Man of Steel

Honest opinion: Man of Steel is the best Superman movie Ever Made.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VlINHSnUx9k?t=29s
youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM
youtube.com/watch?v=jSjI7gwuKtg
youtube.com/watch?v=QUUGDRxJnFU
youtube.com/watch?v=hXsqsZ7xbjM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can you give me some reasons why you liked it?

Because Superman is a straight white male.

it definitely is the best superman movie. A pretty good Scifi movie too

I liked it fuck tv/

Well i like it because it's just cool, cool fight scenes and music, cool suit, cool enemy, The terraformer makes a cool Reaper-like sound which is cool, The plot is bretty simple so you don't have to really think or anything while watching the movie.

superma 78 is the greatest CapeFilm ever made and frankly its not close. Anyone who says anything different is either a) underage or b) illiterate in the language of Cinema

I agree. I love the old Donner films, but they were about a completely different angle on the character. Donner's films had zero interest in exploring Clark Kent growing into his role, and instead gave us fully-realized Superman.

Snyder's Superman is far more human, far less a power fantasy, and instead delves into the things that really make the character intriguing. He's his world's First Contact scenario, a figure synonymous with otherworldly superhuman power who is also a simple farm boy from Kansas.

I will always love this movie.

I don´t have to think while watching a movie?
.Jesus Christ this is masterpiece.

Dcucks are deluded

>He's his world's First Contact scenario

I think the movie would have been better if this is actually what it was. Show the world's reaction to Superman and make the central thing. Not the jumbled mess we ended up getting.

Superman always has the same boring face the entire movie.
Zod was just laughable.
And the fights are pointless.

Superman Returns is objectively better

*and make that the central thing

It's the best SUPERHERO movie ever made.

I like it partially because of what this guy said But also because it shows how hard it can be to be good in the real world, and how hard it can be to do the most possible good, and how sometimes we mess up but thats okay as long as you try to do good again.

but it was the central thing, and then BvS kept going with that theme even more. You sound stupid.

I mean all the Superman movies suck, so it's not a very high bar to clear.

superman going into the computer crystal was kind of a cheat to give us a fully developed superman.
Then again the film takes more than half the run time to finally get to Superman.
The only criticism i can think of the Donner film is that its a lot more "tongue in cheek" than the character is usually shown in the comics

Nah, you're wrong. Support your argument.

Sure if you're a brainlet child of videogames

I don't think it was. Too much of the film focused on a very dull origin story, and then mishandled the main villain. There were some scenes that did address the "First Contact" thing, and they were great (Superman agreeing to wear handcuffs purely to reassure the military, for example). We needed more of them.

Only if you're a millennial.

The best of all is Superman II (1980).

Man of 7/11 is great! Don't forget to shop at Walmart!

That's very well put.

>using cool 6 times in 2 lines

Hi Zack, your movie was shit

Superman isn´t interesting, his only reliable characteristics are his powers and origin.

Zod is just hilarious, the way he starts screaming for no reason and his line delivery is fantastically bad.

ANd since Superman can´t be killed (since they need the asshole alive for more revenue) the fights were just pointless, they were there just to show CGI effects (and those look bad too).

Nah you're just wrong man, support your argument with actual examples because right now you are just spouting your oponion and you seem uninformed.

It was an origin story and I didnt think there was anything dull about it, and I dont think they mishandled the villain at all. He was a great mirror to Superman--both giving the world their "first contact" but from completely different sides. They both wanted to connect to their kryptonian heritage and honor that heritage but they did so in different ways. Zod wanted to bring back the world he knew in its full glory, Kal wanted to help this new one (his foster home) not make the same mistakes Krypton did.

And ironically, on a physical level they are opposites. Zod wants to physically create a new world while Superman wants to protect the one thats already there.

