Why do all of the Game of Thrones characters have British accents?

Why do all of the Game of Thrones characters have British accents?

it's not set in England and the author is American.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JiFAoOWJ-c0
what-if.xkcd.com/48/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because pommy "charm" appeals to yank normies. Also its an easy as fuck way of saying its set in the middleages (even though most english prior to 1600 would be unintelligible to us).

When will people learn that British people are the best actors and actresses? There's a reason why a lot of British actors play American characters, because the alternative otherwise is garbage.

dink is the only american and best character tho

we dont have our actors star in thai movies either. Bet your ass thai actors want to be in american movies though. When you're on top, you dont feel so compelled to spend years perfecting and learning another countries mannerisms when you can do what you know and make bank+be seen all around the world

Because its heavily influenced by a lot of medieval history, and Westeros is basically a retarded UK map. Its too difficult to create new accents so they do what has been done with almost every other aspect and taken it from history, and we all OBVIOUSLY know that english people have always spoken english with the same words and vowel sounds since forever.
Lol no but its what you think of right? Like its just easier to accept the medieval themed british accent as thats how its always been done

Because American accents sound like donkeys neighing.

The strongest doesn't stay that way if he's complacent, so your meme logic is flawed

This, I tried reading a 14th century marriage scroll that may have been from my family (was found near the town of Barnes and had the Barnes family crest (not sure if it was an approval thing from the local lord or if it was a Barnes getting married), my surname is Barns and my great great great grandfather lived in Surrey.
Anyways I tried reading it and I couldnt make out shit, Its pretty much a completely different language.

American accents are a joke and no-one takes them seriously. Whenever someone talks with an American accent, you immediately think that they're stupid or they're trying to sell you something.

It's ridiculous because apparently, the American accent was the original one. The Brittish one we know is the aristocratic one, that has been adapted by all people in the UK some time after people settled in the US.

Obviously, accents changed after that, but technicaly, american english is closer to medieval english than the brittish English is. The same happend with the French that is spoken in Canada btw.

gwynnaeuour bothothr yonthur gaewaria paealaceaft

Stemning [fuck] [yourself] êower h¯æð of [cum]

youtu.be/JiFAoOWJ-c0

>the American accent was the original one.
WE
WUZ
ENGLISHMEN AND SHEEIT

I always assumed George RR Martin was British until I found out he's form fucking Bayonne New Jersey

Myth.

You fucking imbecile British people don't all have one accent. Some of the rhotic accents in the country are far older then that piss-ant teenager known as the USA. The idea that some retarded american scientist believes american is closer to true historical British is insane.

jesus christ calm down. I already said that the modern brittish english we know is the aristocratic one. Obviously there are other regions on that fucking Island who speak differently, they never tried to mimic the speech of the aristocrats. But when the normal ass people started settling in the US, they imported their styleof talking and didn't join in on the "trend" to talk like aristocrats. That's all I'm saying. From there, they developed their speech differently, as did people in other regions of the UK

They get really mad when you imply Bongistani isn't eternal.

what-if.xkcd.com/48/

it is eternal!

You do realise your accent is outdated by 40,000 year old grunting

pete dinkles?

listen to this guy and tell me his "american accent" is "good"

>Its pretty much a completely different language.
It absolutely is a different language. That's why linguists distinguish between modern English (basically Shakespeare to us), Middle English (1066 - 1500, think Chaucer), and Old English (500 - 1065, eg Beowulf). There are similarities, but it's on the level of the relationship between the romance languages... lots of shared root words and forms, but hardly the same language.

This. Theatre culture has elevated British actors desu

Because westeros is discount fantasy britain

Normens were a mistake

U fookin' wot m8? I'll hook u in ur bloody gabber, I swear on me mum's lyfe. -What every British person sounds like.

American English is clear and straightforward.

the english accent was also very different to what it is now before the 1600s, I remember in the documentary they said it was closer to what the irish accent is now that the current English accent.

There's a neat podcast about the English language called the History of English podcast. It goes over English history in chronological order and ties the events to the etymology of works and the evolution of the English language.

I'm pretty sure westeros is supposed to be Great Britain, Iron Island is Ireland obviously, Essos is France and Danaerys is William the Conqueror.

It is literally set in England though

What exactly is the accent that the Northerners have?

Why don't they just fly Bran into the land of always winter? They refused helping frodo, but sure the eagles wouldn't refuse helping a cripple.

Northern grove street in Didsbury west Manchester.

You seem to be thinking of the southern accent, which to be fair seems to be the go to impression for non americans.

Medieval fantasy with American accents always sounds awful. Same with Roman setting

And most of medieval Europe wasn't England most of the periods English Lords were Anglo-Norman and spoke French.

Yup, British actors tend to from upper-middle class families and are classically trained, whilst American actors are almost always just very attractive men and women who got lucky.

It's the fucking war of the roses with dragons

This is clearly set in an medieval era, america wasn't around then therefore it has to be English.

>Why do all of the Game of Thrones characters have British accents?
GRRM is from the Englandtown neighborhood of Bayonne. The thing he does in interviews is just a "character" he made up to be a more convincing "american author". IRL, he actually sounds exactly like Michael Caine.

Because American accents in fantasy completely break immersion.

Explain Emilia Clarke.

so what part of the war of the roses is game of thrones copying now?

This.

Imagine what LotR would have sounded like with Murcan accents.

>sure y'all, ah'll take that there ring, but danged if ah know the way ...

Why are they writing in english on the show?

Americans have no medieval history

but it is set in england, its loosely based on the war of the roses.

yea we do

this post made me irrationally angry
I had to go and get a glass of water

you are far too rearded to understand, nobody likes your fucking yank dumed down english
the british, australian or even fucking danish english is more interesting and appealing to the ear

It was more like a New England/Australian accent but that was 18th & 19th Century. Have no idea what it was like in the middle ages. Then again English itself wasn't the same language.

Nope. That was the Stone Age.

They play American characters because American is the standard, you fool.