Why Marvel Will Change Captain Marvel’s Origin Story in the Brie Larson Film

>Why Marvel Will Change Captain Marvel’s Origin Story in the Brie Larson Film

>Guardians of the Galaxy scribe and Captain Marvel co-writer Nicole Perlman said on a podcast Tuesday that Carol Danvers (a.k.a. Captain Marvel) will get a new origin story. Perlman explained that Marvel wanted to differentiate Captain Marvel’s backstory from that of DC Comics’ Green Lantern. (The two tales share some similarities.) Perlman said the changes would make the movie—the 21st in the Marvel Cinematic Universe—more cohesive with the other Marvel films.

>“If you were just going to do a straight adaptation of the comics, her origin story is very similar to Green Lantern. And obviously, that’s not what we want to do. There’s a lot of reinvention that needs to happen,” she said on Any Time With Vin Forte. “We have to be aware of what’s happened in other Marvel film and makes sure that her particular storyline is unique and fun and also fits in within this world that’s going on at the same time.”

>In the comics, Carol Danvers gets her powers when a machine created by the alien race called Kree—the same race Ronan the Accuser belongs to in Guardians of the Galaxy—explodes. During the disaster, the alien powers of a Kree hero who calls himself Captain Marvel (his real name is Mar-Vell) transfer to Carol, at which point she becomes a superhero in her own right. She first takes the name Ms. Marvel but later adopts Mar-Vell’s old title, Captain Marvel. She becomes a part of the Avengers team and also aids the Guardians of the Galaxy.

>time.com/4448254/captain-marvel-brie-larson-origin-story/

Aside from being pilots and having an alien involved when they get their powers how is Carol's origin like Hal's.

That said this can be a good or a bad thing, I mean who the fuck knows with Carol anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=jenniferlawrence.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They're having to force her so hard to be their big female hero that they're just going to rewrite everything about her.

If you have to completely change their origin story of all fucking things, that's a pretty good sign you probably chose the wrong character.

Yeah at this point going with She-Hulk would have been better.

I called this back when the movie was first announced.
They're going to cut Mar-vell out of her origin entirely because a woman getting her powers from a man wouldn't fit the narrative they want to put out.

She-Hulk likes sex and as such is problematic to be Marvel's flagship Perfect Female Character during the sex-negative 2010s.
It's not like you can casually erase that for the normies like with Carol's drunken fascist history.

Boy I can't wait for Marvel to reboot Carol completely to align themselves with the movie version.

Hopefully the movie Carol is less bland than comic Carol.

They don't have all the Hulk rights, they have to share them.

Which I guess means no Phyla either.
Bunch of wankers.

They're nothing alike.
But yeah, I hope Mar-Vell at least plays some role. Personally, I want him to be introduced as cancer-ridden and doing one last suicide mission: raiding S.H.I.E.L.D. bases for Kree corpses so they can get a proper burial. Do Kree do burials?

It's basically what happened to Tony Stark, and look how that ended.

Marvel's done this shit far more than people realize. Blade, Iron Man, Star Lord, Wolverine, Ultron, now Miss Marvel. Yet no one calls them out on it.

Not wasting time trying to make the general audience care about Mar-Vell is probably a good thing for the movie. Unless you're a Mar-Vell fan.

What are you talking about? The only thing they changed about Tony's origin in the movies is not having it happen in Vietnam.

This board has bitched about every single one of those though. Except Iron Man.

This.

What the fuck did they even change for Iron Man's origin?

>Yet no one calls them out on it.
What? I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of bitching in Marvel threads and most of the time I agree with them.

They aren't going to do anything with Mar-Vell. Too close to Green Lantern, apparently.

Shulkie's originan is as dull as Carol's desu fampai

Mar-Vell isn't close to Green Lantern and neither is Carol. Carol being a military hot shot is as close as it gets. Nova is the closest Marvel has to Green Lantern.

Alien dude dies an gives hotshot earth pilot his powers so their legacy as a galactic superhero lives on.

Brie has a very cold, calculating eyes, like she knows how to manipulate people to get what she wants.

If anything Carol is closer to Supergirl (hello Ms Blonde """"Danvers""" who has the power of the Kreeptonyan race)

Would it really be that hard to have the opening be Mar-Vell dying and then having the power transfer to Carol? That's hardly like Green Lantern, where there's a corps and a weapon instead.

>Unless you're a Mar-Vell fan.

And I'm one of all three of us.

I doubt anyone bitched about Blade.

Mar-Vell didn't intentionally give Carol powers nor did he die while doing it.

Its prefect. Movie fans dont read comics so by the time the movie comes out when the few casuals that backtrack read the books itll be just like the movie. .

And i guess they arent doing Carol/Rhodey in the MCU. Which means they might do Carol/T'challa

This board was made wau after the first Blade movie came out.

Wolverine never had a defining origin and most people don't like the one Marvel gave him.

Star-Lord's origin wasn't going to translate well to film so it needed the tweaking

People bitched about Ultron, where were you at?

They only updated Iron Man's origin but it's about the same as it ever was

Also it's Ms Marvel.

