what are the best matrixesque films ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tNY-Qy_miNQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The matrix trilogy

unironically Equilibrium
It was a great critique of communism

kung pow

Basically anything with Mila Jovovich or Kate Beckinsale.

Aeon Flux, Ultra Violet, (can't remember if Jovovich is in one or both).

Unironically thinking this pile of shit is even mediocre at best, it's laughably bad

Equilibrium sucks dick. Try Existenz, it's a Cronenberg.

Equilibrium is hot garbage. Bad writing, bad directing, bad choreography. It couldn't even properly rip-off better works.

>"better works"

like ?

kino.
digits confiirm

It was really really dumb
It felt like 1984 having been written by a 14 year old boy

Still, it's a good dumb.

I really appreciated the cheese.
A lot of it was bad but in a really good way.

>matrixesque
Do you mean sick bullet time flomo actions
Or dystopian allegory of totalitarian society ?

either or both really

>critique of communism

The Thirteenth Floor. It's shockingly bad though, not even in a funny way.

equilibrium was fucking great

Well there's Johnny Mnemonic, lots of similarities to The Matrix, it even stars Keanu. Decent gritty cyberpunk setting too.

eXistenZ

It's a filthy, bio-punk body horror version of the existential virtual reality themes of the matrix and also came out in 1999. It lacks the slick action and the A.I and dystopian themes though, which might be a plus or negative depending on what you prefer.

Someone already mentioned the thirteenth floor. Interesting, but almost entirely terrible. (also 1999).

Dark City (again, 1999) is more artsy fartsy expressionist version of the matrix which shares a lot of paranoid themes and dark gothic designs, but is without slick hong kong/anime action. This one is good, but personally I found it more forgettable than the Matrix (maybe I'm a pleb).

The original 1996 Ghost in the Shell animu. Much of the cyberpunk and A.I. aesthetics and themes. (But everyone knows this one.)

The Truman Show shares many of the paranoia and existentialism of the matrix, but is a completely different movie for the most part.

1984 is a dystopian classic, but it lacks most of the depth of the book imo. It does have great music, imagery and good performances, but don't expect cathartic action.

Brazil is a bizarre and dark dystopian movie, as if 1984 gets raped by Monty Python (beware, there are different cuts).

V for Vendetta shares much of the aesthetic and action (but without the weeaboo shit) of the Matrix (not a surprise considering the wachowski 'Sisters' wrote the screenplay). I loved this when it came out, but after reading Moore's comic I just get angry seeing it (they butchered all political nuance and much of the character progression).

Bound (1996) the wachowski debut is worth watching if you appreciate the film noir and leather fetish aspects of the Matrix. Bit hammy and over the top, but pretty decent.

The best thing scarjo ever done
Not Black Widow, Lucy or GITS
youtube.com/watch?v=tNY-Qy_miNQ