Only God Forgives

All the Refn hatred aside, what does Sup Forums think of Only God Forgives? And why do people generally think it's way worse than Drive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Rz9SAZQrH0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_auteurs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Drive actually has a story. OGF is boring.

It´s obnoxious.

the trailer was even more misleading than drives, people were hoping for it to be drive 2: bangkok boogaloo, but ryan was something of a villain instead.

Ogf actually has a good story. Drive is boring.

Drive had a decent plot and an acceptable ending

OGF had even more autistic pausing and slow pacing. A shit tier attempt to be "artful".
The Driver in Drive actually gave you an indication of what his morals were.
In OGF we had no idea what this robotic dude even was. Just a Mommy's boy psychopath.

Plebs were expecting Drive 2

>TAKE IT OFF

after that I thought why the fuck should I root for anything this guy does

It's a decent movie.

I like drive more though.

>No indication of what his morals were
>Mommy's boy psychopath
Heh, maybe think through your post next time.

>And why do people generally think it's way worse than Drive?

Because nu-refn is a hack and couldn't make a worthwhile movie to save his life. Drive was a rare moment.

>trying to discuss a movie you don't even understand
lol stick to your wes anderson threads kid

>"I'm a fucking retard who didn't understand the film. Don't believe it, let me prove it to you."

At least, try to fully understand the film you're trying to criticize instead of relying on a purely stupid comprehension.

You fucking cocksucking retard, you actually claim Ryan Gosling's character is a psychopath, yet he's to be the only member of his family concerned with morality. Which is why he's fascinated by Chang who appears to be considered like a God. How can you expect us to take your opinion seriously when you can't even comprehend a film which relies on basic symbolism?

I've always wondered: why would a man challenge God to a fistfight?

I thought it was brilliant.

Why would anyone see this movie?

Wanna fight?

I really like it, aesthetically pleasing and unconventional in its storytelling in a way that didn't feel forced. Now in the context of his filmography it does feel like a bit of a point of transition between Drive and Neon Demon, but I think I actually enjoy it more than the former and A LOT more than the latter.

Haha, (You)

This was utter kino, 99% of the people who disliked it hate it because the trailer while brilliant was misleading and made it look like it was going to be a pulse pounding Bangkok action flick which is the exact opposite of what it was

It's patrician cinema

Because they aren't plebs? Refn is an auteur, maybe not the greatest, but still a director with an image and passion.

I love this film. It's just autistically driven by visuals and silence. It's like the Anti-Drive. And Julian has 17 lines if I remember correctly.

>tarkovsky's solaris

Because it's way fucking worse than Drive.Trying so hard to be artsy with the sperg shots but it just doesn't have a place in the world.It actually is Drive 2 by the way, he bit hi s Drive aesthetic just because people loved it but fucked up when he didn't even know what to do with this movie.

Refn himself says he didn't even know what he was supposed to do when he was making this movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=6Rz9SAZQrH0

This movie is a tryhard pretentious piece of shit and you have autism.

I love refns filmography, but OGF just comes off as all style and no substance. I really like the imagery and cinematography but thats it. Drive i think had it all, good script, cinematography, acting, soundtrack you name it

Norbit was shit.

Only God Forgives was a masterpiece though

"I have a crush on ryan gosling" was his motivation for the movie

Style is substance. Way to out yourself.

>an auteur needs a purpose
Why are you so mad? Is it because it's not capeshit enough for you? Sorry if being presumptuous, but you come off as a real capeshit connoisseur.

That's how you know Only God Forgives is a good film, it's comparable to Solaris, The 400 Blows, Problem Child 2, Her, 2001, Blazing Saddles, Pluto Nash, the Fantastic Four films, That's My Boy, The Room, Eraserhead, and El Verdugo.

By substance i mean an actual plot that flows nicely. By style i mean just the visuals. Dont know if in english you actually equate the two as being the same

>autistic Dans are auteur now

you sound 350lbs and sweaty

>anyone who replies to me is the same poster
calm your autism down nu-refn fan. I don't give a fuck about this trash enough to care this much lmao

Drive was a great film. Only God Forgives was an amazing film. Haven't watched The Neon Demon though. Is it any good?

Because man is arrogant.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_auteurs
>Nicolas Winding Refn[74]

Refn's worst film. but he came back with the masterpiece Neon Demon

You know anyone can edit a wikipedia article and being an auteur is subjective unlike you being a sperg.

Except I am the maintainer of the article, and I will swiftly revert any unsourced and otherwise blatant troll edits, and ban the IP. And Refn is literally an auteur by definition, unlike Hollywood director's who work on capeshit, etc.

