Are the Sonic Archie comics worth getting into in the long run after the Penders lawsuit and reboot?

Are the Sonic Archie comics worth getting into in the long run after the Penders lawsuit and reboot?

Other urls found in this thread:

tssznews.com/2016/08/03/archie-lawsuit-documents-scott-fulop-is-plaintiff-cites-almost-1000-examples-of-alleged-copyright-infingement-in-comics/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They're arguably better since the lawsuit trimmed the fat of worthless ocs

>in the long run

Well there's a new lawsuit on the way. So there may not be a "long run."

We're just coming up to the end, finally, of the Sonic Unleashed storyline, which has been pretty good but has lagged a lot towards the end. Sonic Universe is consistently excellent, though.

But some of them were pretty memorable and entertaining,

Is it Penders again?

Only because current writer made them so.

Although, he's absolutely not bad at it, but for some reason I don't nearly care as much about his OCs.

Using them once in some 4-parter and then bringing them again only year later for another 4-parter doesn't help either.

>Is it Penders again?

No. But he probably instigated it.

tssznews.com/2016/08/03/archie-lawsuit-documents-scott-fulop-is-plaintiff-cites-almost-1000-examples-of-alleged-copyright-infingement-in-comics/

I actually kind doubt Penders is happy about this. If Fulop wins that'll pretty much be the end of Archie and he won't be able to sue them again.

But he can't say that because it'd make him look like a hypocrite.

>Archie stops releasing trade paper backs
>Still does everything in four parts

FOR WHAT PURPOSE?!

squidfu is worth it

The reason they stopped making trade paperbacks is they lacked the funds. I'm sure they plan on collecting those issues when they have the resources to do so and aren't busy imploding and/or recovering from the last implosion.

There's probably some research they did to see how long the turnover rate is and how long kids pay attention to a story and everything, but no doubt it's still all about that trade money.

I think that they're arguably better and worse, but what's worse doesn't have to do with the lawsuit. Editorial mandates really got in the way of things with heavy meddling, and the Unleashed "Saga" was poorly planned so that the arc spent half its time on an unbearably slow burn and then the other half rushed to the point of nonsense. The big plot never got its own focus as it deserved.

>poorly planned so that the arc spent half its time on an unbearably slow burn and then the other half rushed to the point of nonsense

That pretty much describes the Mega Man comic run too.

Just backwards. Seriously, what a terribly planned run. What kind of writer prioritizes the checklist over telling interesting stories?

What checklist?

Each of the game arcs are paced poorly because their structure is based on hitting each boss and each stage and each boss without proper consideration as to how these come together into an effective story.

The end result is Mega Man 2 being insanely rushed while Mega Man 3 is drawn out, both of them feeling like the writer is going down the checklist of "things that happen in this game" while adding a little more to it in order to sustain a story. Nothing that happens has weight beyond the repetitive "CLASSIC MEGA MAN IS DARKER THAN YOU THINK, MUH FREE WILL" because it all happens in an extremely predictable fashion, down to the point that most Robot Masters have the exact same number of PAGES in each arc.

In short, good storytelling took a backseat to accuracy, so the game content was always the least engaging part of the book.

And what little story telling there was tending to be pages of Mega Man saying "I'M SAD" because he had to fight other robots.

Three arcs of that shit was enough.

That's what I meant by "Muh Free Will."

The arc for 1 was fine, but making Wily Alien a two page gag was a fucking terrible way to play out a literal rehash of the previous arc. I just don't understand why the Robot Masters didn't come in groups or all at once in the 2 or 3 arc, especially given the sheer amount of stuff that needed to be covered in the latter.

I mean, even four issues per game wouldn't have been a problem if we didn't have pages dedicated to "HEY THIS IS WHAT THE BOSS'S STAGE IS, ALSO HERE ARE SOME OF THE LEVEL GIMMICKS." Fucking hell, just revisit those locations later in original arcs.

Nigga I think that Ian just wanted to establish the supporting Cast as quickly as possible. How hard would it have been to just have Rock, Roll, and Light around along with with Rosencrants and Guilderstein? They'd have to deal with making even more OC's like the terrorists.

Also, Archie wanted every game adaptation to fit into a neat 4-5 issues to fit into a trade paperback

But there isn't much supporting cast to establish otherwise, and they honestly don't make a whole lot of use from the ones they did get. Some of the Light Bots got a little filler to themselves, but much like Sonic, they'd mostly get introduced and then immediately shelved for years. The most characterization we got for any of the Light bots outside of the main family was Ice Man, and that was in a single issue when they were treading water.

Or they could do what Ariga did and make original stories with the established characters instead of jumping straight to OCs like Xander.

Ehhn. I think it didn't work too well for the Powered Up or MM2 arc, but it worked well enough in the initial arc and was pretty great in the MM3 adaptation.
I'd definitely agree that the series was at its best when not adapting game material, but I wasn't really bothered by the pacing. (Blackout was the best story.)

Wish there was more of her.

anyone got that archie sonic comic guide?

Pretty sad when the Mega Man 2-5 adaptations in Bob & George were more entertaining.

Well the Archie adaptations of 4 and 5 don't exist so that's not much of a fair fight.

user this a blue board.