So, I finally got a chance to see this. What did you all think of it?

So, I finally got a chance to see this. What did you all think of it?

I thought it was a decent action movie. Didn't get a very "Superman" vibe from it, though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VlINHSnUx9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Faora got my dick hard. That's about it.

Do you have a review blog I can follow?

It's a good elseworld story about if superman was raised with fearful oarents, making him a very doubtful Superman. I'm glad it was made but it's not the Superman story i'd want to open up a CMU

This.

That makes sense, yeah. I was really surprised this was the Superman they decided to keep when they did BvS. Gonna watch that this coming weekend. Lots of stuff to do for grad school between now and then, or I'd watch sooner.

Yeah its a good action movie. It wasn't a perfect movie but not every movie is perfect. It certainly didn't help that WB marketed it as the next TDK and we got a shallow action flick instead. I think reception would have been more positive had the movie been marketed correctly.

Defeintly the best of the DCEU.

I didn't like it that much. I thought BvS was really good though.

The only good live-action Superman movie.

I fucking mean it.

It was a fine movie. A tonal shift woulda done it good, as well as saving Zod for a different movie. I'm also not 100% against having Krypton in a movie, but I think the writing didn't really serve it well.
Having a more classical Superman story to start off with would probably have set the DCEU up better. A really dark tone worked well with Batman because he is a dark hero. Superman is supposed to represent the best in humanity and I don't think the movie played to that at all. It was still a decently fun movie to watch, as long as you can put aside any attachment to the actual Superman character.

>Didn't get a very "Superman" vibe from it, though.
youtube.com/watch?v=VlINHSnUx9k

It's far and away the best Dragonball Z movie we will ever get.

It took me two tries to get through it because I fell asleep the first time and I concur with what you say about it not really feeling like a Superman movie, which is sad because Cavill actually has a lot of the charisma the role needs; the interpretation just won't let him make use of it.

At the end of the day though? Man of Steel is one of only three movies that I honestly feel I could've written better myself.

keke
you hate maybe and jar of piss and think they're somehow bad

Not OP but it's a very fair criticism to say that OVERALL, and FOR THE MOST PART, Man of Steel doesn't not have a very Superman feel to it, either comparing it to canon whether we're talking GA to modern, or the 1940s serials, the Fleischer toons, the DCAU or any previous live action interpretation that has come before (and to be fair, a few of those can be said to take liberties).

Son, your jibber jabber doesn't hunt.

The Jar of Piss isn't even in Man of Steel.
And actually I'd keep "Maybe". If I were doing Man of Steel I'd chiefly change the following:

1. Brainiac instead of Zod. Preferably the DCAU version to tie him more to Krypton's roots but this isn't a necessity. If you have Superman's first enemy be a robot you get a nice naturalism versus science conflict that will segue nicely into Lex Luthor's stuff, and you can have Clark "kill" a robot and nobody will complain. Do Zod later, if at all.

And really given the whole "my primary function is to save krypton sex with vaginas does not compute" characterization they gave Zod, he was basically a robot anyway.

2. Have Jonathan die via a heart attack or terminal illness. It's less contrived or forced than a sudden tornado (no air raid sirens in Kansas?) and has all the necessary 'you can't save everyone" hallmarks.

3. Have the world engine (or kandor shrink ray or whatever big world ending device) be destroyed over Metropolis. It's really silly that you have people going "he saved us" and a whole narrative about how Clark is going to bring hope and light, but his big character defining cathartic moment isn't where anyone can see it.

4. Actually show Clark getting found by the Kents. It's a big emotional moment that's missing.

5. Pete Ross and or Lana Lang. Clark needs more ties to humanity especially in his formative years. Lois can't be his first friend. It make him look like he should be posting on /r9k/

6. Show how Clark adopts the secret identity. Man of Steel kept going on about how Clark needs to learn to blend in and if people find out it will change everything but the actual mechanism, the solution through which he blends in with humanity just gets glossed over to make room for "he's kinda hot"

Hell even just ONE of those would've made it a better movie. But go ahead with your reaction faces and dank memes. I know you have nothing else.

I know her body double irl

>Superman is supposed to represent the best in humanity and I don't think the movie played to that at all.
But Superman doesn't actually have to be a perfect person in reality he just has to show the world the best by striving to do his very best thru hardship & sacrifice.

