Is the downfall of The Simpsons the most tragic thing in television history?

Is the downfall of The Simpsons the most tragic thing in television history?

youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8zY9z7IP-1Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Replacing Chuck's writing team with Sneed's was the beginning of the end.

Is this video worth watching? Be honest with me OP, my time is valuable.

the fact that they tried to keep it going for so long is quite tragic
we have never had the chance to miss it

what went wrong with the simpsons?
>have group of talented writers
>writers leave after several seasons
>new writers are't talented
>show quality drops
wow mystery solved

why is it still on air

money

when does he think it went down, because I haven't watched it in so long I can barely even remember anything of the show. I feel like it was... 2008? Maybe? that I finally tired of it completely.

because nerd rage doesn't get shows cancelled

>my time is valuable
>spends all day on Sup Forums

There's still a group of people who watch it no matter what because it's been a stable part of their lives for decades. Brand loyalty is a hell of a drug. If Fox cancelled it then they'd have to replace it with something else that would potentially get less viewers and that's risky. There's also merchandise.

I haven't even watched the Simpsons and it's a nice watch

Can't watch that review.
Hyping it up when it's been shit all along.
It's good when you're a child with only 5 channels to choose from.

It's shit because Groening was the strict arbiter of quality. He took his creation very seriously and when he stepped away form the show after butting heads with Brooks over the Critic crossover the stern hand was gone. Then when he poached the writer's room to make Futurama it was the beginning of the end.

yeah

Its not "HELLO RANDOM YOUTBE FAGGOT HERE"

just about the changes in staff and how the Simpsons reflected the rebellious culture of the 90s

IS FXX doing another Simpsons marathon this year? Those threads last year were comfy af desu wy senpaitachi

I still watch and enjoy it. More out of nostalgia than anything but I don't think it deserves all the flack that it gets.

way before that, The Principal and the Pauper aired in 1997 believe it or not

To be fair that was one episode, a sign of things to come maybe but it could have just been a black sheep. In my opinion the show becomes legitimately unwatchable from season 13 onwards, with 9 - 12 being the major decline.

>voice actors demand higher and higher pay
>more budget goes to them than the writers

I saw that video yesterday. Pretty good. I'd say the Frank Grimes episode, while it also had plenty of funny jokes, gets to the very essence of what went wrong with The Simpsons.

Originally, Homer was the perfect anti-hero, a Willy Loman of the '80's and '90's and an example of what NOT to be in this day and age. By the time of the Frank Grimes episode, Homer is now seen as the perfect person BECAUSE of his flaws. Everybody loves him even though he only cares about himself. Nothing ever goes wrong for him even though he's stupid, just because he's a TV character. We would all be better people if we aspired to be more like Homer and turned our brains off like everyone else.

did their good writers all leave over pay?

That's because I value you all so much. Each of you mean a lot to me.

that's interesting, I don't really follow this stuff but Futurama in it's original run had consistently great writing while the Simpsons was atrocious in that same time period

You're confusing cause and effect. The decline happened and then the voice actors started demanding more because they're only in it for the money. They don't actually enjoy being part of the show.

Will the downfall of the Simpsons be part of future curricula in college film courses?

that would genuinely be awesome

Not true at all. Matt has always had very little impact on the writing across all eras of the show.

Mexicans

>Is the downfall of The Simpsons the most tragic thing in television history?
If it had been cancelled 10 years ago it'd be a contender.
But we're well beyond that - it's parasitic/profit seeking longevity have put it in a league of it's own in a way surpassing The Flintstones for ep nos never could.

Been shit since late 90s and still running cos morons don't stop watching it. Surprisies me HBO didn't catch onto this and try to expand GoT to 30 seasons off of The Simpsons example.

The guy talks like he's talking about ancient aliens on history channel. This the truth they don't want you to see!

It's just a tv show that's worse than it used to be and is now used solely for making money. Wow, really tragic story.

I don't know.
I don't care that much even though I thought it was amazing earlier seasons.
In a way I think it is comforting to know that it still is there. Sometimes I see an occasional episode lik the halloween eps.

also hes a foreigner from europe or australia and a millenial at that, and he is talking so much about our country like he knows anything, as if he didnt just read a bunch of shit of wikipedia....

This. Funnier cartoons have been written since The Simpsons, although it was revolutionary when it was first released.

i got to watch the series live when it was in its prime 2-9, the last time i watched it regularly was every week season 15

every few years i would try to marathon the whole series i always petered out at 12

>will surpass Gunsmoke's record, 30 = even number, FOX can hype it up
>show has been creatively bankrupt for long-time, even most hardcore fans abandoning it
>the brief revival in some form of cultural relevancy and popularity among the kids around the movie and season 20 hype was totally exhausted by the turn of the decade: younger kids prefer family guy to modern simpsons by far (current family guy being in the same state that 2010 era simpsons that kids and young adults like/know it and can reference it, but most don't actively watch new episodes)
>in 2015, was still able to make the 10+ million viewer mark; this past May, ratings reached an all time low when the season finale barely passed 2 million viewers
>Harry Shearer publicly expressed desire to quit, probably won't be on board much longer
>Hank Azaria has starring role in new comedy series already renewed for a new season in 2018
>majority of cast members in 60s and 70s, one major cast member recently died
>FOX almost cancelled the show in 2011 over cast members' high salary demands of $500,000 each per episode
>local syndication revenue drying up as fewer local stations renew their contracts to air episodes, opting for newer sitcoms instead
>cable syndication revenue almost nonexistant as Simpsons's 300,000 viewer average on FXX on weeknights pales in comparison to the 1.5 - 2 million average shows like Family Guy, American Dad, and the Cleveland Show get in reruns on Adult Swim and TBS
>streaming revenue non-existent as it's only able to stream on special "Simpsons-world" app which literally nobody will pay for, as opposed to Family Guy which is still one of the most streamed shows on Netflix
>Family Guy still makes a significant amount of money from each new season's DVD and digital download releases; The Simpsons stopped at Season 17 in 2014 because it wasn't cost effective

no funnier cartoons than the era when the simpsons was good

Golden ear Simpsons objectively has better writing and is funnier than any animated show to ever exist.

