2017 WORST YEAR FOR MOVIES IN 25 YEARS

Report: Movie Box Office On Track for Lowest in 25 Years as Spielberg-Lucas “Blockbuster Implosion” Omen Prevails

Reports now, according to Exhibitor Relations: if things continue as they have, this will be the lowest box office in a quarter century. While there have been bright spots (“Dunkirk”) and surprises (“Baby Driver”) the failures have outweighed everything.

Start with a total write off on “King Arthur” and go from there. Then go to “The Dark Tower.”

One terrible new failure: “Nut Job 2,” they say, is the biggest loser ever in wide release (4000+) studio movie. It made just over $8 million this weekend.

Four years ago, at a USC symposium, famed and very successful directors George Lucas and Steven Spielberg warned the film industry that reliance on blockbusters– tent pole movies that failed would cause an implosion. At first no one took them seriously. But now maybe we’re seeing what they meant.

Spielberg said at the time: “That’s the big danger, and there’s eventually going to be an implosion — or a big meltdown. There’s going to be an implosion where three or four or maybe even a half-dozen mega budget movies are going to go crashing into the ground, and that’s going to change the paradigm.”

Other huge flops this year include “Life” — the sci fi movie no one saw, “Monster Trucks,” which was a monster disaster. “Ghost in the Shell” with Scarlett Johansson also came and went quickly. Plus Will Ferrell’s “The Office” was a total write off, and Sony’s “Rough Night” was an embarrassment.

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/09/how-hollywood-chooses-scripts-the-insider-list-that-led-to-abduction/245541/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

watching hollywood fail at everything it does, is one of my hobbies now. we are past the point, finally, where california is unable to export its culture to the rest of the country and even to the rest of the world. and it will only get worse. california, as a cultural force is done.

i cant wait for the entire industry to crash and explode.

I have only heard of those two of those flops so they must have really flopped.

I’m not counting the $100 million plus lost on “The Promise,” because it was a vanity production.

This year also brought Tom Hanks’s biggest flop in decades, “The Circle.” And of course there were the two misbegotten TV remakes– “Baywatch” and “CHiPs.”

Even blockbusters that seemed like hits weren’t — “Pirates of the Caribbean 5” was a bloated mess. And “Transformers 5” was so bad that critics wondered why it was made. “The Mummy” also reeked of failure and desperation.

Studios keep counting on international sales to bail them out. And it works a lot of the time. But continuing to send bad product from the US will eventually take its toll.

Maybe they'd have people watching movies if they made good movies

:/

>made good movies
they cant, california is now so divorced and disconnected fromt he rest of the country that they are unable to tell stories anyone wants to hear.

mmm, imagine licking her puse!

based

THE BASED MADMAN DID IT AGAIN

>tfw the only movie I paid to see this year was CGI monkeys.

WOAH

this year was horrible with nothing to watch. capeshit, animated shit and some feminist propaganda. dunkirk was okay but thats it.

>not the first post from this IP

Good, Hollywood either needs to downsize and start all over or just get erased.

hollywood is out of ideas, thats what happens when you live in a lock step ideology bubble that tolerates zero dissent, and punishes any divergence as as heresy
i watch maybe 1 movie a year. if that. major blockbusters pass me by without me even knowing they existed. hollywood is culturally bankrupt.

what happened in 1992

The horrible thing is they're not out of ideas, people are giving them fresh new ideas every single day, but they REFUSE to use even one of those new ideas just out of the fear it would bomb and tank, and now audiences are starting to get they're just watching the same movies again and again

A lot of people I've overheard at work or just in public are starting to say there's nothing on in the cinemas anymore that's of any interest to them or that they've not seen hundreds of times before

Let's blackface the main character from a series of books!
>bombs
It's the people's fault!

>The horrible thing is they're not out of ideas, people are giving them fresh new ideas every single day, but they REFUSE to use even one of those new ideas
proof?

Every horror movie
>Wow what a nice house
>Oh no bad things are happening
>My husband doesn't believe me and won't stop mansplaining away the ghosts?!
>My son is seriously crazy now?!
>The psychic medium failed me so I'll call the advanced psychic medium
>Good thing she's a woman, she knows what to do and isn't afraid of the ghost
>I'll combine her women's intuition with my motherly love to overcome the demon by screaming at it

Capeshit
>Please Wonder Woman save us, we're just two stupid men who can't stop fighting each other for no reason!