I thought Cavill made a good Superman when he was actually allowed to act like Superman. The scenes where he gave himself over to the government are solid gold. He was sure of himself, confident, powerful yet humble and friendly.

I'm looking forward to MoS2 since Snyder won't be involved

She should have been Wonder Woman

They don't know he's sacrificing anything though.
And seriously why do you guys think "have charisma" or "don't be scared of what ifs" is the same thing as "be perfect"? Why is a character literally named after the concept of an ubermensch having agency so verboten?

>Branaic.
No he would not been a millionth as sympathetic as Zod.
>you can't save everyone
That wasn't the message the film was sending him, it was that sometimes you have to choose not to go something for the greater good.
>isn't where anyone can see it.
Not really fucking relevant. He doesn't do this for glory or to be seen, he does it because it's right.
The saving of 7-8 billion people is his act of hope, it's selflessness, the world doesn't need to see it in detail for it to mean something.
>Lois can't be his first friend. It make him look like he should be posting on /r9k/
That's retarded, it makes great fucking sense and builds their relationship nicely out of mutual trust instead of ackward as fuck early romance in the office space.
I thank GOD they had Lois already know his secret before they worked together.

>They don't know he's sacrificing anything though
It's public knowledge he turned himself over to the military for the trade.
And he had plenty of charisma to me.

>No he would not been a millionth as sympathetic as Zod.
Zod wasn't sympathetic. Like I said, he was a robot in everything but having a metal body; programmed to follow directives and having a meltdown when he couldn't do so.

>That wasn't the message the film was sending him, it was that sometimes you have to choose not to go something for the greater good
That's not a good message. Not when the situation is contrived and the solutions are obvious and consequence free to anyone with two braincells to rub together

>
Not really fucking relevant. He doesn't do this for glory or to be seen, he does it because it's right.
>The saving of 7-8 billion people is his act of hope, it's selflessness, the world doesn't need to see it in detail for it to mean something.

It needs to happen to support the foreshadowing. A chekov's gun needs to be fired.

>
That's retarded, it makes great fucking sense and builds their relationship nicely out of mutual trust instead of ackward as fuck early romance in the office space.
Nothings wrong with that. You've moved the goalposts entirely. You can have this exact same Lois and have her play out EXACTLY the same way without her being the first and only human outside of his parents that Clark connects with on any meaningful level.

>I thank GOD they had Lois already know his secret before they worked together.
I never said this was bad. You're putting words in my mouth. Again, if you're the same guy from above.

It was an OK popcorn summer movie. The whole Lost Man in the Wildness doesn't really make sense for Clark and took up too much time in a summer action movie, and then when they did get to the fights, even though there was an actual break, the Smallville and Metropolis stuff all feels like 1/3 of too long, too loud (similar to Matrix 2/3) that would have worked better (again, for a popcorn movie) spread out.

I'd rank ST and ST - Into Darkness (neither of which are, again real Star Trek movies, but Popcorn SF action movies) as better than MoS on those merits.

So, far from fine.

>The whole Lost Man in the Wildness doesn't really make sense for Clark and took up too much time in a summer action movie
That's actually supposed to be his self discovery Yen Sin stuff but they removed any of the meaning that it had in the source material they pulled it from.

>The whole Lost Man in the Wildness doesn't really make sense for Clark

It makes sense for Superman, Earth's protector, to get to know humanity beyond his small town in the Kansas. One of the best ideas Birthright introduced.

It worked better in Birthright because he we got a fuller sense of his world tour in like 3 panels than we did in the 30 minute of movie devoted to it.

>we will never live in a universe where she gets to be Wonder Woman

She doesn't look like Wonder Woman.

Love the villain. Love it when the villain looks like they're having fun.

Agreed. I like it by itself, as MoS presented it, but Birthright did it better, with Clark meeting someone, his age, with no powers doing more good than he was at the time, inspiring him to step up his game as a hero.

