Rick and Morty S03E03 discussion

let's discuss picklekino. how was it? was it better or worse than the previous two episodes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZxYA6duF-9E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'M PICKLE RICK

Pickle rick scenes were great. Therapy scenes were utter shit. I'm guessing they were written by women.

I thought the last episode was trash too due to all the "lets talk about our feels" shit. That's normally the down side of most episodes to me. I thought they were cutting that shit when they got rid of the dad but I guess not.

Actually a good episode. Enjoyed it. Not being a contrarian fag either

I didn't like this episode much. The therapist scenes were boring as shit and I have no idea what the point of the whole pickle rick shit was other than "lol so zany, he's a pickle lol!". Entire episode didn't seem to have any real purpose other than shoving it down our throats that Rick is bad for his family and Beth has issues.

It was good except for the therapy and mom scenes
But mebe im just edgy xD

Fucking kill yourself and this stupid forced meme

What kind of criticism is that? You have to have the most tunnel vision view i've ever seen. Jumping on the edgy i h8 rick and morty bandwagon. Go back to Plebbit

So much energy for a shitty meme that subtly promotes a show, interesting.

i like how there's a shit load of gore, yet the word fuck is censored

I said it from the start. It was going to be a bad episode, but not a terrible meme worthy episode. Just a generic bad episode. But none of you believed me.

This show actually EXISTS? I thought it was a meme

>What kind of criticism is that?
Honest? I do like R&M, and I quite liked the episode last week. It's just this one that left me going "What? That's it?". I watch the series for Rick and Morty going on Sci-Fi adventures, not to watch a shitty action movie parody interspersed with boring ass psychological quackery. Sorry.

Good animation but seriously there was not a single funny moment

>I have no idea what the point of the whole pickle rick shit was other than "lol so zany, he's a pickle lol!"
You didn't watch the episode and you're just jumping on the "reddit and memey sucks" bandwagon, huh

He did it so he didn't have to go to the retarded family therapy. The pickle was just a random thing Rick picked out to be.

I love how triggered it made all the edgy nihilists who follow Rick and Morty. Hopefully this begins the processing of red-pilling nihilists into rediscovering sincerity.

You misunderstand. That's the in-show justification for it. I don't understand what the point of writing an entire episode about it was. It wasn't really funny, it was just pointless. Ok Rick is a pickle and is beating rats up? Yawn.

It was frkn epic. I just went to McDonald's and bought a ton of their pickles and szechuan sauce TM.

I have (and will) never watch this show, but I must know. What's the deal? Is being a pickle some deep lore or just some lol random thing? Because every show has a random episode. Fuck this show.

>Ok Rick is a pickle and is beating rats up? Yawn.
It's funny because the main complaint that Sup Forums has about the show is that it's no longer about wacky and zany adventures, yet Pickle Rick is probably one of the best ones to come out of this series. It just so happened to be paired with the dumb as shit family therapy storyline.

The entire point of the show is edgy randomness. It's designed for people who never grew out of nihilism.

The only people that like this episode are on Reddit. Maybe you should go back.

Best of the season so far

It's a lame, epik wacky meme xD

i'm just confused as fuck laughing at these threads.

I never watched Rick and Morty because it looked like an absurd stupid show. Not my thing.

Yet there are people attempting to have a serious discussion about it?

>we could have had family therapy on par with the couple's counseling from last season
>nope, retarded drama with a self insert

It's an average stoner comedy that deals with nihilistic themes and attracts a lot of pseuds who hype it up as being "for intellectuals." After a longass hiatus, a promo came out with the "too intelligent" character yelling about how he turned himself into a pickle and Sup Forums turned it into a meme because of how fucking stupid a concept it was.

Cut the family drama bs, Beth is not that interesting, neither is summer or jerry.
The show is called Rick and Morty, show more Rick and Morty.
Morty, as of late, feels like he's not getting any screentime.
I guess some character development is fine, but the show has been stuck in the same topic for the last three episodes and if they are going to explore more "deep" or consenquential things, those things should be more compelling than boring soapbox drama, or at least should be explored in more interesting ways than family counseling (like they did last episode wich was still not good)
It's incredible they managed to turn a show about a mad scientist and his autistic grandson into a typical sitcom, seriously just look at all the wacky shit the family has been through and compare it to what they are facing now.
All the episode should have been pickle rick desu.

>Yet there are people attempting to have a serious discussion about it?
Yeah, they're called "Redditors."

