‘Rick and Morty’s’ First Female Writers: ‘Resisting the Change Will Make Things Worse’

>Now, “Rick and Morty” is back in full swing, and better than ever. That’s largely due to some fresh blood in the writers room — now fifty percent female, not counting the showrunners.

>“That’s just incredibly rare, unfortunately,” Jessica Gao told The Hollywood Reporter. “More often than not, I’m the only woman in the room or the only person of color — or I’m both. So, having a balanced room just makes things a lot easier for women in the sense that you feel you can pitch things and someone else will understand you.”

>The most experienced of the four new women writers, Gao previously worked with Adult Swim on “Robot Chicken,” where she was also that show’s first woman writer. She has had a good experience with the network, but recognizes it is limited to just two shows. “”It’s a bummer that [Adult Swim] don’t have any female [showrunners] and it definitely has the vibe of a boy’s club,” said Gao.

>“Women are definitely underrepresented in all aspects of Hollywood, and I think when you feel underrepresented you’re not going to last, because it’s so hard.”

>Despite Adult Swim’s poor track record, (network executive Mike Lazzo once said “women don’t tend to like conflict”), Becker is optimistic about the future. “I think resisting the change will make things worse. It’s good that we pointed out a problem and I hope Adult Swim is going to try and change it by hiring more female showrunners.”

indiewire.com/2017/08/rick-and-morty-first-female-writers-adult-swim-dan-harmon-1201865720/

YASSSSS

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=de2grEPn7rg
youtu.be/eK0AJct5scg?t=85
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Rick and Morty is already shit so this won't be too much of a change.

There is literally nothing wrong with wanting to have more female writers on your show.

But now half of the blame for its shittyness will be on women so there's that.

>better than ever
There's no way they believe that

It is an objective fact women can't write to save their lives.
You have 2 seconds to list a couple of not bad shows written by women.

You can't.

>bitching and moaning from both sides
This new season has been fine so far, who gives a fuck.

What about Seinfeld

>This new season has been fine so far

It's not an objective fact though

stop breathing my air, cunt

Groening said the same thing about the Simpsons in 2006:
>"I honestly don't see any end in sight. I think it's possible that the show will become too financially cumbersome ... but right now, the show is creatively, I think, as good or better than it's ever been."

The Mad Max episode was easily the worst of the series though

And that's saying a lot, because that Purge one was also God awful

stop posting and embarrasing yourself,
sweetie :)

If this shit never came up you'd be enjoying the season. Get your head out of your ass, you cuck.

>sweetie

Ok now I'm triggered

t. Virgin

If that means diluting the talent pool for the sake of diversity, then yes there is. Jobs should go to the most qualified, not to whoever can help them check off boxes on a quota somewhere. It blows my mind that this is a controversial opinion these days.

“”It’s a bummer that [Adult Swim] don’t have any female [showrunners] and it definitely has the vibe of a boy’s club,”

THEN PITCH A GOOD SHOW YOURSELF THEN DUMB FUCK

Are you seriously going to tell me that you think the whole pickle thing was funny?
The show is a comedy cemetery at this point.

Nobody can measure up to Rebecca Sugar user

If you had any sense you'd realize that this season is much worse than the previous seasons. The first episode was tolerable but the latest two felt like what would happen if you had some teenage redditor write episodes

>were all equals and individuals but we need a person of every colour and a 50/50 gender split for a "balanced room"

DROPPED

the last two episodes that where written by women were fucking terrible

I can't fucking stand Rick as he is written so far.
Just, they try so hard to make him as edgy as possible for some reason.
Oh, he's a genius atheist who doesn't give two shits about his family! Brilliant!

I don't enjoy Reddit shows

Since when does the quality of a shows writing team depend on the number of cocks in the team? Who cares about replacing the writing staff with women as lomg as the women are as funny as the males they are replacing. That obviously is not the case with Rick N Morty

>cronenberg episode establishes rick can fuck up his earth and bail and not give a single fuck
>pickle rick caves and goes to therapy

Mad Men
Better Call Saul
Vagina Monologues In the Time Gonorrhea (Or Let's Talk About My Pussy LMAO)

>you feel you can pitch things and someone else will understand you
>Only a woman can understand a woman
Jesus christ, and these people are the ones trying to fight sexism?

