I saw this before watching BvS, then I saw the movie, then I saw the extended edition. Months later...

I saw this before watching BvS, then I saw the movie, then I saw the extended edition. Months later, I'm working through Half in the Bag in order and re-watched the BvS review and I'm stumped. Their complaints are so vapid, smug, and self-satisfied that it comes across as a satire of YouTube movie reviewers rather than a genuine review.

>"They were worried this movie would be too smart for audiences. After seeing it, that was such a fucking joke."

Was it, Jay? Because it seems like it was too smart for you. I don't mean that in some condescending way, either, because BvS isn't some exalted art house film, but like, take their complaints about the kryptonite spear. "Why make a spear instead of bullets or brass knuckles?" Hey, maybe instead of watching the movie fixated on finding joke material, think about what you're seeing. Snyder very explicitly puts things in the film to create echoes from mythology that reverberate through the main characters. It's a spear because Christ wasn't stabbed in the ribs with brass knuckles, you fucking hacks. Honestly. "Why did she throw it in the water?" Why does the Lady of the Lake emerge from the water to present Arthur with Excalibur?

They watch movies. They're not dumb. This stuff shouldn't have flown over their heads, so I'm left in awe at how proud they seem to be of not understanding something this on the nose. In past reviews, they talk about decisions akin to making it a spear and justified it saying "it might not be realistic, but then it wouldn't be cinematic." Well? That little pass they've given to other movies basically dismantles 95% of their problems with BvS.

So, what the fuck was their problem?

youtu.be/VGsrMaxx8N4

The problem is that you have autism

>"Why did she throw it in the water?" Why does the Lady of the Lake emerge from the water to present Arthur with Excalibur?
Very poorly executed then, the spear could have been knocked into the puddle and Lois runs to go find it.

>BvS failed because it was too smart

I love this pasta. Here, have a better shitposting image you can use for next time. Your post would work better if it went more into how everyone was too dull witted to understand the true brilliance that was on display. I feel you really brushed past that too much. Good job hitting the RLM button though.

The proximate reason she throws it in the pool is because the fight had deescalated and it was a good opportunity to put a weapon designed to kill the man she loves out of reach in case the tides turned again. Accidentally knocking it in would've been super stupid.

MoS and BvS: Competent military, football, guns, farming, church, American flags, themes of honor and self-reliance.
MCU: SJWism, quips, forced "diversity".

You can't just switch the politicians like that, it's too obvious. You need better bait.

It goes beyond even that. The film is filled with hints at Bruce's psychology and how he was unconsciously sabotaging his own vendetta.

He forged a weapon that would force him to kill in a way that he's absolutely shown to be incapable of. Bruce can't even bring himself to put a bullet in someone, let alone a spear, and here's an image from his dream that reveals what he unconsciously knows to be the truth about his "enemy." The camera lingers on this image, and it's not just "because Snyder thinks it's cool." St the conclusion of the warehouse fight, it lingers again on Bruce staring at the knife he drove into that merc's shoulder. That's the moment where he realizes what really stopped him from killing Clark.

It's no wonder these guys like to stay big fish in the little pond that pop culture and most comic book movies are. They can't even let go of their own preconceptions long enough to analyze what's right in front of them.

shut the fuck up you autist

They hate it because their mouse overlords told them to hate it.

We're talking about the same "critics" that slavishly approve of every mundane assembly-line Marvel and pretend it's the hot new shit.

Fuck them.

They're Disney employees.

BvS was geniunely too smart for critics. We're talking about a group of people that are completely unable to process visual storytelling. Their understanding of film extends only as far as very basic dialogue extends.

I'm not saying BvS was too brilliant. That's the point. The decisions Snyder made had obvious reasons that any ardent film goer like Mike or Jay should've gleaned without any mental effort at all. Instead, they're baffled at every turn. I'm confused because this isn't an impenetrable movie, so I'm left wondering whether they were too dumb for it or whether their cynicism and pre-established disdain for Snyder blinded them to shit that was obvious. That's a fair critique of RLM, more fair than the one they made of BvS. But hey, just go ahead and meme if you have nothing to contribute here.

Take another example it:

>"Why did Luthor let Batman steal the kryptonite?"

