Why is he so relaxed? Why is he so calm?

why is he so relaxed? Why is he so calm?

How can he stay so stable at war and shooting enemies down? he's different from every other war soldier character who are always angsty/afraid/showing hard emotions

They only pick the very best to become fighter pilots. Even the the standards were quite high. Though as the war went and and there were lots of pilot casualties, the RAF had to shorten the training time and put inexperienced pilots to the air.

He's a good pilot

Because pilots fly at a higher altitude, the lack of oxygen affects their brain making them more calm

Because he is British not some cigar chomping yank

This isn't his first time crashing planes

noice

No one cared who he was

because he's phoning it in.

because he's in charge

collins didn't seem that calm

now is not the time for fear

Now that I think about it, his story contrasts greatly with George's (I think that's his name).

Farrier was the true hero of the film, who saved countless lives. Yet, he ends up captured and without recognition. George dies from a push, is effectively useless, and yet is recognized for at least trying.

Regardless of what the intention of the contrast is, it does seem like it was done on purpose.

Serious answer (though I haven't seen the movie yet) pilots were/are very well trained. Guys who can't handle pressure wash out. Plus there's a certain distance between them and the chaos/carnage that allows them to think more rationally than the guys in the trenches, whether they're being shot at or mowing people down. I've heard of ww2 ground attack pilots coming back from missions and being sick at the thought of what they did, but they keep it together until that point.

lol why would they be sick?

at the movie all I had in mind was "kill german"

I actually wanted to be there and kill as many germans as possible

btw you should see this movie, probably the best we'll have this year, it was a miracle it was done in this time

Real fighter pilots are very calm and calculating people.

Not like maverick rogue pilots who refuse to play by the book and always have the hardass chief breathing down their necks.

>that feel when I learned to fly a plane before I learned to drive.

Nothing like it, lads.

flight simulator?

witnessing/inflicting/being victim to real violence is extremely traumatic for most humans user. Even the best soldiers in ww2 cracked up if they were left in the thick of it too long

You see in ww2 half of the yanks went in drunk as a skunk. British men are naturally more brave. It's in our genes.

This. To give a famous example, Christopher Lee originally trained to be a fighter pilot during WW2, but he had some problems during training and ended up getting kicked out when he accidentally crashed a plane.
At that time Britain was undergoing a crisis, and, if you weren't able to adapt and overcome- the "right stuff" as the Americans called it- then you were replaced with someone who could

The way he effortlessly delivers that "Let's climb up so we come down on the bastards yeh" line was almost comically good and so smooth, had a big ass smile in the theater.

that comes later

Because he's a big guy for you.

He is a large lad.

cringe

>that scene when he's gliding past the beach in silence

ABSOLUTE KINO

why does he wear the mask?

ETERNAL ANGLO

why didn't he ditch his plane in an empty stretch of sea and parachute to safety instead of landing behind enemy lines?

for you

Probably wanted to tell the Germans how many of their friends he shot down for a laugh.

no one cared who he was till he put on the mask

seriously though, was getting caught part of his plan?

of courshe!

OF COURSH!

But in all seriousness, landing in the sea was not that easy. The water was calm when his friend ditched and he still hit the water hard and nearly drowned.

Given the option to between ditching in the sea (and possibly smashing the plane to pieces on impact) or gliding onto a flat beach, you'd probably go for the beach landing.

what im wondering is why he didn't parachute into the water, the skies were clear, and the sea wasn't entirely crowded

a safe landing would've been entirely feasible

Parachutes were very unreliable back then, they were basically used as a very last resort in case it was impossible to land or ditch the plane.

You also had to be quite high up for them to work properly too and he seemed quite low when the engine cut off.

That also crossed my mind. I think that he didn't have the elevation to make a bailout feasible and his plane was too damaged to climb up to a safer altitude.

Not anymore

Spoilers here, but did anybody find it darkly humorous that even though he saved a lot of his fellow Brits but he also killed a bunch indirectly when he downed a German fighter that caused an oil fire which immolated a bunch of the lads? WTF was Nolan going for there? That war is crazy hell?

He's a professional