Its pretty great imo.

i loved it. i love his scenes with his parents, i loved jonathan kent being a realistic, salt of the earth protective father, i love him sticking up for the waitress, i loved him underwater recalling his mother's advice, i loved his interaction with his father on the ship i loved his father reassuring him what his house symbol means, i loved the opening scenes on krypton especially with his mother, i loved him standing in the sunlight before lifting off the ground, i love how he surrendered to the army, i love how Zod will never stop, i love that clark has to stop him, i love that he cries on Lois's shoulder. I love that Perry won't leave his employee to die. I love how it ties into BVS, the towers falling down. I love how the soldiers end up fighting alongside Superman.

I love Man of Steel.

Donner's Superman is very in-tune with his depiction in Silver Age comics - campy and self-aware, but still a hero through and through. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a depiction focusing on that, but I think it's a mistake to embrace it as the golden standard.

Also, Reeve did a fantastic job.

If yours is just an opinion as well, they how are so sure you´re on the right?

No

>villain wants to destroy the earth
>hero wants to save it

Damn you're right! Snyder is really an underappreciated genius.

you're really dumb.
You didnt provide any evidence for why Superman isn't interesting, let alone anything from the movie itself. And somehow you realte interesting to reliable character traits? Even though those two things arent related at all--becuase you're dumb.

Zod doesn't scream for no reason, again something you would know if you actually payed attention and weren't a dumb ass.

And your comment with the fight thing is absolutely retarded seeing as how they killed Superman in the second movie, and by your dumb logic ANY fight with a main franchise character is uninteresting because we know said franchise character will live.

By your dumb logic any fight in LOTOR involving the hobbits is pointless because we know Frodo and Sam will reach the mountain .
In summary, your mother should have aborted you.

Very true.
>You will travel far, my little Kal-El. But we will never leave you... even in the face of our death. You will carry me inside you, all the days of your life. You will make my strength your own, and see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father, and the father the son. This is all I... all I can send you, Kal-El.

There is more authenticity in this line than any capeshit flick made since ang lees hulk

>Reeve did a fantastic job
Reeve did the best job of depicting superman and clark.

One of my favourite scenes is when he switches from clark to superman while talking to Lois, and you can see his expression changing, his posture, his voice. He pulled that off really well.

"The most boring Superman movie ever made."*

Fixed.

/thread

its sad that you have to be reductive and make meme jokes because you cant actually engage with what was said and aren't willing to try and actually look and examine the motivations but forth.

Most action movies and superhero movies can be reduced to the levels you put forth which just highlights how retarded you are because you submitted the statement thinking it was somehow a novel though.

Further, the fact that you think Snyder wrote the movie serves to puncuate how mentally deficent you are.

Life has to suck for you.

I didn't think it was very good overall, but there were a few scenes that I really enjoyed.

youtu.be/VlINHSnUx9k?t=29s

What do you think about that empty hibernation pos Clark saw on the scoutship? I really, really hope that bears some fruit.

>/thread/ing your own post

what kind of chucklefuck argument is that? "Hurr durr how can you be sure if you are right if they are all just opinions!!"

I actually cite parts of the movie ti support why I think its good. You just say "well its boring because it is okay!!!!" like a drooling tard.

agreed

I actually watched Man of Steel for the first time a month ago. People always point to the endless loud CGI clusterfuck of an ending as the reason it's a terrible movie, but even more egregious to me were the first 45 minutes. You get ping-ponged from Krypton, to the oil rig disaster, to flashbacks with child Clarke, to Lois Lane's investigation and the military discovery of the ship, all in this ridiculously paced, totally graceless way where it doesn't feel like any scene is meaningfully building off what preceded it.

Halfway through the movie I realized I had no idea what I thought of Henry Cavill's performance as Superman, because Superman as a character gets so lost in the jumble of plotting. The reason the climactic action scenes are so tiresome is because you were never given any reason to care in the first place.

supergirl

I unironically agree with this. Though im only 19 and dont have any nostalgia for previous supermans

It's a visual masterpiece. Snyder ties the literal aspect of Kal's birth to the figurative meaning of Superman's symbolic birth.

youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM

Everyone should watch this if they want a lesson in how to study visual storytelling.