>fiction depicting a man turning himself into a pickle with science and then using every day objects to manufacture high tech weaponry is not science fiction

Also, if you didn't realize it by now, there has been a consistent character arc of both beth and rick as broken people. Like it or not, there is going to be more of this, just as there already was.

I would say it's better than episode 2 but 2 had the arm plot so I'm conflicted. I guess it's about equal. 1 is probably the strongest episode this season but that's not saying too much. Season 3 hasn't had an "amazing" episode yet. Nothing as bad as some of S2's episodes, just decent.

Wait no I'm sorry that had too much nuance, uhh REDDIT WOMEN WRITERS REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT.

I'm pretty sure this episode was the writers turning on the fanbase. The fanbase mostly identifies as omg-i-love-science 2smart4u nihilists, and therefore idolise Rick. This episode shat all over that mindset for not being enlightened at all, just really another immature way of running from your feelings and responsiblities.

I thought it was pretty good, but would have loved more PICKLE RICK scenes.

This being said I love the shit surrounding this show and this episode.

Better than episode 2, Probably a 8~9/10. Episode 1 this season was the single best episode of the series.

8~9/10 is way too generous. The therapy session was shitty, especially when the writer self-inserted to break down Rick's character and destroy him. 5/10

this whole thing reminds me of this

youtube.com/watch?v=ZxYA6duF-9E

No, it just confirmed what I already knew... diversity hires lower the bar. Really fucking pissed to see one of my favorite shows sacrificed on that altar.

Pickles are fucking gross. I'm fine with cucumbers, but something about the smell and sliminess of a pickle is disgusting.

Weird.

I thought the episode was shit due to the pickle rick retarded edgy violence ala late era family guy.

The part with the therapist blowing their mom out of the water was great. Summer and Morty looking mortified in the back might mean they're both realizing Rick and Beth are nuts.

The episode was still unfunny as shit, though.

You'll grow out of nihilism one day.

>You'll grow out of nihilism one day.

That may be true, but the show will never grow out of being shit now.

Only smirked once at the end scene with Jaguar.

>Trying this hard to force the OMG MISOGYNISTS HATE R&M CUZ OF WOMIN narrative

Can't you just write some more 10 REASONS YOU'LL DIE ALONE (9 WILL SURPRISE YOUR CATS) articles instead?

Trough the first 3 episodes the writers are raising the stakes physically and emotionally this season. In episode 1 they established the true extent of Rick's powers, and in the next 2 they've reminded the viewer of the extent to which he manipulates his family.

Therapist's speech at the end reminded me of the Sopranos, the emotional plot moving forward as the therapist character is used to outline the writer's vision of their progress so far so it can be built upon more effectively. And also the character's responses to hearing their own flaws is of course very revealing.

Fuck you, I'm not a nihilist you fucking memer, I just thought the show was funny as fuck in Season 1 and Season 2 (to a lesser extent). The past 2 episodes have both been hot garbage.

I smirked when Morty glared at pickle rick before the intro.

The show could've been a lot better if "pickle rick" was a throwaway gag at the beginning. Hell, even the pickle rick dildo gag that Sup Forums kept trying to force meme would've been better.

FUCK OFF. IF YOU WANT EMOTIONAL STAKES WATCH A DIFFERENT DAMN SHOW. I DON'T WATCH THE DAMN SHOW FOR EMOTIONAL STAKES. I want more shit like total rickall.

Rick and Morty died at the end of S03E01.

This, I'm really getting fucking tired of this family drama.

it was totally BASED

i would have enjoyed it if the entire episode was pickle rick trying to be the funniest fucking meme in the world and everyone just ignoring it

easily the worst episode or in the top 5 worst episodes
I didn't crack a smile or find anything remotely funny or thought provoking

Rick and Morty has actual good writers, and good writers understand that literally EVERY story needs emotional stakes. Otherwise what is the show happening for?

If Rick were just an omnipotent scientist who truly had no love for his family at all (as he often claims) then why would anybody have any reason to care about his adventures? The Smith family's characters and relationships with each other have been very carefully built from the very first episode. Your favorite episode, 'Total Rickall,' if a prime example of it, a bottle episode used to deepen the audience's knowledge of the Smith family and their history with each other.

new sincerity is cancer
david foster wallace was a retard

+ there's nothing sincere about fucking cartoon characters teaching you life lessons. it's condescending, embarrassing and obnoxious

this!!!

That's pretty good user. So many things could've been better. How did the show get SO bad SO quickly. The past 2 episodes are the worst two of the entire series. Not looking good.

Legimately unfunny garbage episode, show has jumped the shark, I've seen Family Guy episodes better than this.

