The Dark Tower - thoughts?

Was anyone else as severely disappointed in The Dark Tower as I was?

Not even on the "Roland wasn't a nigger" tip, but just at how poorly made it was. I've been waiting for a Dark Tower movie since I read the books about 10 years ago, but they managed to completely destroy it.
The story was so rushed and poorly executed, none of the elements of the story that I loved were included, it wasn't even set up to have a sequel really...
They could have made a great movie just out of The Gunslinger alone and went from there, but NOOOOOOOO, they chose to just throw as much shit into a single movie as they could and moved on with their lives.
Call me a pleb for liking Stephen King all you want, but this movie had tremendous potential and they wasted every single bit.
Please let me know if I'm wrong or how you felt about it or if you even bothered to see it at all. I'm genuinely interested in what Sup Forums felt about this movie.

Anyone? I really am interested in knowing what you guys think about it. Mostly because I don't have anyone else to really bitch about it with and I need to get some of this shit off my chest

I thought it was terrible as an adaptation, but a strangely kid-friendly fantasy action/adventure of surpassing inoffensiveness.

It was like capeshit meets The Dark Tower.

It was in line with what the Dark Tower series has become.

Pure unadulterated shit.

my friend who has read the books was extremely disappointed in it, I haven't read the books and I thought it was "meh" with a bunch of stuff like the rat people and "forgotten the face of your father" that i just didn't know if it was retarded or was suppose to mean something. bad guy felt like an underwhelming Kilgrave from Jessica Jones except he seemed to do even less and it was hard to see why everybody was terrified of him.

They did a really horrible job with Flagg's character. We're talking about a guy who kills the grass wherever his shadow falls.

And if you want the truth, I've never thought that The Dark Tower was live-action friendly. I admit they actually did a pretty good job showing Roland's world, but to do the characters real justice, most especially Flagg, you almost *have* to go with an animated adaptation.

Bakshi's old film "Wizard" with less stylistic characters would be just about perfect. I think Todd Macfarlan cpwould be a good choice, too.

>everyone knew it would be godawful
>its released
>all the critics say its godawful

>HAY U GUISE AM I DA ONLY ONE WHO THUNK DA MOOVEE IS BAD????

what motivates people to make threads like this

People who didn't read the books dont seem to get the big deal.

By comparison, if this was a Sony picture called "Harry Potter," it would involve a kid learning he's a wizard, visiting Hogwarts, learning to use his wand from a newly found mentor, and destroying Voldemorte in the end. All in one movie, all in 90 minutes. Nothing else, no important supporting characters, no subplots, no nothing. That's all 7 books covered by one 90 minute movie, where the movie is clearly based on the series as a whole but has almost no similarities with any of the individual novels.

I agree with you that an animated show would have been the absolute best way to go about it.
But I think if they had even just did it as a TV they would've had more time to flesh out Mid-World and what actually went on there and why the "world has moved on"

I felt that basically it was just a generic fantasy world with generic fantasy elements and I was really disappointed in McConaughey's performance. Flagg was such a great villain in the books and sorry to keep using the same word over and over again but he just felt like some generic bad guy who was bad just because they told you he was. I didn't feel any depth to his character or Roland's for that matter

mid-world is not hard to pull off. Hell, Logan pulled off mid-world. This movie should have been the first of a series, and given the setting of the gunslinger it should have been like shooting fish in a barrel for sony

I just finished watching it in the theater, I knew it was gonna be shit but I went into it hoping that I was wrong and they actually did it justice despite what I'd seen in trailers and whatnot.

what motivated you to be an insufferable asshole for absolutely no reason than just to be generally unpleasant and unlikable to everybody after just one comment? It must really suck to be you.
And as another side note, I specifically didn't say "am i the only one" because I know in a world of 8 billion people the answer to that question is never ever going to be yes. I was genuinely interested in hearing what other people thought about it. I know, what a fucking douche I turned out to be, right??

But you made yourself look like a massive faggot and I'm actually embarrassed for you...

Yeah, the way the butchered Roland's character reaaaally pissed me off. Roland's never been a "vengeance for muh dad" sort of character.

Yeah, they could have just done a chronological telling of the story and I would have been riveted.

>they actually did it justice
>they managed to completely destroy it.

Are you schizophrenic OP ?

i was not disappointed. because i did not watch it. because main character is ugly. kid was cute but main character is very very ugly. so did not watch it. if main character was young and handsome. would have watched it. and enjoyed it.

