NIGHTHAWK CANCELLED

And to the surprise of absolutely no-one, Nighthawk has been cancelled, ending at #6.

What you guys think?

the writer did a huge rant on twitter, he doesnt blame anyone but what he said is America is the land of the oppressed

Hyperion is cancelled at 6 too. So was Black Knight. And Queen if Hel. A lot of books without A-listers get cancelled.

>What you guys think?

"Fuck white people" the book.

It could be great if it was subversive, more open-minded, etc.
If it was another book.

Hope every Marvel's SJW bullshit will fail the same way.
90% of their books or something near from it.

Do you even know who Nighthawk is? The book was probably way too even-handed.

Hyperion got cancled? But they were just starting the Superman/Wonder Woman arc.

They should just start doing stories that go straight to paperback for this kind of thing.

Of course a comic that tackles white supremacy in America would get cancelled.

Holy shit why did you get into being mad about comics rather than actually reading comics

America needs white supremacy, or at the very least East-Asian supremacy.

Other races can't build successful nations.

Even DCYou books lasted longer.

Honestly i did not even know Nighthawk had his own book until just now.

That's hot.

>tfw no Brave and the Bold: Dr Spectrum and Boundless ongoing
At least we still have the Squadron Supreme book, a cover I saw for ASM had Spidey getting chased by Spectrum and Hype

The whole issue was hot to be honest
>Start making out and tossing each other around
>putting dents in the ground and the buildings around them
>hear sirens approaching
>"Is that because of us?"
>"Maybe we should go someplace else.."
>Flies off to fuck atop a mountain
>spend the rest of the night on a water tower looking at the night sky
>Thundra tells him she's picked him for her mate
I'm bumbed this got canned, but I liked it enough to pick up the tpb sometime in the future.

Ow

Marvel is definitely stretching themselves too thin, these many titles can't be supported when they're all priced at 3.99. Fucking Morbius lasted longer.

Who?
no seriously, this is probably the most obscure Marvel character I've ever seen

I'm almost certain that these books were intended to end after being able to fill up a single tradeback, if they did well with the first 3-4 issues they'd be called back for more, that just isn't the case with characters from the Squadron. I do like that Marvel is taking the time to give short solo runs for more of their obscure characters though, it actually gives them a chance to become popular. I mean, a fucking Solo book? Last year, if you would have told me Solo was getting a book I would have sent you an email with an audio file of me laughing for three minutes.

While I'm saddened to see this end, I can't deny that I enjoyed what little I got.

Marvel really hates books that don't take place in the greater New York City area.

where the hell is my Night Thrasher book?

>Hyperion cancelled

He's basically Batman.
This particular Nighthawk is an edgy, black, and more than a little racist.

Uh, I mean the art was great but I don't feel the book even delivered on its promise.

But unlike those others, Hyperion was good

Really? I thought it was great, even the OCs didn't bother me at all, the while story wuth the Carnival and Doll was a lot of fun to read. How do you mean it didn't deliver what was promised?

Are we talking about Nighthawk or Hyperion? I'm talking about Nighthawk.

>All-New Hawkeye
>Angela Queen of Hel
>Black Knight
>Contest of Champions
>Guardians of Infinity
>Hercules
>Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D
>Illuminati
>Red Wolf
>Starbrand and Nightmask
>Weirdworld
>Web Warriors
>Howard the Duck
>Hyperion
>Nighthawk

any other ANAD book cancelled before 12 or even 10?

Oh....right, this is a Nighthawk thread. I was talking about Hyperion, disregard my post and carry on fellow user

>Starbrand and Nightmask
>Contest of Champions
Fuck you Marvel

>Tfw Illuminati was on my pull list
Man, that book was fucking great for the short time it was running, the standoff tie ins really drove home how much of a fucked up thing Mayor Hill was doing in Pleasant Hill.

>Contest of Champions
This is literally the only good book in your line-up, and it's only good in a "I can't believe this video game tie-in comic is this fun and doing this work".

Every other book there was either shit, boring, or inexcusably wasted its potential.

Welp can say I'm surprised. Walker and Villalobos seem fine and onto new work which I like.

Gonna get the trade

You know, at least with Not Worthy Thor book coming up, everyone knows it'll be a mini series

Not that much pressure on sales, trade wait comfortably - It's far more ideal when Marvel doesn't give a fuck about any book that doesn't appeal to a Tumblr demographic or a MCU normie tie in.

You're now aware that Carnage and Moon Knight are niche books.

well, americans are pretty racist, but it had nice art and the racist batman was cool and fine beating or murdering other people.

just fuck with the lady owl and the gentrification plot.

>I don't know about the genre's seminal comics

>A lot of books without A-listers get cancelled.
Correct. Marvel books with A-listers get renumbered.

What a pussy.

