Would an overwatch movie work? People say it's like playing a Pixar game...

Would an overwatch movie work? People say it's like playing a Pixar game, but they said the same about Ratchet and Clank and that movie was shit.

Absolutely. Blizzard could make a movie for literally any of their properties, and as long as their animation team is behind it, people would see it.

> Blizzard could make a movie for literally any of their properties
But the warcraft movie-
> as long as their animation team is behind it
oh

They would have to make a plot for it, considering the whole game makes no plot sense outside of the shorts.
Maybe something about a second omnic crisis, with sideplots about individuality focusing on Bastion or Zenyatta not wanting to engage in war.
I mean, we only have two heroes involved with Blackwatch or any other kind of villainous organization, so unless they add more "villain" heroes I can't think of too many other kinds of plot.

The lore is absolute shit though.

Overwatch reminds me a lot of League of Legends, characters are cliche or rip offs. Lore is hastily thrown together into a messy pile rather than a nice sink of different ideas.

I'd watch a Junkrat and Roadhog crime spree movie

>Overwatch reminds me a lot of league of legends
But overwatch is good
>characters are cliche or rip offs
gib examples
>lore is hastily thrown together
It's not a story game quit your whining
>We will never get a "Junkrat and Roadhog steal the crown jewels" movie

Reaper and Widow are Talon
Junkrat and Roadhog are mercs
Hanzo is part of a major crime family
Zarya is starkly anti-Omnic
Symmetra does clandestine work for a shady megacorp

And a lot of the other heroes are neutral or have no actual ties to Overwatch as an organization, there's plenty of room to work with if they need villains.

An Overwatch movie could work but

a)They would basically have to announce they were making it RIGHT NOW. As in like by the end of the year or at least by the end of Spring next year because they have the hype but it won't last unless they can keep it up

b)The Warcraft marketing campaign sucked so they would need to not do that. They would need to do like Deadpool levels of marketing

They wouldn't need marketing if they did A. They can easily ride off the hype of the game.

Also they have to make it animated. The Warcraft movie would've been better if the whole thing was animated.

>It's a movie about Overwatch wanting to protect the crown jewels from Talon (who want it because it contains nuke codes or whatever) and Junkrat and Roadhog steal it while the 2 groups are fighting in the second act right under their noses, movie switches focus on roadhog and junkrat on the road and goes from action movie to action buddy roadtrip comedy

Either that more have Talon try to steal something that overwatch only knows is really important and nothing else then reveal it's data on Neurological reconditioning to help widowmaker be normal again/something that can cure reaper and finally let him die, and that they were both acting out of Talon's jurisdiction

>But overwatch is good
Hot subjective opinions, i'm not much of a fan of either but at least Overwatch is playable.
>gib examples
Original MetalGear cyborg ninja the character
One of the characters is literally pudge because Blizzard will not stop being salty about losing dota. Yes I l know who pudge was based on but they never gave two shits about the character until they lost Dota
>It's not a story game quit your whining
The thread is talking about making a movie you idiot. Those things kind of matter to a movie or else you might as well buckle up for the Tetris and Emoji movie as well.

>gib examples
Of the cliches?
What with the american cowboy who uses texan style speech?
The japanese samurai and archer men who are basically just racist stereotypes?
The britbong OI GUVNA brit girl? Who's also just a scout rip-off from TF2?
The hateful strong russian who's racist towards a certain group of people?
The femme fatale french sniper?
Junkrat and Roadhog who may as well been ripped right out of Mad Max?

I could continue but honestly theres just too much to list thats overused cliches or stolen (rather blatantly in some cases) from other media.

Considering it will be irrelevant in two months time, no.

>salty about losing dota.
Tell me the story user.

Cliches aren't bad. And I wouldn't say they were ripped off, more that people use these cliches frequently (hence why they are cliches.)

I'd kinda prefer a cartoon series...maybe netflix. I could see a movie happening with a lot of cool scenes but failing either because they try to balance too many character plots and beign a confusing convoluted mess, or only focusing on a particular set of characters and fans of the ones not as represented will get pissed.

A Tv/Netflix series would give it proper time to flesh out the verse and the characters as well as have an overarching plot that can involve all of them without feeling condensed.

Look cliches are acceptable its just that literally 80% of this game is cliche.

I honestly cannot figure out which hero to use as an example for who's actually an original idea.

Pharah maybe?
Mei?
Dva kinda but she's become a meme at this point.

I mean, if we're counting "anti-omnic" Torbjorn fits too. In fact, considering the amount of heroes who fought in the first omnic crisis there might be a lot of latent anti-omnic that just doesn't come out in the ingame banter.

those are only stereotypes if you ignore literally everything else about the character.

none of them are incredibly original, but sweet jesus you're reaching hard.

