GOT show VS Book

This thread is dedicated to the description of how the show fucked with the book

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cxzd7kKm91c
youtube.com/watch?v=YLKaLSKjxJo
youtube.com/watch?v=n1l-bJqRJ_Q
salon.com/2017/07/10/george-r-r-martin-hbo-series-who-fears-death/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hard to say for this and the last season

>not much to fuck with as the book is trash

it's like comparing a heap of shit to another heap of shit that simply has more flies buzzing around it

I've never been happy that they made Loras a gay cartoon in the tv series: the characterization is much more nuanced in the books.
He has been stripped of all the complexity he had in the books

How does one fuck with something that the fat man has already fucked to death?

>for when the sun has set, no candle can replace it.
>leads the charge in Dragonstone
>horribly burned by boiling Oil
>status unknown

vs.

>Renly's ded, better jump bones with Olyvar lol
>a sword swallower through and through
>hey girl wanna talk French frills?
>I'm naht strang enuff waah

Don't have the pic but

Book Stannis
>no matter what, if I die, ensure Shereen is placed upon the Iron Throne. It belongs to house Baratheon!

Show Stannis
>lol sure burn her w/e I'll get magic powers right? Dope

brienne besting the hound was ludicrous, the stupidest fight scene in the whole series. hound cuts men completely in half at blackwater. cuts down three frey soldiers in three seconds. knocks kingsmen out cold with one punch head trauma at crossroads inn, finally killing them all, arya finishes off 2, but only is able to do so because hound knocked them senseless.
so hound actually killed all 5 of them. yet cant knock brienne out after multiple head punches and a head butt, really screenwriters?

>“A sacrifice will prove our faith still burns true Sire,” Clayton Suggs had told the king. And Godry the Giantslayer said, “The old gods of the north have sent this storm upon us. Only R’hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever.”

>“Half my army is made up of unbelievers,” Stannis had replied. “I will have no burnings. Pray harder.”
LITERALLY WHAT HAPPENED

>stripped of all complexity and nuance

This sums up the entire show, perfectly.

Not that that fat, lazy ham planet is all that great a writer

I really liked a lot of his short stories, and it killed me when I realized he was NEVER EVER gonna finish the soiaf series thanks to finally getting HBO TV rich.

Sansa being anywhere else than with Littlefinger on that mountain castle. They fucked up so badly by disregarding Jane Pool for being a semi important character in the beginning. I think they straight up left her out and had to fix the problem with Sansa?

Don't worry, Kevin J. Anderson is available to write 20 more books than Martin ever did

Yeah I really don't get the point of the Sansa shit. The worst part is that they took her character arc from the books but with none of the same plot so it makes sense.

How has getting raped by Ramsay made her like Littlefinger's match now that they seem to be implying she is?

No patchface :(

For the same reason they made Dany an un sympathetic cunt and stripped away her humanity.

Because no one knows how to actually write strong female characters.

It's seriously just because they thought Jane Pool was not important enough as a character. It's JUST that, and that makes me reaqlly sad...

All the awesomeness about The king of the wildlings rescuing her from Ramsey, just to find out it isn't actually Arya is lost too. Sure, we have no idea what happens with Sansa, and they had to figure out something sinse GRRM is too slow at wrtigin, but they are just too godamn lazy or stupid to make up something new and cool for Sansa.

There's not really much to mention anymore. 2 seasons too late

But Stannis actually does eventually burn people in the books.

Try actually reading them instead of just believing whatever cherrypicked passages people post

What? No he doesn't, not past the point of that passage.

He's currently on the fence about burning Theon.

He burned soldiers that resorted to canibalism. It was punishment and he used it conveniently, but didnt like it. It's not like he did it to appeal to the god specifically

Is it possible to read only the chapters of certain characters throughout the books and still get a coherent story?

Hound was sick and tired and wanted to die when he fought her.
She only beats people when they are at their weakest.
Jamie, Stannis, and Hound.

Barristan was probably the greatest swordsman in Westeros (and maybe Essos as well) but the show didn't give him the attention he deserved. I'm pretty pissed off that he died to a bunch of harpies. he is still alive in the books

no, it's just feminist propaganda
She defeats her challengers in combat, including Jamie. She even beats Sandor Clegane in a matchup that never takes place in the books. Instead of being a complex character, she’s just another fictional female superwarrior.

>bookfags are still a thing
>when GRRM's fatass will probably die before the show finishes much less the books

He still hasn't even finished winds of winter, its been years. The material is written, he just has to put it together in order. And we're only still a thing because impotent rage and disappointment is a potent fuel.

I gave up on the books awhile ago, and I just sort of accept the show as the new canon. At this point, there's no way George finishes the books before he dies.

Oh shut up

He said that one of the characters will be a bad guy inspired by Trump.
He fell for the political crap meme. No point in waiting for those shitty books to come out.

