Legion of Super-Heroes

So what the hell plans does DC allegedly have for Rebirth Legion that forbids even cameos in other books?

Is the big twist that Dr. Manhattan is the Time Trapper?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ObpcGNCU944
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Is the big twist that Dr. Manhattan is the Time Trapper?

That would be great and make a lot of sense, but Legion plans are supposed to start playing out sometime next year while Rebirth it supposed to ramp up in like two years. Even if that happens I don't think it explains why they'd be excluded from cameos and all right now.

I think it probably just has to do with not wanting to complicate things until they are established again. It'll probably be Retroboot style but I'm hoping they include some things from the Reboot team at least (not too married to Threeboot though). The Superman stuff being so convoluted is an issue of course, they probably need to have been friends with Superbro but maybe they will give them Superdad instead somehow.

All we know for sure is Saturn Girl is in Metropolis waiting for Superman.

Word is that Jimenez wanted to use something Legion related in Superwoman but got told no which should imply planning.

I think Super Sons getting delayed might have something to do with it (among other dumb theories) but that's crackpot w/ no basis in fact.

>I think it probably just has to do with not wanting to complicate things until they are established again.
I mean, that's fair, especially with the series' history with fucked continuity. I highly doubt the Superman stuff will be an issue though, since even since before Zero Hour, the standard fallback has been to have Mon-El be the legendary figure who colonized space.

As for the setting, the best option would probably be to do a mix and match thing, with elements from all iterations. While I didn't care for Threeboot, it had some interesting ideas that deserve to be explored more(Imra being mute, Tinya being in constant dimensional flux, Nura existing in people's minds, Gim being from a race of giants, etc).

>since even since before Zero Hour, the standard fallback has been to have Mon-El be the legendary figure who colonized space.

While I don't mind the Mon-El switch I feel like that might have been part of the problem with their popularity dipping, not having a stream of Superman characterfags maybe checking out the Legion out of curiosity because it ~matters~ to continuity. There were a couple of crossovers and the stuck in the past arcs but it's not the same.

And I forgot, probably more importantly Johns feels like Superman is important to them so he'll probably give them some kind of Superman.

I'm guessing they'll wait to fix the mess that is the Superman continuity first to estabilish the connection to Superman. Remember Post-Flashpoint is just Pre-Flashpoint but altered by Manhattan. There will be another universe-changing event and Pre-N52 Superman will always had been the Superman of this universe afterall. Retroboot Legion has to remember Superdad as the only Superman.

When I read an interview about Apollo and Midnighter that said Apollo had been out in space doing shit I decided to ship him and Mon-El.

Valor outta nowhere? would be Rad af.

>not having a stream of Superman characterfags maybe checking out the Legion

once again it all goes back to Crisis and Man of Steel fucking over the series. but there is a Superboy again

>All we know for sure is Saturn Girl is in Metropolis waiting for Superman.
Goodness knows what the hell that's about, or what hideous effects all this Manhattan crap is having on the future. That Time Trapper theory is looking better every day.

Also, a note to Gary Frank. Imra is already terrifying enough as it is, she doesn't need your help. Goddamn.

They should stick to what Johns did with Legion of Three Worlds. He organized the different versions of the Legion and gave Superman his story with the original Legion back. No need to complicate things further.

they could be just waiting to give Superman a big hero moment in a crossover to inspire Legion in the future, something he never got in the New 52.

that way you have an organic set up to a new Legion book.

It is nice for Clark to have his friends from the future.

That'd be all well and good, but the Saturn Girl cameo kinda messes with that idea.

Unless poor Imra has to wait in that police station until the main story of Rebirth is over.

The only reason I feel like the fix won't be that simple is because they're wasting so much time. All this intermediate shit is just not great to read. Kara with no cousin, JL not trusting this Superman, etc. Like why do this outsider Superman nonsense at all instead of just cleaning it up right away? Give him history with the existing world and get back to status quo people want like most of the books have already done then build from there. Wally has to remind people he exists but the heavy lifting was done in a single one-shot. Superman shit should have been handled in the death arc completely.

But fuck it, this is a Legion thread. Whatever happens will happen.

I wonder if she means Nu52 Superman or Post-Crisis. Is Superdad out in the open as a hero yet?

The dialogue suggests Superbro but I don't know. The continuity of the Legion of Morrison's run is kind of iffy in itself. The kid flashbacks could have still happened but them as adults was a bad end future that got prevented, I think?

She's from the future she already knows whats going to happen so she can chill in lock up and be smug and Rebirth is supposed to be a two year deal, with the Watchmen stuff happening in 2018 but it 2017 you can have Superman save the day from villain X in a company crossover and spin Legion out of that.

