Did he do his job well?

also not a Star Trek general

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PKtXYbYbP9o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He got promoted from Transporter Chief (and never made a Tuvix) to Chief of Operations on a Deep Space station, and then later went on to teach at Starfleet Academy (despite not being a SA grad himself). I'd say he did his job quite well.

>Transporter chief

That's like being wi-fi officer

>Hey let's have an entire room dedicated to something designed to make rooms like this completely pointless

he just had connections to high places, his results were hardly admirable.
What is the degree of corruption in star fleet?

The transporter requires precission, you don't want something like vid related to happen, or fuck up and make a Tuvix like said

Most disturbing scene in all of Trek.

Precision until the plot demands otherwise and they just beam directly somewhere on the ship

>Until the plot demands

That's how most of Trek works basically, establish something then change it when the episode needs it, sometimes the transporter thing can be excused since it's an alien ship transporting stuff or people, sometimes it just can't be excused, same thing happens with certain traits of alien races, I don't mind it much as long as the episodes are good.

I'm sorry but that man is a killer and a war criminal. He should be put on trial... in Cardassia... to ensure an unbiased outcome!

Dukat has a teaspoon on his forehead

The final episode of TNG confirmed that red uniform Colm Meaney was O'Brien, not the same actor for two different characters

So he went from tactical officer, to conn officer (a post later held by Lt CMDR Data) to transporter chief

At the same time he went from Lieutenant to Ensign to Chief Petty Officer

What did he do to have a career going completely backwards?

>what we got back didn't live long

oh shit!!!!!

that's why Miles calls them spoonheads""!!!!

Why the fuck do they just take any fucker out of their job and make them do some undercover special operation? As far as I know they make all their valuable senior officers do this shit even if they've had zero training in dealing with such things. They sent out someone as valuable as Picard plus his medical officer and security officer behind enemy lines only to have Picard get captured and tortured and they also sent Miles to pose as some tough gangster to catch out some other gangster. I mean what are they thinking? "Oh yes this engineer on a space station on the outskirts of known space, yeah he'll do just fine."

IRL military academies take 1 year

Starfleet Academy took 4. The remaining 3 years were teaching you this shit

He was a good cuck

Don't they have a whole section dedicated to this sort of work? Section 31? It just baffles me that they'd just select any one out of any profession to do such a task. It's like doing jury duty or something... only with a higher stakes.

Section 31 is above top secret. It's not like the Obsidian Order or the Tal Shiar; if there was even the remotest chance of them being detected they didn't use them.

Besides, Starfleet officers are all trained in special ops and all indoctrinated to give their lives at the drop of a hat. Just use them instead

Are you a bartender on a starship on a long trip? Too bad, buddy, guess what? You're going undercover on Cardassia and you're going to rescue a prisoner of war. I hope you brushed up on the Cardassian language otherwise YOU'RE FUCKED.

If that bartender went through 4 years of SF Academy then sure.

>SF = Starfleet
>SF = San Francisco
>Starfleet is based in San Francisco

HOLY SHIT!!!

I mean did any show do this thing good? Is the situation at babylon 5 any better?

why was transporter chief even a job? what could he do that a computer could not?

Even in automated factories you need someone to oversee the automation.

Deepest lore

>why was transporter chief even a job?

Same reason airline pilot is, the machines fuck up

He probably had a provisional rank due to his service in the Cardiassian border skirmish when he served on the Rutledge, and the trauma of the massacre on Sekleth III caused him to seek a quiet post. Then, Data introduces him to Keiko, who gives him the confidence to better himself. Everyone portrays her as this horrible shrill wife, but in context of the show, she made him a better man.

>she made him a better man.
spoken like a true cuck, miles.

Guinan was probably the Julia Child of Starfleet

Guinan was a guest of the Captain. Starfleet probably didn't even know she was on board

How many Cardies did you kill, faggot?

Who was the bigger "did nothing wrong" archetype - Maxwell or Pressman

I bet Miles slit a few Cardie throats in his time eh. Women and children too...they're like animals!

>decorated 15 times for valor

I don't want to imagine some of the shit he did to earn that

His job was literally to murder people. We can't have machines in charge of that.

