Avengers Disasemble/House of M are one of the most toxic event books in Marvel history

comicbookresources.com/article/flashback-how-marvels-house-of-m-changed-an-industry-and-a-universe

>To truly understand the full impact of "House of M," one must understand the landscape of Marvel Comics in 2001 and the state of the intracompany crossover in general. Marvel had all but abandoned the event format and had instead -- under Jemas and Quesada -- focused on creatively fixing its all-star cast of characters, a super heroic pantheon that was left somewhat broken by the speculative glut of the '90s

>"House of M" #1 centered on Scarlet Witch, a long time Avenger. In "Avengers Dissembled," Wanda Maximoff was responsible for the mass destruction that tore Earth's Mightiest Heroes apart. In "House of M," the Avengers and the X-Men gathered to discuss just what should be done about this dangerous mutant with the ability to alter reality on a whim. This situation presented Marvel with many firsts. It was the first in a long line of crossovers that would involve the clash between two groups of major heroes. "Civil War," "World War Hulk" and "Avengers vs. X-Men" would follow as Marvel found a new formula to grab fan attention -- have two factions of popular heroes find a fundamental, ethical difference and have said heroes battle it out in a massive event.

>"House of M" not only altered the Marvel Universe, it also altered real world publishing as many later crossovers would use the "House of M" model to varying degrees of success. The very next year, "Civil War" aped the "House of M" publishing plan and set the standard for comic book events.

So not only did House of M set up a shitty new status quo for mutants that lasted nearly a decade but it set the formula for annual events, along with all the ''get fans angry bullshit that it entails, that Marvel still fallows to this day. And of course made Bendis' influence withing the company to do whatever the fuck he wanted all the larger.

Also storytime

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers_Disassembled
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's really fucked up is that Bendis' run was actually hugely successful and made the Avengers a name.

>not only did House of M set up a shitty new status quo for mutants that lasted nearly a decade
HoM was shit but post HoM X-men until Schism was great for the most part.

bump

Fuck i did not know talking about bendis get you ban from cbr. Well, given that talking about the creators (in a extremely honest way) gets you banned in this forum........................

>Viper
>Really?
>Really
>Madame Hydra?
>Madame Hydra. Viper. Whatever. Yes.
>The one with the green hair
>Yes, my dear Ant-man
>The One with the SEXY green hair and green leather
>You have a thing for her?
>I really do

Holy fucking goddamned shit it's only one page in and it's already too much Bendis?, Bendis, Bendis the writer? For me to fucking handle.

>This writing
>This art
One of the worst comics in decades. I hated this event when it was released, I hate it now.

>Jennifer turning into the actual Hulk
I completely forgot that happened. Ugghhhh... how did anybody look at this and say "Yeah, people will like this."

> Jennifer bcoming the Hulk
I completely forgot this happened! Ughhhhhh... How did anybody look at this and say "Yeah, people will like this."?

The only thing that makes it tolerable in retrospect is that virtually all the longtime Avengers these events shat on because they were too obscure - Hawkeye, Vision, Scott Lang, and especially Scarlet Witch - are now famous because of movies.

Thanks for posting it though user.

The style of 2000s comics with their photorealism, drab colors and constant explosions are as dated now as the style of 1990s comics.

At least House of M had nice art (Coipel > Finch)

I will always ultimately blame fans. Even though people know it's a gimmick are tired of the gimmick and vocally oppose the gimmick. They still buy it. Like actually pay money for said gimmick. At some point the drug dealer you go out of your way to see and pay money to stops being the bad guy. Go to a different fucking dealer, buy a different fucking product. Or sack up and kick the damn habit all together.

"If this is a Bendis event, consider me Switzerland."

Thank fuck Wanda is staying out of CW2.

I think the thing is that events prey on newer fans who haven't become as worn out and jaded as we are.

Really?
Madame Hydra?
Viper?
Yazoo?
Frijj?
Shreddies?
Ecumenical Imposition?

Oh I double posted somehow. I've never had that happen before. Sorry.

Bendis from day 1 started satisfying personal agendas with his characters: The lengths he went to just to kill off scott Lang are ridiculous.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers_Disassembled

He also hated Jack of Hearts because he saw him as an obscure literally who. He believed the Avengers should just have big A-Listers like the Justice League.
And then he added Sentry and fucking Echo to the team, exposing him as a hypocrite.

Donr they all die

Fuck you Spider-Man. And fuck you Bendis.