>pickle rick caves and goes to therapy
He needed the anti-pickle serum or he was going to die

but we're talking about rick & morty, not dungeons and dragons

>it's another "women take over what men created instead of doing their own thing" episode
Getting kinda tired of these reruns.

>If this shit never came up you'd be enjoying the season.
Let me guess, you fucking love Stan Marsh speeches at the end of every South Park episode.

>no women have cocks

back to Sup Forums

ITT: Sup Forums babies are afraid of women

>it's a user can't get laid so they resent women episode

kill yourself roastie

>literally knows Adult Swim is a boys club
>Woman wants to intrude and be included
Color me surprised.
Why do these women want to push their agenda on loser NEETs who are either intoxicated, high, or too stupid to care about this shit?
Why not aim at a demographic who will listen and stop ruining shows aimed for retards who are only watching to laugh?
Seriously.

This board is incapable of grasping anything with any level of subtlety. That's why there's so many "Reddit & Memey!" posts, because that's what it appears to be as on the very surface level to a casual viewer lacking in both attention and understanding.

Rick is supposedly the biggest nihilist and atheist in the universe, yet when he's about to die he prays to god, and he repeatedly puts himself in danger to protect his family that he claims to be indifferent towards. His hypocritical, dual nature is the point of his character. Rick is basically bipolar disorder personified. The viewer is intended to be impressed by his technical feats, sure, but nearly every other aspect of his character is something to be reviled, and sometimes pitied.

And in S3E2, all Sup Forums had to say about Summer was "YAAAS QUEEN! Girl power!", ignoring the fact that she wasn't supposed to be viewed as some feminist rolemodel in the episode. Her behavior was irrational and dangerous, and she was lashing out self destructively as a way to cope with her parent's divorce.
And the irony of the episode was that despite Summer rebelling against her parents, she ends up becoming them in the end, bringing home groceries while her boyfriend sits at home watching TV, an obvious parallel to Beth and Jerry.

Sup Forums just looks at the show like babby's first nihilistic crisis, but to me the show is about finding meaning in a chaotic universe. With fart jokes.

I think Dan Harmon said it best: youtube.com/watch?v=de2grEPn7rg

>better than ever
If the people from inside the production of the show have to say it, then you know you're in for a shitty season.

>have successful show
>run out of ideas after season 2
>panic and but come up with solution
>hire women and publicly virtue signal that you hired women
>show fails
>blame the women
>???
>profit

I think Justin Roiland said it best: youtu.be/eK0AJct5scg?t=85

Muhh rick n morty used to be funny. Rick and morty was and will always be normie trash so who cares who's writing it

This season is def off to a bad start but I don't think we can blame that on the new writers yet. If the whole season is shit, then yeah.

unless its a comedy

ITS DA BEST SEASON WE HAVE TO SAY IT OUT LOUD BECAUSE PEOPLE DONT LIKE IT BUT WILL START TO LIKE IT WHEN WE TELL THEM TO

YAS QUEEN SLAY

Did they release season 3? What the fuck?

>Found season 3 lacking so far
>Only found out it had more female writers after the fact

I hope this season bombs so much that they have to hire those whores and go back on the track.

Fuck, I meant fire

Women fuck everything up.

I knew this since Buffy season 4 when they handed over the reigns to one.

They don't have any problems with writing in Japan, at least.

People should consider the idea that American women are not the way they are because of biology but because of culture.

wow this is fucking bad, it's like the first episode was written by men and the second episode onwards was written by woman

When the fuck did Summer become apart of 'Rick and Morty'? Did they need to shoehorn a woman in?

Ah okay, it was.

>episode s03e01
>Mike McMahan ... (written by)

>episode s03e02/03
>Jane Becker ... (written by) /Jessica Gao ... (written by)

show is dead, we can all go home now

I loved this show, but with each new episode I like it even less than I did before.