He sure as hell did. I love that scene so much.

>Most action movies and superhero movies can be reduced to the levels you put forth

And that's why they are shit most of the time, just like man of steel. Don't be all salty user it's just a movie. A pretty bad one.

Reeve did a perfect job but its not how Superman was shown in the Silver/Bronze age at all. They were kids comics from the 60s so an adult would see them as goofy but they weren't campy (like Adam West Batman was).

The stuff in the comics were silly (ex. SuperPets) but the characters always took it 100% seriously. Superman was shown to suffer from guilt (from both his parents being dead). He constantly felt deject in ever comic where he gets replaced (a common occurrence)

I don't think anyone is as salty as you with your neverending obsession with these threads.

>I really really need to show this anime forum I have great taste in film every thread ever

How can you guys like that shit? Its one of the least faithful versions of Superman's origin ever. In no comic version is he taken away from the world for the majoirty of his young adult hood to be trained by AI Jor El in an attempt to make a blatant jesus metaphor. And before you fucking get your panties in a bunch both Donner and the writers have said several times in inteviews that they were intentionally trying to make their Superman as much like Jesus as possible.

Whats even worse is that Pa Kent just dies for no fucking reason and Clark (who has established super speed) doesnt even TRY to save him or get him to a hospital. And then he just finds a glowing rock and decides to change his entire life based on a single glowing rock.
Also where the fuck does Lex get the kryptonite from? How does he even know itll work?

Lastly, it is NOT like the silver age comics in anyway except for the high-concept ending--but even that can be seen in almost all eras of Superman comics. In the Silver Age Superman was a petty fuck that would create clones of himself and then destroy him because he got jealous how good they were at saving people. He would partake in elaborate initiation rituals/pranks with the LoSH. He would go to extreme lenths to keep secrets from his closest friends for contrived and mean reasons.

Stop pretending like you people are Superman fans.

Wait do I know you

>that image
I remember when I thought countre jour made everything look artistic. I was 15 or so and sin city had just came out.

modern fans can complain about superman turning back time but its most moving scene ever put in a SuperHero movie

I remember learning my first French phrase and using it stubbornly in every Sup Forums thread ever to point out that I'm in fact maybe older than 15.

its sad that you cant pay attention to what is basically just three parallel timelines. And all of the scenes are pretty purposefully placed.

>mass replyer

fuck off

>countre jour
there are literally only two of those in that cinegrid you stupid pleb

I agree that the film has a lot of flaws. Clark going into the fortress and coming out as superman is one of the biggest for me.

I was only praising Reeve for his performance as clark and superman within the films.

>hurr durr i cant actually argue against you so im gunna pretened like you violated board cultur XD

you fuck off you mistake

your parents regret having you every second you live

Man of Steel contains the most powerful scene ever put on film in any superhero film.

youtube.com/watch?v=jSjI7gwuKtg

I could watch this a million times and still feel something stir inside me.

yeah Reeves was a great Clark, as far as the version they were going for.

It's very easy to dislike all the prior Superman movies especially if you're under 45. That's not a rag on old movies that's a rag on old Superman movies.

Pa (and ma) kent always DIE for no fucking reason.
They died from a fucking some germs found in a pirate buried treasure chest. Superboy had all his powers and couldn't save them.
Pa died right there. His super speed wouldn't have helped.

(though its true it wasn't all that close to the comics. I hated the Crystal Power Fortress from a design perspective and am always annoyed when modern writers use )

>that never ceasing pulse getting closer and closer
>that facial change
>his lone figure storming into the inevitable
very powerful

>Halfway through the movie I realized I had no idea what I thought of Henry Cavill's performance as Superman, because Superman as a character gets so lost in the jumble of plotting. The reason the climactic action scenes are so tiresome is because you were never given any reason to care in the first place.