>I wonder if she means Nu52 Superman or Post-Crisis.
Good question. Presumably "their" Superman would be the Post-Crisis one, but we have no inkling of what, if anything, Rebirth Legion is like. Hell she could indeed be looking for Nu52 Supes, and this could be some Hypercrisis shit, or he didn't die, but got stuck in present day Bgztl.

Seriously, the hell is with Gary Frank's faces? Everyone he draws has permanent rapeface.

inb4 Superbro is actually Mon El

i miss the Truth era already

>Both are Blue

DEEPEST LORE

I'd be fine with this actually, but I favor the Kal-L theory for him.

TT is more purple than blue imo

Even better. Really though, the Time Trapper could be goddamned anyone, he/she/it is one of those anomalies that will always exist as some abstract functional component of existence(entropy, specifically).

A renegade Controller, Glorith, Cosmic Boy, and Superboy Prime have all been the Trapper. Dr. Manhattan would fit entirely too well. Hell, I'm surprised Donna Troy hasn't worn the robe yet.

>Ricken will never do the art for a Legion story
Feels bad.

I feel like it's possible she's too slow. Only did a couple of TT issues and some of the details weren't too great.

But with Johns trying to pair up creative teams with books they like I guess it's not too far out of the question. Maybe she could get the variant job since every book has them now.

>variants
That'd be acceptable. Honestly though, as cute as Ricken's art is, I'd be more inclined to pull for Jeff Moy returning.

Will Jenni ever show up in the Flash TV show?

One idea that crossed my mind is that they might use the COIE Supergirl from Convergence and put her with the Legion for shipping purposes and all. But maybe divorcing the main universe Kara from the LoSH in such a way is a bad idea.

I feel like Johns cares a little about her and CW is addicted to adding speedsters so it's plausible.

Please god no.
Donna origin is the worst mess ever. They could "try" to use the Time Trapper to explain it, but unless it is John who write it like he did with Legion of Three World, it will be shit.

>I feel like Johns cares a little about her and CW is addicted to adding speedsters so it's plausible.
If there was ever to be a Legion TV series, having Jenni appear in Flash as a backdoor pilot would be a good way to start.

They are doing Mon-El on Supergirl and the universes will probably merge so that could do it too. And we've seen Clark's ring in the fortress there.

I feel like rebooting LOSH is a ridiculously hard task. If you try to reboot it conventionally it just bombs. I don't see where there's a place in sales for the legion anymore. Maybe there could be a regular annual, or a series or minis.

I don't know why you would want a DC that doesn't make the Legion a priority to do a Legion book.

>tfw I may have to watch Supergirl solely for muh Legion
I feel like such a whore.

I've already accepted this as my fate

that tv series could graphically depict a kara-brainy-laural threesome and i still wouldn't watch it.

ok fine, some tinya-tasmia scissoring might convince me

>not the Rokk Imra Garth OT3
>not Nura and Thom

>not weird sex with Cham

Is there a recommended reading for LOSH or should I just read everything they show up in?

Avoid Threeboot. It's cancer.

>series is just shooter's sex files on TV

>Rokk Imra Garth OT3
Mah nigga. Unlike Trinity-shipping, Founder-shipping is delicious. Lydda can join in too, if she wants. It's the future after all.

>should I just read everything they show up in?
Pretty much. Most of it is at least readable, and even the widely disliked Threeboot isn't completely terrible until Shooter takes over. The latter half of Five Years Later is pretty bad, as is the latter half of Retroboot. Otherwise it's fairly smooth sailing.

You could start from the beginning and marathon through but if you need a little help with some starting points/suggestions (there have been a couple of LoSH torrents around but I don't have a link)

Silver age: Adventure Comics #346
Bronze age: LoSH v2 #283
Five Years Later (you'll want to read it with context of the earlier stuff though): LoSH v4 #1
90s Reboot (first proper reboot): LoSH v4 #0, Legionnaires #0, LoSH v4 #62, Legionnaires #19, LoSH v4 #63, etc (they stop crisscrossing directly after like an arc or two but they'll crossover again at times as well)
DnA run: LoSH v4 #122, Legionnaires #79, LoSH v4 #123, Legionnaires #80 then Legion Lost (you could start with Legion Lost on its own but the context helps)
Threeboot (second proper reboot): v5 #1
Retroboot (sort of an unboot): mainly just the Johns arcs (JLA/JSA Lightning Saga, Superman and the LoSH, Final Crisis Lo3W)
Other cool things: Star Trek crossover, Morrison's Action run, Superboy's Legion Elseworld
Not exactly LoSH but you should read it: L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S.

