/lang/ Language learning general

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. (feel free to contribuite

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:

Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Other urls found in this thread:

how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6366&PN=0&TPN=1
ncf.idallen.com/english.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Cc_X4HoQoeU&list=PLBZcHkPESuK-2a6SHfP45aJSGp8a3dxwP
polyglotsdiary.com/the-ultimate-list-of-french-resources/
laits.utexas.edu/tex/gr/overview.html
vocaroo.com/i/s0OjMR9cErg1
vocaroo.com/i/s0InbpwLBKEM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Translation Challenge: level hard
>Have I done something for the general interest? Well then I have had my reward. Let this always be present to your mind, and never stop doing such good.

He hecho yo algo para el interés general? Entonces ya he tenido mi recompensa. Deja que esto siempre esté presente en tu mente y nunca dejes de hacer ese tipo de bien.

Trying to work on esperanto and german

Are you an exchange student?

Danke, Herr Zahnpasta.

Habe ich irgendwas für das allgemeine Interesse gemacht? Na dann ich meine Belohnung gehabt habe. Lass das immer in deinem Geist sein und halt nie, solche Gut zu tun

Im not confident with "Lass das immer in deinem Geist sein". Im not very comfortable with the different ways to use lassen.

Canton?

Czy zrobiłem coś dla interesu ogólnego? No, zatem miałem moją nagrodę. Niech to zawsze będzie obecne w twoim umyśle i nigdy nie przestań robić tak dobrze.

ai-je fait quelque chose pour l'intérêt général? Alors, j'ai déjà eu ma récompense. Laisse ceci être toujours mon cadeau pour ton esprit et n'arrête jamais de faire le bien.

>Habe ich irgendwas für das allgemeine Interesse gemacht?
would use getan instead of gemacht here. machen is more for concrete things, tun for abstract ones.
>Na dann ich meine Belohnung gehabt habe
Dann habe ich meine Belohnung schon gehabt.
>Lass das immer in deinem Geist sein
Grammatically fine but sounds awkward. "etwas sein lassen" is a fixed expresseon meaning "Stop/give up/avoid doing something". I'd go for a less literal translation like "Behalte das immer in deinen Gedanken".
>und halt nie, solche Gut zu tun
und höre nie auf, Gutes zu tun. halten, apart from its main meaning "to hold" is only used as "to stop" for vehicles or as the single-word expression "Halt!" meaning "Stop!".

>machen is more for concrete things, tun for abstract ones.
finally some actual guidance on machen vs tun

>Dann habe ich meine Belohnung schon gehabt.
Fuck right, "dass" uses Nebensatz, not "dann"

>und höre nie auf, Gutes zu tun.
How come not "und höre nie *dar*auf, Gutes zu tun"? And also why "Gutes" and not "Gut"?

Dutch try

>Heb ik iets voor het algemaan belang gedaan?
>Nou dan ik heb mijn beloning gehad.
Not sure on word order for the last sentence.
>Laat dit altijd in jouw geest aanwezig zijn

What's a language actually worth learning? I've learned spanish to a high degree, but, the only use I get is shitpopsting and thirsty latinas.. anything for high culture? I was thinking russian, italian, or some meme slavic language.

Either French, German or Russian. Pick your poison.

>High culture
Western European languages.
>French
>Italian
>Dutch
>German
>Scandinavian
>Greek (to get to ancient Greek)

چیزی را برای علاقه عمومی کرده ام؟ پس پاداشم داده شد. همیشه در فکرتان باشد، و هرگز ان چیز ها را نکنید.
Very much unsure about many things here. Also not completely literal translation (eg then my reward has been given)

Yeah that's our resident Leaf in Switzerland

I don't think that guy is learning Esperanto.

I know this is going to sound really gay and weeb as shit but bear with me for a second

I have been a pretty avid anime watcher for almost a decade now and I've really been considering learning Japanese, not because I suck Jap cock and worship Japanese culture but just because the language has become so routine in my life at this point.

I've never learned another language besides English in any meaningful capacity, I am aware pretty much any slant eyed language is very difficult to learn coming from English. Is it even worth trying?

it's really hard and there's a high probability you'll fail, but it can be really fun if you're able to enjoy the small victories
no matter what you do it will take years until you don't feel completely useless, which doesn't mean that you can speak it well

Sup Forums DJT is dead right now, but you can start by reading the guide here

>Be American
>Learn Japanese to watch anime without subs

MY COUNTRY TIS OF THEE

Should be algemeen instead of algemaan.

You could translate "Well," by "Wel," which has the additional benefit of not sounding Hollandish.

You should usually use "je" instead of "jouw", unless you really want to tell someone "let it be present in YOUR mind and not anyone else's mind". The second part of the sentence could be translated as "en hou(d) nooit op met zulk goed(s) te doen", but it sounds just as archaic as it does in English so no one would ever say something like that.

Genel ılgı için bir şey yaptım mı? İyi o zaman ödülümü vardı. Bu her zaman aklında bulansın, ve asla iyi yapmayı bırakma.
Turkish doesn't really have the present perfect so its the same as basic past tense.

