What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

ign.com/articles/2017/08/26/netflixs-death-note-willem-dafoe-talks-ryuk-and-skipping-the-source-material
youtube.com/watch?v=eehdWTyQrjg
youtube.com/watch?v=bpfZF6H8xMs
youtube.com/watch?v=MHOx8yDfWQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=yXOCFn9jtx4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Everything

Critics never saw the anime and don't understand the camp appeal.
Audiences are tumblrinas who unironically think that Death Note's story is good.

>be adam
>make You're Next and the Guest
>generally well liked and shows a lot of promise
>make Blair Witch
>everyone hates it
>makes Death Note
>everyone hates it
>working on Kong v Godzilla
>.......
maybe he should stick with doing his own thing?

>Critics never saw the anime and don't understand the camp appeal.
According to Dafoe neither did the cast, which explains a lot.

Link?

ign.com/articles/2017/08/26/netflixs-death-note-willem-dafoe-talks-ryuk-and-skipping-the-source-material

>What went wrong?

Making a teenage black comedy in the vein of Heathers but adding in a super genius detective and having to make it believable that he would struggle against two kid who aren't

>you wanna come over later, watch a movie, and maybe write some names down?
An actual line from the movie

Yeah, and it's funny.
The movie fucking ruins itself when it tries to use L though.

nothing
unless you're a weaboo

Don't forget
>Make the only good segment of VHS

>there are people who actually took Death Note seriously

The original manga and anime were unintentionally corny as fuck, in that regard the people involved with this made a faithful adaptation

youtube.com/watch?v=eehdWTyQrjg

That's fantastic.

It's trash based on trash directed by a meme director stuck in the meme 80s

>Light being a beta cuck being manipulated by a random girl instead of a dilligent prodigy student who turns into a full blown sociopath with a pathetic, begging end.
>L being SO COOL AND QUIRKY instead of a weird fucking rich boy hikki detective.
>Cutting the entire story portion of the FBI agent's fiance
>Final Destination kills

Among a lot of other things. Ryuk was the only thing handled half decently. Glad they left out the majority of the second half of the anime though, Near and Mello just aren't needed and a lot of their story arcs suck.

>L being SO COOL AND QUIRKY

He was a fucking sperg

>Ryuk was the only thing handled half decently.

Pretty much all he ever did was stand in a corner and laugh. I don't think he even ate a single apple.

>I don't think he even ate a single apple.
He ate a dozen throughout the movie

People who knew the source material either hate it for not being an exact clone or mildly enjoyed the alterations but were put off by the awful acting.

Normal people didn't bother watching it because it was based off some geek shit they had never heard of.

Yeah, but in a way that is intentionally appealing. He's way more autistic in the anime, in the film he's just some fucking guy acting kiddo cool with black outfits and a black mask.

Not even getting into how fucking terrible his introduction was compared to in the anime. I get that they have to condense everything into a an hour and forty minutes but they could've had some kind of build up to him and his confrontation of Kira.

They ran the apple gag into the ground, nigga, did you even watch or are you trying to be funny?

>speedwatching

Ryuk was off character, he's supposed to be this neutral (ish) observer but instead he's a huge dick and goes against Light in the latter half, even though in the original he only kills him after Light has already "lost", which Ryuk said he would, and that's only at the very very end.

It is probably deserving of worse. Fuck off with your shit netflix trash

He's pretty playful in the anime, especially early on, which seems to be their primary goal with Ryuk in the film. He obviously doesn't go through any of the changes he did in the anime, but I felt like his overall tone and banter towards Light wasn't too dissimilar from the anime nor was it a particularly negative change.

>there are people like this alive today who could conceivably reproduce.

What works better, when the movie is completely about these dumb teens using the note, or when it pretends they are smart?

Was the absence of L really the only reason the second half of the anime was so disappointing?

>take one scene that is notoriously over the top from the show as an example of the show as a whole

its okay to admit you've never seen the original and are just a retard who likes bad movies friend.

Mosty. Mello and Near are fucking awful.

Critics who have never seen the anime picked up that they left too much plot out of the final cut.

No, but Near, who filled more or less the same role as L only a bit more ruthlessly, wasn't as interesting a character, and his pursuit of Light wasn't nearly as exciting. The introduction of Mello as an antagonist and the overall story arc surrounding Mello and Near were pretty bad and nowhere near as interesting as the first half of the show.

