/who/ - Doctor Who General

Cowboys vs Pirates edition.

PREVIOUSLY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Q7gMA94BjYw
youtu.be/8eCVjHJEIdM
youtube.com/watch?v=eXP5psBaOO8
docohobigfinish.blogspot.com/2014/02/fathers-day-written-by-paul-cornell-and.html?m=1
youtu.be/H9xN-fGcY5E
streamable.com/njndd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Thread theme: youtu.be/Q7gMA94BjYw

The idea of going in the wrong order (ie chronologically, not release date) intrigues me, because Doctor Who is one of the few things were it might be more interesting than confusing. Doctor Who's the product of building off reinterpreting and misinterpreting and all that after all.

troughton is sexy

wake up /who/

youtu.be/8eCVjHJEIdM

new meme epic nardole

Praise

doki doki

more warped 12 pls

What the fuck was his problem?

So, its okay to just watch the series that started in 2005?

This shit have so many stuff that is overwhelming to get into

/who/ will always recommend you delve into the classic series and Big Finish, but yeah, enjoy the new series

ree

Watch the modern series, and if you enjoy it go back and watch some classics along the way, and if you really feel like it listen to some big finish too

Absolutely, yes. You'll know if/when you want to worry about anything more than that. Just start from 2005 and you're golden. 2005, Series 1, 100% designed as jumping-on point. That's why it's series 1!

i recommend you just watch it from the beginning so you get all the references you can get all classic eps on pirate bay

Yes, start with the 2005 series - it can be watched independently of everything else. If you end up enjoying it all and want more, then there's a whole world of classic episodes, audio dramas, novels and comics out there for you to explore. If you ever need help delving into those, /who/ will be here for you.

Doctor Who is dead.

What's everyone currently watching/reading/listening to?

Alternating between listening to Dark Eyes and watching the first Doctor

Just started Torchwood Series 5/Aliens Among us! I'm a big fan of the Torchwood audios so I'm pretty keen!

What about you user?

Now that's a recipe for kino

90 percent of fans started from 2005, the old stuff is literally not needed in the slightest

youtube.com/watch?v=eXP5psBaOO8

Only the monstrous would create an infernal device like that...

That said, I would recommend the very first episode. The first episode betrays the lie that it's just old because that's actually really good, the rest of it's shit.

t. moffchad

10 is literally ticking all Edge's boxes

>What about you user?
Currently working my way through the twelfth EDA, Seeing I. It's excellent so far, but I'm really excited for the eventual reunion between Sam and the Doctor. They've been separated for almost four books now (in-world time, it's been a few years), and Sam's really matured in that time away. I really love her as a companion, so I'm curious to see what their dynamic will be like when they're together again. Seems like every time they get close to meeting each other again, they get pulled apart.

You're zipping through them!
Does it annoy you in Night of the Doctor 8 only mentions audio companions, not book ones?

pls

...in and out of the bedroom.

salsa!

...half of it I've done, and the other half I can do...

Seeing all these really makes me excited to see Thirteen's title sequence.

Me too, Lym. How have you been by the way, haven't seen you lately

Yeah, someone made a fanmade image in this style of 13, but o f c it didn't really work since there was no title sequence or costume to base it off

I hope the theme song is better than 12's

I like Capaldi's theme...

>Does it annoy you in Night of the Doctor 8 only mentions audio companions, not book ones?
A little bit. On one hand, I'm alright with just the Big Finish mentions because that retroactively "canonises" (for those that believe Doctor Who canon exists...) the novels because of the The Company of Friends audios. On the other hand, I'm a little bit sad that none of his novel companions got a shout-out. Even if it had just been Sam and Fitz, I'd have been happy. Particularly the latter, seeing as Fitz was his longest-serving companion, story-wise.

I can only imagine they didn't mention them because it was assumed, as far as Eight's companions go, the EDA companions are probably just that little bit more obscure than the Big Finish ones.

I just quietly accept he was thinking of them, even if he didn't say their names aloud.

20min into the first Torchwood S5 episode. Really, really like Mr Colchester. No opinion on Tyler.

The regular TW audios do this too, but hearing the transition buzz noise between scenes is so great. BF don't always use audio cues from their actual shows (let alone music - I implored them to use All the Strange Strange Creatures in 10's audios to no avail), but little ones like that are great.

I mean the literal opening titles, in the credits sequence, not his character musical theme (my favourite of the Doctor's) if that matters.

I think Zagreus might mention his books too, can't remember.