Transporters don't kill. They take you apart and put you back together

They were a techno-surgeon

Miles is Section 31.

>federation foot solider in cardassian war
>some heroics
>chief petty officer and now tactical officer for a starship
>then is sent to engineering school
>to become a mere transporter technician on the flagship of Star Fleet.
>then sent to latest Deep Space starbase.

Sloan recruited him sometime after the heroics in the Cardassian war. sent him to engineering school on mars to make him a better asset. then put him on the ship that stayed near the romulan neutral zone. until his cover identity started to crack. then transferred miles to a new command to deal with an enemy miles' already knew well.

Pressman fits the archetype, because he was actually breaking the law. Maxwell was doing what every "hero" Starfleet captain does: goes rogue to find the truth. We're just seeing the episode from the wrong perspective.

Killing Cardies and fucking their women, that's how Miles rolls. Of course he'd never tell Keiko.

Makes absolute perfect sense.

Explain him being promoted to Ensign, moved to command track and made a conn officer of the flagship, before being demoted and moved to Operations track to be the transporter chief

>EVERYBODY IS SECTION 31

DS9 is trash, prove me wrong

I watched Sword of Kahless today

Terry Farrel is/was a man right?

If you exclude the final season and the first season, I disagree.

Otherwise, yes.

Ezri fags get out.

that I can't. especially when he was a gold shirt LT at one point too.

as it is displayed in OP's picture.

Nicholas De Boer was a man, that's well known

But Terry seems to want to hide the fact that (s)he had a penis at some point

he could never satisfy Keiko
he was a shit husband

Oh, I didn't make that post to argue about whether transporters kill or not. I've had enough fun with that over the many, many years I've spent inhabiting Trekthreads on Sup Forums's Sup Forums. To me, that's a retired topic. I just wanted to make a throwaway quip which was slightly amusing, at least to me. I've done so. I didn't want your response. Please, no responses to this, either. Just let me post to myself in peace.

transporter accidents can kill people. He probably needs to take years of safety courses and tests to get the job.

Molly said once that Keiko's bajoran friend was around all the time while they were off the station

Keiko cheated on Miles for over a year whilst on that botany expedition

Nothing could satisfy Keiko except a fucking cucumber.

She shouldn't have been up all night drinking.

>yfw you realize the reason Miles and Julian constantly used Quark's holosuites for battle programs was because it was the only way Bashir could treat Miles's homicidal rage and bloodlust, by making O'Brien release it on a regular basis as treatment with Bashir supervising so he could calm Miles down if he went into full "ear-as-trophies mode" and before he went back out into the general population

he's also chief engineer on an advanced experimental warship and got it working properly.

Whatever happened to the Romulan they were supposed to have on board to operate the cloak?

Did they kill her and send fake reports to Romulus?

Yeah, all the constant forays into historical battles like the Alamo or the Battle of Britain... I can just picture all the cussing and savagery on the part of Miles and Bashir just watching in sheer horror but still keeping up that friendly demeanor. "Well done Miles, you got him...that's enough Miles I think he's dead...Miles what are you doing? Oh Okay."

I think she was killed in a fight with the dominion, but I don't really remember that well.

There's no such thing as mental illness or PTSD in the future

TOS confirmed that anyone who can't be fixed mentally is locked away on a planetary asylum

SLoan was Miles the whole time.

I want a Metal Gear Solid holosuite program where Miles is a grizzled old veteran with PTSD like Miller and Garak is a gay spy with a thing for torture and revolvers like Ocelot

They did the Battle of Clontarf where thousands of Irish and Vikings slaughtered each other nearly to the last man.

Yes, no such thing, comrade, I mean it's the 2300s, come on.

"He's dead Miles, you've defeated him, you know we've talked about how you shouldn't rape the bodies afterwards" "no no no, it's ok Chief, you only raped 14 this time that's a marked improvement over the 21 from the last session", it's just, um Chief, we talked about wearing their heads on your hands like boxing gloves, haven't we"

Garak made that entire point when he had the Cardassian xenophobia steroids in him that one episode and wanted to kill everyone.

O'Brien is a warrior at heart. He can't deny it.

