You're langauge

You're langauge
What do you think is the most difficult part of your language for a non-native to learn or understand?

Tonality/inflections/stresses. Everything else is pretty well structured, and once you get done the basics is easy, but stresses are just some random bullshit. I mean, people will still understand you from context, but you'll sound retarded.

Different stressed forms of certain personal pronouns (je/jij, we/wij, ie/hij, etc.) Far from necessary to communicate clearly but definitely something Dutch learners always fuck up.

And Dutch people tend to use a lot of abstract, seemingly non sequitur proverbs and sayings. Some people communicate in sayings almost exclusively

Apart from those minor details, Dutch is pretty easy

I'm not exactly sure but I'd imagine the non-specificness and pronunciation could be very difficult for a non-native.

Hitting the right tones

>long and short vowels
>fourth person verbs
“My friend’s buddy is [verb]ing”
>clusivity
We (not you) vs. We (with you)
>animacy
>genderlessness everything
>independent or clausitive verb
>no articles, so nouns and verbs replaced by obviation and proximation
>person is connected to verb
I see him - niwâpamaw
not “ni wâpama w”
>verbs are either transitive or intransitive
>have to learn two forms of a verb for if the object is animate or not
nimôwaw - i eat him/her
nimîcison - i eat it
(Some food is animate, like fish ‘kînosew’
“nimôwaw kînosew” not “nimîcison kînosew”)

Id say that the verb animacy would be the hardest
sorry for the autism

All the fucking nuances

Jesus fucking Christ, is it even possible for a foreigner to learn this shit?

what language is this?
google translate is not helping

The millions of verb conjugations, seriously, it's hard even for natives as well sometimes. Sometimes we have to say verbs in X tense and we're not really sure how to say it, and stutter a bit or end up saying something that sounds like a made up word.

what's the most common mistake native spanish speakers make in their own language? like getting "you're/your" wrong

Yeah, it wouldnt be on gooe translate cause its a small language.
Its plains Cree, an indigenous language

The more I stare at it, the less difficult it seems
t. Käytännöllistäjä

It may be something else, but the one that comes to mind now is "dequeismo". It's basically adding a "de" before a "que" when you shouldn't. Let me see..
"Nos dijo *de que* nos dejo tarea" that *de* is wrong, it would roughly be "he told us that he left us of homework" or something like that.
Oh, another one is adding "s" to verbs when you're saying an action involving everyone. Like "encontremonos" is "let's meet/find" (with each other) and some say "encontremoSnos" and it sounds so bad. "CorramoSnos", "juntemoSnos" etc.

this is a south american problem with spanish. obviously they dont speak the correct way.

I've read on the Duolingo forums that EVERY SINGLE Hungarian volunteer has quit

EVERY SINGLE ONE

No one's working on the Hungarian course anymore, and it's shitty and full of errors. What the hell happened?

Affixes.

Holy shit, it's still in beta.

Barely.

it's been in beta for 2 years because everyone quit

why did they all quit? Is working (for free) for Duolingo a bad workplace experience?

No wonder you lot learn our language instead

idk, guess some were busy and others couldn't be arsed. You should probably pick up a free grammar books instead.

literally as snobbish about language as a frenchie

For me it’s Langue d’Oïl

the french have a reason to be snobby, after all their language is the most beautiful and elegant in the entire world

The language was created here kangaroo eater.

Get used to it.

What? It's literally just learning vocab lol.

god fucking damn it Duolingo. Then hire more volunteers. They're working for free

I'm just buy some real grammar books at this point

why are you learning hungarian?

why not ameriburger? learning a new language is always good.

There's a Hungarian coworker who once said it was sad that no one spoke Hungarian with him anymore. I thought that was sad, so I wanted to learn Hungarian and at least say some basic phrases to him

Trust me, reading and using the language is much better than duolingo. Duolingo will give you a feel for it as well as basic grammar and vocab but other than that, you won't learn too much.

grammatical cases always fuck me up

obvously reading and using is better always. but duolingo has the idea that you have zero sense of the language to understand it.

It is just the first step doode.

yeah I know but
I just wanted a non-shitty course for Hungarian. 40%-60% of the material has minor or major errors, and no one is fixing it

Je parle français, vas t'en esp*gnol

unironically a heart warming story

yea I know, I've used Duolingo a few times and it's decent but lacking in some instances.

Fuck man, that's frustrating. Good luck with your hunting

Are you gay for him or something? lol

I learned Hungarian in high school for a qt exchange student from Hungary. My first and only love. I quit playing WoW and spent all my spare time on learning Hungarian. Unfornutaley I was a huge beta back then and never even made a move.

They figured they don't want to work for free so they don't care anymore.

> Unfornutaley I was a huge beta back then
are you a huge alpha now, Günther?

my problem with duolingo is that the sentences often have loads of errors or disputes and you don't know this as a newbie unless you open the comment chain for every single one.
the idea is sound but they really need stricter QC

I'm the chadmeister now.

English seems pretty shitty with heteronyms, words spelled the same but pronounced differently
Lead (the metal), lead (to lead)
Read (past tense), read (present tense)
Winds (the winds blow), winds (the path winds)
Wound (the string is wound around a peg), wound (somebody stabbed me, I have a wound)
Tear (a tear in fabric), tear (I cried a tear)
Sewer (where shit goes), sewer (a tailor)
Polish (the Polish people), polish (to make something shine)

There's a lot more I'm sure I forgot
French, the other language I know, has its share of problems, a lot of words that sound very similar which are hard to distinguish to the foreign ear. But at least when one reads something generally one can expect that the pronunciation will be the same in every context. My French professor, as a commentary upon English's problems, related once that she had a French friend in the US who said that he had a "wound" and nobody could figure out what he was saying at first, until they realized that he was pronouncing it like rope which was wound up rather than wound, the injury.

The only thing I can think of off my head for French by contrast. is fils (a son), and fils (plural of fil, thread), having different pronunciations iirc, but that's related to French pronunciation rules for plural.

(Russian) From what I've seen, Westerners when trying to speak Russian stick very hard to the word order and choice used in their native language (e.g. English) instead of speaking in the order Russians normally speak and write. Advanced Westerners have this to a lesser extent but they apparently still can't acquire vocabulary without a dictionary. Curiously unlike Westerners, Asians (e.g. Chinese) all seem to speak Russian with natural syntax.

I think people from Romance languages have a hard time learning English because our verbs have no solid conjugation method, particularly for past tense verbs
>past tense of run is ran, not runned
>past tense of drink is drank, not drinked
>past tense of jump is jumped, not jamp
>past tense of read is read
Shit makes no sense
At least in English possession is easier to convey
My girlfriend's mom is easier than La madre de mi novia.

english has no solid method at all

There's indeed a short list of irregular verbs but you can familiarize yourself with all of them within a week
Most verbs are completely regular

>English is the only language that has irregular verbs. It's a completely alien feature for speakers of Romance languages.

Very cute

It's always cute to see speakers of babyspeak tier languages like English and Dutch pretend like their language is one of the most complicated languages in the world, completely oblivious to how basically any other language works. I once saw a Dutch guy who vehemently believed dutch was the single most difficult language in the world kek.