Drama
>Muh poosy

Just feels like the movies are all headed to LMN. That's great, it's a free country, just don't go pointing the finger when you go broke.

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/09/how-hollywood-chooses-scripts-the-insider-list-that-led-to-abduction/245541/

They get a metric ton of scripts every year that they have to go through, it's just that they stick with what works and even then they change the script for 'narrative purposes'

>poosy
what did he mean by this?

Another great year for Disney. How do they do it?

1 Beauty and the Beast (2017) BV $1,262.7
2 The Fate of the Furious Uni. $1,238.8
3 Despicable Me 3 Uni. $921.1
4 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 BV $862.0
5 Wonder Woman WB $797.4
6 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales BV $786.1
7 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony $702.0
8 Logan Fox $616.2
9 Transformers: The Last Knight Par. $594.0
10 Kong: Skull Island WB $566.7
11 The Boss Baby Fox $497.5
12 The Mummy (2017) Uni. $405.4
13 Fifty Shades Darker Uni. $378.8
14 Dunkirk WB $363.7
15 Your Name. FUN $355.3
16 xXx: The Return of Xander Cage Par. $346.1
17 The Great Wall Uni. $332.0
18 War for the Planet of the Apes Fox $313.5
19 Resident Evil: The Final Chapter SGem $312.2
20 The LEGO Batman Movie WB $311.8
21 Cars 3 BV $299.2
22 Baahubali 2: The Conclusion GrtIndia $297.8
23 Split Uni. $276.9
24 Kung Fu Yoga WGUSA $254.2
25 Get Out Uni. $252.4
26 Journey to the West: The Demons Strike Back Sony $246.6
27 Alien: Covenant Fox $232.6
28 Smurfs: The Lost Village Sony $197.2
29 A Dog's Purpose Uni. $194.5
30 Baywatch Par. $176.6

is this end of the blackwashing fade ?
now it's time for the spicwashing !

>unironically declaring this when starwars 8 is coming out in december

Universal is doing pretty good too

>The Fate of the Furious
>Despicable Me 3
>The Mummy (2017)
>Fifty Shades Darker
>The Great Wall
>Split
>Get Out

Only Disney will do well

For the most part, they seem to be IP that people are well familiar with.

what the fuck? beauty and the best was this successful? no one i know irl even mentioned it.

Oh no what will we (jews) do??

>famed and very successful directors
>no one took them seriously

MAYBE THAT'S THE PROBLEM

What more proof do you need than the fact we're just getting a slew of "SINERMATIC YOU-NIVERSE" films and repetitive blockbusters?

Actually wait I almost forgot where I am so here's your proof babby :^)

>Big Trouble in Little China Remake starring The Rock coming out
>Matrix reboot coming out
>Pez movie coming out
>Monopoly movie coming out

Meanwhile here's a list of films that bombed because the studios refused to market them:

>The Nice Guys
>In Bruges
>Drive
>Dredd

And here's good movie ideas that are never happening because the studios didn't want to try them:

>Guillermo Del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness
>The Tourist
>Aronofsky's Batman
>Del Toro's Hobbit
>Ridley Scott's Blood Meridian

Goddamn look at all those terrible movies.
The only thing I went to see this year was Guardians of the Galaxy and it was great.

The reason why normies are only seeing like 1-2 movies is because cinemas have become ridiculously expensive, it cost me like thirty dollars last time I went.

>Sony’s “Rough Night”
Wasnt that pretty much an all female remake of Very Bad Things like Ghostbusters 2016 was?

Was Dark Tower bad?

>Big Trouble in Little China Remake starring The Rock

It's been touted as the worst book adaptation ever.

