Oats studio

oatsstudios.com/

So are any of these shorts good or is it all just crap?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_R5xIdXwNMk
imgur.com/Gbxyizb
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mw_HKzo9Ync
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

zygote is the best so far.
still marred by clumsy exposition for the first 6 mins.
blomp has some imagination but he needs to learn a few basic rules of storytelling

Where is Hall?

They're all good, but they're all ads for potential features.

I was kinda hoping they would be ongoing shorts in series that add up to a feature - Like Heavy Metal Magazine or 2000AD used to do.

Zygote was probably the best overall, but Firebase had the most potential - Zygote seems like it would be enough for a good, small, 80 minute DTV sci-fi thriller.

Rakka was a bit generic.

Firebase had a lot of ideas and set ups that could be made in to a cool full length feature, I guess, but as a short there was too much in there.

Who?

youtube.com/watch?v=_R5xIdXwNMk

Very cool stuff, though some of it is a bit underdeveloped, but then again, this seems like alot of throwaway ideas blomkamp have had over the years that has too little mass appeal that he bothers to develop them into full feature films.

They just show how he's a shit narrator, full of derivative, unoriginal ideas and should have never left the VFX bussiness

Tell me how you really feel

Ooof, do keep that contrarianism under check user i can feel the edge from here.

Rakka was 100% intentionally slathered in narration. After that your """"""argument''''''''''' starts falling in on itself. The chief bill shorts were great, District 9 was amazing, Elysium was great, Chappie was good, Firebrand and rakka were both great or amazing, and zygote was amazing.

>full of derivative, unoriginal ideas.

imgur.com/Gbxyizb

Vid must be unrelated then. Rakka aliens and chappie bots were pretty damn original,the zygote was explicitly made as a thing homage and the prawns are pretty much iconic as their own thing. let's not even mention the river god being all kinds of unique.

they are absolute shit, the man seems to be decent and sometimes even more than competent at visual effects but he is absolutely attrocious in all other aspects and has no directing qualities whatsoever.
it really does feel like a student trying to make a film and pretending to know what he's doing.
>shittier, cliche dialogue and narration
>no understanding of cinematography, blocking, directing actors
>no understanding of storytelling in film

the guy could make cookie cutter cinematics for shit games but even the latest need for speed has more competent direction in their cringy cinematics.

I'm sorry for all the blomkf fanbois, but the man needs to learn his trade and stop churning out literal garbage for the masses of 12 year olds who are impressed by visual effects.

t. neill blomkamp

>Elysium was great

Elysium was okay
Chappie was dog shit tho

This.
He needs to hire someone to do the script.
Also, zygote reminded me of this
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mw_HKzo9Ync

>Elysium was great
>chappie was good
>firebrand was good

>shorts are no less than 30 minutes
>needs to have Sup Forums tell them which ones to watch

You're probably too dumb to understand the movies and you'll just think they are shit anyway, it's best for you to steer clear.

Elysium is a 10/10 world with a charismatic villain, but beyond that I don't think it was very good. I think Blomkamp is a good sci-fi director but maybe he needs better scripts?

Why?
They don't seem to be anything like each other.

I think Blomkamp makes great worlds, has really cool ideas and obviously makes sure that the CGI pretty much is as good as it can get

However yeah his scripts are pretty clunky. Lots of exposition being told by characters

I think the senator man was being incredibly sarcastic on purpose to make it obvious he is lying. He is actually a hero.

Forgot to finish.

t. Brainlet.

No I finished it.
I don't see the relation.

>scifi short
>main character fights an alium robot or something
>at the end the main character escapes only to discover the ayy lmaos have destroyed human civilization

Forgot again, sorry, I'm such a dummy!.

t. Brainlet.

The light stuff/horror, taking over/controlling the guys on the mining facility.

Name one(1) movie that does this

>main character fights an alium robot or something
>at the end the main character escapes only to discover the ayy lmaos have destroyed human civilization
Cloverfield Lane, sort of?

Human civilization wasn't anywhere close to being destroyed in that movie.

I don't think you understand sarcasm

>Fire base is like doom in nam
>Rakka is like halo post apocalypse
>Zygote is like amnesia with genetic experiments
What game idea is he gonna do next?

I watched Chappie again and realized NB has been like this even before Alien Covenant and Oats

Good mech. Good creature effects. Good special make up. Good idea about cyborg dystopian. Everything looks great until the music begins. The slowmo action scenes and news footage and government secret footage come in to explain to you what happened. They are all great, full of effects and the looks and feels of the footage they want to simulate, but somehow you eventually realize they are all distractions and the main story is cut into pieces by these

For example in the end of Chappie they use a news footage to tell you that robots are recalled and human reserve police are called in, and that Chappie is still wanted. Then they jumped into Yolanda's funeral. Then they found her brain scan back up. Then they used it to make a Yolanda robot.

The idea was great. The footages and the effects were good. But the story was cut into pieces

Rakka was generic but it was still awesome. Firebase was different, needed some expansion. Zygote was fucking kino.

The real question is wtf is going on in cooking with bill?

The one with Sigourney Weaver is the best. The 'Nam one is total shit. The big meatball alien one is pretty okay.

I saw that Fire base video and felt weird when they say the river god was just a Vietnamese farmer.
It feels like nothing marters in this time and age and people are free to do whatever they want in this freeworld

I'd watch that firebase one as a feature.

Neil has some fantastic ideas and sfx. However the writing is bad and acting is stiff. My list would go 1.Zygote 2.Firebase 3.Rakka

The river god is obviously an american experiment gone rouge and escaped. The story about the farmer is just lies.

That's retarded. Why would the CIA lie?