Oh and also I think this is what people are mainly responding to with the ending's carnage and Superman killing Zod. It's not that those things are objectionable in and of themselves, it's that you don't FEEL the narrative throughline that would make you give a fuck about Earth suffering the same fate as Krypton, or Superman having to choose to use his powers for destruction. If it were well-dramatized it could work, but the movie's so fucking atonal and weird that when Superman kills Zod it plays the same way it would if that were the first scene in the movie and we had no idea who these characters are and it's just this moment of violence occurring in a vacuum.

Movie in mycket opinion is full of powerfull scenes, when he snaps Zod's beck, takes flight etc.

Yeah, this goes for me, too. Donner's films are a pretty idealized depiction of the character and just nostalgia in its purest form, even when they were brand new. Donner's depiction of the character sort of represents a simpler, purer era in American history. It's no accident that Kansas looks like Dorothy and Toto could be living down the road from the Kents.

>Pa (and ma) kent always DIE for no fucking reason.

Not true, there are plenty of versions and stories where one or neither of them are dead. Good job showing your plebiness. And in MoS, Pa Kent died teaching Clark by example--putting his life on the line to save a creature lesser than him (a dog) and protecting his son's secret.

>They died from a fucking some germs found in a pirate buried treasure chest. Superboy had all his powers and couldn't save them.

Thats one single example. I could just as easily cite ASS where Pa Kent dying has this grand cosmic importance to Superman--to the point where he travels back in time to see him again. But that wasnt my point, what I said about him dying for no reason is more like it didnt even teach Clark anything. He wasnt too late to save his dad, he wasnt taught by example, he just let his dad die.

>Pa died right there. His super speed wouldn't have helped.
He was actively having a heart attack, he could have suped ran him to the hospital. The worst part is clark didnt even TRY to do anything and he didnt even have the excuse of listening to his father's wishes or having a baby in his hands like in MoS.

Fuck off nerd

Because it means you are new to cinema because you are clearly just inside the gates, meanwhile others are much further in, they feel superior to you, and rightly so.

You're retarded if you think any Superman movies even comes close to the Richard Donner films.

>86279394
>Snyder's Superman is far more human
lmao

Yeah, nah. Man of Steel and BvS are complete garbage. fuck Sup Forums is so shit.

the MoS death was just as stupid. If Pa kent had enough time to run over and get the dog then Clark sure as hell did as well.
In fact, being younger, with an obviously athletic body, he could have run over much faster, got the dog out and got back without anyone even questioning it.
There was literally no reason for him not to be the one to get the dog

It's like watching a space launch. It gets me every single time.

And you're a fucking nerd

you didnt make any argument at all, you just said your opinion as if it was fact, which makes you look like a tool AND an idiot.

>he cant even link to posts correctly

holy shit being this new!

also you didnt even make an argument, which is really sad. Are you so dumb you cant even actually articulate WHY you think that other poster is wrong?

Donner's films aren't human. They portray cartoon characters in a cartoon world. Snyder actually portrays the negatives of being a super-powered alien. Donner failed at portraying the isolation Superman faces. In Donner's Superman, an almost all-powerful alien can exist without many questioning or even reacting that much to his presence.

are you blind or just retarded? Pa had given Clark a baby to hold on to and told him to make sure the people in the overpass were okay (which makes sense, because the retards went to an overpass in a tornado like the hillbillies they are). He didn't have super speed yet (as far as we know), was holding a baby, and was following his father's orders. No one had any reason to believe he would suddenly be sucked up in a tornado--which if you've ever been in one you would know is almost unpredictable.

youtube.com/watch?v=QUUGDRxJnFU

youtube.com/watch?v=hXsqsZ7xbjM

i love both of these scenes. that's all i'll say. and i'm sorry if any of you are hurt by watching them.

>dying for no reason is just as stupid as dying whille be being an example to your super child and saving a baby and then a dog at the same time.

nah

>citing examples from after the 78 movie came out
the silver/bronze age version died from a germ in a pirate treasure chest.

