Now that all the smoke has cleared:

what do you think of this film?

At this point I'm not sure if people legitimately enjoy these movies or simply think they do because hype and marketing has clouded their judgement.

Movie was as a generic as 00s and 10s horror cancer can get.

pretty bad. James Wan is a hack. I'm so sick of this wave of demon/possession studio horror movies. just end already. it's been going since Paranormal Activity. Christian horror movies are boring as fuck.

Why have these films received such positive reviews? They are indistinguishable from all the other garbage supernatural horror films that get churned out every year

It's falsely called "horror", because if you take it as a serious horror movie, there is absolutely nothing scary about it (Like that chink flick the Wailing, a total bore that unsettles sub 100IQ audiences). Essentially to even enjoy this a bit you got to watch it a s a sort of paranormal mystery-investigation flick As a horror movie it is about as good as most horror flicks are - way bellow average. Yet as a mystery flick, it could actually be passable, albeit, not very good.

Watched it at the cinema with the old man. The scary parts nearly gave him a heart attack. More of a jumpy film than a horror

fucking garbage.
it's honestly so bad that it completely ruined whatever i liked about the first one.
Wan is a hack who has cool ghost designs.
that's literally it.

WIIIIIIIIIISE MEN SAYYYY

It was so bad. The Conjuring films are by-the-numbers Hollywood trash horror that they put out for easy money. I have no clue how they got such good reviews.

There are no characters, there is no tension, and that stupid twist with her writing down his name was just laughable.

the second one was shit. I only liked the painting sequence shit. But I actually really liked the first one. It kinda harkened back to the old classics.

It falls off in the third act. Otherwise it's bretty gud.

its p good spoops

I like the Warrens as characters. I've heard a lot of their stuff on Coast to Coast AM and the stories are interesting. The movies aren't scary but they are fun to watch. The 2nd one especially has some real QTs in it and a good spooker with the nun. They're just easily consumed popcorn horror, nothing wrong with that.

One of the worst movies I've had the displeasure of watching in recent memory. Predictable plot and 'twists' and that scene where they're all singing is cringy as fuck.

Great. The Conjuring series is pretty much saving modern "big-budget" horror and is one of the few great films in the modern trend of Religious Horror.
There's good character work with the Warrens and the people related to the case, motivations are clear and you care about what happens to people.
Tension is built up fantastically, with most jumpscares being prepped up before they happen (There are some cheat ones though).
It's just a well crafted spooky ride, with a lot of creativity and compelling writing. The definition of horror entertainment.

the first one is a lot better. I wouldn't call 2 good..but the characters are charming and theres some pretty well directed scares. If you can swallow your critics tongue and enjoy a goofy horror film its one of the better ones to come out recently.

Some good sequences and spoops, it's the minor details and character cliche's they avoid that makes them good in the eyes of most. What are the good horror movies we're comparing to this then?

>Based on a true story
Does this actually make a horror movie scarier?

basically this. a brilliant addition playing off all of the classics and doing it well despite bringing nothing new to the table. well acted. well executed. genuinely thrilling. don't know why they're pushing so hard to get their own universe though, the story lines in all of the movies so far have been pretty immaterial to the movie itself

This threads been here for 5 hours and no one has posted those webms

"Mediocre" would be generous. A couple of creepy visuals, sure, but approximately 85% of it was garbage. The first one was decent, but it didn't need any subsequent flicks, much less 3 more or however many they've made.

This.

People lump Wan movies in with all the other modern jump-scares shlock (e.g. Sinister) for some reason. They must not be watching the same movies as me because to me, Wan's radiate self-awareness, intelligence and inventiveness, at least in their approach to crafting suspense. I also feel that way about his successor Sandberg, to a lesser degree.

I do wish their were fewer jump scares, and I'll admit Conjuring 2 was a step down from the first in quality, but overall I love them. Kind of depressed that Wan appears to be bored of horror now and going into big budget action movies which I couldn't care less about.