Human is chosen by a dying member of an elite intergalactic police force to take his place and given control over an extreme power source.

Nova is far more similar in origin than Carol.

She got hulk blood because Bruce is her cousin.

You could make it an organ transfer because Bruce's healing factor. Have the Hulk cells mutate the others or some crap.

That was probably the first draft of the script thou

The movie isn't called "Ms Marvel". In order for Carol to get promoted to Captain, Mar-Vell probably died first-act if he was in the movie at all.

Which doesn't mean shit because we're not getting Nova either

Or they'll just skip the Ms. Marvel phase entirely.

>And i guess they arent doing Carol/Rhodey in the MCU
Why wouldn't they? Rhodey isn't dead, just paralyzed.

Not that different from Carol getting her powers from a "male version" of her

Plus, Universal has half of Hulk's rights, Marvel wont be spliting profits of ver first female-lead film

He's twice her age.

Seeing as how the comics version of Carol is a completely milquetoast character, pushed like hell because she's the closest Marvel has to their own Wonder Woman, hopefully they can actually make her interesting.

That said, I believe it would have been better for a Captain Marvel movie to focus on Monica Rambeau instead. Or, fuck it. Make a Nextwave movie. Marvel owns the movie rights to 4/5 characters in that one anyway.

Don Cheadle's 50.

If they even have a love interest (doubtful) it'll be one from Carol's book. Probably Rossi.

Not under Gunn, but Russos may deliver one for IW

Rumours say Sly is playing a Nova corpsmen in GoTG2 thou

She-Hulk could be Marvel Studios' own Deadpool

I'm not going to see this anyway

Carol has much more and better material to draw on than Monica.

You're actually completely right. It's almost certain that movie Carol is going to be a much better character than comics Carol.

But wow, isn't that a huge fucking condemnation of 616 Carol? She's basically a complete failure of a character, or Marvel thinks so. She's such a failure they've basically decided to scoop her out and stuff a completely new character into her skin. That's damning.

She's at least in her mid to late 40's even if you take into account the sliding timescale.

Brie Larson is 26 and this is Carol's origin movie.

In the comics Carol and Rhodey are the same age but in the MCU hes twice her age. Even though Shes supposed to be a colonel which takes 20 years to be promoted. And the actress is 26 .

She probably won't be a colonel in the film

Seems like a smart move staying away from the cancer that is DC. Another 1b box office in the bag

Nova doesn't have much business being on earth

They shoukd have just made her Ms. Marvel then.
It honestlybwould had been better for an older actress but then Marvel couldnt milk her for years after the orginal headliners leave.

Why can't she be Captain Marvel and be, you know, a Captain?

Brie will be almost exactly Carol's age when she got her powers. It wouldn't make sense to get an older actress.

>“If you were just going to do a straight adaptation of the comics, her origin story is very similar to Green Lantern. And obviously, that’s not what we want to do. There’s a lot of reinvention that needs to happen,” she said on Any Time With Vin Forte. “We have to be aware of what’s happened in other Marvel film and makes sure that her particular storyline is unique and fun and also fits in within this world that’s going on at the same time.”

Shes better as Ms. Marvel tho. In my opinion.
But i honestly dont care. No matter what Marvel does Carol as Captain Marvel has never appealled to me all that much.

In that case I hope it's not Rich because Gunn will fuck over Rich if he has to include him.

Almost every Nova comic takes place on Earth.

Marv doesn’t need to die honestly if they go with the EMH Kree storyline but focused it on Carol then it should do good for a Captain Marvel movie.

No, some character in the movie will suggest the name Ms. marvel and she'll spout some ham fisted dialogue of how sex doesn't define her. Even though the only reason she is getting a movie is because she is a woman.

Do you guys think this might be Marvel's first dud? Or will the Marvel name be good enough to carry this movie?

Critics will give it a good rating regardless, I mean they gave nu Ghostbusters a good rating.

Shes getting a movie because ScarJo is gonna be leaving soon and they dont have any non Xmen big names that they can market on her own. Plus they need to convince casual shes there WW.

It's opening two months before Avengers 4 and might lead directly into it considering it's cosmic, it definitely won't be a dud

Don't care, all I want is the Kamala cameo.

>Even though the only reason she is getting a movie is because she is a woman.
Face it, it is also because the character share the name with the company. That is why Marvel never abandoned her all these years.

They are going to have to rework Carol's Captain Marvel look then if they are going to appeal to the young girl demographic, Mckelvie's Carol was a mess with that weird ass mask and mohawk and Anka's design is too masculine.

My 7 year old niece loves Wonder Woman and Supergirl and she thinks Wasp looks awesome (particularly EMH Wasp) but I show her anything with Captain Carol and she gives me a "WTF is this shit? You serious?" look or she completely ignores it.

Hell she likes Songbird's design more than she does Carol's Captain Marvel look but sadly the Tbolts aren't kid friendly.

I'd prefer Monica in this and Kamala showing up after IW.

She-Hulk will always be a knockoff and lesser version of the Hulk

This writer did a good job reinventing the GotG for the movie screen. The MCU is very different from the comics, and that's not a bad thing. There's definitely been some improvements. And she's right, a more original origin story is critical at this point when a lot of the movies start seeming very similar and formulaic.