I do not give a single shit about the film but I urge any with a passing interest in fiction to read the books.

After seeing the trailer, I thought this was going to be the first insallation of an ongoing IP geared towards a younger audience.

It looked to me like this movie was going to be a combination of the first three books. The protagonist was to be Jake, who through his obsession was led to the house and pulled through the portal by his new companions. They would either omit the rape or work around it. This would be the end of the first act.

The second act would involve the other characters, mostly Roland for the longest segment, recounting the events that led them to meet Jake. This would cover The Gunslinger and the The Drawing of the Three as well as the earlier parts of The Wastelands.

I know this would have been challenging for screenwriters and the directing team, but it would have been a good start for a 3 or 4 movie spanning series cash cow that satisfied fans.

It's not a "Steven King's: the Dark Tower" movie. If you look up any interviews with the director, it's explained that this is exactly what said. They took all of the books and made a non-canon "sequel" to a movie that hasn't been made- cut that. A #tv show# that they're going to make about this second universe they want to promote. It is exactly capeshit meets the Dark Tower.

They're trying to bring kids into a series for adults and failed.

it's fucking stupid to put a metatextual 5000 page book seires into one movie and always will be

>hey could have made a great movie just out of The Gunslinger alone

Weird West is an underappreciated genre and it's a fucking shame the closest thing since High Planes Drifter is this log.

>hoping i was wrong and they actually did it justice

is your reading comprehension really that shit?
jesus man, stop replying to my thread until you learn how to read

>to do the characters real justice, most especially Flagg, you almost *have* to go with an animated adaptation.

animated movies are for losers, faggots and basement dwellers. Pokemon and movie and shit. No it's either live action or nothing. Jesus, we can do Avatar and this kid is saying it should be a cartoon. Fuck.

You have shit tastes. Mediocre movie adaptation for a mediocre series. And that's putting it kindly.

thanks for stopping by
now kindly fuck right off, we're looking for people to contribute to the discussion.

i will say feel free to stick around if you'd like to clarify why you feel that way about the series but I'm afraid "mediocre blah blah blah" isn't helpful to anyone and you just seem to not be able to discuss the subject matter in a fashion that is interesting or insightful. and I'm gonna guess that you cant do any better that "uhhhh your shit sucks" so I think i'll just stick to FUCK OFF you incredible waste of space

>being this butthurt over a cash grab adaption of one of Kings worst books

State of your fucking life. If you weren't a complete idiot you'd know King hasn't written anything worth shit since the 80s.

this post may seem extreme, but it's how most normies really feel. no film that wants to reach a wide audience can be animated.

thats really my point. my comment was made only half ironically on behalf of the normie community

You read everything he's written since the 80's kid? Does it measure up to your hunger games?

I'm not concerned with anything Stephen King has written literally EVER
This thread was asking people how they felt about the Dark Tower movie and if they were as disappointed as I was. Try to keep up, you don't seem able to do anything other than attempt to insult people and fail miserably because you have nothing of substance to contribute to any discussion. I'm sure there is a Pickle Rick thread out there that's missing you right now, maybe you should head back there where you will be with other like-minded faggots. Better yet there is a thread about "Young Sheldon" going right now that I'm sure you would be much happier in.
Again thanks for stopping by and wasting everyone's time with your faggotry, we're all super impressed what a cool guy you are!

OP is a faggot

don't know why anyone expected this movie to be good. it's adapted from a work by one of the biggest hack writers in the world.

sorry your thread got hijacked op. I'm out. let it die.

> author wrote the basis for Shawshank, the Shining, Misery, It and Carrie. Many awards one
> faggot on Sup Forums calls him a hack.

What are your writings? Shitposting here? KEK

What's a hack writer? This isn't /lit/ so the definition from this board must be interesting
>Captcha: bourgeoys bayou

Wow. I'm not even the guy you responded to, but I have to ask : is it the first week you're on Sup Forums? I have never seen anyone eat bait as much as you just did.

yeah I think i'm done too.
I just needed to vent and I think I got enough of it out of my system to go to bed without crying over the death of one of my favorite series.

But before I go, I'd just like to state that one of the things that really ruined it for me was Nigger Roland, like what was even the purpose? Idris Elba wouldn't even have been a good choice for Roland if he was white.

It's not my first week, i've been here literally all summer! How dare you? I would downvote your comment, but I cant find the arrow buttons, can anyone help???

Could OP be anymore of a queer?

thanks for the bump, fag boy. I was gonna let the thread die, but clearly you couldn't avoid the opportunity to use your very finely tuned gaydar to sting me to the core with your wit. OP is always a fag, you're not clever.