I'm literally ticking all your boxes You want someone to satisfy you in and out of the bedroom someone to look out for you and help you with your problems and understand the way your mind works and be patient with you be there for you and give you the attention you deserve and actually make an effort for you half of it i've done and the other half i can do i'm literally ticking everything so no i don't think i will lose i genuinely think we're matched and i genuinely think i can prove it

>I think Zagreus might mention his books too, can't remember.
There's a few that reference them, even vaguely. I think. Either way, The Company of Friends is at least the most explicit audio anthology to refer to the novels, so I'm glad it exists. No jumping through hoops needed to convince people that the novels and audios are all connected and "canon," when TCOF exists. Thank god.

It needs the correct punctuation to work.

That's true!

>how u want ur companion f a m

who was he even talking to

Bill - it turned her gay

I love his character's theme too but I was talking about the opening sequence

Too shrill for my liking!

Watching the Ice Warriors
Reading The Murder Games
Just finished Listening to Classic Doctors New Monsters.

ahahahahahahah oh man I laughed out loud at that

>"Wank. Wank. Wank. Wank. This whole episode is basically a load of old wank. If you are going to forgo pioneering storytelling in favour of a story that features two Masters and the Cybermen then you better be damn well sure of what you are doing because just writing that sentence makes me shudder a bit."

wtf was Doc Oho's problem?

You took me straight back to 2010-era Who threads with this Impact-text-over-forced-meme retro fantasy

Oh god is that supposed to be about WEAT/TDF? This is why I don't read his NuWho reviews

yep. its a terrible review. his opinions on capaldi who are the opposite of neos interestingly

He's correct about the idea being fanwanky and anyway he gave a 9/10 to the episode.

I just the review and you did cheekily leave out a positive sentence in the middle of that silly paragraph user but yeah, I agree it's a terrible review. Gotta love that "I want to Doctor Who to experiment, but hate Doctor Who being different" doublethink. He misreads a tonne of the episode too. His whole approach to the show is so alien from mine that I can't find much common ground there at all, besides praising the cast. But god I hate the concern troll attitude of criticising Capaldi Who. So many people like this are perfectly capable of articulating their viewpoints well, but retreat behind "muh ratings".

is the doctor a repitilian

Better question, is the doctor a ass or tits person?

because of his great knowledge he should know what's best. ass

I used to read Doctor Oho, but when he went back through and redid all his rtd reviews to give him better scores he lost some respect. I understand getting frustrated with Moff, but rereviewing RTD to make Moff look worse in hindsight is disingenuous. Hes also bitched more about mcgann post EDAs than hes deserved.

if you read some of his older reviews on DWRG he used to be a lot more objective. Nostalgia has made him a much worse reviewer

100%. Nothing wrong at all with getting annoyed by, or disliking, Moff's stuff, but the weird kind of ideological fixation people get on lionising RTD and doomsaying Moff and the ratings is just so old and so offputting.

I think some of these people should make peace with the fact the show will get cancelled again one day and live in the present, enjoy the ride, and stop always worrying about the ratings instead of just watching the stories. Especially if you're already a big fan of Big Finish and all that already. I feel like some of these people would much prefer the show being popular rather than the show even being something they genuinely enjoy. "Pioneering storytelling", it's all just buzzwords, cause they dismiss any of the modern attempts at that anyway. It's such a weird mindset. If I really wanted to read into it I'd say it comes from some insecurity about the show. Anyway I'm completely off the topic of Oho by now and just vaguely ranting about Moff haters online.

You would assume after living for 2000 years he would've realized ass is better, but he obviously is a tits man (timelord?) since he married River

River has some pretty hnnng tits

he's not really attracted to her though let's be honest

Alright, it'll probably take till August 30th for me to get the pdf fully set up. So if anyone wants to write something for ST Vol 2 in the meantime, go ahead.

Post your story to pastebin or use a Google Doc (Google Doc keeps formatting), and paste the link in thread, preferably as a reply to one of my posts.

>fake tripcode
?

I've put Shit Trips 2 partially together. At 8 stories, it's already 31 pages.

I'm kind of glad I'm doing a shitposty story AND a serious story for Shit Trips 2, at the very least it gives me something to do, and I'm actually in the mindset to write stuff like this rather than write music lately (it really annoys me because I do wanna write music, but the motivation isn't coming to me).

Hey hey! I've got all my shit trips done and ready to go

I was gonna write a serious story in addition to my shitposts but oh well.

