Kai

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oF7vFFTnc98
youtube.com/watch?v=FvGC5YcdsAY
youtube.com/watch?v=5qvYTNjT3a8
youtube.com/watch?v=xvJBn_2BpyU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not enough fights and the ones that were there weren't as interesting to watch.

i was so disappointed with this movie. Kai was an amazing villain and they wasted him.

I can't really fault anything about the character himself, but in the past two films there was a villain who challenged Po's mastery of combat (Tai Lung), and his mastery over his inner mind (Shen).

So with Kai's whole thing being the chi controlling/stealing, perhaps it wasn't the right gimmick for him to be a thuggish warrior. Maybe he needed to be more like some kind of sorcerer that let his minions do most of the fighting at first, then used their chi to attain their skills for himself once challenged directly.

I don't know, just my personal take.

I really expected them to go with an "Evil Oogway", which would not at all have been a bad thing, despite being cliched. I didn't really get the spiritual vibe from Kai at all, he was just a big dumb asshole who had some jade statues working for him.

He was good, but he was missing a connection to Po, which unlike Tai Lung and Shen, made him feel just like "Badguy of the week." Also, too much humor was pumped into his scenes.

How was the soundtrack? I heard John Powell wasn't on this one

Kai himself had a really good soundtrack.
Can't really comment on the rest of the movie.

Maybe it's cause j.k simmons is too recognizable these days but I felt like his voice didn't really fit

>I didn't really get the spiritual vibe from Kai at all,
I think that might have been it. He didn't really seem like a guy that would've mastered the art of stealing and controlling people's souls.

I can buy the idea of a proud warrior who discovers new power and grows addicted to it, but his personality didn't really go along with that since he did most of the fighting himself. It's more like he picked up chi mastery on the side of the road and was flailing it around in a dangerous manner rather than actually being a master of it.

China.

Shoulda been a panda bad guy.

It's a schlocky cliche but an evil uncle of po's who mastered chi crap and went mad at the loss of his race (mostly) coulda worked.

I don't know if the two plotlines worked seperately, let alone together. I didn't really like the panda village, especially not when Po's already ignoring the furious five, who've been begging for some attention. And Kai didn't really capture me as a threat the same way as Tai Lung, the incredible undefeatable master, or Shen, the genocidal maniac who's about to snap. Kai was just a big guy swinging his kratos swords around.

>Kai
Never heard of him.

I recall that fake scrapped script. It had some ok ideas, but felt pretty clichéd since that sort of thing has been done before with the hero getting brainwashed and made into the villain's tools.

never posed much of a threat, especially since he was treated as a joke in most of his scenes.

beautiful film though.

He was the third villain to be white.

Both Tai and Shen were emotional, passionate. They were furious at times and thats when they got scary. Kai seemed pretty chill most of the time.

he was never taken seriously. Po had serious moments with the other villains in other movies, where he tried to appeal to them to stop and move on from their vengeance. With Kai Po was goofing off the whole time. His entire final battle was a joke about how Po is a dragon.

A vengeful panda big bad would've been a much better villain.

Kai had no emotional depth and no connection to Po, making him far less memorable, just another evil guy to fight.

I actually watched all 3 films for the first time back to back 2 days ago.

I was blown away with how bad the 3rd film was compared to the others. Complete letdown.

world of warcraft

Probably this.

I think it's just a letdown if you watched it right after 2. The visuals and sound were amazing but the story was whatever.

He didn't bitch and moan about his childish daddy issues enough; that's what makes a villain scary.

Kai was a good villain, but Shen was one of, if not the greatest Dreamworks villain of all time. Kai's final battle was also turned into a joke, which was disappointing, and highlighted a tonal problem with the entire movie.

He was a supposed to be a "literally who" character and while it made for one or two good gags it made his character suffer as a whole and lack any real depth.

Tai and Shen were great because they had an emotional connection to one of the main characters, especially Shen who they also went more further with personality and humor.

Should've been a panda villain

Maybe I just preferred the color scheme but I thought 2 looked much better than 3.

>Shen was one of, if not the greatest Dreamworks villain of all time
To be fair, there isn't exactly much competition in that category.

The only one I can think of which could come close is Hiccup's dad in the first HTTYD, and he's more of an antagonist than a villain.

The very first one with Oogway was pretty good but too short.

He didn't actually kill anybody during the entire film.

His army was small and goofy-looking.

He didn't do much with his chi sorcery.

he was amazing as Lionheart

I headcanon that it was his "literally who" status that turned him evil. Basically, he was overshadowed by Oogway even in his own time, and his jealousy lead him to try to be "original" by stealing chi instead of giving it.

In the end, Po would figure out that Oogway and Kai were never truly equals, since he read the jade scroll, and that it's the combined efforts of your friends, family, and self that truly make you the unique self you are. He tells Kai that his jealousy and the 500 years of taking chi turned him into "nothing" and ends up defeating him by giving him too much of his own chi. /spoiler]

This might sound stupid but Kai didn't feel like a movie villain. He just had villain of the week status written all over him. IMHO of course.

Man, his bgm is so og.
youtube.com/watch?v=oF7vFFTnc98

We're told his backstory, not shown it, so we have no emotional connection to where he's coming from.

I was under the impression that they were both evil.
When Kai talks about Oogway betraying him, it's because he became good when he found spiritual enlightenment through chi.

it lacked of melodic punch like John Powell did, but there are still pretty good themes

That sounds pretty accurate to me. The entire movie felt a lot like an episode of the TV show, and that's a pretty bad thing, the TV show was not good.

It's not as good as the previous movies' soundtracks, but there's still some gems.

youtube.com/watch?v=FvGC5YcdsAY
youtube.com/watch?v=5qvYTNjT3a8
youtube.com/watch?v=xvJBn_2BpyU

The fact that they aped the Yaungol and Ordos from Mists of Pandaria?

his theme was great

Who?

Kai was a bit player in his own movie, being barely relevant to the central story of Po's reconciliation with his fathers. It often felt like he was a last minute addition, made to satisfy the need to have a big bad to fill action quotas and please certain overseas markets. Like HTTYD2's Drago, he was a bore who reeked of writing by committee.

The fight scenes didn't help Kai. They were overburdened by colors and explosions and rippling waves of energy that would be more appropriate in a scrolling shooter, and are just as forgettable. It was a lot of flash with very little creativity in choreography.