Book or show, neither are good.

no
this is what real life Brienne vs the houind looks like

youtube.com/watch?v=cxzd7kKm91c

*blocks your path*

the fuck are you whining about? the Hound was suffering from a wound from their earlier encounter with Biter and Rorge. an injured Hound being defeated by Brienne is completely believable

the wound barely affected him in the show you fucking asshole

I loved book Brienne, It's a pity she's being exploited by the show to push some agenda.

bullshit
that fight never happened in the books
it's just bad feminist propaganda

biggest injustice right here desu

There's no fucking way Stannis pulls this shit in the books and dies like a pussy

FUCK D&D

what the fuck do you think I was saying? I was pointing out that the wound was basically gone when the hound fought brienne and was health wise was in the same league as her, and that I agree it was stupid the Hound lost in he first place

I agree, GURPS is the superior system.

his duel in the books is really good and i literally dropped the show for a week after they messed that shit up

you're really going out of your way to be offended by something, which I guess is typical for people the last several years
he was injured. not a big deal, calm your cunt

This was really unforgivable. Died like a chump in a piss-riden alleyway.

bullshit,
that fight never happened in the book. Final point, you loose the argument. Bye

could barry the based have beaten DAYNE?

Sup Forums
therefore show overrides
you lost the discussion, goodbye now friend

could barristan beat the hound or the mountain ?

>therefore show overrides
lol, no
that's GRRM work, keep telling you that,

Ones that jump to mind
>Sansa going to Winterfell
>Jamie raping Cercei
>Burning of the daughters
>Arya's entire plot up to Bravos
>Wolves

Also the subtlety of the plotting has vanished since they went off book. The fat man, despite his faults, can write a nuanced scheme with overlapping, believable competing interests which concludes to no ones satisfaction. Show has become quite linear.

HOWEVER; they made "Feast for Crows" short, so they did something right

Oh right, another thing D&D completely fucked up

Literally the greatest swordsman to have ever lived, and his only appearance in the show is one of the most theorized parts of the story

Oh cool, the tower of joy! We finally get to see a live action Arthur Dayne, what could possibly go wrong? The casting is fantastic!

>dual weild
>Dawn is just another fucking sword
>Ned holds his own against the sword of the fucking morning
>Ned Brainlet Stark is able to outsmart Arthur Dayne
>Howland does le epic backstab

>Sup Forums
it's okay that you lost
enjoy your day

The books aren't a literally masterpiece, but they're still a fun read.
Euron getting nerfed and Jaime still loving Cercei come to mind

books are boring though

tv is more dope and normal

Get an audiobook then faggot if you're too lazy to read

>listening to some autist reading a book out loud
even worse than having to read it yourself

Suit yourself
>autist
You mean a payed professional actor? idk how bad audiobooks are where you live, but German audiobooks are top notch

The books don't matter. The author will die before ever finishing it, and he was explicit that nobody else is allowed to finish writing it if he's gone.

He's working on some other HBO shows, He's just quietly enjoy all the money he got from selling the rights to the series, and isn't too worried if he never finishes it.

>books are boring though
take a look at this and tell me if it's still boring

youtube.com/watch?v=YLKaLSKjxJo

That one was probably just a result of casting an actor as opposed to a real aged super knight.

Think about it, the actor is in his what late 60s, they probably tried shoots of him fighting and they will have just looked underwhelming.

Another example; how many fights do you actually see Jamie in before he loses his hand, is it just the one vs Ned? Same thing, don't want it to be underwhelming, don't show it.

>Aside: the book kinda has a theme about downplaying hero myths, it almost pokes holes at the "who would win in a fight" scenarios, it almost never actually details a fight, usually keeping them "off screen". The show has ditched this in favour of CLEGENBOWL!

what other shows is he working on? Spinnoffs?

youtube.com/watch?v=n1l-bJqRJ_Q

>German audiobooks are top notch
Not the same guy, but German is a fucking ugly language.

>German is a fucking ugly language.
it's not
many classical operas masterpieces are in german

that literally has nothing to do with the quality of the audio book idiot. But have a (you) for your troubles

salon.com/2017/07/10/george-r-r-martin-hbo-series-who-fears-death/

>George R.R. Martin has been busy lately — and no, its not because he’s writing the sixth installment of his series, “A Song of Ice and Fire.”

>Among his many distractions like working on new series and even a Game of Thrones prequel spin-off, Martin has taken on a new project: another HBO series.

>Martin is attached as the executive producer of HBO’s latest adaption series based on Nnedi Okorafor’s novel “Who Fears Death.” The story follows the life of a Onyesonwu, the daughter of the enslaved Okeke tribe in a post-apocalyptic Africa. As she grows older, Onyesonwu, whose name translates to “Who fears death?” discovers her destiny to end the genocide of her people while being targeted by powerful forces trying to stop her.

>Okorafor took to Twitter to share the news, telling her followers, “My novel WHO FEARS DEATH has been optioned by @HBO & is now in early development as a TV series with George RR Martin as executive producer.”

>To the dismay of his fans, Martin hasn’t produced any new pages for “Winds of Winter” — the sixth part of the hit “A Song of Ice and Fire” series that inspired the HBO series “Game of Thrones”

>Indeed, in May, Martin announced he would be working on the SyFy series, “Nightflyers.” This distraction — a series about aliens and the Earth’s inevitable destruction — will be produced by Doug Liman, known for his work on the “Bourne” movies and “Edge of Tomorrow.”