Come on. You're telling me these guys really couldn't figure that out? What's the stock nerd answer to who would win in a fight between Batman and Superman? "Batman, with enough preparation." Luthor obviously made the same calculation.
>Luthor wants Superman dead.
>He knows of a substance that can weaken Superman.
>He's tried getting the government to weaponize that substance to use against Superman, but it refused. He needs somebody outside the system to do it.
>He knows about a guy who is outside the system and is tenacious and clever enough to best Superman if he has the right tools and element of surprise on his side.

So, why did Luthor let Batman steal the kryptonite? Come on. This isn't hard.

>tfw too smart to win

This. I find there are three kinds of people who watched this movie:

>Viewer 1: people who want to criticize the movie shut off their brains and act like nothing makes sense
>Viewer 2: trolls and shitposters who make up contrived metaphorical, mythical explanations for it and only fuel the outrage of viewer 1
>Viewer 3: people who actually watched the movie and understood it

I'm not sure why you think a bunch of clueless critics hating a film is the same as losing an election. Last time I checked, it was BvS being hounded by the media like the Trump campaign, not Marvel.

>When was it decided that superhero movies shouldn't be any fun?
When was it decided that they had to be? The comics they're based on aren't always "fun", either. Why do the movies always have to be homogenized, saccharine cookie-cutter, "feel good" schlock?

I know you're still transitioning into manhood, but it's okay to like something that other people don't and it's okay for other people to dislike something that you do.

You'll understand this someday, my child.

This is a great observation and the sort of thing I would've hoped at least Rich could bring to the discussion.

That's my big disappointment. They're so vocally discontent with how formulaic superhero movies are. Here's a superhero movie that doesn't just break the formula, but utilizes compelling cinematic techniques to tell a visual story. And what was their complaint? "This isn't bright and colorful and goofy like a superhero movie should be."

Hey my man, could you please explain where are the "echoes from mythology" in the studio intervention multiple framed expositional email character setups? Thanks in advance.

>Why does the Lady of the Lake emerge from the water to present Arthur with Excalibur?
Why indeed? Is this some commonly known fact that I'm not aware of?

Just too smart for critics to understand.

But... did Luthor "let" Batman steal the Kryptonite? Doesn't really seem like he did. And he seemed pretty upset when he saw it missing.

>watching the review before watching the movie
why do people do this

First of all, Rich is by far the dumbest of the three. Secondly, they're not being hypocritical since they loved GotG and other Marvel shit movies.

do you think they fixated on the comic potential because they movie was so dull and pretentious that it deserved nothing but derision?

What's more, Lex derives pleasure from excersising power over others. He controls parts of the democratic body. He controls the media. Him turning a once savior of Gotham against Superman is to Lex extremely satisfying given his need to excersise power over others. For him, for Batman to kill Superman would be the ultimate defeat to Superman because his death would be at the hands of someone that could've been his greatest ally. Instead Lex turns him into his arch nemesis, further proving Lex' point of people.

Look at Lex at the rooftop against Superman. Look at the look of pleasure on his face when Superman falls over and he says "and now God bends to my will". Having Batman and Superman fight is the ultimate power display of Lex. And it's also showing how fucking twisted the guy is.

These idiots who make money on criticizing these films are truly a sign of Internet group think culture. Can't wait for Thor to come out and they'll proclaim what a fresh new thing it was and we should all go see it and it's totally not like the 15 prior MCU films they also said were totally different. Fucking idiots.

You assume I'm viewer 3 and not 2, but I'm both. I don't think I'm a shitposter, but you get me. I used "proximate reason" deliberately. Lois knocked it in the poll for a character based reason. The movie situated the spear in the pool to establish a mythic tableau moment later on. The fact that Snyder could achieve the latter through a plausible character-driven sequence of events is a testament to the competency of the film's writing and direction.

Or maybe RLM is right and it's "a fucking mess."

Yes he did. You can clearly see the look of satisfaction on his face when he sees the tape. Not to mention him carefully timing the Senate bombing with the fake letters to Bruce.

>dat autism

What's autistic is carefully nitpicking small details in the film as "makes no sense" when you spend an extreme amount of time looking for those nitpicks yet stop abruptly to think one second more and actually find the answer to that nitpick. All they had to do was extend their autism slightly further and they would've had the answers. But no. Who the fuck am I to doubt these glorified Disney spokespeople.

>muh review of a review of a movie
Why are you so defensive about this shitty movie user? What skin do you have in the game that forces you to make and samefag the fuck out of these threads day after day?
Occam's razor would suggest that maybe there isn't a global conspiracy against DC, and that the director may be a pretentious hack that makes ugly movies general audiences hated.
If you need pages of headcannon to force motivation in a single scene to make sense then the director failed at his job.
Actual film doesn't require that much autistic analysis to make sense.

