31-year old plot hole

He must have deliberately programmed the computer to combine any DNA it detected, otherwise it would have detected an unexpected situation and crashed.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QizX5msl-G0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Then we wouldn't have had a movie, fuckwad

Hindsight is always 20/20.

If memory serves, wasn't it a teleportation machine? His molecules got combined with the fly when they both teleported at the same time.

Only if he used a typed language, faggot.

The real plothole is, could Gina Davis live on his planet?

was there a little fly buzz around slowly mutating into jeff goldblum?

Nature uh uh finds a way

I just assumed the computer was a basic AI that attempted to solve issues that arose on it's own.

I feel awful when he's turned into a door

no. brundle and the small fly were fused into one. the fly inside of him was suppressed after the fusion, and just got activated more and more later on.

oh, right. its been a long time since ive seen

it doesnt make sense anyway, if he had a fucking tapeworm, the computer would have fused him with that too.

Why didn't he fuse with the teleporter if he could fuse with the teleporter door?

What the fuck are you talking about? It's not meant to combine DNA at all, it's only meant to teleport stuff.

It was almost like it were a virus in his body. A retrovirus. Maybe it had to do with quantity? Like, the fly is tiny and Jeff is huge, so it took a long time. If it were two comparably sized people at once, it would've happened faster.

the computer created a new hybrid DNA. A different genome, but the cells still looked human. A new genetic program, but inside of human cells. the new hybrid DNA got transcribed+translated, and the new DNA code made new weird proteins, that transformed the body.
I bet there were some fly-looking cells inside his body that transformed into human ones, but they were not shown in the movie, maybe they were hidden inside his body or got destroyed by his immunosystem.

>I was not pure. The teleporter insists on inner purity; I was not pure. A fly...got into the transmitter pod with me that first time when I was alone. The computer got...confused, there weren't supposed to be two separate genetic patterns, and it decided to, erm...splice us together. It mated us, me and the fly. We hadn't even been properly introduced. [Smiles] My...teleporter turned into a gene-splicer. And a very good one. Now I'm not Seth Brundle anymore. I'm the offspring of...Brundle and housefly.

obviously the computer doesnt only teleport matter, but also disassembled/reassembled you.
brundle says the computer did not know what to do, and accidentally gene-spliced the two organisms, that implies combining dna.

How come when he zoomed in on his DNA, there was a picture of a fly in it?

Talk about kek.

The human body has about a pound of bacteria inside it. There are more bacterial cells than human in your system, and they all have genetic code.

Goldblum should have mutated into a giant microbe or some shit.

maybe it doesnt work with intron less genes, bacteria dont have introns

What about the dna in the food he ate for dinner... what about the dna in the bacteria in his body... what about the fecal matter in his colon... what about this piss in his bladder...

What about the dust motes in the air...

what about demodex mites living in your eyelash follicles

Brundle-Demodex has a ring to it

it was just an extrapolation of the genetic code's outcome.
super advanced computerized genome annotation & structure prediction.
then the computer found out that it's prediction resembled a fly, and displayed it.

It's obviously programmed with those parameters in mind. Although in a generic replecatable way. He makes the program, crazy about flesh and fucks up its idea of transporting live tissue reliably.

food dna gets digested into single nucleotides.

I guess brundle had charted already all bycatch genomes so that the computer knew what to do with them, and how to keep them out ot brundle's dna, to keep brundle pure.
but not flies. he forgot to 'define fly'.

This essentially. The computer doesn't know what the heck it is. It didn't even know what Brundle was and he already defined himself previously.

I saw the sequel to this not long ago on netflix. It's fucking horror-kino, complete with some quality /ourguy/ as the Fly himself. If there is enough demand (you)ing this post maybe I'll set up a rabb.it stream later tonight.

I seen and wasn't impressed. By all means though knock yourself up.

*out

The Fly II is awful.

So which is it?

Can't be both.

it belongs to Bartok industries. that's their fault.

no no, both.
the computer can extrapolate the gestalt of the organism encoded by any DNA, but only when asked to.

It's excellent. The first movie has this huge buildup to Goldbloom becoming a giant fly and then he just maims a guy and gets killed. In the sequel the guy that goes Fly goes on a badass killer rampage, hunting people through the facility Alien-style, but with face-melting special effects.

Doesn't it call the separate DNA "Not-Brundle"? Not fly or possibly insect in nature, just "not-brundle".

I liked "knock yourself up" better tbf

what about the billions of bugs constantly living on and in your body?
what about the food in his stomach and intestine?
why did it take a fly to turn him into a monster

why did he become a total jerk? are flies jerks???
what would he have eventually mutated into?

I don't think its awful, it just doesn't compare at all to the original. If it were a standalone film with a similar premise I think it would be more well liked. The effects are amazing as is the gore, and there are some great scenes like the mutant dog. Its just a typical 80's monster gore film and on those merits its acceptable. As a sequel to Cronenberg's The Fly it stinks though.

I did too desu.

He talks about "Insect Politics" and how it doesn't exist. Insects are brutal and uncaring and his judgment or lack of will surface.

Also he's going mad, seeing himself fall apart and his higher brain function falling away.

the computer does not know that the other organism is a fly, or what a fly actually is (like said). the computer just found a match between the public database image of a normal fly and that thing it just extrapolated. the approximation algorithm came up with that picture as an approach to graphically present the most probable result of Brundle's query. The computer lacks any taxonomy catalogue skills.
Obviously Brudle's strategy to combining various technologies delivered a flawed or erroneous or unreliable system.

you stupid fuck, read

never reply to me again

I get you. Its funny that after voice verification, the computer just "breaks" and switches over to keyboard input. No lock out or password required.

