Logan Lucky

Logan Lucky:
Will this be the end of Hollywood accounting?

>Soderbergh sold the film’s foreign rights in advance to finance the production;

>he then sold everything else (streaming rights, television rights, airplane replays, etc.) to finance the film’s advertising

>half the box office money goes for himself and his partners

>“There’s no intermediary,” Soderbergh explained to GQ. “The money is not passing through anybody’s hands. All these people who work for scale to make this film will literally be able to go online with a password and look at this account as the money is delivered from the theaters."

>Whereas the high costs of marketing a typical studio film require that the film earns multiples of its budget almost immediately, “Logan Lucky,” which was reportedly made for $29 million, only needs to open to approximately $15 million

nytimes.com/2017/07/31/business/media/with-logan-lucky-soderbergh-hopes-to-change-films-business-model.html?_r=0

Good on Sodebergh.

hollywood outjewed?

He's always pushed boundaries like this. Good to hear, I like the idea of medium budgeted films being produced this way, because the studios sure as shit won't

Hopefully this will pave the way for original mid-range budget movies that hollywood keeps passing over because they only like to produce shit these days

What a great guy.

Did he make up a female writer to come off as feminist or something.

We need more movies like this I agree. It's good to see that there are people willing to do small productions that aren't indie trash. The studios that used to do that basically went away in the 90s. Orion was mostly always going bankrupt and putting out fun movies.

No it won't be. But good on him.

i'm sure everyone's read "The Hollywood Economist"
pre-sell finances all indie.
whatever novel arrangement this film made is inconsequential.
studios will never allow dollar-one gross participation. it's all that matters. and if you want to audit it's $10K upfront.
hedge funds can't even get honest gross points when they finance studio slates.

I hope so, this film deserves to be a success. It seems so rare nowadays to see a film with big Hollywood names that doesn't stuff itself with bad drama or typical, overblown action scenes

I hope so, because it was a fucking great movie. Probably the best wide release film I have seen this year right after "It Comes at Night"

I hope it works out. This is a good movie and basically everyone will enjoy.

I was thinking of going to see this tomorrow, this pretty much sealed the deal. Based Sodaburg

Of course not, those are fucking peanuts for Hollywood.
Besides that, he totally shitted the bed with his marketing strategy and it opened only to 2.8 million on friday which will more than likely leave it quite short from his 15 million goal.

I really enjoyed this movie. Also there is a part where It Ain't Me starts playing.

The thing is with Soderburgh I can't tell if it was ironic or not

Also the whole argument in the jail of Winds of Winder/Dreams of Summer made me laugh way harder than i should have.
>"Watch you mean the guy the other day knows all about the hot dragon bitch

dude i hate hollywood and celebrities but i cant stop discussing them lmao

Oh yeah that scene was great, loved Dwight Yoakem as the warden. Joe Bang and Clyde were great too. Even Seth McFarlane didn't annoy the shit out of me (I mean beyond the character supposed to be unlikeable).

So will his movie be streamed as it hit the theaters

I didn't know McFarlane was in it so I thought he was Jack Black the whole time

My only real complaint with the film is that I wish they would have fleshed out The offscreen side of the heist a bit more, but that's personal preference more than anything

Care to explain some of the stuff you said user? Not challenging. Genuinely just want to learn more about what all you said.

Based Soderbergh.

Foreign rights netted him 30 mil to make the film.

He spent 20 mil on advertising, from home videos sales.

It only needed to make 15 mil to break even.

Will make less than 10.

Kek, he's fucked.

Blockbuster killed that market.

Once studios got invested heavily in international and home video by the early 90's, it went to shit.

Nah he made 3mil almost Friday, will probably get near 10 by weekend end, and literally NOTHING is coming out next weekend so I think he will make it to 15mil

No. Based on Friday sales it's ceiling is 10 mil.

It needed 15 on the opening weekend, not total.

No one gets paid beyond scale as a result.

Probably not the business model at fault. Just the movie.

There is nothing wrong with the movie other than normies hate anything other than capeshit and horror

Probably should have gone with horror then.

it needed to OPEN to 15 million. the total domestic gross needed to be much more.

While soderbergh has a neat idea on financing (although not purely original), it still does not solve the issue of studios not honoring percentage points on gross profit.

Anytime you see a movie that, despite making many millions, is claimed to have lost money, the financiers of the movie had that agreement in place. Studios will charge every frivolous expense they can to the production company to prevent paying out any money. That's why smart people, like RDJ and Marvel, ask instead for percentage points on box office gross. Never, ever ask for profit from Hollywood.

Raimi was such a big name that they really let him do anything he wanted back when he guest directed that X-Files episode

I unironically cracked a smile once it started playing, both because it's a meme song but because it was a good reveal after I was expecting some kind of fallout from Joe

My only real complaint was that things felt a bit lopsided, especially in the end once you realize the movie is ending and there are these apparent sideplots that never really got much exploration, like Channing Tatum's romance with Katherine Waterson or the bitchy FBI lady who gets introduced 20 minutes before the end, has some scenes where she gets nowhere and is then at the bar with everybody else for some reason

Totally agree. Both of those characters' subplots were barely introduced and then they came back at the end out of nowhere.

Also why did they need to hit Gleema's car again?

considering how god-awful the trailer looked I don't see how it will make any money

I guess they hit her car to ensure that she wouldn't be able to finish the cake, and thus they would be able to use the cockroaches to map which tube went to the bank vault (I think? I'm still not entirely what the roaches were for). However, this kind of ignores the question: Why did nobody think to take the cake out of the vault? Is it standard bank procedure to just leave food out in the open, in a vault no less, and not clean up at all as soon as it's quitting time? I guess the vault might be on an automatic, timed lock or something, but it's still weird.
It was a very entertaining movie all the same, there are just one or two steps of their plan that I didn't totally understand