The Great X-Men Storytime - Vol. 4: Mutant Massacre (Part 20)

What's up, mah muggas?

Starting early today because I'm bored and left alone with the dog.

PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN:

Don't worry, we will read both Fantastic Four vs. X-Men and X-Men vs. Avengers.

That's pretty funny how she gets hit mid-explanation.

Oh, Longshot.

That temper.

which from what I understand are Claremont vs Marvel to determine Will Magneto Be A Villain

Callisto is like one of those punk kids who draws a pocket knife when they want to threaten someone in old high school flicks.

it's weird how these post-Massacre issues have a melancholy, sad tone that current X-Men doesn't have despite a similar horrible situation they're in

bitch Dazzler has fought Black Bolt.

Yeah, which is why Stern dropped out of XvA, he was yet another writer who wasn't a fan of were Claremont was taking Magneto.

Lots of good writers were/are wrong about that.

The writing is far more believable and nuanced. We are given real reasons to care, and true insight into what the characters are going through. Of course, this is also the first time the X-Men have been in such a low point.

Yep, it's really weird how much of a driving force "not muh" is.

>just finished vol 2 in the archive last night

I'll catch up one day

and it had been planned out for awhile by Claremont (and Nocenti?) which probably helped

I would get it if the stories were bad! but Mag's stuff is one of the best parts of his run!!

I like how the one certain character has always conveniently read "the files" (whether they be the X-Men's, the Avengers', the Justice League's, etc.)

tho actually it makes Xorn a lot better and tragic, Morrison hitting those notes of "big 2 characters are sadly forced into the same roles over and over"

easy exposition!

This was never going to end well.

>Juggernaut fanboys the fuck out

Cape writers can be pretty contentious to current stuff compared to the things they grew up with, especially if the new stuff is changing the status quo too radically from what they're used to. Sad but true. It even happens here! Imagine if Sup Forums was in charge of DC and Marvel.

Whoops.

did the thread ever discuss how Juggernaut and Black Tom were totally gay together?

why's that not canon yet Marvel

Hey, it's been a while since we've seen these two, hasn't it?

>seat belts saved us
Take that one to heart, kids!

Oh hey we Sylvestri now! who spelled his name different?

>I like pigs
A wonderful, magical animal!

No idea. How do you mess up both the first name and the surname?

maybe this guy is why the Image founder spells it like that

>ywn hug Longshot and Psylocke

They were just bros, we know Juggsy like the jugs

Her hair is really pretty in that second to last panel.

How long until the Dazzler push ends? I guess it's good that her character no longer revolves around being mindbroken by show business, but at the same time it's hard to take a former Herald palling around with the X-Men seriously.

>How long until the Dazzler push ends?

I think it ends when she gets pregnant with Shatterstar who is both Longshot's son and father

>The sheep that roam this hillside aren't housebroken
>Neat!
kek

Longshot is the Warlock of Uncanny, I love it

Cain can be bi, i just remember that time he jumped into the sea after Tom because he thought Tom might be dead

>Dark Carnival
Is that a real place like Forbidden Planet?

Yes, they're both pure

This place is getting leveled! This is some Zack Snyder shit right here, lemme tell ya.

you can just use the X movies from what i remember of apocalypse destroying everything

Another little issue we missed. Damn you, observant editors! Why couldn't you be like your 2016 counterparts?!

>RAMBO!

Ah yes, stopping a runaway train. Does it get more superheroy than this?

>those little pieces of falling debris
Cute.

when did (I mean when will) his vocal chords heal?

Longshot's harem

> Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
Classic Doctor Who namedrop

>Does it get more superhero than this?
Smashing meteors and catching falling planes are pretty close

OH SHIT IT'S THE JUGGERNAUT

>Bad touch! BAD TOUCH! STRANGER DANGER!

>SHZAM!
So close!

Or catching a falling damsel/dude in distress!

Rogue is one hell of a drug.

>Alex has to blow his load

>Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads

>It's this asshole again

Just tell him about the Morlock massacre, dude.

>I'm cold
>My feet hurt
>I don't even want to be here

Under Siege is a hell of a story btw

Panel 6 is fantastic

Lorna just can't catch a break, can she?

Cue Lex Luthor's theme from the Superman movie.

I love it when characters get teased like that.

>THE X-MEN MUST DIE!
>Not literally, Longshot

>Oh no, how could I have predicted that my metal-based ability wouldn't really work on a magnekinetic mutant!

Could have been worse.

Original plan was that the Marauders were supposed to KILL her.

When Moore threw his shit fit and Claremont was forced to move the Marauders debut up several issues (they were supposed to debut killing Lorna not the Morlocks), Claremont had to rewrite all of his plans and among other things, lead to Malice retroactively declared a Marauder and possessing Lorna).

(It's also why Maddie and Alex became a couple; with Lorna dead, Alex would find himself drawn to Maddie as a result)

Jesus, that's a bit much, innit Betsy?

Man, poor girl. The only writer who seems to genuinely give a shit about her is PAD.

That's all for today, tomorrow: X-Factor! 'till then!

I'm mad that somehow she never gets "Mags as dad means your evil" plots/baggage that Wanda has to deal with

oh man the San Fran issue coming up is brutal.

did I miss Alex and Lorna finding a Brood in the desert? cause pretty sure that plot point is gone forever

i foudn the tvtropes for claremont in a search for some of the many dropped plots

>Godwin's Law / Those Wacky Nazis: For whatever reasons, Claremont appears fascinated with the Nazis. Nearly every human X-Men villain he wrote is compared to Nazis at some point by sympathetic characters, and not infrequently, they are also objectively either actual Nazi bitter-enders or government conspiracies that like Putting on the Reich. This isn't limited to his X-Men writing, either; his work on Captain America and other titles also shoe-horned in numerous references to Nazis and the Jewish holocaust. (Cap, of course, always had some Nazi villains, but rarely to the extent Claremont did it.)

I don't think tvtropes gets it....

It ends with #251, when she goes through the Seige Perilous.

Claremont wanted her to die in #247 but Silvestri basically had to beg Claremont to save her and pitched the entire storyline where last known copy of Dazzler the movie would be discovered and basically finally get released/make Alison a star.

A plotline that got derailed once Bob Harras took over. Harras hated Dazzler and Longshot's guts and Claremont was forced to abort the arch (Dazzler was supposed to reunite with Forge, Banshee, and Marvel Girl in #263-266 in time for the never published "Mutant Wars" storyline). It took Jim Lee to get Harras to relent and let him give Dazzler/Longshot a happy ending, but even then that went no-where because he slipped in the bit where Dazzler was preggers with Shatterstar, which he did without consulting Fabian Nicieza, who hated it so much that he made Dazzler miscarry off-screen next time she appeared went along with Harras in burying Dazzler for over a decade as far as not using her.

Off panel between this and his next appearance (UXM #253) with a generic healing scene with Amanda Sefton tossed in during #253-254, IIRC, to deal with the plot hole of having Banshee suddenly getting his powers back after Claremont went through so much trouble neutering him