/djt/ - Daily Japanese Thread #1976

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q138837583
hinative.com/en-US/questions/2959646
hochanh.github.io/rtk/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

dont wanna learn japanese too busy with college

I've been studying English for over 10 years and I still don't get some kanji...

How come ROFL and LMAO have the same etymology? That makes no sense whatsoever, they don't even look alike.
Not to mention all variations, such as LOL, LEL, KEK, JEJ, JOJ, ROTFLMAO...

Here are some kanji I mined recently:
WYSIWYG
TBFHWY (variant of tb and h)
IYKWIM
AFAIC (variant of AFAIK)

When will it end? Why can't these burgers make sense for once instead of making up this stupid shit I have to Google before I know the meaning?

IKR?

The guy's talking about how he's bad at communicating and then he says 「少なくとも、話下手な俺にとっては」
I'm a bit uncertain about how the line fits in to what he's saying and what the は is for.
The 「少なくとも、話下手」part makes me feel like he means to say the stuff he's saying before applies to him as a speaker and the 「は」is used to imply (explicitly state?) that in fact it only applies to him as a speaker but not as a writer, for example.
Is that correct?

Just realized she's fatter. Nicely done Brazil.

Donald J Trump
DJT

Can someone translate this to me?

I think that's just an informal, chopped sentence. It's referring to everything he just said. Something along the lines of "at least, that's how it goes for me".

My understanding:
>Words never seem to come out the way I want them to (as they are, the important things that I really want to express).
>Well, that at least goes for me anyways
It's not chopped, it's supplementing the previous sentence to clarify it.

昨日は二二六事件でした。二・二六事件関係者の墓に行きました。

功名何ぞ夢の跡
消えざるものはただ誠

人生意気に感じては

成否を誰かあげつらふ

A tip for those who may not know, since I realized it just recently myself.
If you miss a day in Anki or just need to extend your deadline a little, you can turn back your system clock to make Anki think it's still earlier/the previous day. Then you can finish your study and turn the clock back to normal, and it's as if you actually did study earlier.
Note that you can't sync while the clock is turned back, and I wouldn't recommend turning it back after already starting the day's study, it can cause weird issues with Anki saying you have cards due but also not letting you see them because it thinks they aren't due yet.

なんで日本語勉強するの?

Oh did they finally fix the misbehavior where Anki refused to boot if your clock was wrong?

Oh, I don't know.
I just change my clock without closing Anki. The due cards update immediately.
Generally, I just don't ever close Anki.

grant me the power to learn japanese

にゃんにゃん

That particular thing with anki time is annoying, if you happen to study your new cards after 12 AM (using default settings with 4 AM as time to start a new review day). Anything studied after 12 is automatically pushed to be reviewed the next day, rather than later that day.

Here 力. It's the kanji for strength. Now you have the power

bump

マンコ

You can(not) write moon

ジャップ女よりドイツ人のほうがいいじゃん

黄熱という感染症にかかった俺にはジャップ女以外興味がない

箱頭好きじゃない。

ドイツ人の頭は箱の形であるのが人気の既成概念。英語ではBoxheadがドイツ人と同じ。知らなかった?それともあのスポンジボブの絵はメタポスト?ww

>あのスポンジボブの絵はメタポスト?ww
これ

bump

WotDs of the Day:
斯くなる上は
頓知
おたんこなす
謀る
暴く
培う
合点
手玉に取る
外道
厭く
鬱憤
賭博
焦土
馬鹿げる
傘下

knew about half

雨霰

弾除け
戦国時代
創意
満を持す
油紙
雪崩れ込む
帰趨
辛くも
百歳
響めき
軍備拡張
糜爛性ガス
窘める
引っ叩く

>おたんこなす
Here's the full story: detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q138837583
tl;dr: TINY DICK BASTARD

Bumping suicidal thread

悲しいね。

>only 4 months to JLPT examination
>still not have the time to read every day

I'm not gonna make it...

Everyone has the time to read every day. You could've read during the time you're spending posting here, or during commute, or by waking up five minutes earlier and spending that extra time reading. It's all progress that adds up over time.

how can I find out if a girl is a gaijin hunter?