On another note, MoS handled Zod extremely well, and he's a meh character in the comics, so it's amazing how thoroughly BvS fucked up Lex who's comic incarnation's a far better character than Zod, and one of the best antagonists out there. MoS had a level of sincerity that the proceeding, highly reactive, DCEU movies completely lack; it actually felt like Snyder was creating a movie he wanted to make, instead of going through a checklist prescribed by WB (shoehorning in Batman, adding quips to Suicide Squad and Justice League, turning the former into Guardians of the Galaxy-lite). Felt like a movie instead of an ad for a shared universe.

More accurate than the one they decided to go with.

you know in Superman #1, like the original Superman #1 that debuted in 39, had pic related on the FIRST PAGE.

Goddamn I hate idiots like you that think you know comics and characters. The kents never fucking tell him to go out and do superhero shit, they are always protective of him.

Literally the biggest single disappointment of my life. All hyped up on the first trailer, getting back into comics, see it with my Dad (one of my fondest childhood memories is of watching Superman I & II with him) and it stinks.

The exact moment I realised that it wasn't going to get better was with that stupid tornado scene. It was so stupid the whole theatre burst out laughing.

Clark's expression there is pure gold, lol.

Pic related.

It's not 1939 anymore, remember?
I think it's funny how you guys love to pull from the golden age stuff but then disregard it just as quickly when it contradicts anything Snyder does. Where's the consistency?

I have said to people that Man of Steel and Green Lantern got exactly the same things wrong, including having a bland and unmotivated antagonist who screams like a little girl.

>It was so stupid the whole theatre burst out laughing.

I'll pick "things that never happened" for a hundred.

It was a bit of a let down. Bruce Wayne acted very out of character. And the ending was just too fake for my taste.

He let his father die

>but when the time comes you must use it to assist humanity
LOOK AT HOW FEARFUL AND COWARDLY THEY ARE
Fuck off

Superman breaking the sound barrier when he flies and all the DBZ fights were cool to see, but for the most part the whole thing felt off.
Krypton had penis pods and flying monster thingies. That was dumb. Then there was Pa Kent's death, which was insulting for someone who has read Superman For All Seasons and seen Clark Kent save someone he knew from a tornado IN Smallville without anyone getting suspicious of him.
Lack of warmth was a big problem for Superman in this story, which is not Cavill's fault. He could do really well if he wasn't directed wrong.
Really, REALLY hated the CGI tentacle machine thing he fought before Zod.

But she's a woman. That's more than Gadot is.

Payback for horses.

>pic related

>Really, REALLY hated the CGI tentacle machine thing he fought before Zod.
Why?

Sorry user, the tornado scene was just silly. It presented Pa Kent as a very dumb man, who basically died for no reason. If he figured that he could go get the dog in time, then Clark definitely could have got the dog in time. Even if he didn't have super powers, the younger son who was in good shape should have ran after the dog.

That's really my only nit picky plot point though, beyond that I just think the movie is dull as fuck

>me Kent literally tells him to do superhero stuff in the panel you posted

Couldn't even be bothered to read it huh? You just saw that the first word bubble supported your point and then stopped

Calm down guy, it's just my interpretation.

You fucking idiot, his death had NOTHING to do with the dog.
He went instead of Clark, because he wanted Clark to protect Martha & the little girl.

But in the scene, Martha and the little girl are never in danger and Clark does nothing to protect them.

I respectfully put forth the idea that you are the "fucking idiot" good user

If the tornado kept going directly towards the overpass they would have been in a fuck ton of danger and they are more important then the dog do the indestructible body stays with them.

Hmm and you felt the movie didn't need to express this visually in anyway? You preferred a flat scene where no one was in any immediate danger?

A scene where Clark has to save two people instead of saving Pa Kent sounds fine, but that's not what happened. Pa Kent saved a dog and Clark watched from a distance. What a thrilling scene

It looks like Snyderverse copied that shit 1:1 then. Even kid Clark is balding kek

He was shown as a very stubborn man. And they had just had an argument that showed Clark was eager to go out and do whatever he wanted, but perhaps not the best things.
Since he wasn't good with words, Pa Kent showed with his actions what he had been trying to teach him all his life. He sacrificed himself so Clark would keep himself secret. So he would be humble and always put others first before himself.
His actions in MoS and BvS are consistent with this lesson of sacrifice.

Yeah, Pa Kent was fucking stupid. But I still like that version of him. Someone who's completely out of his reach but is completely desperate to do the right thing, trying to raise his atomic bomb of a son.