>he could have done stuff
no...he couldn't . it was written into the movie that he died. That was the point. That superman couldn't save everyone (also it marked the end of that point in his life where he takes his dads advice to learn why he was on Earth ...not to just kick footballs)
as far as I recall young clark was shown to be moderately faster than a train. Not moving at light speed (as in the comics)

I'm going to point this out because I think it's really important to the character. The Kents were doing their dead-level best to raise Clark as if he weren't any different from any other kid. Jonathon died holding true to that.

I wouldn't expect my child to risk their life, either figuratively or literally, for me either. I'd have done exactly the same thing that Jonathon did, and ultimately, the choice to act was always in Clark's own hands.

You must be new here.

I'm saying he didn't need to give him a baby to hold, or have him make sure the people in the overpass were okay.

He doesn't have tornado stopping powers, does he? And Pa kent wants to keep his identity secret, so what the fuck would he do if the overpass came down on everyone?

There was literally 0 reason for Pa to be the one to go and get the dog other than to have a reason for him to die in some contrived heroic way that idiots liek you would eat up and find ridiculous meaning in.

Being an example of what? a retard?
>Hey my indestructible son who is faster than me, and stronger than me, and could easily get the dog and be back safe with everyone else in a few minutes, let me go get the dog and die stupidly lol

That mountaintop scene is never not going to get me.

>The Kents were doing their dead-level best to raise Clark as if he weren't any different from any other kid.
Definitely. That's one of the things that makes Superman who he is, and it was well done.

>Jonathon died holding true to that.
>I wouldn't expect my child to risk their life, either figuratively or literally, for me either.

This is where I disagree. I understand wanting to raise Clark as a normal kid, but in a situation where you are going to die unless he acts, it's foolish to not let him act. Especially when you know for a fact that he will be unharmed no matter what happens.

Fuck off john campea
fuck off Fat Andre
fuck off film gobb.

This is why I love Superman. His relationship to his parents is so geniune and powerful. That mountain scene is my favorite scene in BvS. It plays both into what a wise role model Jonathan is but also how he guides Superman even in death while Lex and Bruce are falling deeper and deeper into despair being deprived of fathers.

The aspect of parenting goes over too many heads in BvS. Snyder tells a very personal story on how lost the adult child becomes without guiding principles imprinted in you. He loves to put a vital human touch on these heroes.

>all these captchas
christ i wish

You are intentionally missing the point and ignoring parts of my argument just so you can "Win" and its sad as fuck my dude.

How do you think any of what you said addresses this

>But that wasnt my point, what I said about him dying for no reason is more like it didnt even teach Clark anything. He wasnt too late to save his dad, he wasnt taught by example, he just let his dad die.
>The worst part is clark didnt even TRY to do anything and he didnt even have the excuse of listening to his father's wishes or having a baby in his hands like in MoS.
I really hate retards like you that just invalidate the whole conversation because instead of actually engaging with what was said, you just boil the argument down to strawmen like >he could have done stuff
which wasnt what i was saying. I was saying clark should have TRIED because a heart attack isnt immediate death and Clark is the kind of person (especially in the donner movies) who would try in that scenario.
Also its even sadder how pedantic you are being with the
>well that came out after the movie so it doesnt count!!!

when it entirely misses the point of why i brought that example up. I wasnt trying to say that influenced the movie, i was saying that the ASS version was a good example of how to write Pa Kent dying in a way that matters.

Also you are fucking wrong btw, in Superman #53 they say the kents die of natural causes (this was the same origin story as him being in an orphanage before being adopted by the Kents).

This comes before the pirate treasure story.

If you are going to be a pedantic cunt, at least be correct about it.

No I paid attention fine, I get exactly what Nolan/Goyer/Snyder were going for, I'm just saying they went about it in an ineffectual, shitty way.

God you are so dumb it really hurts.

>I'm saying he didn't need to give him a baby to hold, or have him make sure the people in the overpass were okay.

What why? Why wouldnt you give the baby to the most industructible person there?

>And Pa kent wants to keep his identity secret, so what the fuck would he do if the overpass came down on everyone?

