How many different accents/dialects of your language are there...

How many different accents/dialects of your language are there, and how comprehensible are they for a speaker of another accent? For example, Serbs from Vojvodina(northern Serbia), and those from Vranje or Leskovac(southern Serbia) sound very different(intonation, pronunciation, use of cases...)...there's even difference between towns, like Valjevo, Subotica, Šabac, Kruševac...the list goes on...not to mention that Bosnian, Croatian and Montenegrin Serbs have their own characteristics

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LexQcDqCgrg
youtube.com/watch?v=vRGuG2qqEN4
youtube.com/watch?v=xi3MYnhyh34
youtube.com/watch?v=0Q9D_TOBKl4
youtube.com/watch?v=gqnvdpExf2c
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriac_alphabet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wew

Most of our dialects are a simple exchange of vowels, for example using the "u" instead of "a". They vary from one town to another and they're understandable for the most part.
The most notable one is the Gozitian dialect. They use a lot of old words what we don't use, in other cases they have switched meaning for words and sometimes you just can't
understand them.

We gotta go deeper

Is there any big difference between these dialects? Can you easily understand everyone with an accent from other region? We have a standarized Serbian based on Šumadija-Vojvodina and East Herzegovina dialect. And for example, it's much more slower and elegant than southern dialects. Only Torlakian dialect, which is spoken in South-Eastern Serbia is hard to understand, and it's more like Macedonian or Bulgarian language

Northern -- Okanie
Sourthern -- Akanie
Centeral -- Mix of these

That's very interesting. In Serbia, there's no difference in spelling words, although some parts use much more archaic words or words from different languages(Hungarian, Turkish, German...)

The various languages themselves arent really mutually comprehensible (some of them not at all, like sardinian and greek), however "pure" local languages nowadays are rare, most people speak a mix of standard italian and local language called "regional standards" and they are all comprehensible

Are there dialects which are not just verbal, but also written? I'm asking this because I was going to say
that I forgot to mention that only standard Maltese is written, but felt like I was going to say something
obvious.

That's good to know
I'm not an expert, but i think there are no written dialects...they only manifest through speaking

Seven main dialect groups with many (sub)dialects. But there's local variations in each subdialect/speech. There is a saying that "every village has its voice".

lol there are definitely not that many gaelic speakers in the highlands

thing is, with Italian linguistic variation it isn't even right to talk about "dialects" since those are tongues that developed in parallel to standard Italian as much as spanish and french have
""dialects"" in the north for instance are classified by linguists as being closer to French/Spanish(Gallo-Roman family) than to those in the south (Italo-Dalmatian family)

a lot of the modern intellegibility comes from a greater use of Italian derived words as opposed to the more archaic local ones

Arabic dialects can be mutually unintelligeble and there are M A N Y of them. A moroccan speaking in his dialect will not be understood by other arabs except for algerians and mby tunisians.

When people are put into this sort of situation, they try to use standard arabic

Makes sense. Thanks.

I think that's the case with most languages. Although in Slovene, we do have written standards for Rezian and Prekmurje dialects (each having their own, of course, since one is in the far west of Slovene-speaking lands and the other in the far east).

there are 10 million different dialects of German

How much are they mutually understandable?

But they're not used in day to day life?

>How many different accents/dialects of your language are there, and how comprehensible are they for a speaker of another accent?
there's just french
close to no one speak the old dialects

The dialects or the written standards? The dialects surely are but I don't live close to either of the areas so I can't really say about writing. They have certain publications that are in dialect to preserve that and I'm assuming they'd write in it in everyday life, too. I mean, I often do and my dialect doesn't have a written standard.
There's a guy from Carinthia who puts out a lot of videos and he writes in dialect, too (plus German). In a way, it's like a look at how Slovene was written before Slovene standardisation.

Croatian has even more dialects (around 40 Kajkavian dialects alone + two dozen chakavian dialects and a few shtokavian ones) and also regional alphabets than Slovenia (bednjanski comes to mind).