While films like Dreamcatcher, Sleepwalkers and Graveyard Shift exist? Yeah, no

>15 Your Name. FUN $355.3
keitai finds a way

>The Tourist
>Aronofsky's Batman
>Del Toro's Hobbit
I don't trust trust del taco or scott either. studios made the right decision

the term is blackwashing, not blackface

>1 Remake $1,262.7
>2 Sequel $1,238.8
>3 Sequel $921.1
>4 Sequel $862.0
>5 Sequel $797.4
>6 Sequel $786.1
>7 Sequel $702.0
>8 Sequel Fox $616.2
>9 Sequel $594.0
>10 Remake $566.7
>11 ORIGINAL $497.5
>12 Remake $405.4
>13 Sequel $378.8
>14 ORIGINAL (I guess? Debatable) $363.7
>15 ORIGINAL $355.3
>16 Sequel $346.1
>17 ORIGINAL $332.0
>18 Sequel $313.5
>19 Sequel $312.2
>20 Sequel $311.8
>21 Sequel BV $299.2
>22 Sequel $297.8
>23 ORIGINAL (actually sequel, lol) Uni. $276.9
>24 ORIGINAL $254.2
>25 ORIGINAL $252.4
>26 Sequel $246.6
>27 Sequel $232.6
>28 Sequel $197.2
>29 ORIGINAL $194.5
>30 Remake $176.6

Am I just a bitch?
Finishing that final book in the series was my most depressing literary moment
I felt like I'd wasted weeks/months of my time

>Aronofsky's Batman
but that was pretty awuful sounding.
It was cancer Frank Miller going all Sin City on Batman. It made All Star Batman and Robin or Dark knight Strikes Again look like Dark Knight Returns.

I'm not surprised.

People are mocking all these flops and I'm just thinking... barely anything's doing well this year. Nobody wants to see movies with Trump in office. That idiot provides free entertainment every day.

i want a sequel of king arthur
the movie was nice

Why did you bring Trump in a discussion about movie flops?

I wonder

The Circle didn't flop you dumb nugget it grossed 34 mil against 18 mil. Europacorp bought the film and changed the ending anyways
The Lost City of Z is a flop grossing 18 mil on a 33 mil budget.
Valerian is a flop grossong 70 mil against a 210 mil budget.

So he can bring in his pictures of ugly left wingers and right wingers I guess.

You're no better than Sup Forums, btw. Arguably even worse since you're trying to derail the discussion right now.

>Trump fails to repeal Obamacare
>Generals immediately tell him to fuck off when he tries to ban transgenders from the military
>Pence and other Republicans are already making preparations to replace him in 2020 or earlier
>FBI raided Manafort's house as the Russia investigation continues to uncover dirt
>Trump's phonecalls with foreign leaders showed just how much of a buffoon he is
>White supremacists killed a liberal protestor in his name and he refused to condemn them, so even Republicans are coming out against him
>And he's losing a Twitter slapfight with North Korea
>Meanwhile the best retort his supporters can come up with is that liberals are kindhearted

Why not? He's a flop of a president.

Why don't you leave then and go back.
>calls other films terrible
>thinks Guardians 2 isnt a giant pile of shit
No wonder I haven't been here for a week you're shits retarded.

Guardians 2 is great, and you're going to see a LOT more people talking about how great it is now that it's out digitally.

If you don't like that, better leave right now.

but the first one isn't a remake it wvwn had a rearranged score and new songs. the cartoon was technically a remake of a film from the 40s if you are calling things remakes.

>Why not?
Because this is Sup Forums. Go back to or in your case it's probably

ORIGINAL $355.3
>Your Name
>Original

Trump's constant failure is the best TV show of 2017.

Guardians 2 is trash just like Sup Forumss taste. How fucking old are you kek. It is a mess by all standards.
Seriously talking about terrible movies? When the boards top films of the year are Logan Wonder Woman John Wick 2 Gotg 2 Get Out and Baby Driver. Kekeke

There were movies released this year? Huh.

>how do they do it?

They own almost everything.

Yeah, everyone here likes capeshit. It's a shame you were deprived of oxygen as a baby.

What are your top 5 films?

fucking arm tats
they make him look like such a fag

>sjw movies fail more news at 11.

There was a riot on the streets, tell me where were you

They need to make a movie based on all the popular memes on the internet.

Call it:

Memes.

Get Thomas Middleditch to star, Sir Ian Mckellan to play Pepe.

It would make bank.

Probably in a crib or playing with toys. Where were you?

What was that, punk?

>Why don't you leave then and go back.
what? oh wait, nwm, never argue with a brainlet.

