Who's your favorite character?

Who's your favorite character?

General LotR thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_qE5FSG6K0Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sam obviously.
He´s the true hero.

I remember my peers discussing this back when ROTK ended and still heavily disagree with it, could you guys elaborate why you think so?

gilgalad

>general
lets turn the last bastion of quality/comfort into another cancerous general

Not a recurring general. Just a general thread

Legolas obviously.

>Inb4 normie pick

Theoden, always liked his character arc, from the sad, hopeless ruler to the valiant king riding out with his men to face the enemy head on.

Movie - Sam
Book - Faramir

>OP too dumb to think of a joke, troll, or interesting question to start a LOTR thread
> meh, fuck it. I'll just make a general
you're the reason the strength of men failed

Frodo might have been the carrier of the burden that is the ring, but could he have done what Sam has done if he were in his soles?

I think Sams heroic deeds are more tangible than Frodo´s burden, since the willpower you need to withstand the ring is pretty undefined.

Why does everything need to be a joke

Tom Bombadil

Stryder, obviously.

>Who's your favorite character
Galadriel

>Who's your favorite character?

Book Faramir. Although the contrarian wants it not to be since he's a bit too perfect.

>This is acceptable
>Somehow the bridge Hobbit scene isn't
LOTR autists are pathetic.

Legolas doing that slide in the Two Towers was at least physically possible.

who told you it was acceptable?

elastic action hero legolas is the worst part of both lotr and the hobbit.

>worst

Elves have inhuman balance and grace.

It's less an affront to my intelligence than fucking Tom Bombadil and his fucking shitty bee billy bum bombadoo billy-bom bumbo

>his fucking shitty bee billy bum bombadoo billy-bom bumbo

Rohirrim rider num32

>cum on my face mr frodo

Because Tolkien said so.

Frodo's burden is explained much better in the books. The movies just make him look like a big baby.

>share the load

Fucking gross

I'll fuck everyone in this thread right now

Will we ever see a trilogy on par with Lord of the Rings again? Not just a good set of films that work together, but a crew that get along incredibly well, passion from everyone on and off camera.

Extended cut that isn't garbage like most tend to be, a behind the scene that is god damn six+ hours long.

Will it ever happen again?

Fun fact: They tried that scene with just Wood using his own saliva, but it wasn't thick enough, so Wood went around with a cup and asked the entire film crew to spit into it.

No.

Capeshit has honestly ruined movies forever.

Its a shame that Lord of the Rings didn't launch fantasy the same with Iron Man did with super hero shit.

All we got from Lord of the Rings was a small string if shit tier fairy tales retold to include Helms Deep battles.

They tried, but most of the movies flopped.

Boromir

Gothmog.

Hes a cripple among a civilization which values bodily strength and abhors weakness, yet he rises up to become general in the Dark Lords army. Truly Mordor is the land of opportunity.

>You fool. No man can kill me.
>I am no man
LE STRONG WOMYN XDD EPIC Fantasy flick reddit.

>one of the toughest bad guys in the series killed because of a technicality

This always pissed me off.

It was pretty clever

It was inspired by Macbeth, along with the Ents and the forest eating the Uruk Hai

because life is too serious to take seriously.

Lurtz. Can't find a good pic of him but he was a beast of an Uruk.
Helms Deep might have fallen if he was a field commander during the invasion

The "no man can kill me" part was only sort of a profecy that Glorfindel said. What made him killable was actually the blade that Merry used to stab him in the leg. The blade was made by Numenorean people specially to harm him. So Merry made him killable and Euwyn just finished the job.

>being bothered by this

My FAVE character.... hmm..... That's a ...TOUGH!... one?... huhuhuhu.... probaaabbblllyyyyyygg........ hmm I Do NOT know to be....honest mm..

>tfw Lurtz looked like my middle-school orchestra teacher.

Literally this. Anyone who doesn't think theoden was the goat if lotr is a Fucking pleb

What was his tax policy?

Oh man! this was funny, Altought, I disagre. Tom Bambadil is great because it's misterious, in a way that no one knows what it is.

Faggy Sup Forums reaction aside, this was pretty terrible having the King killed by some rando.

THIS

She's the niece of a king, from an ancient Rohan House that stretches back thousands of years and is ordained by the Valar...

In the books it was some rando and Merry together who killed him. It was Eowyn who just dealt the final blow.

It's tragic when a hero dies to some random, but it's justice when a villain dies to a random.

Also
>eowyn
>random
Arwen pls

And because it was in the book that makes it less terrible? Fuck off, the books are not immune to critisim.

The Hobbit was written by Bilbo, so what we are seeing is his interpretation of how shit went down. It's safe to say that he embellished a bit.

This. Think of it like Legolas nailing Achilles in the heel with that arrow in Troy. After Merry stabs the Witch King/Legolas plugs Achilles, it basically voids their god modes.

I don't understand what your criticism even is. She is an important character with a noble lineage and fate intervened so that Merry and her could defeat him.

Strider.

Whether it was terrible or not is up to you, I'm just saying that it wasn't only a rando who killed the Witch-King, but a main character in Merry as well.