Rick and Morty has only had one bad episode.
Prove me wrong

A more educated shitpost than most.

DFW was the saviour of Western society. You just don't know it yet.

That's also an example of how to do it creatively rather than a condescending counseling scene.

The therapy scenes were unironically bad
nobody watches rick and morty for that type of thing

I'm getting real tired of these long winded monologues that don't have jokes.

Okay, fair. What I mean is I liked it when the show used to, you know, SHOW, not tell. Like in Season 1 episode 3 or 4 where they were trying to escape the simulation(s), and they started goofily playing with the crystal processors for a good 10 seconds out of nowhere. Or sleepy Gary dying and jerry being devastated. And it was funny at the same time.

And in total rickall, even the emotional stakes were funny. "If you see any zany or wacky characters pop up, they're a parasite! ... Thanks Mr. Poopybutthole, I always could count on you!"

I've seen Cleveland show episodes better than what i just saw

It was alright desu

>I'm tired of getting redpilled

I'm kind of glad the therapist ended up BTFOing rick

I'm sick of le logical science man is le above everything and everyone because scientific logic

Pickle Rick was trash as well.

Another episode with no jokes. What the FUCK is the writing teams problem?

You sound a lot like Rick and Beth who were completely BTFO this episode

>If Rick were just an omnipotent scientist who truly had no love for his family at all (as he often claims) then why would anybody have any reason to care about his adventures?

If you believe this you should not watch the show given that it's established he traded his real family for surrogates and considers them expendable.

It's also established multiple times Morty is a stooge and camouflage device, more than a person.

These things are deliberately inserted as counterpoints to the usual feel good narratives employed to tug at your heartstrings for insensitive jackass characters (ex. Homer, Peter Griffin). It's an Adam Sandler ploy as well, to fool you into caring and thinking the movie has a heart.

The fact that you would turn this, one of the clever moves in the show, around and assert the opposite as true, just shows they're right to aim square at the lowest common denominator for season 3.

it's black humor you dip

True, I can understand objecting to it. But one of Dan Harmon's trademarks has always been getting meta with the idea that his characters are on a TV show. Therapy scene was a very Harmon scene, where the characters just straight up had all their bullshit just calmly laid laid out to them and the humour/development comes from the reactions. Bojack is another show that does something like this.

Explain

>Durr forty seconds of some female self insert telling the audience what they already know about Rick or Beth is redpilled

Is he gonna be ok, bros?

The fact that social media is losing their minds over how much people liked his episode, gives me pause at how far normies will go to lie to themselves

People are saying this episode deserves and emmy.

>humor
>there's no jokes being told
makes me think

Therapy and family drama has ALWAYS been the shittiest part of rick and morty.

Lawnmower Dog
Anatomy Park
Raising Gazorpazorp
Something Ricked This Way Comes
Mortynight Run
Auto Erotic Assimilation
Get Schwifty
Big Trouble in Little Sanchez
Interdimensional Cable II
The Wedding Squanchers
Rickmancing the Stone
Pickle Rick

>Durr

how long before we get a video game of this episode

>Lawnmower Dog
Stopped reading there. Fuck off.

'Therapy sessions' in shows in general are ass. Just lazy attempts at exploring characters.

pickle rick the game

Would be nice if they made Jaguar Rick's new friend like Birdperson or that cat (can't remember his name) was.

You have some good points but I think you're ignoring the obvious work at developing this Rick C-137's character. We've seen him sacrifice his life for Morty and bond with Summer. He's clearly not the same man he was when he abandoned the Cronenberg world, which was very early in the shows run.

The writers do take pains to remind us that he is selfish, manipulative, and sometimes just cruel, petty, and greedy. E1 this season bright back cronenbergs to remind us of this, and E2 and E3 used his emotional manipulation of the Smiths as a major theme.

can someone give me a meta explanation of why absolutely everyone is talking about this shit

it was lazily written

there's a reason it was so early in the season

Why is everyone still talking about BvS
it's that bad that people need to dissect it

>People like something that I don't like
>"They're just lying to themselves, it's a fact that it sucks and that I'm right!"
Makes me pickle

much enjoyed the action. was very satisfying

Read Infinite Jest and DFW's essays.

This show started as drunk improv jibberish and devolved into an amateur fat bitch diversity hire writing "therapy"

adult swim shilled a lot of money out to market this episode

Denial much?

don't read infinite jest it's garbage

he has some good essays and articles though

>Raising Gazorpazorp

That is a top tier episode you're trashing

denial of what? this shit has been plastered all over the internet