>How come not "und höre nie *dar*auf, Gutes zu tun"?
The verb is aufhören, doesn't have anything to do with the preposition darauf.

>And also why "Gutes" and not "Gut"?
It's called a substantiviertes Adjektiv in German. Compare these two sentences.

"Er hat etwas gut gelernt." in this case "gut" is just an adverb that refers to the quality of "hat gelernt", meaning "He studied/learned something well."
"Er hat etwas Gutes gelernt." now here we turned the adjective "gut" into a proper object, translating to "He learned something good."

>What's a language actually worth learning?
damn nigga why you even need this. you're all set.

Bretty good, lad

Few corrections/improvements :

>Alors,
This isn't exactly "wrong", especially in the colloquial language. But at a formal level it would be arguably considered of poor form, and thus something like "Dans ce cas" would perhaps be better. But I'm just saying this for your general information, this would be debatable even between natives, so don't fret over it either way.

>Laisse ceci être toujours
Que ceci puisse toujours être

>et n'arrête jamais de faire le bien.
Not actually "wrong", but not the most accurate translation of the original phrase in my view. I'd go for something like "et n'arrête jamais de faire de telles bonnes choses."

Can a German bro tell me the correct uses of "machen." I've seen it used in so many contexts that I have idea how to use it correctly.

>I've seen it used in so many contexts that I have idea how to use it correctly.
the same with make for me

yeah no, I only learn real meme languages, like Swiss German :^)

to be honest, Japanese grammar is very easy. Vocabulary is harder simply due to the fact that Japanese is completely unrelated to English (or any Indo-European language for that matter), however I still didn't find vocabulary to be the hardest thing to learn (maybe because due to animu, the words aren't completely unfamiliar? idk)
Kanji is gunna be the biggest factor I think. They're not exactly *hard*, but it's tedious to learn them. For reference, I lived in Japan for 10 months and studied 7 new kanji almost every day, drilling the kanji from previous days as well. After that I had somewhere between 400 and 600 kanji comfortably down. That's still only 1/4 of the 2000 "Everyday use" kanji. So not enough to read a newspaper, but I found its enough to comfortably read a decent amount.

tl;dr Japanese is more time-consuming than hard. If you're willing to take your time and make this a long-term project, do it.

>The verb is aufhören
hurr durr of course

>It's called a substantiviertes Adjektiv
hmm, interesting. My textbook basically made substantives a foot note,so it didn't talk about their construction. I'll look into this some more

Thanks for being such a lad, Brudi. Are you learning anything?

could you be a bit more specific? most of the time you'd either tranlate it with "make" or "do"

don't venture too far into the language guys, that's the advice from a dude who tried to learn german and japanese.... if you care about all those small details you'll lose attention span pretty quickly. I know I've been there, just start using it anywhere and you will grasp all those things eventually as the time goes by. I still have a hundred bookmarks saved explaining every little piece of shit that didn't actually help me learn the language but took away my strength. these threads are cancerous

Eat shit, frogposter.

There are so many uses for it it's impossible to list them all. It's the most basic verb after all.

>Are you learning anything?
Serbian, semi-seriously. Been studying it on and off over the past few years. Getting a little more motivated recently since I've got a Balkan trip planned for the summer. Should be good enough already actually. My passive vocabulary is pretty good, I know most of the grammar and I can understand a lot but I don't have any actual experience speaking the language IRL.

Genève / Geneva
In the French speaking part of switzerland
Ultimement j'aimerais me barrer de ce trou à rat mais je suis encore aux étude donc ce sera pour plus tard.

Honestly i've dropped out of german 4 years ago and I regret it a lot. I'm going to start again this year and next two summer I'm going to spend a lot of time in germany.
I'm searching for media in deutsch, my interest are mostly art related. Ill be happy to discover a good german youtuber.

Maybe that seem like a stupid request but it's how I learned english so i'm pretty confident that if I expose myself to enough german content I'll get better.

uhhhh

ai-je me fait quelque chose de mal a la (interest) general? Alors que j'ai eu mon (reward). Lassiez-le etre (present) toujour dans le tete et arretez

Alright I tried, I couldn't figure out how to word the last part of the last sentence. I'm still A1-A2 level french so bear with me

>good german youtuber

was meinte er damit

Anyone here used the Listening-Reading (L-R) method for language learning? It's described here: how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6366&PN=0&TPN=1

bump

thank you for all that you do

Thanks man, didn't even realize I missed a part.

How useful is Duolingo? I can tell that it's nowhere near enough for fluency, but how good is it as a starting point?

Kủqshāo jí mó "People hate what they don't understand" teo da. Is there a better way to say that?

Mi povas helpi vin se vi volas.

it's shit

How so? Does it depend on the language?

Yeah it really depends on the language. Some languages just didn't get the same care as others when being made and lack useful grammar tips.
In general its a great starting point, use it to get the basics down then dive into something else. What language are you thinking of?

I'm currently using it to polish up my French, and I'm starting Irish and Italian.

merci copain

How's your writing? I found that typing/writing can help with speaking.

