Was it ever explained why Dexter felt the need to hide his lab from his parents?

Was it ever explained why Dexter felt the need to hide his lab from his parents?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8g4tS_etVq0
youtube.com/watch?v=GM9liWZMfPk
youtube.com/watch?v=SsUrfiycSts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

OP you're joking right?

That lab had nuclear weapons inside it it's literally a hot spot for danger

the power bill is one

They're dumb and they would have interfered

Because they are adults and would use his genius in greedy and destructive ways.

He was conducting all sorts of illegal shit down there like weapons manufacturing and gene mutations. Are you fucking retarded?

They probably had ideas for it in the concept phase that never really made it to the show but they still held over the secret lab aspect.

They found out about his lab in that one episode where they form the giant Voltron-ish robot, but he mind-wipes them at the end of the episode when they confront him about it.

Interestingly, in the original short the lab apparently isn't secret- Dexter's room just opens out into the lab, nothing is hidden.

He was getting into all sorts of fucked up shit in there.

Still think the "hiding dangerous secrets from everyone except your closest companions" plot point is fucking retarded in all its many, many forms.

Oh then I guess I'm full of shit.

serious question OP. did you ever watch the show?

Disagree, in the comedy format it's just fine. It was hardly ever that big of a plot point in the show anyway.

Holy shit, why didn't he mindwipe Deedee this whole time?

What if he originally erased her memory when she found his lab, but then she found it again, so he erased the memory again, and this kept happening. Eventually he gave her severe brain damage which is why she's so dumb, and why he won't do it anymore.

I'd imagine he's tried that before but she always ends up finding it again

Why bother when there's nothing there to wipe in the first place?

They're blabbermouths. If they learn of the lab's existence (and don't have their memories erased quickly enough), it won't be long before the governments of the world do as well.

If ur a kid, u want ur space and u don't want parents tellin u wat 2 do. So now Dexter built his own place and it's his personal space, it's natural to not want his parents to know about it. Do you want your parents to know all about your cool secret shit?

this.

Many of Dexter's experiments are unethical. It's not that he didn't want to share his genius with the world, but more that he had to. The world would never understand.

The only person he felt capable of seeing his lab in the candid morbidity it really was, was Dede... who was far too stupid to understand.

In the end, Dexter was tortured by his own hubris and need to express himself. Only in DeDe could he share his lab, but every time she step foot, she'd ruin his glorious experiments.

>Deedee blows up all his experiments
It's because they would destroy it all like his autistic sister.

They would also either be up his ass about it all or force him to destroy the lab.

What's so unethical about his lab?

He experiments on animals and shit user.

I just assumed it was all his imagination, so he had a small lab but it was really just his closet and it was full of fake experiments like stuffed animals and robot toys. Off the shelf beakers. That sort of shit.

It was secret to his parents because he's a kid, it's just part of the game.

We tend to have a rosy colored picture of Dexter these days, but you have to remember, he was morally neutral at best, and downright evil at worst.

>illegal shit like gene mutation
I still find it sad and weird that something like that is illegal in some places.

that's retarded

Also he is in a coma.

Why do people have to ruin all fiction with the "it was just in the character's head" theories?

Don't be mad, it's just a theory
A SHIT THEORY

maybe their parents didnt want to bother with a pet dog so they didnt want dexter to have a lab

she's known about it since before his inventions were advanced enough for that sort of thing. wiping that many years would be really dangerous.

kind of unrelated, but in this song does it sound like Will I Am is talking about a meth lab to anyone else?
youtube.com/watch?v=8g4tS_etVq0

I don't know OP
Why did anyone hide anything from their parents

because your mom hid her pregnancy lmao

Why weren't Dexter and Mandark friends if they were both really smart and disliked their families?

We aren't talking stuff like increasing your immune system, he turned a human girl into a horse. That is not something that would go over well legally.

But his dad was really excited when he brought home a gold lab.

He owed NASA $200,000,000 in 1998
Paid it with his sisters publishers clearing house winner check

Mandark fucked his mom. That's not okay.

One of the points about Dexter's parents the show makes is that as a general thing, they don't understand him. Like, at all. They buy him sports gear for his birthday and don't get that he loves superhero related stuff/assume getting him a bike will be the best thing ever and think piano lessons are a good idea (when Deedee is shown to have *no musical comprehension* despite having taken them herself) and even when Dexter goes to ridiculous extremes to get an allowance raise, his dad just gives him a quarter with a laugh and then gives Deedee like the entire contents of his wallet. They don't take him seriously nor appreciate his intelligence.

...This is actually the JOKE, about how parents don't understand their own kids, but from a non-meta perspective, given this, it's little wonder Dexter would rather retreat into his secret lab rather than share it with them.

she mind wipe him first

Kek

He probably just enjoys the social interaction.

Retarded episode. Particularly since the show creators were basically holding up a sign saying "Look! We're going WAY out of our way to NOT tell you the last name of Dexter's family"

Same shit with never telling the first names of Timmy Turner's parents, That's idiotic.

Just tell the parents names for fucks sake

They'd restrict his usage of the lab and goad him into being a normal kid more than ever.

Considering all the shit he does for NASA and the government, plus the fact that he can most likely make his own energy, I'm not sure it's a problem.

Fuck, at least Jimmy Neutron never had to hide his lab from his parents. I think he even had his own energy source, or at least was able to make his devices be powered by everyday substances.

Wasn't this issue played upon at one point? though IIRC it wasn't exactly about the electricity bill; Dexter owed NASA some hundred thousand bucks and his efforts to raise money always fail or gets bested by DeeDee's.

Cynicism.

His parents are really conservative and fear that science-y stuff like stem cell is a pathway to hell.

Think how many dangerous things Dexter attempts in his experiments. Do you think any sane parent would allow their son to do half of that shit?

youtube.com/watch?v=GM9liWZMfPk

He's an autistic kid, in a coma, in a post-apocalyptic purgatory.

Cloning.

AI that nearly destroyed the world on more than one occasion.

Creation of countless weapons.

Use of nuclear materials.

Human and animal testing.

All in the hands of an 8 year old who's motivations (outside of science) include Saturday morning cartoons, toys, and his teenage babysitter.

Disaster waiting to happen, and on more than one occasion, an actual disaster.

>Why do people have to ruin all fiction with the "it was just in the character's head" theories?

youtube.com/watch?v=SsUrfiycSts

It blew peoples' fucking minds in the 80's.

Dexter just didn't want people messing around with his private little nook. I recognize autistic behavior when I see it. Why do you think he talks like he does?

His dad knew about the lab.

Well, they were both crazy people that didn't understand him at all. Why would Dexter expect them to allow him to continue conducting dangerous experiments when they wouldn't even let him stay up late to watch a movie?

They were both crazy and seemingly retarded. It would be like having 3 Deedee running around

>Fuck, at least Jimmy Neutron never had to hide his lab from his parents.
he more or less did it, one time his father enter accidentally and he have no idea it existed (he asume jimmy maiden a discotec), but is not that important because everybody knows he is a genius how constructs super bullshit, other people go to the laboratory all the time.

It does not matter, those were not his real parents anyway.

Well I dunno user.

Sometimes you just gotta.
The government would agree.

I think you might be suffering from the A-word.

Inside a snowglobe