Parents speak to me in Polish at home

>parents speak to me in Polish at home
>never receive formal education
>understand Polish fluently
>can have entire conversations when I go to Poland and everyone understands me and I get by fine
>purchase grammar textbook in all Polish to improve
>want to kill myself because I get half the exercises wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/01/22/ice-detains-a-polish-doctor-and-green-card-holder-who-has-lived-in-the-u-s-for-nearly-40-years/?utm_term=.79c2a05334f8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

guaranteed that you live in chicago
t. chicagoan

That's the half you need to focus on to improve.
I learned most German grammar and rules back in school but forgot most of them. Almost nobody knows these since it's mostly intuitive.

>be chinese
>too much of a brainlet to ever pick it up from my parents
>monolingual now because i took latin in school

so you can speak words but you can't write them correctly? what words are troublesome for you?

>parents speak [...] Polish
kill them
then kys

How do you get treated in asian restaurants and in social gathering desu

I know enough polish to have people say "wow I can't believe youre american" and my accent is pretty good, its just the specifics of when to use certain things for certain sentences is brutally hard without going to school for it. Like for example this books has exercises for nic, niczego, niczemu, niczym, nikt, nikgo, etc. and for most sentences I know based off of memory which sounds the best and what works, but someone of the answers confuse me because I feel like multiple answers could be correct

The middle-aged first-generation immigrants just make fun of me. I hate them.
The Asian-Americans who were raised in really Asian areas like California also shit on me, fucking chinks.

>Like for example this books has exercises for nic, niczego, niczemu, niczym, nikt, nikgo
no problem just go full sczizsc isczscz sicniscz nisczh

Don't be so hard on yourself, OP. This is to be expected as a second generation immigrant. You should be glad that you got a headstart and that you even make the effort to catch up with the language because some immigrant parents actively shun talking to their children in their mother tongue and deprive them of ever becoming bilingual.

As someone grown up with the language from an early age, you have already been exposed to a foreign set of phonemes. Studies show that young children and babies being exposed to a foreign language develop pretty early the ability to distinguish between more sounds, even if they don't up learning the language initially. So with a bit of effort and regular study you will get there at some point.

>t. russian
>understand simple russian
>can speak a little
>can't read or write at all

PACHEEEMU PAKACHINU
that's all i remember

>Asian-Americans who were raised in really Asian areas like California also shit on me
why and how?

sometimes two of these word can be correct
like you could say
nic nie rozumiem
or
niczego nie rozumiem

both are ok

CHI

You can learn Cyrillic within a few days or even an afternoon if you make the effort. It's the easiest part of studying Russian.

Because they were raised in Asian areas, they speak Chinese and eat real Chinese food and use chopsticks and study every day and stuff like that.
They make fun of me for not doing that.

> niczego, niczemu, nikt, nikgo
that sound a lot like some russian i still remember
nikto nikavo

My condelences friendo. Don't let that eat you up.

I'm in the same boat, but worse. I can understand most things in Albanian and I can kind of speak it, but I can barely read it and can't write it at all, and I have a lot of difficulty understanding things outside of my own dialect. It sucks.

i'm sure all these words are similiar in every slav language

True but that's the least of my problems. My vocabulary is like that of a 5 year old. Etc.

i know and I'm thankful, I just feel so dumb for not caring about it more when I was younger. Now I'm 23 and feel like a retard. It's hard to not be regretful that I wasted so much time.
I know, but theres specific cases where when I need to put the word in myself, I get confused. But I'm working on it and trying my best.

do you also have cases and declensions in polish? nikavo, nikamu, oh shit i forgot the rest. if someone says it to me i will understand. but i can't remember it.

>It's hard to not be regretful that I wasted so much time.

The best time to plant a tree was a hundred years ago. The second best time is now.

>fluent Russian speaker thanks to my parents
>can read the language with ease
>can understand someone with a broken jaw speaking incredibly fast
>can't actually write or type it since I don't remember any spelling or even have a Cyrillic keyboard

Some people need years of study to even get to that level. So you should see this as an advantage actually.