>fan indignation got Omega Men un-cancelled
>Marvel cancels all these titles

just admit Marvel is a lifeless husk kept afloat by character fags who can't recognize Stockholm syndrome when they're up to their ears in it

Fuck Marvel, that book was great, killer art, fuck em.

I remember when Marvel was going to cancel Superior Foes before it was finished, but fan support saved it until the story was done. Its just that no one liked the cancled books enough to make an effort to save it. I would have liked Larfleeze to continue, but DC cut it off the moment the story arc was finished.

Omega Men got uncancelled due to people in DC saying it should get the 12 issues that were promised, in addition to fans bitching

No doubt that Snyder pushed for it and the possibility of King becoming the Batman writer persuaded Didio and Lee to uncancel it

>>Contest of Champions
>Ewing has to do a shitty video game tie in book
>has fun with it and makes it enjoyable
>uses the opportunity to bring some characters back to life
>despite the last issue being rushed due to cancellation he sets up a possible team book at the end
Marvel doesn't deserve him.

Hawkeye is getting replaced with a Kate Bishop solo, while Clint goes on to be some big shot hero of the people for murdering Bruce Banner.

Wasn't a sequel series for CoC really entry announced though?

>Red Wolf
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on Sup Forums that liked this book

This. Also Guillotine. And Night Nurse.

Contest of Champions was an obvious event book.
While it was fun, the story had to end. As it is, it's a complete story at its own pacing.
A spinoff sequel would be appreciated, though. And comments about how the damn kids hog the name.

Who at Marvel currently could even do a good Night Thrasher book? Ewing's a good writer but I don't feel like he's good for Night Thrasher.

>Contest of Champions
>Hyperion
>Starbrand and Nightmask
Died too soon. CoC was one of the best books Marvel had, and both Hyperion and S/N deserved at least 12 issues.

Possibly A-Force.

Damnit.

Ewing had Contest of Champions planned out for 2 years. Maestro winning was supposed to happen in issue 12, but had to get squished to 6 and Maestro's Battleworld was planned for another 12 issues, but had to get compressed down to 4.

And that shit shows. There's plenty of stuff that Ewing talked about wanting to do in interviews that clearly had to get thrown out. It could have used at least a few more issues to breathe a bit more.

Jesus christ this whole thing is so stupid. Fraction's run wasn't phenomenal or anything but at least it was enjoyable enough. The premise was nice : two persons calling themselves Hawkeye have some mundane adventure. It read like a fine little and self-contained story and it made the book really confy which is what I wanted. Marvel lost me with their shitty events and I dropped so many books because they rail roaded into these. I liked that Hawkeye was his own thing and was basically disregarding everything else. And I didn't read much of Lemire's run but it seemed like a good follow-up and I should get the trades soon.

And yet, it still ended up being pretty enjoyable.

Just shows how talented he is!

No, what happened with Foes was that it was initially planned as a 12-issue series, but the unexpected support got it 5 more issues.

It was never in danger of early cancellation.

>no one liked the cancled books enough to make an effort to save it
user, I tried as hard as I fucking could to keep S/N alive. I wrote letters, I shilled the fuck out of it, I messaged support to all the members of the creative team.

But when a book is getting 9k sales, even if those 9k are the most hardcore fans around, that shit isn't surviving.

>Ewing is stuck on damage control duty with Ultimates until CW 2 is over
At least New Avengers is mostly free of the bull shit.

Because DC actually cared about letting the writers tell a story.

Marvel never had any interest in that book succeeding.

They gave it the cheapest, shittiest artists they could find.

If only that extended to the second half of Prez.

Yes, I am mad as hell.

Maybe if Greg changed his name, he might not have such shitty luck.

Must have been a kapo in his previous life.

No. There's an obvious hook at the end of CoC for an International Avengers-type book, but it wouldn't be the first time Ewing ended a book with an obvious hook for a new one that never materializes.

Might Avengers basically ended with "stay tuned for the Mighty Defenders!" as an obvious way to set up Luke, Jessica, and the rest of their netflix pals being the Defenders, but then Marvel never did anything with that.

It's fucking absurd that Bendis gets to do whatever he wants and everyone has to follow suit, and Ewing is stuck on clean-up duty yet still pumping out some of the best shit they've got.

I though it wasn't cancelled, more like the arc was complete, no?

Like another user said, Marvel doesn't deserve him.

This election has made political satire obsolete

I'm glad this racist shit got cancelled

>"Fuck white people" the book.
Well, yeah, have you never read a JMS Nighthawk book? If anything, the fact that he was happily working with a white detective was out of character.

It was canceled, he knew it was being canceled, so he rushed and wrapped the plot up quickly. It's a credit to his talents that it looks all planned out.

Wait, so is it ending on a massive cliffhanger?

I get the feeling that Night Thrasher will be in Occupy Avengers.

Howard the Duck got cancelled?