I mean I'm a women and I love writing stories and screenplays. My parents and teachers told me I'm a pretty good writer.

>just keeps saying im a pickle over and over like thats the gag
>isnt funny in the slightest

because they wanted to fuck you

>show about mad men
>not a good show
>muh vagina
So you have... "one" example? Huh...
It would have been funnier if he did a Rick move, instead of a Jerry move.

Women have a harder time being funny because they don't need to develop a sense of humor to entice a sexual partner.

Funny enough the one thing that they can do that they're naturally good at is being ignored.

40% of children raiser by single mothers.

Generation Z is going to send these bitches to concentration camps.

I actually really liked the first episode.

Everyone did.

2 & 3 are just goofy soap operas.

Steve Bannon was a big part of Seinfeld getting made, btw. Look it up.

Yep, half the reason any human does anything is to increase their attractiveness for a potential mate. The problem is that men will fuck anything pretty so there's no incentive for women to build up other attributes.

This is a political thread, not a Sup Forums thread. It has no place here.

Again, there exists a world outside America.

Women exist in every country. What is your point?

It's a universal truth, nothing to do with America or its culture. It may be exacerbated in the states which is why this SJW nonsense seems to occur there.

There is not, however, a world that exists outside of biology.

>I believe in equality
>I also believe that women should get jobs simply for being women
>Also men and women can't work with each other because I personally feel uncomfortable working with men
And they say they're not "taking our shows away".

You are only looking at American women and then concluding that their behavior must be biological and therefore applicable to all women. This is wrong because it can be plainly seen that these observations don't apply to Japanese women.

Used to be that the established norms were that there was to be one man for every woman in marriage. Then the sexual liberation and welfare state happened and we regressed back to the caveman standard wherein only 20% of men sire children.

The problem with this is reproduction inequality leads to a turn to crime by the lower 80% of men.

You can see this in the black community as well as the Islamic system (where rich men take multiple wives). The lower caste either: kill each other, revolt, join the armed forces.

You're saying men don't become social and funny to entice women in Japan?

Are you saying it is more likely for women to become funny to entice men in Japan?

Someone might be watching a bit too much anime.

You are completely full of shit the Japanese population is nosediving right now.

Literally what is the issue
It's so unbearably annoying and obnoxious when Sup Forums loses their shit over females doing things or joining tv shows
Uh hurr durr bad joke on tv? mus be cause of the women writers
Jesus fucking Christ can you people just give it a fucking rest every once in a while and not be such autistic little whiners every time the opposing gender does something that you wish you had the talent or ability to do yourselves
Just because you fuckwits haven't gotten laid since your mother shat you out doesn't mean its the fault of women writers on tv shows

inb4 white knight i'm just so fucking tired of people trying to blame shit on there being female writers in a tv show's crew because jesus christ every time it's a new fucking shitstorm of Sup Forums talking about how much they hate women and it's as headache-inducing as the SJWs promoting this if not moreso

>it can be plainly seen that these observations don't apply to Japanese women.
Lol WHAT? Japanese women are even more prone to being nothing more than pretty faces who lack any interests besides staring at their phones.

Compare salarymen vs. salarywomen, the stats are staggering.

Women can write certain subjects if it's their passion. The problem here is that women aren't funny. They have no idea how comedy works,m and are used to guys just laughing at their jokes because they are girls.

Maybe internet feminists should get angry that the education system doesn't encourage more girls to take up creative writing. Maybe that's why there aren't more women writing in Hollywood.

shut up fag

I am saying what I just said.

>Someone might be watching a bit too much anime.
Someone might be attempting to deploy a worn out strawman.

Completely irrelevant. What exactly made you think that this has anything to do with what we're talking about? And are you aware that Japan doesn't even have the world's lowest birth rates and that Western countries also have low birth rates?

>Lol WHAT? Japanese women are even more prone to being nothing more than pretty faces who lack any interests besides staring at their phones.
The objective fact of what Japanese women accomplish in the anime, manga, game and music industries flatly contradicts this.

