disposable product you get at grocery stores and toss later doesn't do much for attracting people who can just spend $0 online.

As for increasing physical sales, one way would be to make objects that are actually nice (hardcover, higher quality paper, etc) or make the physical into part of the experience. The former kind of has a bad historical precedent when you think back to the speculator bubble and emphasis on collecting, but I think there are people who would be willing to pay to have a nice looking book for their bookshelf. It doesn't need to be the lowest denominator speculator cash grab of the 90s.

In terms of making the physical experience an essential part, I'm thinking something like Chris Ware's Building Stories or Jason Shiga's Meanwhile could serve as examples. Only problem with that is that obviously it takes more time, effort, and money to do it meaningfully when DC and Marvel are more likely content with having comics be their cheap idea mill for cross- media products.

But you gonna see weebs everywhere in Sup Forums even in Sup Forums. Just because you dont like anime or manga, you still going to see it.

>The image of a cheap disposable product you get at grocery stores and toss later doesn't do much for attracting people who can just spend $0 online.
By that same logic there is no point in selling comics in comic book stores because people can just pirate

Honestly if people are gonna sell comics these days in print then you need to go back to the old days of bundling a bunch of stories into one magazine and selling those based on themes or just make a digital storefront and pass on the savings in print and distro to the consumer.

The demand is there but the market really isn't set up to accomodate it.

How is making comics more accessible to new readers a bad thing?

How is pretending to read a thread a bad thing?

All I see is people making excuses for the direct market, and some faggot who thinks you should leave your kid in the car when you go grocery shopping

I would imagine the issue is that comics don't sell at news stands or grocery stores. People buy their comics on iPad or tablet or Kindle, or people just consume comics on the web for free. Print is too expensive.

In fact I would say comics tend to be a dying breed overall. When a revenue source historically held up by males starts to die the company often tries to target females to bring in new revenue; hence, why we see the rise of feminist targeted comics.

Boys are gravitating toward comic movies and comic games which is why we see predominantly male leads in those markets, and girls are starting to gravitate toward comic books which is why we see female leads emerging in those markets (female Thor, female Iron Man, etc.). Boys spend more money. Girls spend less.

Isn't Wal-Mart trying to sell comics in their stores? And I don't mean the tpbs but regular single issues.

Even more to the point. Marvel axed female villain in Iron Man 3 over toy sale worries.
time.com/4337908/marvel-iron-man-3-female-villain-toy-sales/

Not too unlike the female Ghostbusters fuck up by Sony.

I work at a walmart and we don't

>I liked the idea, like Remington Steele, you think it’s the man but at the end, the woman has been running the whole show.

>They just said, ‘no way.'

LOL

Ew, no, comic book movies is a-okay, but comics shouldn't be visible to real people on daily basis.

I wouldn't want any more bullshit in my comics because some mother of [x] thinks her children are exposed to "unwelcome content".

Looking at you, marvel.

Why don't kids read comics anymore?

I think it's reasonable for Marvel to stop making these awful books with colored pictures.

They already got normal people interested in movies, and nerds and other freaks were just a stepping stone, they don't have to be Marvel's audience anymore and getting rid of comics is the right way to go.

Pluses:
- They would have more flexibility with their real content (movies)
- Toxic fanbase will have to adapt or die
- They'll cut ridiculous production cost on overpriced pamphlets (aka comics)

It's a win x win x win situation no matter how you look at it.

I know this is b8, but as bad as the comics are right now I honestly wouldn't mind

Like, they even do that barely in Europe (with most of the available ones just being the popular series that everyone buys anyway) and is it even the future for comics?

And because gays are everywhere here doesn't mean they have to post their dicks.

Why shouldn't you.

They could be raped and/or murdered

Tbh senpai I got into comics by seeing a spider-man comic and harassing my mom onto buying it in a supermarket.

That would've been fine, if I wasn't 35 at the time.

Can you atleast use anime reaction images?

1. More engaging form of entertainment available - mainly video games through either the phone, computer or game console.

2. Comics continuity (ongoing stories, not lore) being a complete clusterfuck (this issue of Superman #20 will be coninued in Nightwing #3).

3. The gradual shift to more "mature" themes has made comic books somewhat of a gamble for parents and they don't want to risk it anymore.

4. Did I mention we now have video games?

It's not that the superhero mythos is dying (they are doing superbly in cinema), but the format is just not what people are looking for anymore.

Asterix, Lucky Luke and a bunch of Disney comics are.

>Why don't other comic conpanies do something like that for cheap easily available reprints?

Non-returnable sales, crossover stories and multiple covers means that each comic shop will have to buy a whole lot of Diamond-comics every week just to cover the basics of capeshit. Basically generating free income for them, as long as the folks selling through Diamond can just put anything between two covers every week. Quality be damned.

The groceries don't put up with non-returnable magazines, so that same model would just generate loss after loss.

Why does Archie do it? Surely a Batman digest would sell better than an Archie digest

Comics are sold at Walmarts and other large Grocery+ stores

When is the last time you went to the book part of a Walmart?

It makes Archie money? Archie isn't exactly rolling in cash though. They are struggling and making a few bucks.

Also it costs Archie money to buy those premium spots at the checkout. They recently forked over a ton of cash for (I think) Walmart do to that which delayed them rolling out their new comic series for the direct market.

The main problem is comic books aren't that profitable anymore. Niche audience, even if you put them everywhere and dropped the price in half, etc. People would rather play video games or watch movies or tv or whatever. Comics are from a time when your choices were much more limited. You saw a movie at the theater or watched whatever was on the few channels you had on TV.

I love comics but they are very niche now and I see no way of getting "everybody" into them.

Archie has a 50% return rate of unsold issues, anything sold through Diamond is non-returnable and 100% cash paid. It's the guaranteed income generated by a monopoly that's attractive in the Diamond-model.

Sure, they could be doing better, but guaranteed income, man.

Hemp would work too

You have to go back

There are people right now that think casuals give a fuck about an industry and will keep it alive with their spare pennies.

That little kid bugging his mom to buy him the spider-man book in the checkout line could get hooked and become the next cynical neckbeard like you who doesn't think anybody else deserves to join his secret club. Attracting new readers is not bad for the comic industry

what is with the freaks seriously wanting non-weirdos to stay away from their entertainment because they will not spew deep lore at random strangers etc. Why is this something that needs to be preserved and kept away from the huddled masses?

Also this is exactly why comic shops are total shit.

Guaranteed income for a readership that's shrinking everyday

>mfw print media

Diamond is cancer, though

Care to explain what you think the problem is with Diamond?