I can't tell you how happy I was to get some movies that actually encourage thought and discussion, and with blockbuster budgets, no less.

>make movie people hate
>beat Marvel's BvS equivalent with almost 100m lead
Sounds more like a movie whiny liberal bloggers and faggots like you hate.

>being this assblasted about a year old review of a shitty capeshit movie

>one scene doesn't do something
>therefore, the movie doesn't do that thing ever
What are you trying to accomplish with this shit?

I honestly think you're the assblasted person here as you've written in this thread before and you will write over and over again telling OP how assblasted he is by you spending hours of your free time expressing that opinion.

I had no intention of seeing it. A friend dragged me to it. Imagine my surprise when I discovered it wasn't a confusing pile of shit the way I had been led to believe.

It's funny, when Marvel puts a whole ending as a fucking commercial for the sequel (Cap America in Wakanda with Bucky), nobody cares. When BvS has a two minute scene displaying the future players of Justice League, the whole fucking Internet lights up as if shit was on fire.

>All dat supposition
Have you been diagnosed as belonging somewhere on the spectrum? You should probably schedule an appointment, there are treatments available.

>MARTHA
What did he mean by this?

I'm not wrong, am I? You will continue to linger in this thread to proclaim "how autistic" OP is completely blind to the irony of you spending an autistic amount of time and energy expressing that opinion.

>liking any of the candidates

>MoS and BvS: Competent military, football, guns, farming, church, American flags, themes of honor and self-reliance

Saying this while the military did absolutely nothing

>honor and self-reliance
>Relying on the man in blue

>MCU: SJWism, quips, forced "diversity"
Only the comics, The MCU's 'sjwism' is or diversity is side characters while DC has replace several main characters.

>quips
Trump's whole campaign was built on quips lel

And Hillary was shit too.
>inb4 lesser evil .

What the fuck are you even saying anymore? Can your mind stick to one subject without drifting to American 2016 politics? For fucks sake.

Because Marvel isn't pretending to be anything else other than brainless entertainment while the DC wants the viewer to take it seriously with all the "echoes from mythology" and then you get slapped with a writing 101 sin multiple framed email character setups and a big end of the world CGI monster and mid fight quips.

>I'm not wrong, am I?
You're not making any arguments you third world shittier. You're making baseless suppositions about what people "really meant" like you've got some kind of confirmation bias.
But yes, I am going to keep telling you you're an autist until you go get yourself checked out. You're clearly suffering from some kind of mental disability shitskin.

I'm replying to a post about the election you stupid fuck stop confusing me with whatever nigger you have in mind.

This is the first thread I've ever made on Sup Forums. Nothing forced me to do it. I just finished rewatching the review and wanted to talk about it with other movie fans who are familiar with RLM. And I like RLM normally. Is "I just don't understand this!" the new cool way to deride someone? This is teenage level thinking.

Note, I never mentioned DC once. I like a lot of Marvel movies and appreciate that they're doing. I even liked Homecoming for the most part. I just thought BvS got a bad shake from reviewers who should've known better. Maybe I'm the only guy who thought that was odd.

>Actual film doesn't require that much autistic analysis to make sense.
I agree. My entire argument is that BvS DOESN'T require autistic analysis to understand. Its not a confusing mess. You can "get it" without thinking too hard. That's precisely why I'm bewildered at RLM's bewilderment.

This is the MCUck autism at display. Just wait. He's going to post pictures of brown people he found on Twitter. Any second now....

>MARTHA
Up to this day I still do not get why people think Batman didn't kill Superman because their mothers had the same name. If Superman said "mother" or "save my mother" the outcome would've been the same. Fucking brainlets everywhere

>the military did absolutely nothing
Who crashed the Phantom Drive into Zod's ship?

>Relying on the man in blue
How did Jonathan Kent die?

Then why didn't he say that?

Even in the realms of kids films, you can strive so much higher than what the MCU is doing.

Just look at the 90's Disney cartoons. They were for kids yet the stories were engaging enough that even an adult could watch them. I ask you, what self-hating adult could tolerate the current state of the MCU? The jokes are sterile and predictable. The action is mundane. The character interactions and dynamics are barebones and are ever changing by the minute.

