Wow just finished watching this... it changed my outlook on life IMMENSELY

Wow just finished watching this... it changed my outlook on life IMMENSELY.

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say KILL 'EM ALL!

In the book he was a Filipino. I think it's quite sad that an Asian male is not good enough of a character for Hollywood!

reality is often sad

Do you want to know more? Don't watch the "sequel".

Americans would think Tagalog is some sort of smart watch.

That change was first done in an anime adapation though.

nobody wants to follow a flip into war

Not the same when it's not an Argie

why the director changed his country origin? no that i'm mad or something i find it weird of all the countries in the world he choose Argentina

Wtf I love fascism now?

IIRC Juan Rico was an ethnic Philipino that was living in Argentina.

because

so he wasn't from Buenos Aires.

Why is he white? Argentina is a white country? Weird, never knew this.

oh so he made him straight up Argentine because it will made more sense than a flip living here

false propaganda

>just finished watching this
jesus christ i knew Australia was backwater but watching it only NOW??

>living in Argentina
i didn't know that detail
i thought the director watched the anime instead where Juan Rico was pure blonde argie from Barrio Norte

He was, and his mother died when the bugs bombed it.

Tell me what women would love more to see in a movie
a tiny asian "man"
or
A big blackitty black Argentine

in the movie they were all Argentines right? Rico,neil patrick harris, carmen and dizzy,the son of steve busey,the teacher who also is a soldier

but if they made him argentine then why did they make him a murrican

Ok, so in the book Johnnie's dad joins the arny after Buenos Aires is destroyed (page 179 in my version). I think what happened was that Johnnie's dad was on a business trip (the family business-military conflict between Rico and his father is in the book too) and Buenos Aires was destroyed while he was gone, during which his mother was killed.
Part of the point of the movie is that the Terran Federation is a post-race, post-sex society where there are almost zero divisions between people besides politics.

because of all Argentines actors only 3 speak good english casper van dien it's a honorary Argentine just like viggo and mcloving

It gets a little involved. In the book, when Buenos Aires is destroyed, Rico says he wasn't affected at first because it wasn't his home, but then gets torn up later because he learns from his aunt that his mother was visiting there alone at the time of the bug attack. It's a reasonable assumption that Rico was in some way Filipino or at least grew up there, because he mentions Tagalog being his 'native language' right at the very end, but in truth there isn't nearly enough to say anything outright. He never mentions his place of birth or even the names of his relatives, other than his aunt Eleanora and when someone mentions his father being called Emilio.

What's the reaction of my fellows filipinos about juan rico? in all the adaptation's they dropped his philippine origin for x reason

>Part of the point of the movie is that the Terran Federation is a post-race, post-sex society where there are almost zero divisions between people besides politics
ah yea that too, it had a certain Star Trek vibe to it (space travels wer a thing already)
and supposedly humans got near bugs colonies first, that's why the bugs attacked