>real Chinese food
disgusting
westernized Chinese is the one cuisine that is superior to its native equivalent

Your parents never send you to a Polish school as a kid?

wtf dude you're lucky that your parents taught you anything at all, if you can really fluently speak polish without messing things up it's a real achievement because i've never seen anyone who wasn't born in poland speaking like a native

emigrants tend to forget their mother language pretty quick, i wouldnt be surprised if you only knew english

>being polish
How does it feel to have inferior genes?

I had a dres try to fight me because he thought i was pretending to be American while talking outside with my Polish gf

of course, and this is the main reason why i've never seen anyone not fully polish speaking perfect polish
the words change with each case, sometimes even in extreme way, there is no pattern for this, you just gotta know all 7 or 8 forms of every word

>flag
you could start by sharing your own perspective before he shares his

You didn't go to polish school?

>indian
>parents speak telugu
>never speak telugu to me, never taught me telugu
>none of the indian parents I know teach their children their language

??
why so many indians be like this

they tried to but i autistically raged because i already had to go to catholic school n sundays and didnt want my saturdays being spent learning polish

>catholic school
what the fuck is this?

There is no religious education in American public schools because it's a secular country. So religious parents send their children to confessional private schools on Sundays.

we dont have Catholicism taught to us in public school wladyslaw. If you want your kids to get a communion or confirmation they need to go to catholic school

and how much time do you spend there every sunday?
religion education in school is just bullshit anyway, my parents are catholic and yet i was never attending these classes because it's just a wasted hour
these classes were always as a first or last lesson this day so those who don't go, just wake up for school later or go home earlier

>speak English
>only speak English, that's it
>never once had the need to learn a foreign language so I chose not to
It sucks to already be speaking the lingua franca

>every sunday
*every day

for me it was about an hour a week, it was literally just a waste of time because the teachers were usually shitty. It was just to force you to learn about Jesus so you can have your catholic ceremonies completed through the church.

>Be Czech
>fluent in Czech
>dad is American, mom is Czech, >moved to America when 6
>Czech may be fluent, but slight accent and grammar is sometimes a little off
>go to Prague every summer
>Accent is wierd not enough to indicate I'm a foreigner, but Czech is good enough to the point where they think I'm just retarded
>have to explain to acquaintances all the time that I'm not retarded, just that Ive been living in America
On the plus side, the Mexicans compliment me for how good my Spanish is, and the Russians call me мoлoдeц when they realize I speak 3 languages.
Still feels bad man

i know a church close to where i live where you can just pay some money and they let you have all the shit you need for a catholic marriage or other stuff in no time
christianity is one big moneygrab lol

There are some schools that integrate religious stuff and the normal curriculum taught in schools.

lol this is hilarious

>parents speak to me in Polish at home
You have cruel parents
That said, read books, nigger
And I don't mean handbooks, I mean literature

any suggestions? literally anything. News websites? any fucking resource you can think of

my parents spoke polish at the dinner table and I never got the hang of polish so i eventually separated from them completely and hated the polish language enough to never learn it despite having a name that's unreadable to yanks
haha

Here is why all Poles in America need to learn Polish:
washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/01/22/ice-detains-a-polish-doctor-and-green-card-holder-who-has-lived-in-the-u-s-for-nearly-40-years/?utm_term=.79c2a05334f8

>Be Chicano
>Speak extremely broken Spanish
>Can't understand it spoken well at all.
They say Spanish is the easiest language but I can't pick it up at all despite both my parents speaking it around me all my life. It's so fucking hard.

tl;dr
I'm a naturalized citizen can this bullshit happen to me?

obviously not you stupid fuck

No, apparently he never bothered to apply for a citizenship. Now he is being deported to Poland even though he doesn't even speak Polish lmao

Because your parents realized that there is no need for you to speak telugu. If the only people who speak telugu are Indian, and all Indians swap to english, then no one will speak telugu and it won't matter.