Why did the witch king spend his time taunting some random soldier? Just mace her face instead of gloating.

Got a shitty screen from youtube but the cgi right in this screen when the fellowship begun its hourney looks absolutley terrible.
Wow did this movie age, why didn't they just use a model?

She was a woman.

Holy artifacts batman how the fuck can we tell shit from that image.

LOTR is an attempt at recreating a classical, mythic epic. The good guys are good, the bad guys are cocky and underestimate their enemies.

Are you new to literature or something?

I watched fellowship/two towers last weekend in HD and didn't think any of it looked aged apart from maybe when Gladriel gets tempted by the ring, but that looked bad even at the time

JUST

I just finished watching the trilogy and I hate how much time is spent on retarded action scenes with overblown special effects when the best parts of the films are the parts where they expand on the setting.

Especially when these are mostly found in the expanded edition, like when Boromir points out what Aragon actually is or the Mouth of Sauron.

Instead we get legolas 360 noscoping an oiliphant and fucking temple run in moria.

A:10
V:10

thank you based YIFY

>some 144p youtube screencap from an already cropped and copied video file
>is supposed to represent how the scene looked
I know this is bait but you could have just found a bluray screencap.

>Wow did this movie age, why didn't they just use a model?
They built so many models as it is, and although it was somewhat cost effective, you'd sacrifice much more manpower and time for what amounts to at most a minute of filming, without cutting and editing.

Teamwork is the hero

The Moria scene is top to bottom perfect, lad.

still looks shitty and dated now.

The focus on special effects is fucking pants on head retarded considering the source material.

LOTR isn't really a character piece. Can't think of any characters I particularly liked, but the trilogy is one of my favorites.

This one particular shot, which was a 15 second camera pan you weren't supposed to zoom into, is probably one of the only examples of a dated effect, sure.

You'd be retarded if you said the entire trilogy was dated.

>The focus on special effects is fucking pants on head retarded considering the source material.
What in the fuck does this even mean?

except for when they start fighting and the retarded staircase sequence where they all jump across one by one with the "nobody tosses a dwarf" line.

In a dwarven tomb no less.

>the stsircase scene was retarded
Gen Z is horrible.

That was a very powerful scene. The way it was filmed and the score for it was top notch.

meaning the source material is about the journey and the stories that are told through the characters. This is touched upon in scant few elements of the films, and they do it best in fellowship.

The best scene hands down in all three films is the nazgul raid on bree, which has so little special effects its actually quite amusing.

Oh, nice bait argument.

Yh watching Gimli fall on his ass was totes worth it guys didn't take me out of it at all.

that damn Tolkien and his feminist agenda.

He fell forward actually, since he was pulled by the beard.

> he doesn't think the entire bree sequence is the best thing about LOTR.

Frankly the whole thing went to shit the moment Jackson started fanwanking over elves. No wonder they kept the greyhaven elves sequence out of the theatrical release of fellowship.

>only 3 important females in the entire trilogy
>only 1 actually fights
>muh feminist agenda

not to mention in the books he does a ton of heroic things, like actually try to slash the witch king and stabbing the trolls foot. He also never turns on Sam, just gets separated from him.

Would sauron have still put on the ring if frodo had eaten it and then pooped it out? That's pretty gross.

>doesn't pick the opening Shire scenes.
>doesn't pick the first encounter with a Nazgul on the road.
>doesn't pick the burning of Fangorn.
>doesn't pick the escape from Moria.
>doesn't pick the death of Gandalf.
>doesn't pick the fall of Boromir.
>doesn't pick the Ent March.
>doesn't pick the Smeagol two personalities scene.
>doesn't pick Helm's Deep siege.
>doesn't pick Sam's hero speech.
>doesn't pick Theoden's speech.
>doesn't pick the battle of Minis Tirith.
>doesn't pick the Mumakil charge.
>doesn't pick the last stand at the Black Gate.
>doesn't pick the destruction of the ring.
>doesn't pick the sailing to the Grey Havens.
Right user, that minute long raid on Bree was the best...

I agree with the elf part. They even show you in Fellowship where everyone is trudging through the deep snow and Legolas is walking on top of it

> he doesn't think the entire bree sequence is the best thing about LOTR.
Not a single person is going to fall for this bait, faggot. Come on.

>Forced feminism
No.
The I am no man line was in the books (essentially) and the reason she can kill the witch king is because marry stabs him first with the sword from the Barrow downs which was made with the purpose of killing the witch king, not because Eowyn was a woman. The sword breaks the spells on the wraith and then Eowyn can hurt it with a regular sword.

thatsthejoke.jpg

>By rights we shouldn't even be here!

Saruman. Every one of his speeches is amazing :
>youtube.com/watch?v=_qE5FSG6K0Y

>reminder that peter jackson had the elves show up at helms deep despite the fact that that the trilogy is about man being able to fend for himself without the help of elves
>reminder that peter jackson wanted the final battle in return of the king to be a dual between aragon and sauron in his physical form even though that's impossible without sauron having the ring