>mod made for Warcraft 3 called Dota.
>Dota is very popular and therefore people load up Wc3 to play it
>Blizzard lazily looks at BattleNet numbers and see Wc3 is popular, they pat themselves on the back for their Warhammer clone
>League of Legends gets made and Valve decides they wanna make a moba too
>Gets in contact with long-time Dota creator/balancer Ice Frog to make Dota 2
>Years go by and before Valve puts out Dota 2 beta
>"Hey wait, I think we own that" mumbles Blizzard, too lazy to actually check because they will never stop resting on their laurels
>Goes to court with Valve
>"H-hey wait, you can't use the Dota name" lies the creators of League of Legends, trying to halt the game out of desperation
>Court case goes longer
>Valve ends up with the rights to make Dota 2 along with the name 'Dota' and the main guy behind it Icefrog
>Riot gets nothing
>Blizzard gets the title 'Defence of the Anchients' which might as well be nothing
>Blizzard gets booty blasted with how much money Dota 2 makes and shoves Pudge into their own new shitty moba called Heroes of the storm.
>Shoves Pudge into Overwatch
And i'm pretty sure he's a Hearthstone card too.

Blizzard would have to team up with someone to make that work. I don't know if Blizzard has done anything cartoon related, but the way I see it they'll pick a main character and have everything revolve around them.

What, you don't like the turret based defensive class who builds said turret by smacking it with his melee a few times, the nuance and strategy of metal conservation completely removed? The character who is a fucking Lord of the Rings dwarf who exists in the same universe as a talking gorilla, giant robots, Ratchet and Clank gun technology, and a woman with inexplicably blue skin?

not him but

DotA aka Defense of the Ancients was a custom fan-made map for Warcraft III that became super popular and basically created the MOBA genre, a lot of the heroes were based on Warcraft lore

Valve hired the team that made it, and had them make Dota 2 which is a standalone game, Blizzard tried legal action but as long as Valve changed all the names and references to Warcraft Blizz couldn't really stop them.

Blizzard later made Heroes of the Storm, their own MOBA game, using characters from all their different franchises... but they can't use any of the characters made originally for DotA because those are all owned by Valve now

Her skin has an explanation. It's blue because her heart rate was slowed- aaaaand that's even dumber than it being unexplained.

Don't forget the Indian Tech Support

Yeah on every biological level that makes no fucking sense. Like you may as well just have her be magic.

problem is blizzard is currently absolute shit when it comes to story making.

Wow. This is silly, I wonder why valve didn't try to rub it in and like release skins that changes the appearances of the heroes into something really similar to warcraft characters.

salty TF2 engi detected

Torb plays very differently than an engi, the similarities are pretty superficial.

Holy shit how did I not realise

Well, the charatcers are all basically pretty much like warcraft characters.

they don't need to, the characters already look similar, just with different names and slightly different backstories

Actually I main sniper but I respect engineers

>Metzen has always been absolute shit when it comes to story making.
Fixed.

What I want to be my headcannon is that when they tried to bring back Reyes, they accidentally brought back some sort of demon or fucked up his personality.

Shit so its existence is just a big fuck you to Blizzard now.

Probably the later.

I'd Enjoy an Overwatch Race around the world.
Some Shadowy Entity Brings together all/most of the heroes.
Some are disqualified,Put in the peanut gallery, or picked for color commentary.
A couple of duos and single heroes race around the world to win the ultimate prize.
Reaper and Widow riding the edge-cycle.
Tracer And Winston driving the Over-Mobile.
Junkrat and Roadhog driving the Aussie Monster machine.
The others.
Plenty of opportunities for action and comedy.

>Shit, I really want to talk about off topic stuff on Sup Forums
>But I don't want to get banned
>"Hay Sup Forums how would an [off topic shit] [movie/cartoon/comic] work?"

Nice meme you got there.

So like that really terrible Tom and Jerry Movie?

But actually funny.

go to

Yeah, Like that or wacky races.
Endings could be hilarious.
>Mei/Zen/Bastion is about to win slow and steady.
>Tracer/D.va gotta of fast.
>Junkrat's last ditch to win effort by using unstable rocket fuel as a boost.
>Reaper is a sore loser "If I can't win, no one can!"

>Mei freezes the shit out of racers behind her.
>Tracer, D.Va and Genji zoom ahead and quickly catch up to her
>Mei builds Ice Wall at her feet, all enemies crash except D.Va, who NERF THIS' the bulk of her vehicle
>Passes by on a tiny motorcycle as Mei gets set on fire

ratchet and clanks movie sucked because it was flanderized

Cliches are bad when you have nothing else to offer.

There were so many times in the film I thought "I should be laughing at the joke, but for some reason I'm not..."

Pre race interviews.
Reaper and Widow.
>My name is not important,All that matters is that we win that prize, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to win. This motorcycle runs on the souls of the damned.
D.va
>Brags on and on about how easy the race is gonna be, car has auto-pilot and is stocked with snacks and drinks.
Tracer and Winston
>We're in it to win it luv, make sure to wear your seatbelts kids cause it's gonna be a crazy ride, buy our merchandise.
>RoadHog and JunkRat
Classic Wrestling Promo but with even more cocaine.

>Would an overwatch movie work?

Only if Mei was the main character

it wouldn't work because all blizzard can do is stealing shit from other companies and cross fingers their drones will eat it like it's the next coming of the christ.

>only if the film was about Mei being tsundere towards junkrat and having the trolliest children imaginable

FTFY

This shit needs to stop.