Now tell me, WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK??

>man in black is now black man in dark gray

idiots

FUCK OFF BACK TO R E D D I T .

Wizard and Glass was fucking amazing. its the last we truly got of the good shit that King was capable of producing, before the accident. they could have had McConaughey as Roland, but god forbid we get a casting director to get their shit together for 5 minutes.

part 2 was bitter tears and bad nightmares the novel, part tthree was bad times in hell.
>we will never get a gasher and tick tock man torture Jake movie.

part one was Jorodowsky tier bad times in the old west of the post apocalypse far futre

I agree. It took some time, but the ending grew on me.

I abandoned the book series after the talking train and King decided this was all actually a Wizard of Oz bullshit adaptation; should I even be miffed by what they did with the movie?

McConaughey as Roland would be awful, though.

McConaughey would have been perfect for the druggie, not the MiB. Who the fuck do they get to play legless detta, tho?

>McConaughey would have been perfect for the druggie
Too old. Eddie is like 23 or something. No idea why anyone would want McConaughey anywhere near this thing.

>guy from a different dimension teams up with three other characters with problems and their pet dog as they battle an evil sorcerer
It was Wizard of Oz from the beginning. Did you somehow not notice this?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
you fucks really went to see this shit movie
now i know who voted for Trump

>that part when Roland slutshamed those two chicks on the bus
How did they get away with it?

I did but I ignored it for a very long time until he put literal hints of the Emerald City into it. Even skipped past a lot of the Roland and Susannah backstory because it's all naruto-tier filler.
It was recommended (the series) to me by a girl I've always loved so I gave it a shot, that's all.

It could've been much better; where was Roland's hat or missing fingers? Fucking did-a-chick, man

The 4th book is easily in the top two of the series.

When a movie goes full SJW and the SJW critics still hate it, and you still go see it.

No, you are not wrong.

>user ask for discussion, because he was dissappointed
>other user accuse him stating obvious thing

Dont project, op wanted to discuss to understand the failures and missed oppoertunities.

>goes full SJW
I don't know about that
>Roland and Jake get on the bus
>two sluts there aks them if they want to go to the party
>Roland responds by saying that they forgot the face of their fathers
I'm honestly surprised that they actually greenlit that part, Roland has BTFO feminism.

Sup Forumstard latino here.
Since 2009 I want this damn movie, But when I saw WE WUZ GUNSLINGERS, ((((Goldsman))) as a director and King became a full SJW I gave up completely.

>KEK
Can summer end already

when the real summer ended for the last real year of the internet, you were supposed to get a real job, a real life, and stop wasting time on sites like this.

you are the summer, and the summer, you, will never leave

>>Roland responds by saying that they forgot the face of their fathers
WREKT

Eh, I could tell all this from the trailer. No need to watch it.

I didn't mind it but I guess it was because I heard so much about how shit it was, I was expecting something much worse.

You're probably trolling in some way, but Roland was supposed to be older (at least I think, it's been a long time since I read the books). I thought the actor was too young. Still, the movie seemed like a waste of a decent cast to me.

It has an 18% on RT. There's no good reason to complain about it. If anything, you should say it's a masterpiece and went over critics' heads.

Troof, King's quality nosedived in the 90s, and I never thought about it being a result of the accident but it very well could be. Clive Barker went to shit after the stroke, Terry Pratchett went to shit shortly after the alzheimer's diagnoses, athletes go to shit after major concussions.

It's very likely the accident rattled his brains to the point that his creative juices just aren't flowing like they did in the 70s and 80s.

Stephen King made several epic books, though intended for mass consumption, they were pretty great; and then since 96ish, made nothing but shit.

It's a real mistake though to declare King a shit writer. That period from 70s-early 90s he made a handful of some of the best horror/fantasy epics (though there are people that do it quite a bit better), and a lot of mediocre shit too. But really hasn't had a hit since The Green Mile.

And King's cinematic adaptations have an incredibly poor track record. Maybe 1/10 ever turns out any good. But there were some huge hits Green Mile, Stand by Me, The Shining, and arguably It. I really didn't expect this to be a hit, but I really wanted it to be.

All the shitty book adaptations lately have been scaring me. I'm pretty keen for the Chaos Walking movie but seeing all this shit happen even with stars as big as Matthew and Idris gets me worried.

TELL ME ABOUT BANE!! WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK?!?!

It's a Sony movie... what did you expect?