What the hell happened

What the hell happened

"""reality""" tv

cable is dead as a whole user. The only salvageable channels are hbo and FX

reality tv

Can anyone tell me WHY THE FUCK HBO bought Sesame Street? I know I'm a loser and even on Sup Forums nobody replies to my posts and ignores me but that business move still baffles me

Deadliest Catch stranded a million camera crews in Alaska, spurring the Homestead Channel.

Don't you love old white guys living in the snow? Don't you?

>LOOKS LIKE THIS SPIDER
>SHOULD HAVE PRAYED
>TO THE MANTIS

they want to add more sex and nudity into it

they're just giving the public what they want

all the educational stuff went to Nat Geo and History channels

>History channel
>educational
Choose fucking one (1)

>History Channel
>Educational

I just watched a History channel show about fat men buying tin cans, and another that said the US has an intergalactic armada named after the Majestic 12.

Ah yes the lives of Alaskan truck drivers, very educational

>YEAH ME AND FATSHIT HERE ARE AT THIS OLD GUY'S FARM
>WE DIDNT REALLY CALL AHEAD OR ANYTHING BUT LETS SEE IF HE DOESNT SHOOT US FOR TRESPASSING ON HIS PROPERTY
>>fatshit and nu-male walk into old man's shed while he's playing jugband music with a friend
>>old man looks at them like they're niggers who just walked into a Klan meeting looking for da white wimminz
>HEY THERE OLD TIMER WE WERE DRIVING BY AND WONDERED IF WE COULD BUY SOME OF YOUR SHIT
>ILL GIVE YOU $8000 FOR THAT OLD GAS PUMP

didnt know history went to shit since i ditched cable a few years ago.

b-b-but nat geo is still good r-r-right?

Man I remember not having the channel and going to my friend's place whenever a dinosaur documentary was advertised
Dinosaur Planet is one of the most underrated dino documentaries ever

>dare I say
>dinokino

Nat Geo is okay, yeah.

NatGeo was home to the Dog Whisperer

I mean its still more or less kind of educational but they also have dipped their toe into the "reality show" pool with the Dog Wheesperer. Most of the educational content they have nowadays is educating you on the drug trade and "the streets"

So Elmo can fuck hookers

My world view has been expanded by leaps and bounds after watching the daring documentary of Mountain Men.

Watching old bearded men drive snowmobiles through featureless wilderness while reminiscing on their lifestyle has done more for my brain than a documentary on Medieval England ever could.

YOU AND ME BABY AIN'T NOTHING BUT MAMMALS

natgeo is OK, nat geo wild is still good.

Just finished mars. It was interesting because it kept flipping between drama and documentary format.

They're buying the good TV shows so you have to buy HBO to watch anything anymore.

You're not wrong. They always have to overdo it.

DUDE ALASKA LMAO

the whole nature show thing feels kind of old now and they dont even show the animals doing it anymore.

Are there any non-meme answers for this or is it genuinely just "jews want to degenerate children even further"

I mean this kind of makes sense on its face, but who the fuck watches Sesame Street besides the "8 month to 5 year old" demographic

DUDE MUH HOMESTEAD

MUH WILD BUSH PEOPLE

Have a (you)

It's so people have to buy HBO for their children to watch passable TV.

That phrase is reserved exclusively for Jurassic Park 1 and WWD

HBO always had some pretty solid programming for kids, and they were the ones who aired fraggle rock fucking forever ago.
I remember growing up with that and rainbow bright, encyclopedia, and the wizard of oz cartoons. Probably more I'm forgetting.

>implying

History channel went to pure reality shows before discovery though. Nat Geo lasted a bit longer.

Nat geo had 10 reality shows about gypsy families and the Amish. Including one called Amish Mafia.

>12 seasons of Ancient Aliens
>educational

fuck man... those channels used to be comfy as fuck.

So how did it happen? Did the channel execs just realize there's a lot more money in churning out a million different takes on pawnstars than having to research?

First they realized that playing nothing but WW2 videos was $$$ but then they realized that reality TV with the occasional historical fact was $$$$$$$$

Reality shows are cheap as fuck to produce, and mouth breathing retards flock to them.

They also had a lot of civil war stuff with the occasional WWI or revolutionary war as well.
If you go back in time everything that wasn't broadcast television was the ghetto. They didn't worry about ratings because you really didn't have any competition, you just needed access to markets, and as long as some people were watching no one really cared.
Early 00's saw a handful of shows legitimizing cable as a real draw away from networks. People were drifting away from the networks, and the total number of channels was expanding so there's less and less of the pie to split, so they need more things to get an edge.

Fluoride

the general population stopped caring about history and educational shows, all they care about is cheap entertainment. in other words '''reality''' tv

Same shit that happened to Anime Planet.

Subscriptions and ratings decline force them into shitty reality TV shows that don't really have anything to do with the channel's original nature.

I mean, who the fuck watches Animal Planet for fish tank building and tree houses?

Nooooo not Anime Planet

anyone else watching the Unabomber show?

They did this because they ran out of funds for the show, so they sold themselves to HBO. The PBS network will still get to air these new episodes too, but like a year or two after they've
aired on HBO.