It did give us My Life Directed By Nicolas Winding Refn, so it was worth it or that.

>He doesn't know what a word means
>Pretends he does

nice samefagging retard

You're the retard.

>ip change

nice retard

Is The Neon Demon a good film? I'm quite interested in watching that one

One of my favorite movies of all time. Engrossing af. Wonderful fucking film. Anyone who likes it is my enemy.

I thought it was better than neon demon, about on par with valhalla rising but worse than drive. I haven't seen any of his other films.

>people acting high brow and using buzzwords about nu-refn when his last good non pleb high iq movie was Pusher II

umm lol?

>Projecting this hard
Anyway, Google will tell you what auteur means. Use that next time and avoid looking like a Fedora tipper.

>Refn himself says he didn't even know what he was supposed to do when he was making this movie.
This is in absolutely no way a valid critique.

>Anyway, Google will tell you what auteur means. Use that next time and avoid looking like a Fedora tipper.
>tips fedora

Someone explain this movie to me. Apparently there is some deep stuff going on in it. I thought it was kinda meh.

It doesn't seem like cinema is for you, I think what you would like is "a novel".

Did you just not watch Pusher III (best film in series) or something?

It's pretty clear cut: it's about God, sins, and forgiveness. The Goose is forgiven, but pays for his sins.

Gosling is a criminal and the Asian dude plays the role of God in punishing the wicked

>tips fedora

So the Neon Demon. Has anyone already watched that film?

It's easy to compare Only God Forgives to Drive because of Gosling and the similar visuals but only superficial. It's much more a film like Valhalla Rising, both in pace and in the way the story is told.

what the fuck is this chart?

>Already

So, was it any good?

bait.

Pretty enjoyable. Not his best.

>Julian likes to handcuff himself to chairs and watch Asian girls finger themselves because his mother bullies him.

It is cuckcore.

>girls

DISROBE

I think it's the equal of Drive if not its superior. People think it's worse because they didn't realize Drive was an art film and got panicked when they saw the Thai credits on this one.

>All the Refn hatred aside, what does Sup Forums think of Only God Forgives?
Genuinely love it, weird to see this thread today because I actually ordered this t-shirt the goose is wearing a few days ago

>And why do people generally think it's way worse than Drive?
Because they're plebs, although Drive is great too

What's some Thai kino by the way?

Except for Ong-Bak of course

I really enjoy the conservative messages found in Refn's films, like how gays are mentally ill, evil degenerates without a father figure (God), and deserve to have their hands cut off

Could you give some examples of where you're seeing that?

The film "Only God Forgives" (2013)

Any Thai kino recommendations?

I don't remember the cop cutting off a gay's hand. Refresh my memory.

And also, are you one of those people who thinks that everything characters do in movies has the filmmaker's approval unless he gives someone a Lisa Simpson monologue against it?

Weerasethakul.

He cut Ryan Gosling's hand off.
He clearly didn't approve, as he was only washed clean of the sins of homosexuality by sacrificing his hands (sexual organ/sexuality)

>
where you find shirt

ebay

He had been raped and abused growing up, his father and brother were dead and his mom was a monster. He was unhinged, sure, but the movie makes it really clear that he's not a bad

Oh, well memed, sure fooled me, I thought you were retarded.

wow this guy got btfo

You're an actual brainlet if you did not pick up on this

Reminder that Refn listens to Alex Jones and is truly /our guy/

Fun's over, ruseman.

dude drive is such a shitty movie, its only overrated on this board because the kids identify with the literal autistic protagonist, don't pay it any mind

It's simple and well done

Oh fuck off, Drive was an amazing film for plenty of other reasons. The story was simple and almost poetic in a way. The characters were simple yet good. The entire point of Drive's success was how a director with a relatively low budget could create something really well made. If it's something you hated I'd recommend Spielberg or something.

>he needs characters to root for to enjoy kino

People who hate OGF are the same people who unironically think that Creep is one of Radiohead's best songs.

It's a wholesale rip-off of The Driver (1978) just with prettier pictures.

I suggest you go watch The Driver and stop pretending Drive is anything worthwhile.

>Tfw Drive ripped off Baby Driver

It's not completely The Driver, it's its own thing, though certainly inspired by it, but by the same token you could say The Driver rips off Le Samourai.

One of the greatest films of this decade.

>The entire point of Drive's success was how a director with a relatively low budget could create something really well made.

No, the point of it was that it was a great film. The budget was only low if your idea of a normal budget is unreasonably high.