What comic book series has had characters introduced that absolutely stole the show and become fan favorites more liked...

What comic book series has had characters introduced that absolutely stole the show and become fan favorites more liked than the protagonist?

Pic related for an Sup Forums example. Even games set solely in the buu saga would go and have him as an extra just because of the fan preference.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eBva6udf1VE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thimble Theater

and Fritzi Ritz both had breakout characters take over the strips.

Snoopy was a breakout character from Peanuts that completely replaced the original characters as the protagonist.

Venom, I guess?

Although at this point he has a plethora of his own material with it's own merit and i imagine that 99% of the people for whom he's a favorite weren't introduced to him via his first appearance and might not have even read it at all

Comics are a bit of a unique situation compared to manga because if they do become popular like Trunks, they'll usually get their own series and become a protagonist.

Olive oyl was originally a tall super strong amazonian woman with child bearing hips?

Achewood. Originally the comic was mainly about Teodor, Cornelius, Lyle and Philippe but when the cats were introduced the story gradually began to focus more on them over time.

is this even further proof that saiyan transformations are bullshit?

Power Levels are serious bullshit.

At this point in the continuity sayan transformations are some weirdass multiplier bullshit that doesnt make you stronger than X , it just makes you stronger based on whatever base you are at.
Basically power and skill not being the same thing.
Ssj3 Goku couldnt touch Beerus, Vegeta ssj2 could punch Beerus, (post God breakthrough) base goku seems way stronger than before and can actually sparr it out with beerus.

How has wolverine not been mentioned?

logan is a better example than venom imo, venom never really overtook spider-man popularity but wovlerine surpassed the popularity of xmen.

Captain Haddock is probably the biggest example of this.

Punisher

Well Deadpool is way bigger than Cable right now. Altho he didn't actually steal the show since he didn't become popular in his first appearance, or in any other appearance, in X-Force.

Only among Tin-Tin fans who actually read all of the books, Tin-Tin is still vastly more popular and known as him. Also the villainous proto-Tin-Tin of "Tin-Tin in the land of the Soviets" was way more hardcore than Haddock ever was.

What the fuck is even going on here? Is this official? Are DBZ comics still getting made?

Yes. It's called "Dragon Ball Super"

>Trunks
>more liked than Goku
Pffttt.

I knew about the show but didn't know it had a manga. Are they getting made at the same time? Do they show the same things? Is Toriyama writing/drawing or just someone else aping his style?

I sometimes I forget how much I love Toriyama's artwork. The animated adaptations frequently look like crap but gosh his manga and artwork are nice.

Anyway, to answer OP's question, Harley Quinn. I think she was introduced as just a Joker henchman with not much thought put into her and then got fleshed out and popular over time.

Every single villainous henchman has a story, you know.

IV and The Will stole the show in Saga, I hardly ever see people saying they like Alana or Marko compared to them.

ofcourse its official you bloody fairy.
What is happening is that after buu saga Trunks come back because he needs help in taking out a threat that has murdered most of humanity in his timeline, something that seems to be a ressurected Goku gone insane.

Does evil Goku have the old lady voice?

Its Toryama protegee, Toytaro or whats his name. Toryama oversees it and the manga is being released as a promo for the episodes, they are showing pretty much the same things just with more details in the manga.

The manga however is just promotional material, it doesnt really show the whole stories, like, it will show freeza being ressurected but not the fight with him.

Manga pretty much has extended dialogue further explaining that for instance, Kibito and Kaioshin helped Trunks during his own timeline buu saga and died while he killed babidi and Dabura.

Technically, this would be a Goku gone sane, since the Goku we have is an idiot victim of a head trauma.

Is by someone that has made some DB side stories before, he emulates Toriyama's style quite well. Is the same basic story, but it shows some extra things and adds some information neglected by the anime.

Toyotaro is mimicking Toriyama's style for the manga. Toriyama makes an outline for both, but supervises the manga more closely than the anime. The anime uses some stuff from the manga, but the manga is released after whatever anime episodes and also does things differently from the anime (and almost always better). The series isn't very good, the manga is better, and the current arc is the most interesting it has been

X-Men didn't really have a protagonist though, it was a team book

I agree he absolutely stole the show but he didn't really have someone to steal it from

He sounds sinister as fuck.Its her voice but instead of being high pitched like Goku its deepened.

youtube.com/watch?v=eBva6udf1VE

cyclops says "hi"

Also that he was right.

Keep in mind that the the OP image is Dragonball Super, and in the anime and manga this little scuffle went about very differently.

In the anime, Goku goes SSJ3 just to show Trunks the form, Goku smirks a little, Trunks pisses himself, and Goku slaps Trunk's shit.

But since in the case of Super, the Anime is coming before the manga, they've basically changed a fuck ton of the battles around, so a character in the anime uses a completely different form than he did in the manga.

This has the "canon" faggots running around in circles, because in this case, the anime came before the manga, and is Toriyama's preliminary "vision" of the series.

Doesnt help that the manga doesnt really finish the arcs it shows starting and leaves all that up to the anime.

yeah , cant really get the full story by just reading the manga, its all disconnected and doesnt develop any character at all.
Just a bunch of cool scenes.

deadpool and harley quinn

A huge fan of Toriyama myself, but that manga page wasn't drawn by Toriyama.
Toriyama isn't doing the Super manga.

Man, something really went wrong with her over the course of the comic to shrink her down

The Great Depression was harsh on everyone.

> Not Maidman

He even got a one shot.

The Punisher.

Well it is shounen what do you expect

Whereas the Caged Demonwolf has swallowed entire chapters with dialogue, become a sort of unofficial narrator, and Ninjette's "boyfriend".

isn't it toyble that got hired for the manga?
he stopped with his AF fan manga for super last i heared

trunks looks badass as fuck there

The guy who does the Super manga's name is Toyotara, or something.