It's based on this beautiful anime, so I'm fine with it.

I don't hate this interpretation, but I feel that the movie didn't do a great job of fleshing it out

And in the original batman comics Bruce used a gun and regularly killed people like the Punisher.

SHOCKING TRUTH: Characters evolve after their first appearance into the iconic versions that people have enjoyed for decades. You wouldn't judge a TV show based solely on its pilot, and then ignore the 4 seasons that came after it, would you?

Everyone else knows pilots suck. Why don't you?

Citation needed on that early batman used a gun thing

But that's not a good argument, there's nothing wrong with the kent's in the movies aside from the stupid death.

Everything else is pretty great

Nice. Though it really wasn't a major part of his character, and it played more to his pulp roots than him going around executing people

True, but contrast that to the Batman that most people know, who HATES guns. Because guns kill his parents, guns are the weapon of the enemy, etc...

People got up in arms because Batman, in his 'death scene' used a gun with a god killing bullet to stop Darkseid. Because guns had become so anathema to Batman.

Its a good example of how a character can start one way, and end up very very different ot their early appearances.

>Snyderman fights an alien, lots of people die, and he's sad at the end
>Christ imagery everywhere

>CW's Flash dies to save the multiverse
>no heavy-handed Messianic imagery anywhere

I actually quite like it. It has its faults, but from how everyone talks about it, they'd make you believe it was the worse movie ever.
In regards to the destruction, this is a new Superman, who's still getting used to his powers, and intelligent foes he can't just lead away from the city. So of course there's gonna be destruction.
Feel like Superman killing Zod could of been done better, but I still liked the idea behind it.
It's a different Superman, showing how the world would react if an alien with God like powers showed up.

Invalid argument about the pilot. Twin Peaks and Braking Bad pilots were better than most of the shows respectively.

Twin Peaks' pilot was the worst episode of season one.

>breaking bad's pilot is better than face off

Where did I say that? I haven't seen Breaking Bad.

Top tier film that could have been fixed by balancing out Pa Kent and making Superman find another way but NEARLY killing Zod prior. At least contemplate it so that we get Snyder's point about why Superman doesn't kill. Or he could just have read a bunch of ethics books instead of Plato's Republic. Either way could have worked.

BvS was way better.

Glad you don't make movies.

The first 30 minutes were pretty good, but everything went downhill later. The last few scenes were really weak. In general I consider it a meh film, not a bad action movie to watch once, but nothing particularly great. A fine opening to a cinematic universe though.

The ending takes too much time.
I was fed up with fighting and buildings being destroyed before Superman and Zodd start to fight for real.
And Lois finds the vessel for no reason and there are barely more reasons why she follows the military everywhere.
Some images are really nice though.

>Characters evolve after their first appearance
Yeah, it's baller how Snyder evolved the character just as he evolved in various comic ages. From jumping to flying, etc. That was awesome.

But I didn't say that. I said the pilot is better than MOST of the shows for each respective show.

Finales and pilots were written by Gilligan and Lynch and of fucking course any finale is usually better than any plot could ever be, of course most of the filler episodes that are basically time stretchers in BB weren't written by Gilligan and you probably know what happened with how bad Twin Peaks was rushed.

I digress however since the original argument was about how pilots were bad and that user is clearly a fucking retard

Yes characters change over time but that page is pretty accurate to MoS supes. The Ma Kent is changed a bit because her bvs attitude is basically that Clark should be free to do what he wants and has no obligation to actually be this hero that everyone demands he be.

Man of Steel is a better Dragonball movie than Evolution.

Dragonball Evolution is a better Superman movie than Man of Steel.

I don't know. It wasn't a bad movie. I think my internal model for how to portray a good Superman character is still colored by the Christopher Reeve film.

Man of Steel is DBZ and Batman v. Superman is Fist of the North Star.

While not a terrible movie, it was a mistake to build the entire DCEU off this thing

It was a great Martian Manhunter movie, but for some reason they decided to use it as a bad Superman movie instead.

Now you're making me wonder what would have happened if the Kents adopted Martian Manhunter as a baby. Now that would be cool. Is there an Elseworlds about this yet? Might as well make one where Superman lands on Mars (prior to it getting wrecked of course).

WHADIDJASAYTHATNAME??!?