And don't worry Lym, I'm sure you'll find the motivation

I mean, I think theres always been a bit of a bias to Oho's opinions and he's always been very strongly opinionated(Fuck, he's the only person I know of to HATE Father's Day. ) but I think digging in his heels to bash Moff the way he does is a disgrace: what kind of person will praise the Slitheen for their shitty design and characters but bash the wood girl thing from knock knock for being shitty? Like, to me theyre both as terrible as the other, the only difference is Knock Knock is one episode where as the slitheen is 2 episodes and come back again.

On the whole the whole doom thing from the fandom is fuckin' stupid as hell anyways. Yeah the show is going to change. But you know what else? Material to evoke an era of the show you like will keep being made as well. Its one of the coolest parts about doctor who: i havent been a huge fan of capaldi, but I havent gotten super negative because Big Finish and 11 books have really hit the spot when things havent been what I wanted.

kek

what the fuck's going on with the trips

Its hard for me to do a straight shitpost story. The best I could do was a stupid amount of fanwank that wasnt really so much funny as it was a sensible chuckle here and there at all the references i made. And even then I shoehorned extra references.

Eh, I would say he is. Remember Matt's "Yowzers!" from Angels Take Manhattan?

How the fuck do you hate Father's Day? That's one of the best episodes of NuWho

Looks like someone is trying to impersonate other tripfags but doesn't realise that it's really obvious.

I'm all for strong opinions, but "I'm so excited/passionate about this opinion of mine" is so much nicer than "IM RIGHT YOURE WRONG" style. Trying to envision NewWho as some huge personality contest between RTD and Moff is just so lame, and like you say, so transparently a silly thing, just look at the Slitheen vs wood girl, people make it a grand RTD vs Moff narrative. I wonder if it drives them loopy that RTD and Moff are mates that respect each other tonnes and love each other's writing.

>On the whole the whole doom thing from the fandom is fuckin' stupid as hell anyways. Yeah the show is going to change. But you know what else? Material to evoke an era of the show you like will keep being made as well. Its one of the coolest parts about doctor who: i havent been a huge fan of capaldi, but I havent gotten super negative because Big Finish and 11 books have really hit the spot when things havent been what I wanted.

10000000000000000000%, I can't agree with you more. Nailed it. The show will always be in a golden age for some and a shit age for others, rather than REEEEEing when you don't like the current era, why not just relax and let other people enjoy it? Everything will change again soon enough anyway. That's the whole idea of the show.

I was struggling with writing funny stories until Immigrant advised me to just drop the humour if I was struggling and write whatever I felt like, came much easier after that. I think my stories ended up as massive fanwank but hopefully some amusing moments crept in when I wasn't looking.

Father's Day is such cornellkino, he's so GOAT.

docohobigfinish.blogspot.com/2014/02/fathers-day-written-by-paul-cornell-and.html?m=1

Because he finds it so sentimental that it makes everyone into an asshole. And he hates reset buttons(but loves Parting of the Ways despite that. )

>likes doctor who
>hates reset buttons
>but hates stories referencing previous stories
??? He's an odd one.

This guy sounds like a retard, almost every Doctor Who story ends with a reset button

Well, not in classic who. But then Tom Baker would just run off and not accept the consequences.

what are we streaming tonight lads

hopefully something

youtu.be/H9xN-fGcY5E

...we should stream The Sun Makers.

Being a classic who actor seems comfy as shit. Get to go on vacations worldwide all the time, have people line up and give you money for autographs, etc.

>The Sun Makers
Didn't that get streamed not too long ago?

...we should stream the Being a classic who actor seems comfy as shit. Get to go on vacations worldwide all the time, have people line up and give you money for autographs, etc.

...we should stream I'm kind of glad I'm doing a shitposty story AND a serious story for Shit Trips 2, at the very least it gives me something to do, and I'm actually in the mindset to write stuff like this rather than write music lately (it really annoys me because I do wanna write music, but the motivation isn't coming to me).

troughton is sexy

...I don't get this joke, user.

...we should stream .̡.͖͇͔̪̜̜̯.͓̣̤w̪̼̫̹͍̤ȩ͍̣̠̰ ̡̜̬̹͕͚s̰h̫̣͉̤͡o̺̬͍͍͙̻u̘̭̫̤̘͖̤ĺ̤d͓͉̱͓͉͇͖ ̢̰̙̖͚ͅș͈̙̩̥̮͈t̶̙̱r̴e̷̻̪͔ḁ̫͟m̯ ̨

We should stream streamable.com/njndd !

Forced meme.

...we should stream forced memes