>There's a guy from Carinthia who puts out a lot of videos and he writes in dialect, too (plus German).

A lohk linkaš enga?

Če mene vprašaš, so naši jezikoslovci malo konzervativno kategorizirali naša narečja. če bi hotel, bi lahko razdrobil še vsako narečno skupino na manjše skupine. Sploh, če na teh zemljevidih pogledaš Gorenjsko, bi mislil, da vsi govorimo enako, pa to ni res.

youtube.com/watch?v=LexQcDqCgrg
No, mogoče tole ne šteje več pod narečje, ampak kreol. Rudi je majster, prijavi se na njegov kanal.

>barely ever speak galician
>have THICK galician accent and accidentally use galician expressions so everyone knows im from here when i visit other parts of spain
FML

definitely wrong for Germany

Brandenburg/Berlin, Saxony and Rhineland speak distinctively different

My bad, I meant the writings but you responded. Thanks.

like 10
not too different

How.
Hungary is plain, so you don't have excuses for that like Slovenians or Basques.

>Sploh, če na teh zemljevidih pogledaš Gorenjsko, bi mislil, da vsi govorimo enako, pa to ni res.

Me prav zanima kje je razmejitvena črta med vprašalnicama kva pa kuga. Do kod seže kva je zadnjič tukaj vprašal en Hrvat, ki je trdil, da isto vprašalnico uporabljajo tudi v južni Srbiji. Sicer sem mu rekel, da je to ljubljanska posebnost, a se ne konča takoj zunaj mesta. Mislim, da vsaj v Mengšu/Holmcu še govorijo po ljubljansk, proti SZ pa se kvakanje ustav že za Medvodami afaik.

Pa dobro, da si me spomnil na Hudija pa Mahjana. Komaj čakam, da pridem na tekoče z njunimi novimi dogodivščinami.

How different is st. petersburg dialect from moscow dialect? Who sound the most pretentious?

It depends. After this graphic I would say they are understable in their own groups (like in this chart A, B, C...).
But most people speak or at least unterstand Standard-German, so it's possible to communicate. Only in some regions on the countryside it is possible that even the neighbour villages have their own dialects.

A lot. Be a champ and say how do these sound different

>"Basic" finnish
youtube.com/watch?v=vRGuG2qqEN4

>Southwestern dialect more specifically a unique dialect found in city of Rauma

youtube.com/watch?v=xi3MYnhyh34

there's barely any difference, just a few vowels pronounced differently and a negligible amount of non standard words

Thanks to communism dialects of Russian all have died out in favour of the Moscow one.
Or they are spoken by 0,5 old women in God knows where.
The only difference might be that people from north pronounce O very clearly, people from South pronounce A very clearly, Central aka Official is a mix of both.
Also people from Kuban pronounce G like He in word "helmet".

Ne vem, kje bi to bilo, ampak kva slišiš tudi v Kranju (med določenimi tudi kaj, Marija pomagaj). Bolj proti vzhodu pa rečejo kuha, oziroma kakorkoli se napiše tisti glas med g in h, ki ga poznajo sicer rovtarji.

There are a few, but rapidly declining.

>all of the Scottish Highlands and Isle of Man is Celtic
>only the gaeltacht regions of Ireland are Celtic despite Irish being the most widespread Gaelic language
wtf?

Behold, the pride map of regional dialects in Lithuania. There are two larger ones - highland and lowland dialects, but they all split up further until you end up with pic related.
They're all close , but if you can exaggerate the differences, if you're speaking a samogitian dialect, enough to make it difficult to understand for someone who's only familiar with lithuanian-proper.

There are 3 major dialects of Irish, Ulster (northern), Connacht (Western) and Munster (Southern). The dialects of Leinster are dead so the closest there is now is a Pidgin Irish which involves a lot of calqueing English idiom and use of English phonetics. The dialects are essentially intelligible to each other. Ulster Irish is reasonably compatible with Scottish Gaelic.