I feel the same way about not paying attention in French class in high school. One day I'd like to restart into French. But for now since im in Zürich, my priority is German.
As far as german youtubers go, a lot of people recommend the Easy Languages channels, so search Easy German and you'll find it. At the least it's good listening practice.

käk Deutschland braucht seines eigenes Hollywood oder LA

>this is considered peak language learning these days

>absolute beginner trying to learn French
>simple shit like "tres bien" is throwing me off because of the weird growl/purr pronunciation
None of these words are pronounced the way they're spelled, what the fuck

>None of these words are pronounced the way they're spelled
Cute coming from an english speaker.
Don't worry though, French is very consisted with its spelling autism. That means after learning how to pronounce "aux" for example it'll be like that for every single word that has it.

If this is not bait, kill yourself

Consistent*

I know english can be pretty bullshit too, but at least I'm used to it and fluent in it. That's good to know though, at least I don't have to deal with that too.

>None of these words are pronounced the way they're spelled, what the fuck
Here you go
ncf.idallen.com/english.html

it's fine for beginners. do not recommend sticking with it past 50-60%

>at least I'm used to it and fluent in it
Yeah, the absolute beginner stage is the most frustrating for weird bullshit like that. I almost shit the first time I saw a separable verb in German. It gets better as you get used to it though

Where should I start with Italian?

Skim through the videos and look for the how to pronounce the 'R'
>youtube.com/watch?v=Cc_X4HoQoeU&list=PLBZcHkPESuK-2a6SHfP45aJSGp8a3dxwP

t.novice high level French student (i don't remember the scales)

I have a French Phonology book, if anyone wants me to scan that shit and put it on a PDF to post here. Don't know if it'll be useful to anyone, but along with the playlist on top, it could help you guys out.

I'm sure, it's just something I need to work on, it'll get better eventually.
Thanks for the playlist, I'd love to see those scans.

I know I have the book laying around someone, I'll scan as soon as I can.

I'll be lurking if you have any other questions.

The book has 250+ pages kek, I'll do it anyways

Nothing better to do other than meme around

>250+ pages
Jesus, what a champ

As for questions, I guess the biggest one I have is in terms of beginner guide material. I'm using some language program, but I'm always hesitant to use them after all I've heard about shitty ones like duolingo. Classes and things like that aren't available to me right now, so all I have access to is online material.

Well you can always check the OP for a couple resources.

Check out this site that I just found, some of the content is good for getting a grasp/feel for French. like the youtube channels etc.

>polyglotsdiary.com/the-ultimate-list-of-french-resources/

You can also use this sire that my Professor suggested to us. It's used to learn and conjugate verbs. On the top right corner, there will be a drop down menu that says 'Jump', it takes you to each of the subjects like nouns, adjectives, etc. etc.

Scanning book now.

Forgot link to french grammer.

>laits.utexas.edu/tex/gr/overview.html

公共の為に何にかをしたことがあるか?
そうだったら私的な褒美を得たって言う意味だ。
これをあなたの頭に刻み込みんでいいことをするのを決して辞めないでください。
Well at least I tried

That's google translate.

Great, I'll give both of those links a look tonight.

Well, the English 'to make' has more the connotation of to produce, to create or to fabricate something while the German 'machen' has a more extended usage that pretty much includes any form of performing action like 'to do'. The corresponding cognate of 'to do', 'tun', has a kind of infantile ring to it and doesn't get used that often

Romani.

Any method that uses the principle of 'comprehensive input' is alright.

hi /lang/, do any of you know any good language learning exercises that I can do?

Anyone learning a meme Slavic language?

¿He hecho algo para el interés del público? Entonces ya he recibido mi recompensa. Que siempre tengas esto en tu mente, y jamás deja de hacer lo bueno así.

Is Serbian meme enough?

Also I forgot to mention, the book is in complete French.

Croatian reporting in
speaking with a native speaker

This is a German family of farmers. They are eating from a bowl of salad.

> _____ ein Kälbchen.
> Deshalb ist die Schüssel schon fast leer.
> Na, ich glaube wir bekommen dich auch trotzdem _____.

vocaroo.com/i/s0OjMR9cErg1

I've been doing that

what language you doing?

German

>Bei Hansens kommt ein Kälbchen.
>...wir bekommen dich auch trotzdem satt.

Yes. And sounds funny to me. It sounds like "Kao brate idemo v kafanu piće rakiju" :DD.

Anyone here fluent (or just better than me) in Turkish? I'm confused about a song lyric and I'm hoping someone else can help me out.

Taşlar düşüyor dağlardan
Uyandım boş uykulardan
Sen hangi Eylül ben hangi başak

I can translate the first two lines just fine but I don't understand the last one. I can translate it more or less literally but then it's just nonsensical

Bump

bump

Just finished the memelingo course for French.

post trophy

> Was, eben _____ Schule?

vocaroo.com/i/s0InbpwLBKEM

Does /lang/ want to help us study? :3

Nice try Amerimutt

Gj fren

You are now truly fluent.

hon hon hon

sacre bleu!

Now you can actually start learning the language :)

I get what you're hinting at, but I'm uncertain what to do once I'm done with duolingo, because it's been a nice help for vocabulary. Do you think traditional textbooks are the ultima ratio?

el goblino bump