>In addition to working on the two television shows, Martin is focused on creating digests for the associated stories of “A Song of Ice and Fire” and blogging his science-fiction heart away. “Winds of Winter”? Not so much.

too old

>Salon

Archive or fuck off

Aw man, fucking GRRM...

nobody will even read those last 2 books if they are ever even released

the entire article is literally in greentext right there, user
are you illiterate as well? can you read what I typed right here?

No Brave Companions , turned their back on enough stuff to gill most of a season
>tfw sweet Shagwell is too droll to die

>never had a seen where dany took a liquid shit
disappointing desu

Fuck

this shit is all I thought about when that dual wielding garbage happened

Haha wow. So new series, some shitty sci-fi show, and him writing the fucking GRRMillion. I have the feeling he doesn't want to finish the show anymore because it's not even his at this point.

>Oh im sorry professor ive written all the chapters to me thesis but i still need to put it to getter im sorry if its overdue. merging word files is so fucking hard mate

Then guy's lost his way
>First three books
Top notch, concise exciting, decent cast of characters, genuine unexpected turns. Two years between books

>Feast for Crows
A drag, spiralling complexity, numerous new characters who add nothing. Five year gap. Lots of prequels and side-stories

>Dance with Dragons
Tidied up compared to Crows, but still tied up in its own, vast internal mythology. Characters to big to fail now, new super villains. Six year gap. Some crappy hero poker player side-project and blog posts about his 54mm toy soldiers

>Winds of Winter
Six years and counting. ALL of the side-projects

The guy doesn't know what to do, he's bored of it, pushing it out because he has to. He clearly enjoyed writing the first three books and they're great. The last two have literally been dragged out. He should quit and do something else

>He should quit and do something else
I'm pretty sure that's what he's doing, but just not outright saying it.

Isn't too hard to see why he's like this currently. He started ASoIaF after he was extremely frustrated by television at the time, and all the limitations that prevented doing the kind of shit he'd like to do.

We're currently is a sort of golden era of television, and all the stuff that he's always been into (he was one of the original Comic Con antendees) is now doable and even desired on television. He gets to be involved in all the shit he didn't used to get to do, and he's making crazy money. They even put to television his "unfilmable book series" (which isn't perfect, but pretty decent for the type of book series it is).

it's shitty for his fans, but I imagine GRRM is on cloud nine with what he's able to do nowadays.

who else got underwhelmed by the nightwalkwers orogin in the show and wish fatass changes it in the books?

They likely got the origins of the White Walkers straight from Martin. They just sort of fucked up the impact/narrative weight.

Oh god I can hear it

No because when someone dies you have to read the perspective of another character who yoy are unfamiliar with.
I think you can skip some Daenarys chapters later on because they suck, but thats it

can someone post those books vs tv show comparison pics?

Catelyn did die though, she just didn't stay dead. And Jojen will probably die in Winds of Winter.

>He said that one of the characters will be a bad guy inspired by Trump.
Source?

>Okeke tribe

Yeah but if I stick with Jon Snow that's not going to be a problem is it?

>They likely got the origins of the White Walkers straight from Martin.
I'm skeptical. Seems too clichéd for Martin's more scifi stuff.

I love how them cutting Aegon's plot led to one of the characters being absolutely nonsensical even more than he appeared at first: Varys. Think about it. In the first season he pushes for Dany to get assassinated and convinces Bobby to go and get her killed as soon as they find out she's pregnant... And 5 seasons later you conveniently forget about it and want to make me believe he was actually on her side all along? Bullshit.

>In the first season he pushes for Dany to get assassinated and convinces Bobby to go and get her killed as soon as they find out she's pregnant... And 5 seasons later you conveniently forget about it and want to make me believe he was actually on her side all along
In the books he did that but also told Jorah about the assassination attempts incoming so sabotaged them from the inside.

He even married "a girl"

I bet they do stuff like spend time together, go on holiday, visit her parents and make polite conversation while "Daddy" shits himself and suffers flashbacks from the time he threw phosphorous grenades into a Dortmund house back in 44

The prophecy stuff is kind of cliche as well. Martin doesn't completely avoid cliches, he just likes to take them and use them in much more interesting ways (or flip them on their heads). Like I said, I'm pretty sure D&D completely fucked up the execution of the reveal. It's probably more complicated, but with still with the basic idea that the children of the forest ultimately created them to defend them from Man.

You think they roleplay the Sam/Gilly sex scene from Feast for Crows?

I believe the only character of any note who's alive in the show but dead in the books is Beric

well fug, I completely forgot about that. My bad. For one second I was under the assumption he was pushing for Aegon and Aegon only in the books, don't know where that even came from.

Well he seems to favor Aegon but he also wanted Aegon to inherit an angry Dothraki horde so Dany dying at that point would have been bad.

There's that book fan theory that varys is secretly a blackfyre.

That's because he's supporting Young Griff and the Golden Company. There's no way GC would put a Targ on the throne.

they being a creation is just lame.
I liked the idea of a snow necromants country invading way more cool.