Near a cute tho

What. I really liked Near and Mellow they just didnt had much screentime.
youtube.com/watch?v=bpfZF6H8xMs

>hey wanna come over later to Netflix and Chill?
>Netflix and Chill? more like Netflix and Kill
>*Ryuk winks at camera and farts*

Serious things can have silly moments, hell the second opening has Ryuk dancing with an apple while seizure tastic rave lights flash in the backgrounds. The whole thing is really silly, energetic and over the top compared to the first one which tried to be dramatic and angsty.

the climax of trash in the movie was when Light thought if he wrote "mia takes the death note, then dies" that it's somehow a conditional statement and that he didn't literally mind control her and force her to take the fucking notebook regardless of how she felt.

>Netflix and Chill? more like Netflix and Kill
>*Ryuk winks at camera and farts*

Are you getting mad over your own joke?

One primary thing that the film complete failed miserably at was Light's descent into complete sociopathy. His character progression from arrogant, prodigy student to sociopath messiah to a pathetic mess when he realises his jig is up and he has to face the facts that he's just a fucking kid and that it's over was one of the best parts of the show.

The last episodes with his complete breakdown when he realises there's no longer a way out for him is really fucking good.

>tfw you will never commit sudoku with a pen

youtube.com/watch?v=MHOx8yDfWQQ

Death Note is something you take seriously when you're like, 15 and an edgy teenager. As an adult it's just campy entertainment.

>One primary thing that the film complete failed miserably at was Light's descent into complete sociopathy.

It can't fail at something it didn't even want to do.

It really was good, his utter desperation in the end making him come off as a pathetic child, the PROTAGONIST being reduced to that, was really good.

yeah pretty much. it fucked the whole dynamic of the show because nobody else could compete with light for a long time so he got lazy then he didn't stand a chance when near showed up because he was caught off guard.

no, that makes no sense

No, that's true. I'll rephrase it then as one of the primary missed opportunities for the film to adapt.

The discrepancy between the critic rating, the audience rating, and the "top critic" rating is hilarious.

I'll take this great premise... AND RUIN IT

Yes thats true. I couldnt even really watch how pathetic he tried to stand up on that puddle of blood because you never have seen him like this. Also Mikami going apeshit crazy because his god is lying on the ground moving like a worm.
I can understand that most people didnt like Near and Mellow but i really liked them.
Near was more "cold" than L because he didnt had that friendship bond that L had with light. The reason L probably lost against light was because of the friendship, which near didnt had with him. Also Mellow who tried to open more perspectives through a suicide mission just to help out near. I really liked everyone in death note to be honest. It was very well done.
Also the OST of it was so good and always fit the atmosphere. It was kind of a trademark in Death note to hear the special soundtrack when one major character appears.

The death note movie just put some random songs in it. They didnt even try to surpass the anime. They just did something and hoped to cash in on it.

>Light being a beta cuck being manipulated by a random girl instead of a dilligent prodigy student who turns into a full blown sociopath with a pathetic, begging end.
Did you even watch the film? he manipulated her, not the other way around.

He only manipulated her, perhaps by accident, at the very end.

It's awful unwatchable garbage.

Campy entertainment that is still compelling and tense however. It's over the top and you know it. But even if an adult who hasn't seen it before watches that first L bait on tv with the book they're still going to be surprised and go huh neat didn't see that coming.

Did he really thought he could do a if clause in that book or did he just say that to her? I mean it was obvious that everything next to the name would be the reason that would lead to the death.

HURR IM 16 NOW ALL THAT STUFF FROM BEFORE IS FOR BABIES DERPIEDERP

anyways the pen scene only happened in the anime (which was a retarded scene, but again only one scene), in the manga he basically tells light to fuck off.

Mikami tells light to fuck off? You made me curious. Could just sum up what happend in the manga?

>Did he really thought he could do a if clause in that book or did he just say that to her?

I think he was just saying it to her, but then she refused the book and said she loved him - which he did NOT write, and so was suckered in for a little bit more.

