Why are horror movies so shit nowadays...

Why are horror movies so shit nowadays? All of them rely on cheap jump scares and it's always the same found footage gimmick

Horror doesnt sell anynore

Because the films in the genre that tread new ground are hated by fans of the genre. So you end up with no middle ground between copypasta found footage garbage and indie "horror" movies that increasingly don't bother to be horror

Being original is hard nowadays.

You said it yourself. Its easy to create a "horror" movie with a certin formula. Jump scares + eerie noises + group of teens + found footage. You can add the fact that most teams dont rely on practical effects as they used to a couple decades ago. Having actors to "act" like creatures are there when they're not is a big downgrade. All of it because the develop blockbuster flicks insted of actual pieces of work you can see.
The horror genre needs mor Rick Bakers and Tom Savinis to give that tangible side back in movies.

Horror is a meme. It's not possible for fiction to be 'scary'. If a piece of fiction instills horror into you it's not because the fiction itself is horrifying; rather, it's because you're a manchild in the freudian sense of the word. This is further evidenced by the fact that movies that aren't typically categorized as 'horror' are most frequently brought up in threads about the 'scariest' movies of all time. Get a job, raise a family, take on responsibility and you will see that these popcorn demons are fairytales compared to the horrors of dealing with landlords, paying mortgages, making sure your child isn't dead every hour, making sure your now useless wife isn't fucking other people etc.. this is your life for the next 60 years and then you die (or less if you're lucky enough to have been blessed with the gift of a heart attack). this is true horror. only underaged people and NEETs will disgaree. Tell me Sup Forums, what keeps you up at night? A Nightmare on Elmstreet? Paranormal Activity 3D. Your student loans?

Your mom keeps me up at night.

It pisses me off when there is a chance of a little scare with something happening in the background and they put a scream sound effect for no reason.

>spooky stretched mouth face

It's all been done.

Watch a nice Giallo & walk through a city street. Are they chasing me?

Brown people, I mean they are just so scary.

We're living in a golden age of horror you uninformed ignorant pleb.

real videodrome when

>It's all been done.

No, it hasn't. It's just that everyone treats horror as cheap, stale genre.

Horror requires you to become invested in the story and put yourself in the characters shoes, this is what effective horror does, Anyone can go into a theatre turn off their brains and say "yeah bro this shit aint scary id just kick the creepers ass haha"

>It Follows
>The Witch
>I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House

All of these are helping to change the dynamic of what horror is

IT FOLLOWS IS FUCKING SHIT FUCK YOU

Yes except the exact opposite is true, horror is utterly shallow even next to other genre-fiction greats like 'action' and murder mystery novels
An 'effective horror movie' requires you to switch off your brain to get a pathetic little momentary thrill out of it
Horror is the cinematic equivalent of one of those pens with a woman who takes her clothes off when you press the nib down

Shouldn't have typed that one here, it's for people who have actually had sex with at least one person

because horror is a shit genre. it's for teenagers and dumb people that scare easily.

I've had sex with one person and It Follows still sucks.

Because real life is more horrifying than any movie. In America anyway.

"scary" horror movies are dead

campy fun filled goofy horror movies are the new superkino

>It Follows
psychological thriller
>The Witch
period drama

If it isn't laden in irony, nobody cares. Being genuinely scared is considered lame.

The problems with the horror genre today can be boiled down to two things;
1. Horror film that believes a good horror film is how much horror in can inflict in 90 minutes. This bloats the movie and destroys any conceivable story by filling it with nothing other than jump scares and attempted frightening imagery. This fails because scary stuff isn't scary when it's blatantly trying too hard.
and;
2. The horror genre's current obsession with originality. Everyone wants to write a new cult hit. With your weirdo hipster horror bs. It doesn't have to be something completely unlike everything that's ever been done. Your haunted teen crayon box demon who takes the form of cowboy boot is a garbled mess.

Swap the formula for writing horror from 'okay we need to scare people, but how?' to 'let's tell a disturbing story and not spare the audience from its gruesome moments'.

A good scary film isn't one that makes you scream. It's one that unsettles you and makes you think when you're alone surrounded by shadows in your room at night.

>it sucks

Great review. What would be an example of good horror to you

Add Don't Breath to that list