Meant to say "Why they'll end the show at Season 30"

Yes but in the beginning he had creative authority and he kept the laziness and shitty ideas off of the show.

I never noticed Lisa had such sexy legs

I never noticed that Maggie had a huge fucking penis

>literally repeats what you can read on any message board or on other yt videos
What a shit channel and shit video

>not noticing that right from the beginning

you can go grab a dictionary and read all of shakespeare marx plato etc all in one go too if you want

It's basically a mini documentary, well written and put together, informative
I'd recommend personally. It's also not a complete pissing on zombie simpsons going on about how shit is; it examines what changed

I probably sound like a shill. I just watched it is all

Brand relevance - keeping it on the air allows merchandise to stay relevant and still be sold (a ten year old kid won't have a futarama lunchbox but it wouldn't be unusual for them to have a simpsons lunchbox)(also think shitty mobile games)
People still watch it despite quality, it's made for relatively very little so advertising makes it a huge profit anyway

i luv u bby

>Marx
Fuck off communist shill

>Marx
dont fucking quote my posts and re-write my words faggot

could you name a period of any show after the Simpsons season 1-7 that is better?

I'm really struggling myself.

early Family Guy was pretty good, but it wasn't better and sure as shit didn't last 7 seasons.

I never noticed that Bart was Chinese

who am I kidding, they're all yellow skins

Not him, but I think maybe a season of venture bros or south park could compete.
Even though I've enjoyed family guy I don't think it's up there.

self irony is an IQ test. need at least a 110.

Already watched it like 2 days ago, stop shilling your vids here.

Mexico.
Go to any zombie Simpsons video on Youtube to see.
>jajajajjajajajaja homer es loco!
>jajaja bueno xD

>that guy who doesn't even bother to watch the video he's complaining about but still feels to add in his kindergarten-tier analysis

The saddest thing is that a renaissance is completely within the realm of possibility

I can understand why he was against bringing Jay Sherman into the show but seeing him sell out over the years makes me think he was just being a bitch.

yeah it already happened like over half a century ago

haha

Tragic? Not really. We had 8-9 good seasons and canon is not important. Watch something else or rewatch old episodes periodically? No big D.

Jesus fucking christ I cant get past 10 seconds of this video that faggot's voice is so annoying

This guy's voice is really annoying

Lots of things are within the realm of possibility, but Fox has zero incentive to rock the boat, neither does anyone involved with the show. It would take a serious upset by someone with a strong vision and a lot of influence.

You're an idiot if you think Seasons 3-5 aren't genius.

This. It was written by Ivy league dropouts and is extremely clever.

Pretentious drivel.

American Dad had a better run from season 2-11, and the episodes either side of that are much, much better than zombie Simpsons
South Park had a pretty much perfect run from season 2 to 16+

UNA

I agree, shallow and pedantic.

>canon is not important.

I'm not sure it's really worth calling it a tragedy. It is disappointing, but 8 seasons is a good run, a lot better than most. Staying around being milked for cash is unpleasant and there's something about a dignified death but that doesn't mean non-euthanised Simpsons is tragic

Good video but is the VO person a guy or a girl.

>airs every night from 6-8pm
Pretty much explains it.
No one could pump out that much content that consistently and stay good.
Maybe if simpsons was once a week they could of paced themselves better and not ran out of jokes

Its not bad. Its pretty well structured and informative, and personally I caught some feels looking at just how bad things got since I had stopped watching loooong ago. If you just want a tl;dr skip to 26:53

Are you an idiot or just pretending?

It is part of current curricula in college film courses

It has a rough start since his woice is annoying, but after a while, it's a good stuff.

That episode isn't even a fifth as bad as people make it out to be

watch the video bozo

i dont think you understand what it actually means

they took a beloved character with so many jokes and stories built around who he was, which was so firmly stated it is caused by his upbringing and life

oh but now hes armin tanzarian, and he always will be

youtube.com/watch?v=8zY9z7IP-1Q
haha

>Irish narrator

I don't know if I can take this for half an hour

And I live in Ireland

>"The Simpsons is counter-culture"
Yes, the show that was aired on FOX and created by a large team of artists and writers and loved by everyone is "counter-culture"
Fucking hipsters

where you even alive at any point during the eighties?

>People born in 1999 are 18 now
>Kids born in 2000 are graduating next yer
>Kids born in 2001 are getting their driving permits
>Kids born in 2003 are entering high school

>There are people alive who don't know 9/11 actually happened and thought it was a meme

I mean, I'm married with children. Literally. I think I found my way to this site through WoW in like 2005.

>2019 will be the year kids born after 9/11 happened graduate

"silence like a cancer grows"

>pass user
Embarrassing

3rd worlders

Most gen Z kids grew up on 90s stuff because 00s cartoons were trash and all we had were re-runs

Fuck I still have a VHS player and Orange Cassettes of the Rugrats despite being born post DVD

>Source: Turned 18 a week ago

>kids born in 1980 are approaching 40

>Kids born in 2003 are entering high school

A pity that any legitimate criticism of the show can easily be dismissed by posting Comic Book Guy.
To me, zombie simpsons starts when CBG first says "Worst episode ever" to mock hardcore fans.

>born in 1985
>can feel myself aging, but the sweet release of death won't come