Not being autistic would be a start

Today I woke up 5 hours later than planned. What do then.

Stay up for 5 extra hours and use them to read, obviously.

what animay

中国人と韓国人もYellowだけど、何で日本人?
あとね、日本人に対してジャップって言わない方がいいよ
Sup Forumsに来る日本人は、Japやnipを略語として扱ってくれてるけど、日本で日本人にそれ言ったら、最悪の場合、ケンカになるよ

It was just a joke m8

自殺したほうがいいよ左黄。誰もに構わない。

how much effort should I be putting into literal translations (being very precise with grammar) vs just reading quickly and having a decent idea of whats going on

the sentiment i get from a lot of people in these threads is to just do the latter, but it seems like you'd never really catch on to a lot of stuff if you were to only do that

If you're learning, the latter.
Translating is different from understanding, as you have to adapt the language, and even bilingual speakers might have problems switching back and forth between them without stumbling.

My take on it is you should gradually compare what you have learned with how people translate stuff. So when you see an English subbed anime or YT video, or a translated quote on a newspaper, you will be able to tell how people adapt meanings and even how off that particular translation seems.

Specially when it comes to figures of speech, you'll need mileage in translated material before you're any good at translating them.

I've always aimed to understand the grammar of every sentence as much as possible, but that's different from translating it. It's also impossible to achieve for every sentence and getting caught up on one for too long is counterproductive.

that's closer to what i mean. my problem atm is i sometimes cant even keep the entire context of a long sentence in my head

i still have a pretty low vocab count. it wasnt a problem with something like yotsuba + bilingualmanga cause I could just yomi through words without having to stop every 5 seconds. since I read all of that, switching to OCRing every 5 seconds seemed inefficient.

ive now been doing nhk easy articles. i can yomi these, but the sentences are obviously much harder

Are you done with Taekim yet? He has a good chunk of information on formal writing, which was enough for me to start reading Wikipedia.
Granted, my vocab is disproportionately big compared to my other areas of knowledge.

I used to have that problem as well. It's slow going but you'll overcome it, just keep reading. Novels and VNs are texthookable and probably more compelling than NHK.

N7 pro nip speaker coming through. Be careful.

海猫と鴎の違い知ってますか?

i went through the first few spice and wolf sentences and concluded that it wasnt going to happen

maybe there's an easy LN to pick up. they all seem kind of intimidating since like I said, even a sentence can be too much context.

ya i read it all. i started yotsuba at 400 words, im at like 1050 now

Yeah, that's pretty much the meaning I got out of it, just wanted to be sure.
This guy's explanation confirms my suspicions about the は at the end there
hinative.com/en-US/questions/2959646
Thanks.

Try Kino no Tabi. Even if you dislike it, each story is self-contained and you can drop it after finishing a chapter.
Note: the prologue is a bit strange/hard to understand because it throws you in some confusing part of the story without any introduction. Don't get discouraged by it and proceed to chapter one.

Both look stupid to me.

海猫は泣く

Guys I need urgent help. I submitted my application to Waseda Summer Session through my university, but they said I was missing some additional requirements and placed me in National Taiwan University instead. Fucking hell, I only want to go to Waseda University but my university is screwing me over. I don't know what to do guys, I'm graduating soon so I don't have another chance. If you guys can offer me any advice, I would gladly take it!

There's no lookup tool that lets you search for kanji by radical "names"/"meanings" is there?

each chapter? how many are there? i watched the original anime which was only like 10eps

There are 20 volumes with... I don't know, 6 stories per book.

Only this RTK one:
hochanh.github.io/rtk/

Neato. Thanks.

うむ

うあぁ

うぐ

Alright boys I've hit two months. I feel good about kana and my kanji and vocab studies are progressing smoothly. I know roughly 700 words and 500 kanji. I'm looking to start reading, what LNs would you recommend?

People usually recommend Kino no Tabi.
I think I've seen some people mention that GJ-bu is easy as well.