DJT - Daily Japanese Thread #1979

This is a Japanese language learning thread designed by and for those interested in traditional otaku media such as anime, manga, light novels, Japanese video games, etc.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TgRte6oSoF8&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

so I was using WaniKani because I was told RTK has wrong entries and it messes you up then I saw this

youtube.com/watch?v=TgRte6oSoF8&t

is it true?
have I been lied to?
Should I switch to RTK?
I do think WaniKani is far too slow and I'd like something faster where I'm in control of my own pace.

Also, if I DO decide to use RTK, are there pre-made decks for it or should I create my own?

>is it true?
Not sure, I only came here to post the op after noticing there wasn't a thread on this board. It was either the current op or this one.

全ての道はローマに通ず。

>mfw doing rtk and have to look up the keywords

?
not sure what you mean, doesn't RTK give you keywords already?

I mean I sometimes don't know the keywords like 'decameron' or 'derision' or 'eventide'

ah, you mean you have to look them in Polish?
that's good, your knowledge of English is also increasing!

>be sick
>stupid short February meant not a full week of repetition-only either, so reps are back >200 already

Still... MORE WEIGHT

What can you do when starting to learn to make it as enjoyable as possible off the bat aside from using the right learning materials/resources? I'm not going to be setting any deadlines or pressure on myself but I'm worried that I'll just drop it if I don't enjoy it within 2 months or so

Honestly, there isn't much. Learning a language always comes with difficulty and tedium. Find other people to interact with, and use manga or other fun materials to learn with. All I can recommend.

>been studying japanese for 2 and a half years
>was going to study abroad in Japan for a year
>financial aid gets slashed
>10k less that i get from the gubmint for school
>considering just finishing up my degree next year and not going

why me

yotsuba + bilingualmanga is enjoyable even with just 400 words down

the issue is you run out and then everythings much harder. either you continue yotsuba with a shitty ocr and suddenly everything takes 10x longer, or you move on to harder content which will feel like a brick wall

VNs seem easy but aren't really my thing personally, if you get the hooking setup and youre into it it's probably enjoyable

Never fall for the trap of enjoying it. Inevitably, you will come to enjoy it less (this is a universal truth: the enjoyment of something is always highest at the beginning) and, if enjoying it was your only motivation, you will fall.

That sucks, user. But don't let it get to you. Japan isn't going anywhere.

You're from the USA bro.
Just go there to teach English, you don't even need a degree for some companies.

Yotsuba is trash.

Watch anime for 10000 hours so you can start studying after you are already past most people in this thread

>Yotsuba is trash.

teaching doesn't really suit me, i just want to study there ;-;

thanks user

There is a polish edition of RTK and some of the keywords are slightly changed or explained better for our language. Search for Kanji. Kurs skutecznego zapamiętywania znaków japońskich.

most native speakers don't know decameron or eventide
you gotta know derision though

>浮
>push the child underwater until it floats

How to remember words? Despite only doing 14 new words a day I end with 230 or so reviews a day because my accuracy is so low

write them down a few times whenever it comes up

Use brain cells.

study radicals or individual kanji

I don't have any
I did, now I've moved unto core 2/6k
I'll try this I guess

Where are you in core 2k/6k?

you appear to be doing everything right

i dont really think there's any actual problem, you have a lot of reviews because cards pile over more and more the longer you play the game

writing shit down seems kind of dumb since you're going to be taking 10-100x long per card for what may not even guarantee you retention

Everybody learns differently. Anybody who says there's an objectively right way is a fuck bag. Try a few different methods and lean on what brings results.

Yeah it's fine.
The reason might be that you have not done a lot of cards so you may not have memorised sounds to kanjis.
That will come by itself and is the reason why RTK is mostly a waste of time.

But djt says that number should only be about 10 times my new cards. Am I just a brainlet? Does reading help significantly? Because I've only just started reading.

>Am I just a brainlet?
As someone who would get 330~ average doing 30 a day from Core and doesn't consider himself to have above average intelligence my guess is that you've probably never tried to learn anything on your own before. Just keep at it.

Do you remember your percent correct by chance?

My computer crashed since so I can't prove it but as I was approaching 2.3k I dipped from 85% to 80% because of postponing them until night.

1000 cards reviewed today. Fucking hell lads

I'm extremely insecure and need someone's guidance...