>Leeta has been in one episode for maybe 90 seconds
>Dax considers her a close enough friend to take part in her psychic schizophrenia ceremony

Why not Jake? Or fucking Morn - she is always saying how much she likes Morn and it could have been a good chance to hear his voice without "him" speaking.

Why Leeta, who we've barely seen before and don't see again for about 20 episodes.

"So Miles, you want to play some darts later?"

"Oh no, can't, I have a transducter conduit to fix for Captain Sisko, he's been breathing down my neck about it for a whole week. I'd better get it done or I'll never hear the end of it." he says while skinning a Cardassian.

Of course, he's Irish.

Garak was fucking mad Miles was Bashir's new BFF

fact they play darts and not something like ping-pong supports it even more. O'Brien's probably killed a dozen men with a few darts

In Garak's defense, he never had any time because he was too busy being a Federation lapdog the other 95% of the time.

And O'Brien was the only one that truly did not give a crap about Bashir's little..."secret"

Him acting paranoid about the woman who beat him in medical school was fucking crazy in hindsight, knowing he was an augment and therefore failed on purpose

Everything pre-reveal felt kind of weird once you looked back afterwards.

I HAD A GUARANTEED COMMAND ON THE ENTERPRISE
WOMEN IN UNIFORMS
ANDROID FIRST OFFICERS
WHO CARES IF IT WORKED OR NOT?

Except he made Bashir play darts a little further back from the line so that the game was a little more balanced.

I wonder how many bets Miles lost over that.

"Tell you what, Bashir (hicc), if you win this one, I'll let you shag Keiko, but if I win, I get to slam your boypussy"

>when you realize O'Brien had Section 31 orders to "accidentally" out Bashir so that he would be open to recruitment

What kills me is that episode where they are in prison, and Garak has to deal with his claustrophobia so he can send out a message. Julian could have saved Garak almost passing out from terror if he just said something about his enhanced intelligence and rewired things to send a message out himself.

He was in a lot of life-or-death situations where he could have used his augment power without being discovered but didn't. Including being captured by the dominion.

what's it like being married?

How does it feel knowing you can never swallow Sid's shaft?

i've seen during my time in the US Army, a captain demote himself to Chief Warrant Officer 3. He didn't want to deal with the stuff staff officers did or have to hold a command position. he just wanted to fly helicopters.

Holy shit, you were in 'nam?

So was Bashir as calculatingly brilliant as those other genetically enhanced spergs from the DS9 episodes?

Or was he just slightly more intelligent than the average bear, with some above-average hand-eye?

just as intelligent but was able to hide his power level.

>forgetting the most important part of his career
>gutting spoonheads

He was Data-tier, not super autismo whatever-tier

Really? Then he basically could have predicted any conflict they had ever gotten into. That's essentially what those autismos did, with just some very generic circumstantial info.

I never really got that he was Data-tier. Just extremely smart.

The Cardassian occupation of bajor ended shortly after Miles reappaered in Cardassian space.

Cardassian children are told to behave or the Irishman will come and get them.

Local Julian Bashir expert here.

He was Data-tier, but was very good at hiding it. His entire character arc starting with his first meeting with Garak, and later after joining Section 31, is about perception, lying, and the truth.

Sarina was the smartest, but she was a cunt and didn't deserve him.

>O'Brien is the Cardassian boogieman

the Augments' strength was abstract and intuitive thinking. Data's strength is sheer processing power.

Have this really gay clip where Garak compares him to a Vulcan.

youtube.com/watch?v=PKtXYbYbP9o

>Miles is trapped inside his own head watching himself die

Goodnight and sleep tight for the magic Irishman will make the evil cloud go away.

Bashir comes back.
>Everyone is disappointed since he seemed to be getting over his autism before.

dang

Sarina was enlightened. I was half-expecting her to go Khan-tier evil conquest somehow. Was disappointed she didn't.

>leeta left Bashir, a genetic superhuman, for Rom
wew

this episode was quite the laugh

Rom invented the cloaked self-replicating minefield

He was a fucking turbo-genius with a massive cock

Do you think Rom wished he was human?
Having to be a Ferengi in that society with that genius probably sucked.

Just like that Ferengi scientist that invented the shielding that allowed you to go into a Sun's corona in TNG.