Obviously if it came down to it, Clark would use his powers to save them. That is the very reason why Pa Kent told him to make sure the people are okay. How do you have this hard of a time understanding BASIC logic?

>There was literally 0 reason for Pa to be the one to go and get the dog

What? He was the one closest to the dog and had already given the child to Clark. Why do you expect people to think autistically like you in a crisis situation? Why do you expect Pa Kent to NOT put his life on the line to save the dog? Do you not know anything about the character? By your logic Batman should never do anything ever because Superman exists. Your logic is that if a super person exists, why should a common person ever both doing anything heroic or saving anyone else? Its pretty dumb.

>why was a heroic person doing something heroic?

>why did he want his industriclbe son to protect the masses and children instead of the single dog he was perfectly capable of saving himself?

this is how retarded you sound. Its like you expect everyone to just have known the tornado was going to suddenly pick up.

>Obviously if it came down to it, Clark would use his powers to save them
And yet he doesn't to save his dad? Makes you wonder.

>Why wouldnt you give the baby to the most industructible person there?
So him having the baby made it safer? How is he supposed to save everyoen else if he is holding a baby?

>Hey we are both standing next to eachother and could save the dog
>It doesn't make a difference if either of us carries this baby over to it's parents
>But like, I guess I'll risk my life for hte dog lol, even though there is literally 0 risk for you doing it

It's fucking stupid, and no amount of mental gymnastics from you will make it less stupid.

>I'm just saying they went about it in an ineffectual, shitty way.

no you arent, you are saying you couldnt pay attention to the multiple timelines and couldnt understand why certain scenes were placed the way they were.

If you could, you would be explaining it and then explain WHY and HOW you thought they were innefctual. Instead you said this.
> get ping-ponged from Krypton, to the oil rig disaster, to flashbacks with child Clarke, to Lois Lane's investigation and the military discovery of the ship, all in this ridiculously paced, totally graceless way where it doesn't feel like any scene is meaningfully building off what preceded it.
>y where it doesn't feel like any scene is meaningfully building off what preceded it.

Which you then contradict with

> I get exactly what Nolan/Goyer/Snyder were going for,

so either you did understand what they were going for or you didnt and it doesnt feel like any scene is meaningfully building off what preceded it. Because if you did understand then you wouldnt have felt like it wasnt building off what preceded it.

Im sorry basic logic is so hard for you.

> it's that you don't FEEL the narrative throughline that would make you give a fuck about Earth suffering the same fate as Krypton, or Superman having to choose to use his powers for destruction.

Maybe you dont, but us that dont have ADD and can actually pay attention sure did.

Also you are retarded if you think > Superman having to choose to use his powers for destruction.

was the point of that. It was that he had to kill the last of his kind because he was just too stubborn to try and make peace and was actively trying to commit genocide. IT was about Superman taking his first life and putting the fate of both Krypton and Earth squarely on his shoulders from that point forward.

>And yet he doesn't to save his dad? Makes you wonder.

Holy shit how are you this dumb? He didnt have/know he had super speed yet.

>So him having the baby made it safer?

Yes

>How is he supposed to save everyoen else if he is holding a baby?

In any number of ways. Are you so dumb and have so little imagination you can picture Superman shielding multiple people with his body or lifting up falling rubble with one hand? Or you cant even imagine Superman using his super strength to bend metal to create a kind of barrier? Really? You are this creaively stunted?

>Hey we are both standing next to eachother and could save the dog

They weren't, Pa Kent was closer to the dog.

>It doesn't make a difference if either of us carries this baby over to it's parents
But thats not what happened, they had no idea where the parents were. Clark was holding the baby the entire time. Good job showing that you cant pay attention to the simplest of details.

And your entire argument breaks down because CLARK WAS PROTECTING THE PEOPLE AND THE BABY. Why is this so hard for you to understand? Clark, the super powered one, was protecting the masses whule Pa went to go save the one dog. It would be wildly more irresponsible to do it the other way around, This plays into the CORE theme of both movies being the struggle to do the most possible good and said good deeds having unintended consequences.