So, MTV turned 36 today

So, MTV turned 36 today.

Good time to raise the question how they went from Jackass to Lacy Green and "dear white people" in less than a decade.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YPfDWwYpe30
youtube.com/watch?v=mWfgmuPa4uA
youtube.com/watch?v=S0gJZMx79pA
youtube.com/watch?v=owouynBXC4g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MTV sucked.

They went where the money was
You can't be trendy forever

It's amazing how they went from all music, to mostly music, and then no music.

And the no music transition didn't even take a decade from 2000.

When TRL died, MTV's music orientation died with it. They don't even play music videos in the morning, anymore -- or if they do, it's at 2 AM because I never see them.

The Real World ruined everything.

When was the last time they played music videos on MTV or MTV2?

>Jersey Shore was 8 years ago

God, I'm getting old.

let's just nip it in the bud right away so everyone knows they stopped being the channel for music videos because gen x grew up

MTV2 has been playing lots of music in the evening and at night because the VMA's are coming up.

The network will be 100% cancer once Teen Wolf is over

>went from Jackass to Lacy Green and "dear white people"
The fact that jackass is your starting point lets me know you're a babyfig. MTV was trash long before that douchebag show came on.

>MTV2 is introduced
>the marketing campaign was literally MTV telling people to shut the fuck up about no music videos on MTV because that's what MTV2 was for
>now they don't even show music anymore

>See the latest rejects from the muppet show
>Wag their tits and their dicks
>As they lip-synch on screen
>There's something I don't like
>About a band who always smiles
>Another tax write-off
>For some schmuck who doesn't care
>MTV GET OFF THE AIR!

youtube.com/watch?v=YPfDWwYpe30

related to OP's question

You're a millennial who misses the days of jackass because they were your teen years.

Most gen xers think MTV already fell in the toilet long before that, pic related.

Fucking faggot music they put out now sucks anyways. MTV can't make modern music interesting, deep, art, good, etc.

music videos keep being made even if MTV don't play em... can someone explain this to me? sure they play them online, maybe on the vevo channel thing whatever that is , and ... they have enough views to tell themselves it was a good investment to promote the album, is that it? Did someone picked up the slack when MTV died when it comes at making selections of music videos or we are left to our own devices and luck out on them randomly .

theres a channel I pick up on my antenna in Austin thats literally 24/7 music. They have certain blocks at certain times of day, but usually its a pretty decent mix of old and new, and manages to avoid being the same top 40 songs.
On sunday morning the whole block is devoted to smooth jazz. Its maximum comfy.

They wanted to be about celebrity and it backfired for the long term. The music culture left MTV.

All the hot people left. Maybe a bunch of wannabes showed up. There was mismanagement. They were playing too many rap videos. Its like when they ruined TechTV and G4 trying to get the lowest quality programs.

MTV really didn't even try to be part of music or internet culture in the 00s.

>the channel that helped spawn John Stewart and Adam Sandler
video killed the radio star and MTV helped kill culture

MTV was done by 99'. MTV2 took up the trailblazing music programming towards the turn of the century. Introduce a more widely available and faster internet connection + digital tv and the hyper phenomena of reality tv : music / music videos out. You can almost blame the VMA's for putting a " been there done that " cap on how mainstream gaze consumes and throws away act after act ad nausea.

Music videos have been around before MTV and will be around after their last broadcast. They are integral from promotion/marketing.

>tfw watching MTV Classic

dead kennedies suck tho

>Its like when they ruined TechTV and G4 trying to get the lowest quality programs.
You mean when G4 ruined techtv. While it lasted tech tv was one of the greatest networks ever on cable.

Nazi cucks, fuck off.

youtube killed it. why even bother waiting for the music or video you like when you can just type it in?

>that short lived revival of Beavis & Butthead

honestly the last time I watched MTV

TRL came back i heard. lol are they just playing videos off youtube now?

Prolly

Can't un see

Heh-heh. Beards are cool. Heh-heh.

Good time to raise the question how they went from Jackass to Lacy Green and "dear white people" in less than a decade.

My uncle worked at MTV from day one, he was a high school dropout, had crazy computer skills. Lets just say he left when his friend who was a woman the CEO left, because she was basically fired.

thats all I have to say about that...

MTV GET OFF THE AIR
>And so it was
>Our beloved corporate gods
>Claimed they created rock video
>Allowing it to sink as low in one year
>As commercial TV has in 25
>"It's the new frontier," they say
>It's wide open, anything can happen
>But you've got a lot of nerve
>To call yourself a pioneer
>When you're too god-damn conservative
To take real chances.

>>Our beloved corporate gods
maybe I didnt say it but there is a board of directors BOD, they fired the long time CEO and then my uncle left, it was all over the program scheduling.

Then almost right away it turned into a political network not a tv or music network, it might as well be USSR TV or even worse the BBC.

mtv is only a name, the idea died years ago, they suck

annoying then and he's still annoying as shit on twitch

This.

youtube.com/watch?v=mWfgmuPa4uA

Started the reality trend that ended with trump elected.

I was too young to really understand The State but I watched every episode to talk about and recreate w/ my friends at school.

>I wanna dip my balls in it

Kino

>from Jackass
Can't you start earlier?

Do you have any recent MTV logo/intro/sprite animated shorts? Haven't seen one for a decade now

MTV has always made an effort to the be young, hip, cool, and modern network. Sometimes they actually succeeded. Sometimes they have tried a bit too hard. They've always had their ears to the ground in search of what what's socially modern. But over the last 10 years with the maturation of the internet, the rise of social media especially, they've perhaps gone a bit too far. There's a new social movement every single day and MTV decided to jump on board the SJW train.

I don't know anyone over 22 who watches MTV. Come to think of it I don't know many people who watch TV period except for a few select shows like GoT. MTV's demographic skews very young...young enough to not understand that people are saying these things and possibly PRETENDING to believe them because they want a career in media. It's a job. It's about money. And anyone over 30 who is into the modern social justice movement is definitely in it for money or simply a damn fool.

Yeah, it was and is shit. But, it was cool to watch as a kid in the 80s. I taped lots of videos on VHS back in the day.

whats the channel called?

youtube.com/watch?v=S0gJZMx79pA

last great thing on the MTV

>someone finally reposted my picture

Thanks man

Precious Roy is the best. youtube.com/watch?v=owouynBXC4g

>Total number of videos shown since January 1, 2017: 0

Is this garbage show still on?

Anyone remember this shit? Was my favorite show growing up.

>tfw you realize mtv still exists

Yeah, I love it. Also, Mtv Oddities with The Maxx, The Head and Aeon Flux.

Loved that show. MTV introduced me to adult animation at a young age and I appreciate the network for doing that much at least.

You can find a MEGA archive of old Liquid Television recordings on Kametsu