Wtf was going on in Firebase? Are they aliens or what? They say the River God is just a farmer and unlocked this power through grief and rage or whatever, but then when they're shooting these zombified soldiers, it's like they're Jay wearing human skin over an alien skeleton. They're even said to "look like spiders."

So wtf is it? Is the River God just a human or something else? Firebase had a cool aesthetic but seems the least developed of the three.

That's unironically, their job

You need to learn how to go out of your room.

I really felt they should have kept the origins of the river god a mystery.
Theres a lot of fun speculation that could have been had based just on his character design.
Maybe he is what the vietnamese say he is, a god awoken by the american invasion.
But then why does he have a bunch of electronics strapped to him?
Unfortunately they explained everything and now theres no speculation to be had.
Could have been fun.

I figured the symbolism was pretty obvious.
The river god turns american soldiers into zombies with horrible bug monsters just under their skin.

It's an american experiment that got out and escaped into the viatnemese jungle

Sure, kid.
But no, my point was that there's room for a good script in there (for a science fiction war movie). It seems like it could be fun. I want action movies more like the ones in the 80's.

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Patrician rating coming through:

Firebase > Raqqa > Zygote

The river god can change space and time at will, so he makes the soldiers into insectoid monsters like he would see them.

This list is not an opinion, is a fact, not only by the quality of visuals but by the content and posibilities of each story. Zygote is basically a rejected Dead Space monster in The Thing setting.

I'd nut myself over a sci-fi nam movie.

Neil Blomkamp reminds me a lot of me in high school. Fuckin edgy bro ideas, really creative creature/monster/robot ideas, but heavy-handed and cringy storytelling execution.

Neil desperately needs to pair up with a great screenwriter. His VFX is so fucking good it pains me to see it consistently being wasted on derivative stories. District 9 was a fucking miracle, and even then at the end it devolves into a videogame. Elysium was when everyone knew he shit the bed, and Chappie wasn't great either.

He's the perfect ideas guy, but he fucks up the details.

no they're meme shorts taylor made for reddit

>taylor made
fucking brainlet

What you didn't know taylor swift was involved with this?

is it true that Rakka is about ISIS?
Rakka = Raqqa?

All their work that isn't those garbage telsell videos are pretty good.

I honestly think it's the future of kino.
I would pay to go see three good quality shorts instead of a mediocre film.

It doesnt need to follow the classic story progression. Who cares to see one hour of character building, flashbacks and slowly waiting for the action to arrive.

It's just boom take that in your face no need to explain just enjoy your eyes bleeding.

Stories would be better and movies cheaper to make.

Works well with action movies of course.

Imagine Alien Covenant reduced to half an hour and its a good flick.

Zygote reminded me of this

I loved Firebase

>chappie bad
Fucking why, explain your thought ya dingii

>It doesn't need to follow the classic story progression. Who cares to see one hour of character building, flashbacks and slowly waiting for the action to arrive.

I agree because it gives me more material to shitpost about the shorts on Sup Forums.

True Patrician rating coming through:
Rakka=Firebase=Zygote

all are equally good :)

this is honestly my favorite game. SO thematically consistent, the game doesn't clash with the mood or story. Shining beacon of what games can do.

Is a pretty basic "think about it from the terrorists perspective" shit yes

WTF I hate Neill Muhammed bin Blomkamp now.

Your descriptions just highlight how dumb and culturally bankrupt you are.

>and even then at the end it devolves into a videogame
The action is good though, and it's not exactly a brainy sci-fi movie so it's not out of place.

So what comparisons would a culturally enriched person make?

Zygote > Rakka > It Ain't Me

Not using video games as comparisons for starters. Lmao

Zygote was the best, firebase was weakest. Effects are really good for their budget, especially the violence even if it is always just someone exploding, also God was charming.

Elysium was great.

And after you start?

all are pretty crap.

Trying to help uncultured swine like you is like trying to explain what color is to a blind person. You are beyond help.

>WE HAVE BUILT A CONSSEEEERVAATTOORRRYY
If that is not sarcasm, what is?

>guys please hire me again
>I swear I'm not poison
>I don't want to make commercials in south africa

Fucking hack. I hope all the wasted money drives him into homelessness.

District 9 is GOAT
Elyseum is OK
Chappie is good but needs knoledge od Die Antword to be appreciat
RAKKA has good designs and ideas but the whole court looks like a patchwork
FIREBASE is probably the one that suffer the less from being a court. It could be turned into a full lenght movie very too. prob my fav of vol. 1
Zygote is good but it looks more like it is the last scene of a sci fi movie than a short itself, also too much exposition in first minutes. If they wanted to turn it into a full lenght movie they would need more substance than only the monster.

Overall i love its work, i still think he really needs to get a bunch of writers closer to him.

Also i hope we will get more videos of sharlton coppley as god.

I liked all of them. My fav goes : 2 > 3 > 1, though.

Production speaking, it's pretty shit. But in concept it's actually pretty kino.
I mean at least each piece is fucking original, which is more than most of what's being churned out nowadays can say.

That sounds like something uncultured swine would say

Redpill me on cooking with bill, what is really happening?

bump

havent seen zygote yet, but Rakka and Firebase follow the exact same overarching plot structure same as elysium: everyone is faced with an overwhelmingly powerful enemy, theres resistance to it that is struggling to maintain itself. the resistance/army/the poor find a seemingly special individual and lay all hopes on him to beat the antagonist.
it's all fun and flashy and well-made, sure, but from what i've seen, it's a fucking one-trick pony.
There is no inventive story structure whatsoever. It's just interchangeable setpieces and pro/antagonists

>2024
>not going to the conservatory
>mfw

true, at least we had he mystery of the river god, until they decided to explain it, but still, it had potential.

Also they army guy, reminded me of snake.