>The Circle didn't flop you dumb nugget it grossed 34 mil against 18 mil. Europacorp bought the film and changed the ending anyways
As much as I wish it was as simple as "make more money than your budget", it's not. You have to at least double the budget to account for marketing. With that in mind, The Circle flopped.

jessica alba is my waifu

why wont she love me=(

>The Dark Tower
>Ghost in the Shell

Can't speak for the other movies, but as for those two, why not make good movies? They put millions into these things and look stunning from a visual perspective, well, Dark Tower not so much, yet skimp on the script writers. Is it that hard to find good authors that can either write or adapt a story well for the movie screen? Why greenlight sinking millions into a movie when the movie script is halfassed? And as for GitS specifically, why employ a director who already proved that all he's good for is nice visuals, especially when you want to make a movie that's also intellectually stimulating? Is giving work to your sister's stepchild or your blowjob buddy at the local whorehouse worth it sinking 100+ million into a cold grave? Big blockbusters aren't the problem, but employing shitty staff and as a result, producing pretty but shitty movies is.

1. Memento
2. Batman Begins
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. La Jetee
5. Captain America The Winter Soldier

Yea everyone here has the taste of a 14 year old spick that likes capeshit. I'm glad you agree you are the equivalent of that.

2BeeFaire a lot of these films were pretty bad and Hollywood budgets are way too high
What were the big hits this summer ? GotG2 and WW? Neither were good and despite their "critical ratings" 20 years ago they would both be C- flicks

Really?

Wonder Woman broke records.

Seems to me people are going to the movies, just not all movies indiscriminately as they did before. The price is too high for me to "buy and see"

Other movies that did well...Dunkirk and Baby Driver? The original movies, not sequels or remakes. Go figure.

They need to start making low budget movies (5-10M) with great characters/plot/story. Actually they will be forced to if this keeps on going.

People are getting bored with expensive effects as the selling point of the concept, I think.

bait

just choosing four random blockbusters and then placing a french new wave film inbetween screams bait to me

They'll just make horror movies . Easy to do , low budget and always makes money

>Memento
>blockbuster
Uh...

No lad listen, it didn't have any marketing budget besides throwing a trailer on youtube and customizing the imdb page. Europacorp didn't market it but they didn't fuck up their own film as much as possible.
Now the lost city of z had little to no marketing as well but it couldn't outgross its budget it made 18 mil. For a small film that's budget is 18 mil 34 mil is not great but its fine. Not whay they hoped for but not flop. It wasnt going to make much anyways.
Completely dif film and circimstance from those films that are on the wiki flop page as certified flops. Like king arthur.

Studios need to take responsibility for their shitty decisions. It's not a market thing. It's a shitty movies thing.

I think what people need to realize is that the box-office is not the end-all. They need to try and make their money off DVD sales, streaming, etc.

but they did fuck up their own film*

Maybe you're right, but I swear I saw a commercial for The Circle at least a few times. If it succeeded, good for it, I guess.

You know what I meant, just because I didnt point it out the list is still dominated by blockbuster cinema

Yes it's bait I hate nolan

I think it has gotten to the point where the people at the top have become out of touch. They don't care about movies as an art form, they care about the money that rolls in. You can tell they think like investors because the whole capeshit phenomenon has all the symptoms of a bubble.

what did you think of Dunkirk?

If movies went straight to rental they would make so much money!

I don't think it succeeded in any fashion people would write home about but I don't think it flopped. Again though, europacorp changed the cut because of test audiences reacted negatively to the ending which was too bleak. Then the redone ending critics and audiences liked even less it seems. Just a weird chain of events. But europacorp now almost bankrupted themselves with valerian..

I havent paid to see it because I hate Nolans storytelling. Ill watch it though eventually.

>I hate Nolans storytelling

well I think you might even like this one there's zero exposition and hardly any storytelling at all
hence why the normies didn't like it so much

reading genre fiction is no different than watching a blockbuster movie, its simple entertainment, of course its a timewaster

>The Tourist
>Aronofsky's Batman
>Del Toro's Hobbit
wew, look at all these original™ ideas

Yea ill probably like it unless there's retarded actions scenes/climax lol

Useless post. meant that he felt he had wasted his time because the ending was poor. A good book is never a waste of time, no matter the genre, but the latter Dark Tower books are not good books.

>>Big Trouble in Little China Remake