Also he has a criminal record which is the main reason for all of his problems

He was arrested for DUI twice which is weird because Poles are not known for being heavy drinkers... I dunno

pls give emacs waifu

>Can I be deported if I'm a citizen
Your polish genes surely are showing

>drinking and driving
dumb debil deserves it then i dont care

I don’t understand why they say Spanish is the easiest language. What makes it easy? I read it’s loke top 3 easiest language, period.
I’m a CHI and it was my first language so I don’t have the perspective of trying to actively learning it as a foreign language.

What makes it easy? English seems a fuckton easier but in hindsight I did struggle somewhat as a child

Time to become culturally white. No one will laugh when you're part of the honorary Aryan brigade.

Nothing is easy about Spanish. It is only easy at the beginner's level. Spanish grammar is arguably more difficult than French. Subjunctive is used a lot more etc. And subjunctive is really hard to grasp for English speakers. But of course Spanish is super easy compared to slavic languages. It is all relative.

The easiness of a target language for a certain individual is largely dependent on its proximity and similarity to the native language of said individual.

English and Spanish are both part of the Indo-European language family thus share a lot of common features. Additional to just pure language relations, English also boasts a strong influence from the Romance Language branch which Spanish part of, with over 60% of its vocabulary with direct Latin or (Norman) French origin.

So, English and Spanish have a strong overlap in grammatical features and vocabulary, so they both are among the easiest languages to learn for their respective speakers.

Hey hey guys

Guys

What if you

No, guys, listen

Just a thought

Hey guys

What if you

LEARNED THE LANGUAGE with like, you know, study and education

This

Spanis is somewhat easy to understand, especially if you grew up on the west coast. A lot of words are somewhat similar or you can hear them and have an understanding of what they might mean. The basics of the language are also pretty easy to grasp, so you might be able to do baby talk of most of spanish so if you do get trapped in Mexico you would be able to communicate with someone.

Lem if you like sci-fi, the comedy/adventure stuff is imo much better than the heavier titles (Solaris is overrated, Robots' Tales or Star Diaries are way more interesting)
Sienkiewicz's Trilogy is what everyone reads in secondary school/high school and it's a legit fun read, feels a bit like a western movie set in PLC
Mickiewicz might be a bit too hard for you due to archaisms, but you might give Dziady a try since it's our national epic
Słowacki's Kordian and Balladyna are classic plays, a bit similar to Shakespeare's stuff I guess
If you don't mind more youth-oriented stuff then pretty much anything by Kornel Makuszyński is pretty great
You can try reading Ferdydurke if you want to experiment with something more absurd and subversive
Prus's Lalka is also a classic, albeit a bit heavier
There's lots of stuff to pick from depending on what you like. I think it's the most painless method of learning how words are written.

thank you so much for writing this out, I'm going to look into this stuff. I appreciate it

Private schools organized by different groups. Catholics have their own. Methodists have their own. Jew have their own etc. You get your generic education plus extra hours of religious education.

let me try. senora senora ayuda, una persona sin cabeza a la casa. llamar policia
would i be understood?

T. Polish diaspora

My spanish is shit but I read it as miss miss help, a person with a head to the house. call police
Even if it doesn't necessarily make complete sense, I would think someone hit their head or something and you needed someone to call an ambulance.

This is like the most barebones stuff of our school curiculum, so you can probably find all of it bundled up somewhere, like in pdfs or whatever.

yeah that's almost what i tried to say. except sin means without i think. also not a la casa en la casa in the house. i found a beheaded person in the house i am renting and i am talking to the landlord about that.

Yeah I asked my mexican friend and he said that sin was without, so it would've been miss miss help, a person without head at the house. call police

>The middle-aged first-generation immigrants just make fun of me
You deserve it

There is something wrong about him if he even needs to communicate with them or care about what they think about him. First gen old chinese people spit and blow their noses in the streets.