When Cap and Iron Manlet are fighting in the airport, nobody in the audience for one fucking second believed one side was going to kill or even hurt anyone from the other side. Yet they still insist on fighting. Why? Because of bad writing dictated by marketing tests that showed they needed something to match the Batman/Superman fights in BvS. No matter how nonsensical it was to the CW story.

So you can go and say how "they're meant to be just fun" yet fun isn't the same as fucking retarded.

>only by reaching out to Bruce and entering his broken mind can superman save this broken warrior

Is that why he punched him a lot very very hard?

>watches the first 30s
The problem is that you treated this youtube channel as a valid movie criticism thing when it was obvious from the start is that the focus of the show is about themselves and movie critiquing only serves as a vehicle for them to create more content about themselves.

I never said it isn't retarded. I said it's brainless entertainment and doesn't pretend to be anything else. The fact that people eat it up is an another subject.
DC howerer is pretending a lot and that's their main problem.

>Who crashed the Phantom Drive into Zod's ship?
Only that, all the other times they are entirely useless.

>How did Jonathan Kent die?
And what did that accomplish?

He punches him in sheer desperation knowing his mother could die that night. But he also stops and eventually begs Batman to go save his mother instead.

Because it adds weight to the scene. Not only does it make Batman see Superman as more than just a threat that needs to be put down, it hits him personally as it reminds him of why he fights crime in the first place. Even my 10 year old daughter understood the significance of that scene.

>You can't fight without wanting to kill
This is what Man of murder and Batkiller does to people.

So you think that Transformers and MCU are on the same level of filmmaking? Glad we agree on something at last.

Well, ignoring the fact that Bay atleast knows how to create spectacle...

Because "Martha" is reminiscent of "Rosebud." But not just that.

The fact that their mothers had the same name isn't why Batman spared Superman. The fact that they had the same name is merely something that catches Bruce off guard. Up to that point, he'd been dwelling on his parents, particularly his mother, as depicted in that dream sequence in the tomb. Hearing a name in an unlikely scenario, seemingly of a person he'd been thinking about, grabbed his attention in a way that made him reflect back on himself.

That process of reflection, not the name itself, is why Batman spared Superman. Thinking about this commonality between the two of them led Batman to think of other commonalities and realize that Superman isn't the monster and threat that he once thought. In fact, they're not so different as Bruce had assumed.

But normally, would you not beg by saying "Save my Mother?"

If you have one thing left to say why would you waste your breath on a name that doesn't mean anything to your assailant?

It's not difficult to understand you pumped up brainlet, if anything it's too simplistic

Why are they throwing lethatl rockets at each other when it's fucking obvious nobody on either side wants those rockets to land? Why the flying fuck are they wasting so much energy attempting to hurt each other when it's obvious no one really wants to hurt the other? Just look how quickly the fighting stops the moment someone gets hurt.

It reminds me of those schoolyard fake fights you had with friends and then someone accidently got a tree branch in his face and everyone stopped to go tell the teachers.

That's the airport fight in Civil War.

>I'm autistic
All i got from this post.

Yes exactly, it's supposed to be that.

Id argue bvs is all of the above. Bvs is a mess but look past its shortcomings and its a vastly nuanced and rewarding piece of work

>people still arguing over this shit
there hasn't been a good DC movie since the dark knight and there hasn't been a good marvel movie since the first iron man. move the fuck on already.

You're right, they don't want to hurt each other. Well done. You succesfully understood the scene.

They want to reach their goals not mindlessly slam sinks over each other's heads.

>Why does he say "Martha" instead of "my mother?"
>Because it adds weight to the scene.
>WELL WHY WOULD SNYDER ADD WEIGHT TO THE SCENE?
And you're calling someone else a brainlet?

Hey what would've happened if say Bucky didn't do a last second dodge of Spider-Man throwing shit at high velocity at them?

If it had landed, then it would've resulted in dire consequences for everyone because at that point, it's fucking obvious Spidey has no intentions of hurting Bucky. Yet he's still throwing all that dangerous shit at him. Does he hope Bucky will dodge that? If so, is it all for show? Why?

>it adds weight to the scene

No? It detracts from it

>talking about movies and movie reviews is autistic
>Sup Forums

They are on the same level of brainless entertainment, yes. And DC is only slightly better really.

You really want that last reply don't you?

They don't really want to hurt each other but are willing to in order to reach their goals.

Because you say so?