>Also the OST of it was so good and always fit the atmosphere. It was kind of a trademark in Death note to hear the special soundtrack when one major character appears.
yes, you'll notice most themes have a running clock theme to them, which highlights the cat and mouse dynamics and the need to act fast/being under pressure and surveilance

Well i hope so. It felt like he meant to write "If she ever takes my book, mia dies".
Also burining sites is kinda dumb to erase names only ONCE possible. And why couldnt other people see ryuk. New rules were stupid.

>Buuurps
>Hey hey light
>God's of death aren't real light
>Farts
>You know what is real light?
>Szechuan sauce
>Forget apples, forget God's of death and notebooks
>Szechuan sauce, Light. That's all that really matters
>Vomits and burps again
>Get schwifty light wooo

youtube.com/watch?v=yXOCFn9jtx4
Yes, all sound just a bit different but with the main melody. Jesus i really loved the OST. It kinda set you in the right mood if you see the main character. Near and Ls theme sound even similiar in some points. God i really love the OST of death note. The movie didnt give a shit and just did a casual 80s feel.

>higher RT score than BvS

if by "manipulated her" you mean "was horny and used his god powers to get some pussy while she actually made all the important decisions" then sure, whatever you say.

God damn it. I start to enjoy that shitpost.

the shit I took yesterday has a higher RT score than BVS.

why would he say that to someone he was killing? that makes no sense. that whole scene was fucking pointless if he legit thought there was any way she wouldn't die.

I asked a couple nights ago about tips in how to check if someone tries to get inside your house. (Like how Light used his trick to know if someone came into his bedroom).

The wedge worked, guys. Thanks for the tip. But someone did unlock the front door even though they couldn't fully open it. Not only that but today I found a hole under my backyard's walls. Like when a dog digs a hole to pass under fences and shit, but this one was way too big to be dog-made.

It is happening guys, someone is trying to break into my house and possibly kill me. So I just want to thank you guys for all the fun we had.

I was okay with the movie portraying the person that anime Light THOUGHT he was (someone out to make a better world without aggrandizing himself and avoiding innocent deaths wherever he could)

Light's descent into psychosis is even a little fast in the anime, one episode he's just a bored student and the next episode he literally thinks he's a god and cackles while killing his opponents

Anime Light might have always been kind of a piece of shit of course.

The movie would have been better formatted in a mini series, there's just way too much stuff to cram into well under two hours

Haha I get it you, ate some rotten tomatoes didn't you silly!

He wrote "when she accepts the note from her boyfriend". I guess he meant it as a small "fuck you".

>It is happening guys, someone is trying to break into my house and possibly kill me.

can you send them to my house instead, i hate my life

You don't sound too fazed by it user. Sound interesting tell me more about the high level drug trade.

yeah I remember you user!

that's really spooky good luck

That's pretty much it.

So wait, he the loyal Mikami just abandoned light like this?

whao

>The reason L probably lost against light was because of the friendship

Nah, the reason L lost was because a Shinigami had to come and personally kill him. He lost to the power of LOVE.

Oh man, the manga ending was so much more satisfying to me than the anime was.

After Mikami denounces Light, Light goes off saying he has one more master plan, nobody can stop it... He goes and begs Ryuk to save him, to write down the name of everyone else in the warehouse. Ryuk says sure, he'll write in his notebook, and everyone else has already touched the notebook so they start going crazy and trying to shoot Ryuk, even though they know it won't do anything.

As Light is laughing at everyone about to die, Ryuk shows him the notebook, it has Light's name written on it. He tells him that this was what he promised back in the beginning, that Ryuk will write down Light's name at the end of everything, how heaven and hell don't exist, all humans are equal in death. Light starts begging for his life and how he doesn't want to die, it's so pathetically lovely.

I should make a big image to post with the pages.

but it's great?

So he never see's a ghost of L then like in the anime?

Just finished sticking Light's final moments into three images for the resolution limit. See for yourself.

People have been saying Ryuk wasn't very ruthless compared to the netflix version, and that's how I know they watched the anime but didn't read the manga.

Should have been a show

>Turning Light from an Ubermensch with a God complex into a pussy whipped underdog

Making Light more sympathetic was the biggest mistake. Even though western audiences ate up Breaking Bad, the producers and writers still felt like people couldn't handle a movie with a villain protagonist.

But Ryuk only becomes this ruthless at the very end of the manga, when Light finally loses and would spend the rest of his life in prison otherwise.

>after they die, the place they go to is Sup Forums
sounds about right