>Obviously Brudle's strategy to combining various technologies delivered a flawed or erroneous or unreliable system

>If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you want to sell it.

Interesting connection between his two biggest roles I think

Wasn't there a way for the computer to do a fission of Brundle-fly? The computer must've had a recording of Seth's DNA and the fly's DNA so just use the 3 telepods to separate the fly genes from Seth.

>computer is told reassemble everything into pure brundle
>except some defined impure stuff
>computer then finds stuff that is not-brundle but also pure
>so it gets assembled into brundle, too

the algorithm design was shitty

sorry

this would have enabled the computer to create hundreds of Brundles. Quite obviously that Brundle had made that impossible.

No wonder she got pregnant after he became a fly. I find it sexy that she said "no body fluids left". There must have been a lot of loads expended.

Well his or the computer's solution to the problem is to purify his DNA with more human DNA. Which is why he wanted to go through with Gena Davis and the baby.

I'd also add that he is addicted to the power the Fly gives him. People often say the movie is an allegory of AIDS or disease but I'd say its more like an addiction to heroin. He feels stronger and faster and smarter and he doesn't want to give it up no matter how it destroys his body. By the time he realizes whats happening he's too far gone to think of getting rid of the Fly.

Man... Brundle could have really benefitted from a master Linux (?) programmer to deal with all the undefined parameters.

Not purify, only dilute. Purify is Fly II. Brundle chose to dilute the fly DNA portion with more human DNA. Which was a stupid idea anyway since the baby would have brought only even more fly or wacky-hybrid DNA into the resulting thing.

most of those don't know what zoology is to begin with. and he clearly did NOT want to have some Stallman in his loft, pissing him off with smart remarks and distracting him with throwing LSD parties.

Anybody else find it funny that he only decided to go through after getting BUZZED?

Kek

>I've never taken a single Computer Science class

enjoy wagekukery at the local kino all your life!

This pic of the fictional Particle magazine cover was right after Stathis Borans seen Geena Davis buying the leather jacket for Seth Brundle.

Which is a nice detail and also a passive aggressive jab by Borans to his ex-gf.

I cried at the end desu

>If it were two comparably sized people at once, it would've happened faster.

Doesn't he combine a chimpanzee and a cat to find a way to reverse the transformation, and CatDog (well, PussyKong) comes out?

No, just a baboon.

Nah, it's 40/40, better than 20/20.

That scene was cut.
youtube.com/watch?v=QizX5msl-G0

That would be 15/15.

How would Brundle Baboon turns out? Probably a straight up enhancement. This movie needs to happen

Oh wow.

Wasn't there talk of a remake (again) a couple years back? Who would you have cast?

I'm not good at this, but half the chemistry between Davis and Goldblum is because they were relatively a new couple.

plenty of multicellular bugs living on the skin & hair tho

wrong & gay

that's a simpson episode dummy

Hello! Human fly here.

yea but earlier in the movie i think he comments on some food he teleported as tasting like what the machine thought the food was supposed to be (i want to say it was a pork chop or something) and not exactly right even though it had the right texture and everything something seemed off

so even if it worked as intended he might not have come out the same

That's what happens in the black and white original, without the mutating aspect. The scientist and the fly just exchange their heads and one of their arms. The film contains a scene where scientistfly gets caught in a spider's web and, screaming for help, is eventually eaten.

Steak user. Davis said it tasted synthetic.

Why does The Fly still have some of the best practical effects around????

see

The answer is Cronenberg and Stan Winston's creature shop.

he just had to find prefusion pure Brundle cells from his comb or razor, tell the computer to fuse them & repeat the process till he's happy with it i.e. still have super strength and stamina

nah he could supplement the computer after she told him about human flesh

maybe the computer did not work with dead cells any longer since it became crazy about real flesh
also that might have fused him with a razor

It's important to note that Bundle died during teleportation and Brundle fly was born. With the logistics of not turning inside out, it's weird how memory isn't affected. For one short term memory is a work process, and long term memory is less than perfect.

He probably would have been fine with just one teleportation, but he kept going through because of how good it made him feel, further perfecting the combination, making it closer and closer to one being each time. Then it was too late.

>just untransport until fly comes back
>wala

I wonder what kind if throughput the transporter had? To copy, read and encode individual DNA would require an alienware laptop at least.

the computer recreated the positions of synapses and the number of neurons perfectly. memory was preserved.
the additional teleportations did not change him further. unless there were some other flies in the pod.

just tell the computer to abort teleport if an unexpected genome turns up then

dilute himself with live cells from his closest relative then

Like the movie and anons said, he just slapped this together. He was no more a programmer than a molecular biologist. He just knew what he wanted it do and never really thought every possibility out.

The machine assumed one organism at a time. That's why all the DNA got mixed together. Which is fine, except it's dumb a teleporter even knows about DNA when ripping apart molecules.

god damn it you ruined the movie for me. hope you're happy

Not with that fucking dog puppet. No sir.

He doesn't get eaten, some guy squishes him (and the spider) with a rock to put him out of his misery

So why is the transformation so weird? Like, first he gets super strong, feels great, break that guys arm at the bar, then he starts to deteriorate more and more until being a disgusting, weak shadow of his former self. Then the fly burst trough this chrysalis and is super strong again

>weak shadow of his former self
nigga he breaks thru a glass brick wall & carries Geena like shes nothing

He started out as pretty fly for a white guy.
Then he became less pretty, but ever so fly.