I doubt they'll cut Mar-vell completely. They'll probably use the Kree heavy and he's a big part of that. They'll just shift the origin around a little so Carol doesn't come off as a female version of him.

A tiny actress (great) and a full CGI She-Hulk

Make Carol a Air Force pilot, maybe with the Captain rank, make Monica Rambeau her co-pilot in a F-15E.

Even though they basically abandoned everyone else to take the title?

My first choice to play Wonder Woman is Jennifer Lawrence

boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=jenniferlawrence.htm

God, they're both douchey bitches.

THICC

That's all KSD knows how to write.

How the fuck do you keep Star-Lord's origin intact while starting with a GOTG movie and not make it hokey as fuck?

This is a good idea user, we also should introduce other less know Marvel characters like Glenn Talbot and Rick Jones in this movie.

>he's still my ex
Bitch, please.

Also, never read much Carol, but isn't she called Captain Marvel, but was officially bumped to a Colonel or something when joining NASA? I always figured her character was at least in her 30s before getting her powers, and then with the sliding timeline, late thirties by now. This whole rewrite seems unnecessary, her origin is unique in of itself (literally part of NASA as a security chief and had experiences with other heroes while in the Air Force). Alcoholism and everything would make a compelling character, since they skipped it with Iron Man, but I guess they're really going for that 'gotta be the female pillar of Marvel!'.

Jesus Christ, they don't know the difference between Captain Marvel and Nova.

Dafuq....

>Even though they basically abandoned everyone else to take the title?
Marvel had been rather insistent that Captain Marvel should continue to exist. Not for Carol's sake but for the Marvel name.

Maybe she'd put more effort into WW but after the X-Men movies I wouldn't even have thought of considering her for shit.

They're talking about the "Alien hero results in a human getting powers orgin" dumbshit. That's already part of Ms. Marvel's origin.

The shitiest of taste.
I like her taste.

Hope the Kree are still involved in it somehow, Marvel needs to do something interesting with them.

Marvel is at a point where they can shit out anything and people will eat it so it will do good.

Literally Richard Ryder's origin, too, making it a valid argument. But with "Captain Marvel", they're more thank likely going to do an "experimented on by the Kree" angle because that makes it far more dramatic and "empowering". And literal connections to "soldier getting tortured/ptsd and still being a hero" that most military movies have been obsessed with as of late.

>her origin story is very similar to Green Lantern. And obviously, that’s not what we want to do
That's fair, it's not like CAPTAIN MARVEL would want to borrow anything from DC, even accidentally.

I hope that's the case and if they really want to differentiate her from him even more just use the Mahr-Vehl version.

>"why is She-Hulk such a Deadpool ripoff?"
cant wait

>Literally Richard Ryder's origin, too, making it a valid argument
No it doesn't if someone said "they don't know the difference between Captain Marvel and Nova." What Perlman said is true, because both Nova's and Ms. Marvel's origins are similar to Hal Jordan Green Lantern's.

One of the first things Gunn said about GotG 2 was that his hate boner for Nova has not subsided.
They just announced Richard's coming back. I'm just gonna enjoy that for now, rather than set unrealistically lofty goals like getting a movie.

Nova is but how the fuck is Carol's origin anything like Hal's other than getting powers from an alien and if that is the case then a lot of superheroes have a similar origin to GL.

>hate boner for Nova
I am almost sure he never said he hates Nova. I think he just doesn't find him very interesting.

He also said Rich wasn't going to be in GotG vol 2 so I doubt it.

Watch the movie and tell me turning the Nova Corps into Paul Blarts wasn't done out of hate.

Well I don't have a persecution complex about Nova, so I probably view it a little differently from you.

I'm so sick of hearing this shit.

Gunn wants Quill to be the only human in his movies. Drax and Mantis are getting new backstories for this very reason but you can't change Rich into an alien or he might as well be a different character. Just because Gunn doesn't want to use Nova, or doesn't like the helmet or whatever, doesn't mean he has a hateboner for him. You guys are paranoid as hell.

Besides Rich has no business being in a GOTG movie anyway. He'd be a pointless, tacked-on addition just to sate the fans. If you really give a shit you should recognize that he needs his own movie.

>implying the Nova Corps haven't always been a bunch of jobbers

They didn't get Nova confused with Ms. Marvel, because what they said is perfectly understandable without getting Nova confused with it. It doesn't matter how many comic book superheroes got their powers from an alien hero, The number of movie superheros that share that origin is pretty slim.

He already included the Nova Corps. Why not have the main Nova be there, or at least mention his fucking name?
It's a ridiculous reason to not include him, and the "I hate he helmet" excuse wreaks of bullshit.
You can't bullshit a bullshitter, and I've lied my way out of a DUI.

Not only that, they were less of jobbers than the comic book Nova corps because they helped the heroes by holding the Aster in place, and ensuring Quill's ship had an entrance, and their planet didn't get destroyed at the end.

>And the actress is 26 .

Fuck! Shes had a tough paper round, poor old Brie