Well considering Bucky is a super soldier he probably would have been knocked out rather than suffering grievous injury, which of course is still unfortunate but cannot be helped

Just go play with your toys, mong.

It would be much weighter if Superman was reduced to a childlike state of begging for his Mother ( to be saved )

The fact that he has the prescience to call her by name, something nobody does, but turns out to be incredibly useful in this particular circumstance.....

That's a worse shitposting image because it would make the pasta seem ironic instead of sincere. Do your fucking shitposting homework and come back when you learn the basics.

The kryptonite spear is like, the least of this movie's problems that they stated.

I'd expect kinosseurs to find better arguments then that.

If you don't want to be part of this conversation, you don't have to be. Go to some other thread, or board for that matter if movie discussions trigger you so much.

It's a comedy show with some movie review on the side, same as Cinema Sins. If you don't like to read you should listen to a podcast instead. If you don't like a movie you usually begin to nitpick stupid stuff that you don't like, good reviewers don't do that, they tell you why the movie is bad.

>something nobody does
I call my parents by their first names all the name. Lots of people do.

Because it captures Superman's desperation, and also because he has a fucking boot to his neck. Fucking brainlets, swear to God

But are they really willing to? Look what happens when that black Iron Man gets hurt. The fighting just stops and that black winged guy stops to apologize (even though it technically wasn't even him firing the rocket but whatever).

Also, ask yourself, what kind of superhero is Spider-Man at this point? He gets fucking recruited as a mercenary by Iron Man to partake in a battle against the good guys where he at several times in the fight could've ended up killing them. What fucking superhero is Spider-Man here really?

Imagine how many flaws you can find in Civil War by just spending five minutes thinking over it. This is all fresh to me. I haven't even started digging into this clusterfuck properly. I can go even further if you want me to. Yet nobody of all the hundreds of critics dared point out such a basic flaw...

How many essays have you written about BvS on reddit be honest

Zero. Like I said,

How many essays have you written on film that consists of nothing but autistic ranting because you didn't have the brain cells to connect 1 to 2 to 3?

True autism is hating something when you lack the intelligence to even motivate it. It's the definition of a clueless sheep.

The "Martha" instead of "mother" thing makes perfect sense. Superman has two mothers. He's very aware of this, because the whole reason he's fighting is that he's an alien with a non-human mother too. "Mother" is ambiguous. "Martha" is specifically the human mother, showing that he's siding with the humans.

because these are hardly even movies anymore. if you dig the assembly line at least get on the other side and work that shit, profit off of retards. or continue to be the retard.

>It would be much weighter if Superman was reduced to a childlike state of begging for his Mother ( to be saved )
He's so fucked up that the first thing he blurts out is his mother's name. It's the same shit

Yes the airport scene is bad, but it's like 5 mins not even the climax of the movie.

>Also, ask yourself, what kind of superhero is Spider-Man at this point? He gets fucking recruited as a mercenary by Iron Man to partake in a battle against the good guys where he at several times in the fight could've ended up killing them. What fucking superhero is Spider-Man here really?

He's supposed to be inexperienced and new, most of the attacks he deals are not so lethal to the characters he's fighting.

>implying it isn't already established fact that BvS was the Donald Trump of movies

shitty jpg/10

But how do you really feel

The irony here is that the audience remains at Batman's false perception without growing with him.

I think this explains the review. RLM wanted to hate this movie and expected to hate it, as they said numerous times before seeing it. No surprise, then, that they hated it. It's textbook confirmation bias.
>"What even was Luthor's motivation? He had none."
>spend five minutes describing Luthor's motivation in detail
>"Yeah man, I don't know, he just didn't have a motivation."
This could be perfect satire, but it's reality. I can only explain it as confirmation bias in action. They wanted the movie to be bad, so it had to be bad, so characters had to lack motivation even if that motivation was so obvious that the guys could summarize it without apparently even realizing it.

Or audience is the wrong term to use. Critics would be more accurate. I'm pretty sure the average moviegoer understood more of BvS than the smug stuck-up editor writing for whatever barely competent clickbait site disguising itself as news.

>dumb leftists wants to compare every shit thing to that orange retard.
>Synderfucks actually take it as a compliment.

>It detracts from it
No it doesn't. It was the scene where Batman realizes he fucked up. The scene everyone was already expecting. With the whole "Martha" thing, it makes the scene more meaningful because it reminds you that Batman was still good all along, in such a way that ties in to his origins.