Why did it bomb do hard?

why did it bomb do hard?

it actually wasn't even this bad

I get the actors/main characters problems people were having but the story and setting is still pretty good and I didn't really care much about how unlikable they were

lead girl looks like a boy

Gay alien shit

>why did it bomb do hard?

Well, opening opposite Dunkirk didn't do it any favors.

The real question is why anyone could possibly think a generic orange and blue SF movie based on French (!) comic from the 1970s and starring a model, a pop singer and a fag could possibly be a success. It has absolutely nothing going for it at all. The ad campaign was shit and so was word of mouth from the geeks and hapless families who did go and see it.

>generic orange and blue SF movie
I thought is was pretty original and refreshing script

The setting and the story where good, the pacing, the acting, and the script where shit. Sometines they did and said things that directly contradicted somethibg said and done before. By the way, that shit with rihanna trying to make us feel sad for her death even when we only say like ten minutes of her, that's stupid. The suit was overpowered and they used it only twice. They could have gotten out of all their troubles with it. The suit should have gotten a bigger role.

This is true. The movie had some unique things going for it, but the writters simply couldn't do them good, they just skimmed through them.

>the acting

Apex predator did alright tbqh senpai

He is the only one that did alright, mate, everyone else sucked, even Clive Owen who is a pretty fucking good actor.

Dane Dehaan? More like Dane Defaag.

the two main actors

>french one hit wonder director
>carla delevigne
>main guy looks like a fag
>source is a 70's french sci-fi comic nobody remembers
>opening opposite to Dunkirk
>rihanna shoved in the movie for no reason

Why spend $180mil on a movie no one as heard of? Not even disney spends that much, they only spent $50mil on Antman for example. If that french fuck wasn't so desperate to prove himself to hollywood he could have had a profitable movie.

Also who puts Rihanna in a movie? Haven't they learned from BattleShips that she can't act?

If I was the average flick-goer deciding what to watch, I'd go see Dunkirk upon immediately seeing the trailer for Valerian.

>>rihanna shoved in the movie for no reason
She even was the biggest person in the poster. They did everything wrong.

>>french one hit wonder director

>Leon, The Fifth Element, La Femme Nikita

>the two main actors

Dane and Clive?

>The Fifth Element
Exactly one hit.

Literally not a single box office draw
>mediocre, not internationally popular leading actors
>old and busted IP no one cares about
>not really a popular genre if your film isn't called Star Wars
>old and busted director
>marketing the film with "it's expensive FOR A FRENCH MOVIE"

>they only spent $50mil on Antman for example.

I'd take valerian over yet more generic Marvel drivel any day.

Shit advertising.
I didn't even hear about this film until the day before release, and I spend a good amount of time online.
It was on ok film. Nice visuals. Shame they fucked up the marketing.

She's french attractive but not hot by American standards. Only a 7/10 here in burger land.

Brits just aren't very attractive

THE TWO MAIN ACTORS ON THE MOVIE POSTER YOU FRUITY LITTLE FAGGOT

Oi M8 I'll hook you in the gabber.

>Shame they fucked up the marketing.

Fuck the marketing, shame they fucked up the script and cast Rihanna. The film could have been much better with just some minor changes.

>casting that dude as a badboy main character
The only way he should get a leading role in a blockbuster is if they're making a Harry Potter remake. He seriously looks like a character actor for bullied nerds.

>THE TWO MAIN ACTORS ON THE MOVIE POSTER YOU FRUITY LITTLE FAGGOT

I see two actors, a pop singer and a model.

Yeah the script was a bit shit but I still enjoyed it.
It really reminded me of the same thing that happened to Dredd. Decent film, failed by marketing, too much of a push on 3D.

>MUH CLIVE OWEN

Basically came here to say exactly this. I rolled my eyes so hard at Rihanna's death, why was I expected to care?
You guys think so? He was the worst performance in the movie for me, horribly miscast. Like Urkel trying to play Han Solo, his "cool guy" voice was less convincing than the alien jellyfish. And he had zero chemistry with any of the cast.
Maybe I just don't like Dane Dehaan, the only think I liked him in was Chronicle and he was playing the Alpha Autist in that.

Same I didn't know about the movie until the wall street journal wrote an article before it premiered about how it's the biggest budgeted independent movie ever and whether or not it would turn a profit.

lead girls looks like a boy and lead boy looks like a girl.

I'm more confused as to why they would invest so much money into such an assured bomb. For all the money they spent on production, I didn't see a single ad for it.

Is this some Hollywood accounting shit where they needed a big flop to dodge a higher tax bracket or something?

Main actors looked like an inbred brother and sister. Why on earth did they cast people who look so similar?

1.) Not Disney

2.) Not Capeshit

3.) Not part of a "franchise"

Probably. The studio had something like 90%+ of the cost covered by others, so they still made good money on it. The most successful type of film.

>lead girls looks like a boy and lead boy looks like a girl.

That's kinda hot, though.

>lead boy looks like a girl.

In what world?

It wasn't a studio film, it was Besson's company. And while it might not lose any money since the distributors and investors will more likely take the hit, it's gonna be hard for Besson to get any other big budget movie financed soon.

Stop spamming this disgusting tranny

I saw the trailer at the theater and I was literally thinking that it is some sort of "little agents in space" because lead male looks like a 16yo max

his tits were bigger in the promo materials and I would bet his boipucci was much tighter.

Why the fuck did they give the main role to a kid who plays beta cucks? Valerian is supposed to be a Chad.

And ffs, how could a French director who claims to love the comic not make Laureline a fucking redhead??? Besides being a feminist icon decades before Furiosa ever got into the cab of a rig or the girls of GoT started the Cuckening, she is supposed to be a hot fucking redhead, not a scrawny, androgynous, heroin addict.

>I didn't really care much about how unlikable they were

I refuse to reward film producers that make shitty casting decisions.

that bitch is box office poison

I'm so god damn burned out on grand scale movies.

Everything out in theaters is so flashy, explosions, saving the whole fucking world, CG cluster fucks with no soul.

lauraline looks like a man

You could put a wig on him and tell me that was Cara and I would believe you

I thought for sure when I saw the poster that they were brother and sister characters but nope, love interests. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

journalist cabal against source material being sexist

they torpedoed all other movies in wake of wonder woman

There seems to be a misunderstanding in this thread that movies make money based on how good they are.

At any given time there are plenty of small scale dramas in cinemas but you don't actually go to see them. You cry about capeshit and yearn for true kino but at the end of the day all you actually go see are braindead Disney action films for children then complain about the death of cinema online.

Happy birthday Cara.

it worked for the Fifth Element. same comic book, more or less.

The French must be into that shit...

When all the criticism about this movie are about style over substance and a weak scenario but then this happens.

antman had a 142 million dollar budget you fucking mook

no tony stark on the poster