Irish-English is a bit less diverse. There are strong accents and regional slang so you can probably guess where somebody is from but the grammar is largely the same. Northern and Dublin dialects are the most distinct. Younger people increasingly use Anglo-American slang so it's quickly becoming a bit homogeneous.

Quite a lot and you can understand them.

Are there dialects in galiciANO?

uhh theres a few minor differences
>coastal parts have seseo
>eastern parts say "pantalóis" instead of "pantalóns" and one of the parts says "pantalós" (pantalones)
cant think of other diff atm

What about the poortuguese dialect?

I guess there are three
The standard Israeli dialect, which is the dialect of anyone who speaks Hebrew natively*
Then there are the Ashkenazi and Mizrahi dialects, used by religious people of those heritage, but today even in liturgic contexts most people use the standard dialect
The standard dialect is basically a simplified form of the Mizrahi dialect with some Ashkenazi elements

*the only real exception I can think of are Ashkenazi Haredim, who speak in Standard, but use the Ashkenazi dialect for a few specific words, usually with religious meaning, ex: (accent marking stress)
Shábos instead of Shabát
Rébeh instead of Rébi
Tóyreh instead of Torá
Isrúyel instead of Israél
Etc etc

>How many different accents/dialects of your language are there,
3 main ones, a lot of smaller ones.
>and how comprehensible are they for a speaker of another accent?
Quite hard at first but you can get used to them fairly quickly.

About 150-200 dialects forming about 4-8 semi-intelligible 'languages' and half of those 4-8 having many more speakers than the other half. There is no common script, 6 or 7 different ones are used by the various groups. And it has well under 10 million speakers.

>Aramaic

>6-7 scripts
Arabic
Hebrew
Latin by scholars
What else?

This, and maybe Armenian Greek or Cyrillic? I would have thought they mostly just use the aramaic alphabet

I don't have infographs, but I do have this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=0Q9D_TOBKl4
Also, an example of Singaporean Malay:
youtube.com/watch?v=gqnvdpExf2c

The Malay language is more generally divided into two major variant groups:
> Indonesian / Bahasa Indonesia - in Indonesia and East Timor
> Malaysian / Bahasa Malaysia (used interchangibly with "Malay / Bahasa Melayu") - in Malaysia, Singapore, southern Thailand, Brunei AND some parts of Indonesia

Both variants differ significantly in recent modern vocabulary from the influence of colonizing languages - Dutch and English respectively, pic related. As you can see from the comparison, Indonesian Malay can look pretty...excessive (or "pretentious" as some Malaysians put it harshly), compared to the more purist Malaysian Malay in terms of the former's tendencies towards using Western words for expressing ideas already encompassed in existing words.

Speaking of perception, Malaysians understand Indonesians more than vice versa because their soap operas and music do get airtime here compared to the other way around - though there are several minor exceptions. Oh, and Indonesians always insist on both Bahasas being as different as, say, Dutch and German for some reason (likely political) when it's more like the situation of American and Commonwealth Englishes.

Well, first of all I'll say I was just talking about modern speakers. The majority of modern speakers are Christians, and Christians have used none of those for pretty much their entire existence but this which started around the same time: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriac_alphabet which also posted. It has five or six variants and two are used for the spoken language, the ones that say serto and madnhaya on that Wiki page. There is also the Mandaic or Neo-Mandaic script. So that's three, while Kurdistan Jews use Hebrew script, that's four. Arabic/Persian script is used instead of any of these in some areas, that's five. The Soviet Union developed an official way to write it (instead of madnhaya for those speakers) in Cyrillic, that's six, and you could add English but let's just say there's six.

I'm pretty sure it's Nestorian/East Syriac/Madnhaya/Whatever in this image, it's probably the main script overall for the modern spoken languages, but in no way universal. I think it's from late antiquity.

>I would have thought they mostly just use the aramaic alphabet

Nope. The Aramaic or Hebrew type of script became a lesser-used one for Aramaic gradually after Rome fell and is now used by Jews.

I'd say that the difference between Spanish dialects in Spain is bigger than the difference between Spanish dialects in the Americas, maybe as big.