Brian De Palma Appreciation Thread

Scarface is shit, but he really is the GOAT director. What's his best, and why is it Phantom of the Paradise?

De Palma sucks

>Scarface is shit

Gen Z shit babby detected. Grow some fucking cojones.

Phantom of The Paradise is fucking great. I am partial to Blowout and I have a soft spot for Snake Eyes.

Zack Snyder rocks?

Scarface IS shit. I love De Palma, but he was not the right director for that movie. Not that his directing was the main problem with it.

The scene in Blowout where the camera is spinning while Travolta lines up the audio and visuals of the crash is fucking Kino, ending is great too. De Palma knew how to make a damn good thriller. Blowout also showed me why Travolta was such a popular leading man as I hadn't seen his other early films like Grease and Saturday night fever- very charismatic indeed

I wasn't big on Blow Out the first time I saw it, but I've been starting to appreciate it more. More than anything I want a Blow Out musical.

Not the guy you're responding too but I honestly think De Palma is probably the reason Scarface is so iconic. His direction and, obviously, Pacino's performance elevated Stone's script. Oliver Stone's screenwriting ability in general is probably a bit overrated

>I honestly think De Palma is probably the reason Scarface is so iconic.

Yeah, there's some very stunning scenes in it that only he could've been responsible for, but altogether I think the whole thing was a mistake.

This thread reminded me that I've had Blow Out sitting in my list for 2 months and I still haven't gotten round to it.

>Phantom of the Paradise

Remake when? I have some ideas for it and a cast in mind, inspired by Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Rock & Rule, and Kanye West.

The story is meh but the visuals are very good, especially the colors. It's a vaporwave movie.

What the fuck are you talking about? None of what you said is even remotely applicable to Blowout

genuinely underrated director

Which is why I want to appreciate him. No one ever talks about The Fury.

Think he meant Scarface.

>mfw when my ex looks exactly like Jessica Harper in this film

>Scarface is shit
You're right.

The Fury is fucking great. It takes some cojones to end a movie like that.

That was actually one of the ideas I had for the remake.

I watched Scarface for the first time last week. I thought it was awesome. Is hating the movie just an edgy thing edgy people do?

Yes. I've never seen much criticism other than people blaming their opinion on retards that idolize Tony. Basing your view of a film on others is Pleb tier

Amy Irving's fantastic. She was great in Carrie, I'm glad De Palma recognized she needed her own movie.

>Is hating the movie just an edgy thing edgy people do?

Yup, Scarface is the ultimate tale of chasing the american dream and taking it a step too far.

It's too long, boring, and has terrible casting.
Scarface should've been an 1 hour and 42 minute movie directed by Michael Mann and starring actual Latinos.

Tony was a retarded asshole the entire movie, I had no sympathy for him.

Why did Swan want to kill Phoenix anyway

What do you think about Femme Fatale and Raising Cain?

Good god no. The reason it works is because it was made in the 70s. It'd be hot garbage if it was made today.

Really? There's a lot to write about the color red in Blowout

>It'd be hot garbage if it was made today.
why?

Femme Fatale is one of his very best films. It's a masterpiece.

Most retarded thing I ever heard, if Scarface didn't fall in Palmas lap no one would have ever heard of him. That being said , Scarface is fucking great and Palmas directing made that film wonderful

I dig Raising Cain's atmosphere. It has that low budget early 90s tv soap opera feel kinda like Twin Peaks. And Lithgow is great of course.

>if Scarface didn't fall in Palmas lap no one would have ever heard of him.

what is Carrie you dumb cunt

the scene from Hi, Mom! about the black experience is so amazing

That sequence is horrifying

I don't know, what is it?

I was interesting how the everything was a dream approach made everyone mad, for me it was impressive as the whole movie.

>DUDE I DONT HAVE AN ENDING SO LET JUST PRETEND IT WAS A DREAM LMAO

Nobody's gonna bring up Patrick Bateman's favorite movie, the endlessly entertaining Body Double starring a young Bill Maher?

How? It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I'll be so fucking glad next month when you and all your underage friends are in school.

THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU

I'm 33

If you're 33 and have never heard of Carrie then you don't belong here. You clearly don't appreciate film. Or alternatively you're just lying and in actuality are an underage faggot. Either way fucking neck yourself my man.

I have seen Carrie, it's ok.

Now go fuck yourself

>I have seen Carrie, it's ok.

Carrie is right next to The Shining in the canon of greatest horror movies. Excellent cinematography and acting as well.

Is that the rapist dude from Berserk?

no.

DePalma's my favorite Director and his greatest strength, his visual style, is his greatest weakness. Rather than focus on a strong script and build it from there visually, he's more interested in fucking around with the camera and tailors the script to his whims.

And, yes, he rips off Hitchcock too much, not just from a technical point of view, but even rehashing scenarios and concepts.

His best films are Carrie, Scarface, Phantom of the Paradise, Mission: Impossible and The Untouchables.

The recent doc about him was good but considering that his career spans approx. 50 years I would have liked something more in depth that interviewed people who worked with him.

Anywho, M:I was his last great movie and that was 21 years ago. Everything he's done since then has been half assed trash!!!FACT!!!

Scarface is one of the best movies of the 80's because it encapsulates EVERYTHING that the 80's were about.

I wish he'd do a MIAMI VICE reboot set in 1986 and cast Chris Pine and Anthony Mackie as Crockett and Tubbs, filled with neon and synth!!!FACT!!!

This

>Bill Maher

Not Bill Maher, that's Craig Wasson who was in A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors!!!FACT!!!

He's better than Hitchcock.
>his greatest strength, his visual style, is his greatest weakness. Rather than focus on a strong script and build it from there visually, he's more interested in fucking around with the camera and tailors the script to his whims.

The only movie where I feel like that's a big problem is Blow Out.

No love for Michael Mann? Vin Diesel's doing a new Miami Vice show.

Oh, I do love his Miami Vice film from 2006. Just a really good lean thriller, at least the theatrical edition which I prefer. But I'd like to see a full on remake set in the 80's!!!FACT!!!

Just watch Miami Vice.

> I'd like to see a remake

Go neck yourself