The violence among men is a bit less to do with lack of mates and more a lack of purpose. Raising a family is a great way for some to feel like there is meaning to life as well as something to act as one's legacy. No point in caring about the future if you feel you don't have one, etc.

Women can write interpersonal interaction better due to the amount of Grey matter in their brain.

However they have 15% less neurons than men so it only makes sense to them.

Get gassed, Transfreak.

>Women have a harder time being funny because they don't need to develop a sense of humor to entice a sexual partner
is the observation
>it can be plainly seen that [this observation doesn't] apply to Japanese women.
is what you claim
Explain how

>in the anime, manga, game and music industries flatly contradicts this
Oh god get a load of this weaboo. Do you seriously think those industries are a major representation of Japan's entire economy? That's like saying the entire UK must have great women workers because J.K. Rowling exists.

>And are you aware that Japan doesn't even have the world's lowest birth rates and that Western countries also have low birth rates?

Completely irrelevant. Did you think that somehow negates that they have extremely low birth rates? Of course not, you're not stupid, but you asked a stupid question anyway.

>‘Resisting the Change Will Make Things Worse’
Sounds like something a rapist would say.

It is if you're only objective is a baseless idea of what fair is.

We are talking about the general idea that because American women XYZ therefore all women XYZ, which as I already said is demonstrably false.

I'm not a weeaboo. Weeaboos don't exist.

>Do you seriously think those industries are a major representation of Japan's entire economy?
The anime industry is worth over $15 billion, and the anime, manga, light novel and game industries combined are huge. And when we compare all this to what women are doing in America the differences are substantial.

>Completely irrelevant.
Then why did you bring it up?

>Did you think that somehow negates that they have extremely low birth rates?
Why complain about their birth rates as if they were the lowest in the world when in fact they are not?

>I'm a women
>I'm a pretty good writer

>low birth rates
Every civilized country suffers from this once women get higher education and stop producing as many children in lieu for other pursuits such as careers. Not even sure what your point is.

Doesn't matter, you responded and made yourself look stupid.

I did not bring up the topic of birth rates. Why are you claiming I did?

How does respoding to a post make me look stupid, and do you realize that you are also calling yourself stupid?

>We are talking about the general idea
No we aren't, we're talking about your very specific claim that that very specific observation does not apply to Japanese women, if you had an actual justification for any of your arguments you wouldn't need to dodge the question

This is the only objective answer. It's not even a biological thing, it's a culture raising women believing they're funny or smart when they're not. That doesn't mean there aren't some that are really good at what they do.

>Literally what is the issue
Female writer using her gender to promote the show instead of good writing
>It's so unbearably annoying and obnoxious when Sup Forums loses their shit over females doing things or joining tv shows
Maybe women should do their own things and stop using their pussies to latch onto other creations, only to do a half-assed job and get showered with unearned praose because of YASSS QUEEEN bullshit
>Uh hurr durr bad joke on tv? mus be cause of the women writers
Oh I see, a woman deserves the credit unless she writes something terrible.
>Jesus fucking Christ can you people just give it a fucking rest every once in a while and not be such autistic little whiners every time the opposing gender does something that you wish you had the talent or ability to do yourselves
I'm not the one churning dumb articles about how my vagina is making the show "better" and pushing personal politics under the guise of equality. Also I have written and directed my own movies, what the fuck have you done to earn your moral high ground?
>Just because you fuckwits haven't gotten laid since your mother shat you out doesn't mean its the fault of women writers on tv shows
Ahh a virgin joke, no wonder you don't see what's wrong with those writers.
>inb4 white knight i'm just so fucking tired of people trying to blame shit on there being female writers in a tv show's crew because jesus christ every time it's a new fucking shitstorm of Sup Forums talking about how much they hate women and it's as headache-inducing as the SJWs promoting this if not moreso
I'm just gonna refer to pic related because Im done explaining how faggots like you are as much a problem as the one you're projecting onto the board.

>Weaboos don't exist

And yet, here you are.