He still would have won it had he lived

He still would have won it had he lived

So, he only had to die if he lost? I guess Batman should have killed him at the first opportunity.

Get better at mental gymnastics.

He didn't expect to get BTFO by random noble prisoners with deep seated ethics and honor.

The Academy would've waited for another BBM level performance that didn't imply cowboy dick-sucking. He might have been thwarted a few years ala Leonardo DiCaprio.

Believe me, it chafed the Academy to give a serious acting award to a hammy performance in a film scripted by Goyer.

On the other hand, they'd alienate too many flyover viewers by giving the nod to Fag Cowboy.

No shit

Daily reminder this is the ONLY capeshit movie to win multiple Oscars

Why?

But that's wrong.

>Believe me, it chafed the Academy to give a serious acting award to a hammy performance in a film scripted by Goyer.
This is the same Academy that gave Leo the Best Actor award as well, correct? I'm asking because probably the membership had changed and maybe so had their standards.

Oh sure, he would have easily won for Brokeback in this day and age, and the Academy would've broken their arms patting themselves on the back for being so inclusive.
It's not the Academy that's changed, but the prevailing attitudes of the general public towards open homosexuality.

And then he'd have been completely ignored for TDK.

Other best supporting actor noms were:

Josh Brolin – Milk
Robert Downey Jr. – Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman – Doubt
Michael Shannon – Revolutionary Road

>It's not the Academy that's changed, but the prevailing attitudes of the general public towards open homosexuality.
That doesn't explain why they gave Leo the award in 2016.

At least 3 of which were superior to lip-smacking Serious Hobo.

You don't win performance Oscars reading garbage scripts, no matter how charismatic you are.

But there was a lot of Academy guilt over Brokeback. He totally outperformed Hoffman that year, let alone Terrance Howard and Pheonix.

>That doesn't explain why they gave Leo the award in 2016.
He has a lot of fans who consider him a Serious Actor with a lot of Serious Movies. At this point they just need viewers.

>You don't win performance Oscars reading garbage scripts
Would the exceptions be Les Miserables, The Help, Chicago, The Blind Side, The Reader, Forrest Gump, Scent of a Woman, A Touch of Class, and The Iron Lady? Seriously, fuck that last movie, and her horrendous performance.

All of those have better scripts that TDK.
Seriously, there are Jr High School dorks who scribble better shit in their notebooks in homeroom.

Goyer himself has admitted he's pretty shit at it in a bonus track. That's telling.

>All of those have better scripts that TDK.
They are still garbage scripts, unless you somehow think they're not, which depends on your standards.

The Nolan Trilogy would have been better if it had just been improvisation.
Nolan just "creates scenes", his work can barely be called script-writing.

>The Nolan Trilogy would have been better if it had just been improvisation.
That's an incredibly bizarre statement. When has a movie, or series of movies on that scale ever succeeded having been improvised?

The Trilogy's success is built on cinematography, style, costume and vehicles and the fact that Batman is an incredibly potent franchise.

The plot and writing of the three movies is Full Retard. It was nothing but stupid people doing stupid things for stupid reasons. It reached it's apex in TDKR, when Nolan clearly just stopped giving a shit and filmed whatever Goyer threw out there. Neither the dialogue nor the story progression makes a lick of sense in TDKR.

I don't agree with that, or what validity to your points is totally lost with hyperbole and overstatement.

You say this about a movie, which at one point has the ENTIRETY of a major city's police force, all charge into the city sewers with service pistols as a major plot point.

I wasn't even defending TDKR in particular. Going back to a previous points, plenty of bad films get Best Actress, or Best Actor awards, and also, plenty of bad performances get those awards as well.

You don't even get noms for Superhero work.
The Academy puts them at the level of Fart Comedy for the purposes of non-technical Oscars.
You'd more likely see a nom for a Slasher film under NORMAL circumstances.

>You don't even get noms for Superhero work.
Because usually, the acting is nothing special. And why the hell would you post Brando from Super Man? Is that supposed to be an example of a great performance that was snubbed because it was in capeshit?

Nope, but Chris Reeve didn't get a nom for his Supes/Clark which was a solid performance, and one incredibly beloved by audiences of the time.

Neither will you see Jacked Man or Stewart get recognition for Logan.

>and one incredibly beloved by audiences of the time.
That was probably because that was hammy as fuck. It's not like they're going to give Harrison Ford a Oscar for Indiana Jones, or Star Wars, probably because the performances, while acceptable, aren't worthy of an Oscar.

why did he constantly lick his fucking lips
it was so distracting in every scene he was in

>That was probably because that was hammy as fuck.
And we come full circle to my argument against Heat Legend, who's performance was far hammier than Reeves' Superman or Clark Kent.

It wasn't even remotely Oscar-worthy. Heat was awarded a posthumous apology-Oscar.

I felt the same way too. There's no way he would have won it if he hadn't died. It's basically an apology Oscar.

For Brokeback Mountain, specifically.
He earned the Best Actor, but Middle America was not ready then for Gay Best Actor performance.

Tom Hanks won for Philadelphia in '94.

there are many actors who won for playing gay roles before Heath, but I'm talking about Joker, the role in TDK was not worth an Oscar

Tom Hanks could get nominated for Best Actor playing a child molester.