Mei hates bullies and wants him to look somewhere else. Stop this ship.

>Mei hates bullies

But he's a freedom fighter.

A misunderstood one

Didn't he nuke Australia and turn it into Mad Max? Oh yeah, he's a real hero.

They would get sued, faceless void had a community weapon that looked like the original wc3 one and they were forced to change the model, same with Skeleton King and Obsidian Destroyer

Nah dog he just grew up in nuked australia, Roadhog was more of a key player in the nuking cause "dey took mah land!!!"

Junkrat is just some punk who hates omnics and loves crimes

As long as they get someone else to write it. Because Blizzard is great at everything, but writing and originality.

Reinhardt needs to a secondary character.

Roadhog nuked aussie, and that was unintentional.

Junkrat became a bit bonkers from growing up in slightly irradiated aussie.

Remember that he wanted to go legit and stop his life of crime, but that businessman ruined his chances forever

He's still a bully! And Mei hates bullies!

Who is best overwatch and why is it Benedict ?

Junkrat has basically done nothing wrong as far as we know. He doesn't seem to really want to hurt people for no cause.

>Skeleton King
I will never forgive valve or blizzard for the mess that is wraith king.

even though I haven't played in like 3 years.

>With Roadhog in tow, Junkrat left the Outback, and embarked upon an international crime spree leaving nothing but havoc and bedlam in their wake.[1] They were responsible for a string of robberies, arson,[3] murder,[4] and other crimes stretching from Sydney to King's Row.[3]

It's shown frequently that roadhog does the killing, junkrat only kills when personally threatened. He mostly likes blowing shit up, usually when there are only omnics around.

>junkrat only kills when personally threatened.

Then explain why Junkrats keep killing me.

Nanomachines, son.

If you're talking about the Timebreaker (which is the only item I recall having this issue) that model was stolen from Aion and recoloured. It wasn't a WC3 issue.

was their animation team not behind the warcraft movie?

What's so "Pixar" about either those franchises?

>racist stereotypes
people who say shit like this need to kill themselves.

idk user, both games have quotes from reviewers saying it on the box. Pretty sure normeis only think good CGi and humor comes from pixar.

I honestly have no idea why they chose a non-story type game to convey what was clearly intended to be a story and lore rich concept, it's such a fucking waste

Originally it was supposed to be the MMO "Titan", but they fucked up hard during development. Overwatch is just recycling so they dont waste all the work they already did.

MFW High quality mei art i havent seen before.

More plz

I would wager that a cast of 22 (soon to grow) all whom need time-space to develop, would be better as a tv show, to allow the numerous plots needed to show of all of them

but I would definately watch a movie based on overwatch

An overwatch film could work well, but they need to make sure to flesh out the characters enough so normies know who they are but not too much as to be boring to fans of the game.

Also it needs to be funny while being action packed.

Really both Warcraft and Overwatch need more than a movie. An animated or cgi tv show would work far better for both of them just due to the sheer amount of lore and important characters in each.

Overwatch might be able to pull it off but it really did not work out for Warcraft.

Movie was live action

>wants more Mei
>doesn't make ice puns

Try harder.

I want more A-Mei-Zing art work.

That better?

Junkrat and Roadhog a best

Are those names canon?

Yes, and Junkrat is actually pretty tall, he just hunches over all the time

Canon insofar as those are their nicknames.

Roadhog's Mako and Junkrat's Jamison Fawkes.

Nope ILM, El Ranchito,
Hybride and RodeoFX.

Yeah, Junkrat even has a line where he calls himself "King Jamison Fawkes The First." He asks Roadhog his name and he says "Mako."

As long as you're not a bully, icy no reason not to.

If Mei's really so against bullying, why hasn't anyone ever made an edit with her as the Anti-bully Ranger? Explain that, atheists.

there's no real current plot right now, I feel like something might spring up once it hits it's first anniversary like a short of what really happened the day Reyes and Jack blew up or what Talon's current goal really is.
Right now everyone's just globehopping playing grab ass

>Winston, I think one of these equations is wrong!

I feel like the plot of the movie would just be the GI Joe movie.

Since Overwatch is essentially GI Joe.

>game forces the idea that Mei is cute
Is it bad that makes me dislike her? I hate that shit

Aw, sounds like someone is mad they keep getting ICED

1. Cast is too big
2. Characters are too filled with MEMES to take seriously (especially the villains, of which, there are only really two truly antagonistic ones)
3. How would the plot even work?
4. Blizzard all ready dropped the ball with their Warcraft movie

I dunno. Maybe do a Netflix CG series instead. Give everyone and their barely elaborated on awful backstories a chance to shine.

I mean, if a bunch of fans can do SFM from scratch on their free time, then whoever Blizzard would get to animate their stuff could blaze through the process with a dedicated staff and access to the elaborate CG and in-game models.

Mei is so easy to counter tho. As junkrat just toss out your mine and detonate it mid air to knock each other away so her freeze shit can't touch you.

Mei thinks he's a bully cause he wipes the floor with her.

Is Snowball an Omnic or just a drone?