5YL gets shitty when Giffen leaves. Threeboot gets shitty when Waid and Bedard leave. Retroboot get shitty when Johns leaves.

There's a ton of minis that aren't listed that are ok, Mon-El had an ongoing and was pretty involved in New Krypton, etc. But I assume once you get a taste for things you'll probably read them anyway. I probably forgot something obvious.

Founder-shipping is dreadful. Imagine joining the legion in that environment.

Threeboot is awesome fuck y'all

>Not exactly LoSH but you should read it: L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S.
This. Vril and the gang need to come back, because DC's cosmic game is fucking pitiful right now.

>I probably forgot something obvious.
You may be thinking Invasion, but nobody needs to read Invasion. If you must, skim to the parts that set up L.E.G.I.O.N, cause the event is otherwise dull as hell.

DUDE EAT IT GRANDPA LMAO

Mark pls

Honestly I kind of like parts of Threeboot but it's just inferior thematically.

I feel Threeboot could've worked much better if it were more comedic in tone. The kids vs adults conflict was too silly to take seriously, and yet it was noticeably darker than previous iterations.

Oh, and this happened, and it was really fucking stupid.

Eat it grandpa

That's why it was good in Legion of 3 Worlds, Threeboot Brainy was comedy gold.

Who's up for a short storytime?

I keep trying but i cant get past 5 years latee. Everything is so dark and confusing and the only thing i enjoy is shirnking violet and lightning lass being together everything else is just weird

I'll be there if you do it but I've got nothing to post.

I wasn't really a fan either. I don't think I got too much past the Matter Eater Lad trial in my first attempt, but I doubled back and read the rest eventually.

Alright, here's some random LOSH parodies from different sources.

I got to sun boy dying like 6 months ago and im finding it hard to continue here

>three Brainys in one place
Oh dear. And yeah, Threeboot Brainy does come across as a bit Numbah One here, and it's how he should've been in the first place.

5YL is just depressing. Even in the first half when it was good, it was depressing.

>got told no which should imply planning.

No it just means someone DC cares more about being happy called dibs, doesn't mean anything will happen

Something happened with Kamandi years ago, Morrison called dibs so writers like Busiek got told no and then HE NEVER DID ANYTHNG

Fuck now im reading threeboot brainy in numbah 1s voice. Damnit

>Negative Lass

new waifu alert

Dude Magic Space Rocks

And that's all I've got.

>and then HE NEVER DID ANYTHNG

Well, he made Autumnlands.

I meant Morrison. He never used the character he got DC editorial to keep away from other writers

>fourth panel
Okay, that, is fucking savage. Nice.

would recruit Bagel Boy

Technically he ended up using him in the Multiversity Guidebook, but yea its bullshit how certain characters get tied up by certain writers.

CoughJohnswithCaptainMarvelCough

He did use him in the Multiversity guidebook but that wasn't much

>Cheryl Lad
youtu.be/ObpcGNCU944

So who are your favorite Legionnaires, Sup Forums?

By the way, despite all the jokes about the huge umber of characters, honestly I think that's one of the Legion's main appeals. There's so many that you're bond to get attached to at least a few. It helps that most of their stuff is pretty readable.

I only just started reading through Legion stuff, but right now I'm digging Timber Wolf

I'm fully aware that he comes off as a dime store Wolverine knock-off, but I'm a sucker for loner types

Dreamy

>dime store Wolverine knock-off
He predates Wolverine by a full decade. If anything, it's the other way around.

Me, I love Saturn Girl. Imra is my scary waifu for life.

>He predates Wolverine by a full decade. If anything, it's the other way around.

I kinda figured that might be the case, but I'm reading 80s Legion, so I have no clue when some characters may have joined. Figured it was a possibility he appeared shortly after Wolvie did.

If your favourite is Timber Wolf you honestly don't deserve life.

wow rood

Yeah, the Legion is old school. Adventure Comics #247 came out in 1958. They were part of the era when the raygun gothic style wasn't used ironically.

I will never understand why the hell everyone was giving Nura so much shit during that election. I have to assume it was just Jan's massive butthurt rubbing off on everyone.

She led you to victory against Darkseid, you fucking pothead.

White Witch, Brainy, Shadow Lass, Dream Girl, Karate Kid, Matter-Eater Lad, Projectra, Monstress.

I like a lot of the legionnaires. Imra is my favorite founder.

GET FUCKED WOLF SCUM
SCUM

there is literally nothing wrong with liking Timber Wolf