Only 4 issues have come out. But can it be wrapped up in 2?

That would make sense.

>Not in Sam Cap which has Rage
I just want him to get the gang back together.

But we never got 616 Whiteface.

>Weisman comes up with enough material for 60 issues and plans for the longhaul, intending on bringing in more elements from New Universe and exploring untapped parts of cosmic marvel while mixing in elements of Spectacular Spider-man
>Marvel barely advertises it, sticks him with a shit artist, and cancels it at 6 followed immediately by both characters entering comic limbo for the foreseeable future
The only solace I can take in this is that Ewing has been introducing more New Universe characters and had a reference to the events of the book in Ultimates, so if Starbrand and Nightmask ever do show up again, it'll likely be by Ewing's pen.

>Angela can't hold a book
Shocking

>Night Thrasher is back
>Rage is back
>Rich is coming back
If they're not building up to a New Warriors return then they've fucked up. They can even use the whole culling of the mutants plot as an excuse to stick Vance into a Major Victory suit.

>Weisman comes up with enough material for 60 issues

Did he forget that it's >current year and not 1989?

Unsurprisingly.
The character just has no name in Marvel.
And the writer was unbelievably shit. Throwing a temper tantrum and writing badly on purpose shit.

To be fair, Queen of Hel was the worst book they were putting out. It was really a truly awful. With a competent writer, it might have been able to squeak its way to 12.

This is the man that plans ~5 seasons out despite ALWAYS getting cancelled after 2.

All I remember about Angela is that she just kinda showed up in GotG at one point, and is like, Thor's half sister? Or something like that, she really just doesn't belong in Marvel and I have no idea how she won a toy contest a while ago.

I pretty desperately want a New Warriors book from Ewing.
Partially because he's such a glorious continuityfag that he'd likely pick up the Yost plots

>she really just doesn't belong in Marvel
Actually, there's a very obvious way to properly integrate her into Marvel, and that was to keep her previous origin of being a demon hunter from heaven. Heaven, hell, demons, all that shit already exists in Marvel. I mean shit, Spawn is just Symbiote + Ghost Rider, and Venom having a hellmark has been a plotpoint for him for the past 4 years.

"Demon-hunting Angel" is something that fits perfectly into pre-existing Marvel lore that is a great, yet continually untapped part of the Marvel universe. Yet instead of just doing that, they decided to make her Thor's long lost half-sister from the secret 10th Realm called Heven where everyone is a mercenary that spends her free time going on space adventures with the Guardians.

How do you fuck that up?

New Warriors and Inhumans are two properties that desperately need someone like Ewing at the helm to make them great again.

Nope, Thor and Loki stumbled their way into Heven and uncovered Angela's origins, leading to a war and Angela's expulsion from her home, which forced her to move in with the Asgardians she was raised to hate.
And yes, she is Thor's older sister.

He needs to stop being so autistic.

Neil Gaiman won him from Todd McFarlane and sold her to Marvel inexchange for Miracleman.

Fucker ruined the Heroclix meta, let him die

>How do you fuck that up?

Two words: Jason Aaron.

>I have no idea how she won a toy contest a while ago.
Because she is hot as fuck user.

I thought that it was an awful idea to begin with.

But Miracleman is on Marvel hands again. How long until he is introduced as parto f the Marvel universe?

Well, you set up a workable backstory, make the character part of a large ongoing plot and then ignore any ties and associated traits with a book so shit it's hard to believe.

>How long until he is introduced as parto f the Marvel universe?
The deal is "not until Gaiman finishes his run." Mind you, the new issues of Gaiman's run were originally supposed to start up months ago, yet they're nowhere to be found.

>9k in sales
>9k x 3.99 is 35910
I've never thought about it before. How much money does it take to make and distribute an issue?

Al Ewing needs to get a Make Marvel Great Again hat.

Mind you, this is from 2012 and is meant to apply to creator-owned books distributed through diamond that don't have the advantage of a high print run minimizing costs through bulk ordering. Marvel would no doubt have the percentages more in their favor.

Even then, it gives you a general basis to work off of.

>>Web Warriors

It deserved to be canceled given the shitshow it became.

The costa one? How bad was it?

I know Costa's weakness is team books.

I think the current rate at Marvel is 100 per page for writing, bout 300 on art, and like 100 for colouring. So in a 20 page book, 10 grand? That's not counting inking, which is probably somewhere between the art and colouring costs, lettering, covers and variants which depending on the artist can cost a fair amount (artists like Cho and Campbell makes most of their money just doing covers for Marvel), whatever editorial cuts may be. Say we're at 15 grand or so at this point although that's really low balling it, it's probably closer to 20 grand.

Add to that printing costs. And now Diamond comes in and adds distribution costs. And the stores take about a 50% cut.

So a book that had a gross of 36k, has more than likely lost Marvel money